Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

another cool visit to the Zombie Hut in Brooklyn and a Mai Tai dilemma at home

Pages: 1 19 replies

D

Aloha people...

Here once again to give my props to the Zombie Hut in Brooklyn, perhaps in my opinion, the coolest, classiest Tiki bar in all of Gotham. I had another very cool visit there this past weekend. My girlfriend and I had a couple of Mai-Tais and a very cool Scorpion Bowl, and the bartender/owner was cool enough to give us a couple of "Tiki Torch" shots on the house. The Tiki Torch is basically a shot of Bacardi Limon topped with a lemon slice sprinkled with brown sugar and 151 then SET 'alight' (as the British say). Very cool. They also offer the Suffering Bastard, Frozen Zombies and other drinks. The drink menu is a direct rip-off, or should I say homage to Trader Vic being that the art-work was directly lifted off of the TV 'cartoon' (if you will) menu (not sure what years that came from). Now here's the deal, the Mai-Tais were made with Amaretto & Triple Sec, and were very good!! Better than the original, I dare say, that contain Curacao & Orgeat. I tried to replicate this at home and I'll be damned if I couldn't do it. The ones I made at home with these Zombie Hut ingredients sucked!! Mayhaps I missed something? I'm sure some of you out there know this recipe......any tips????
Til nex time.....mahalo!! :sheckymug:

[ Edited by: donhonyc on 2003-05-05 09:07 ]

MC

I would love to visit Zombie Hut once again. i live in Manhattan (as does Inky Louise) so I've been lazy about visiting. I have some posters for Hukilau that I need to try to post there. Maybe with your help, I can give them to you to give to the manager?

I went to WW last night. I filled the 5-disk changer with Denny, Lyman, Aloha Elvis, and classic Hawaiian songs--it helped alot. Yeah--the bar countertop smelt like it was wiped with a yucky rag. But, I usually stay in the side room anyway. I went after midnight, and by that time most of the crowds were gone. And because I'm on painkillers right now, I didn't have to be fussy about the drinks (I can't drink alcohol). Kareoke is always fun. Too bad you can't stand Wally's. I'm lucky that I like it alot.

K
Klas posted on Sun, May 4, 2003 12:11 PM

On 2003-05-01 21:44, donhonyc wrote:

Now here's the deal, the Mai-Tais were made with Amaretto & Triple Sec, and were very good!! Better than the original, I dare say, that contain Curacao & Orgeat. I tried to replicate this at home and I'll be damned if I couldn't do it. The ones I made at home with these Zombie Hut ingredients sucked!! Mayhaps I missed something? I'm sure some of you out there know this recipe......any tips????

Here's a recipe that contains both Amaretto and Triple Sec. Haven't tried it myself though :wink:

http://www.barnonedrinks.com/recipes/cocktails/m/maitai2.html

[ Edited by: Klas on 2003-05-04 12:11 ]

T
thejab posted on Sun, May 4, 2003 1:05 PM

On 2003-05-01 21:44, donhonyc wrote:

Now here's the deal, the Mai-Tais were made with Amaretto & Triple Sec, and were very good!! Better than the original, I dare say, that contain Curacao & Orgeat.

Although I'm sure they were very good, I don't understand why people often use Amaretto as a substitute for orgeat. Amaretto is made from apricot pits and is not almond flavored. So it wouldn't be a true mai tai in my book. However, Orzata is almond flavor and would make a fine subsitute for orgeat.

Personally, I prefer orange curacao over triple sec, which has less orange flavor and is sweeter. Grand Marnier and Cointreau may make fine subsitutes in a Mai Tai, but one would need to use less as they have a stronger flavor, and it seems a waste of money to use such expensive liqueurs in a mai tai.

T

You don't light something 'alight', you SET it alight.

-Anal british colonized chick.

:)

D

Oops.....you're right Tikifish......
How illiterately American of me. DUH! Musta had too many that night.

[ Edited by: donhonyc on 2003-05-05 09:12 ]

K
Klas posted on Mon, May 5, 2003 10:50 AM

So, what did you think about the recipe? It would've been nice with some kind of comment as I actually spent some time digging it up for you :)

D

Sorry Klas....I actually haven't tried it yet, but when I do I'll let you know. Thanks for posting it dude!!!

I love to use contreau in my "meow-tai"s, because also I have more over all-bar/kitchen uses for it. I am gonna try to use amaretto, it sounds good! Usually I use orgeat.

K
Klas posted on Mon, May 5, 2003 1:33 PM

On 2003-05-05 10:54, donhonyc wrote:
Sorry Klas....I actually haven't tried it yet, but when I do I'll let you know. Thanks for posting it dude!!!

No problem :) I myself is looking for an alternative for the original TV Mai Tai as the Martinique rum is very expensive in Sweden. I have some hope in the Bali Hai Mai Tai featured in Intoxica which I will try to mix ASAP. Anyone tried it BTW?

T
thejab posted on Mon, May 5, 2003 2:04 PM

On 2003-05-05 13:33, Klas wrote:
I myself is looking for an alternative for the original TV Mai Tai as the Martinique rum is very expensive in Sweden. I have some hope in the Bali Hai Mai Tai featured in Intoxica which I will try to mix ASAP. Anyone tried it BTW?

I tried it and thought it was lousy. The one I had at the Bali Hai wasn't any better.

For alternatives to the original recipe try here:

http://www.kevdo.com/maitai/

T

Zombies are the best..I have my bartender make'em hot for me..
We had one made in Nawlings for my sis'n'law...she about hit the floor...
A new drink I love is a tequilla sunrise made with Cyclone..
I like that whole flaming bacardi drink, may have to try it with bacardi orange...
My husband was a navy guy, so by default I have an expert bartender at home.
LOL
T

T

Just a thought...
What if you did that whole Mai Tai #2 deal...but put the amaretto in a shot..then after the body of the drink is done set the amaretto shot a blaze and drop it into the mai tai? Hmmmm..
This sounds interesting even to me..I think Im going have to try that...
T

D

Klas-

I tried the Bali Hai Mai Tai. I didn't think it was too bad. The recipe you posted the link to is probably what the bartender at the Zombie Hut made. I think I saw her pouring juices in it....I think. Whatever the case, I tried to figure out what she was putting in while she was doing it but I was trying to be discreet plus she was fast! I asked her what was in it, but I think she only told me a couple fo the ingredients, and why should she....so I can make 'em at home and not go there? I would still go there...but you knowwhaddimean. I'l letcha know how the mixing goes. Mahalo! :sheckymug:

[ Edited by: donhonyc on 2003-05-05 14:36 ]

K
Klas posted on Tue, May 6, 2003 10:21 AM

I'll give the Bali Hai Mai Tai a try as it only contains basic stuff.

thejab, thanks for the "Search for the ultimate Mai Tai" link. Are there any recipes on the site? I only found drinking reviews.

T

*On 2003-05-06 10:21, Klas wrote:*thejab, thanks for the "Search for the ultimate Mai Tai" link. Are there any recipes on the site? I only found drinking reviews.

Yes, click on the Mai Tai recipes link on the home page (in the first paragraph of text).

Glad to see another member that's not in the the US on Tiki Central. Are there any tiki bars - old or new - in Sweden?

K
Klas posted on Tue, May 6, 2003 1:02 PM

Thanks, I've now found them. Some interesting combinations in there...

As for swedish tiki bars, there's Tiki Room in Stockholm. Very nice place! Check out this thread for some photos taken by Tiki Chris. And here's the drinklist (only in swedish but you'll recognize the majority of the names).

T
thejab posted on Tue, May 6, 2003 3:13 PM

Thanks for posting that thread on the Tiki Room in Stokholm (and thanks to Chris for the original post which I must have missed). On looking at the pictures I remembered that the bar is in "Tiki Road Trip". Very nice decor for a new place. Looks like they have a good selection of rums as well.

D

Hey Klas....

Thanks again for the link on the Mai-Tai action. Tried it last night and it was DAMN good, definitely what they were making at Zombie Hut. This is my prefered version. (sorry Vic!!) I'm usually a purist when it comes to stuff like that but looks like I gotta bend this time :drink:

aloha!

K
Klas posted on Wed, May 7, 2003 3:07 AM

donhonyc, I'm glad I could help :) Might have a go on it myself.

Pages: 1 19 replies