Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Grogalizer V3.0! Mobile phone friendly!

Pages: 1 2 3 135 replies

Will the tiki+ app ever be available in the new MacApp store? I would actually like to have a version on my desktop.

[ Edited by: SuperEight 2011-02-18 20:16 ]

I find that if your going to use a brand of all encompassing "stock" liqueurs, its good to go by the following order

Marie Brizard
Mr Boston
Dekuyper (the products are ok for some things, but they all are way to sugary)
but at all costs avoid Arrow( It burns....Oh it burns!!!!)

Of course it's always best to try and use the original spirits then the more commercially available "knock offs", but if you are on a budget they will do just fine. There are always some regional variations but these tend to be the most distributed.

S

On 2011-02-18 20:16, SuperEight wrote:
Will the tiki+ app ever be available in the new MacApp store? I would actually like to have a version on my desktop.

[ Edited by: SuperEight 2011-02-18 20:16 ]

Do you mean in the iTunes app store? It is there. Got it on the iPhone and iPad. Where possible, I use it instead of the books because it is FAR easier to read in the bar!

Us poor Droid users still have to carry the books around with us....sniff sniff....ooooooo, pretty pictures.

hey guys, i notice that 'amber virgin island rum' and 'gold virgin island rum' are seperate options... are they the same? i also have that problem w/ 'appleton special gold' and 'jamaican gold rum'... arent they both the same? i guess i should just select both but i just wanted to check.

S

On 2011-03-03 11:24, just sayin wrote:
hey guys, i notice that 'amber virgin island rum' and 'gold virgin island rum' are seperate options... are they the same? i also have that problem w/ 'appleton special gold' and 'jamaican gold rum'... arent they both the same? i guess i should just select both but i just wanted to check.

I feel your pain!

I volunteered to work with The Bum to normalize his ingredients. Putting all these in I had to decide on a lot of things. Simple ones like "Simple Syrup" and "Sugar Syrup" to a lot more difficult choices.

I generally check all the rums and make decisions about what I have that fits the bill when I look up the recipe. If I have the sepcific rum called for I use it. If it calls for Barbencourt 5 Star and I have 3, I'll use that. Such is life behind the bar and inside the Grogalizer.

In my bar, Appleton Special is the Jamaican Gold, and every other Gold rum called for, but your results may vary.

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs coming Spring 2011!

[ Edited by: Swanky 2011-03-03 12:11 ]

S

As of Sept 16th 2011, there are only 4 drinks in the Grogalizer that have not been made and voted on. We need to change that! They are:

Cafe a la Queen of Tonga
Pequod Punch
Cou-Cou Comber
Whitecap

Don't let a cucumber scare ya!
So close!

S

I just added Basement Kahuna's most recent and by his estimation, best recipe, the Ghost Ship to the Grogalizer.

The Bum revealed it here.

SLOSHED! reviewed it here.

Stirrings Blood Orange Bitters has kept me from making this one. Have not put in any internet orders lately and no one carries it in town. It is an odd bird being A) non-alcoholic and B) not bitter... You can imagine what 1/2 ounce of regular orange bitters would do to a drink!

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs!

[ Edited by: Swanky 2012-06-06 12:12 ]

S

Having sampled a few of them at Smuggler's Cove, and planning to make a few this weekend, I added Martin's 2070 Swizzle to the Grogalizer today. A great drink!

S

FYI:

Due to a rash of bots creating fake logins on the Grogalizer, I have had to purge all accounts where there are no items in the bar, or votes or comments. If you can't log in, you may have been purged.

Holy crap. I forgot about the Grogalizer. I haven't used that in YEARS.

Thanks Swanky. And I obviously was away WAY too long. I forgot that it was your site.

You know, you should add the finalists from the APE Drink contest. (I might be biased, since two of them are mine. Also, I haven't made them in YEARS, and there's a good chance they suck, and need reworked. They were some of my first recipes.)

Post Script

It needs to be an app, or even a web app. Surely someone around the tiki parts knows how to code for iOS. I would buy it in a minute.

Anyway, thanks again for bumping this. I'm going to re-register now!

On 2012-12-12 10:59, Hale Tiki wrote:
It needs to be an app, or even a web app. Surely someone around the tiki parts knows how to code for iOS. I would buy it in a minute.

I use and really appreciate the features of the Tiki+ app and The Grogalizer. I would love to see the features of these products combined into a single app that offers at least these three options:

1. What I can make from what I have on-hand ["Grogalizer view"]
  2. What I cannot make and what's missing from my bar
  3. All cocktails and ingredients without regard to what I have on-hand ["Tiki+ view"]

Just some thoughts and suggestions.

Registered, and added a few things.
Man I miss that site.

Thanks again. Happy to have it as an invaluable resource.

D
Dagg posted on Tue, May 21, 2013 9:00 PM

Just signed up, way cool!

Thanks Swanky!
:drink:

S

Added recipes from Potions of the Caribbean to the Grogalizer.

Swanky, that's great news! I went in to "my resources" and added "Potions" to my profile. But then I saw "Friend's Recipes" listed, but a search here on Tiki Central came up with nothing. (I looked three times, and I did different searches each time. I'm sober, I promise!) Can you help shed some light on what exactly "Friends's Recipes" is? Sober minds want to know! Thanks.

S

On 2014-08-15 07:40, AceExplorer wrote:
Swanky, that's great news! I went in to "my resources" and added "Potions" to my profile. But then I saw "Friend's Recipes" listed, but a search here on Tiki Central came up with nothing. (I looked three times, and I did different searches each time. I'm sober, I promise!) Can you help shed some light on what exactly "Friends's Recipes" is? Sober minds want to know! Thanks.

That would be the "uncategorized" drinks. Basement Kahuna, my own recipes, etc. You also should have seen "Atomic Grog Recipes" which is in the works. Just have to get the time together to put them all in and add links to the posts on Jim's site. Time. It always comes down to time and priorities...

Thanks, that helps. My main reason for asking is that I want to ensure I have access to those recipes and I'm not sure where to look and find them. Sounds like you'll post more information later when you've had more time to work on this.

I did not see "Atomic Grog Recipes" in the list, but that is great to hear that it's coming. This ability to cross-reference the stuff we have in our home bars with published recipes from Jeff Berry and others is very important to folks just starting out to explore the world of tiki cocktails and to "experts" alike. I remember when I first started buying Jeff's books and also using the Grogalizer - it was quite an eye-opener. It helped me decide to buy stuff I otherwise would not have come across, and that helped me expand my understanding and repertoire of cocktails.

Cheers to you, sir!

[ Edited by: AceExplorer 2014-08-15 12:23 ]

Swanky,

I may finally have some time real soon to help out with the Atomic Grog recipes. I just added the Rum Julep, which brings me up to 29 tribute recipes for drinks on the current Mai-Kai menu:

151 Swizzle
Black Magic
Bora Bora
Chocolate Snowflake
Cobra’s Kiss
Deep Sea Diver
Hidden Pearl
Hot Buttered Rum
The Hukilau
Jet Pilot
Mai-Kai Blizzard
Mai-Kai Special
Mai-Kai Swizzle
Mai Tai
Mutiny
Oh So Deadly
Piña Colada
Rum Julep
Samoan Grog
Shark Bite
Shrunken Skull
S.O.S.
Special Planters Punch
Special Reserve Daiquiri
Strawberry Daiquiri
Tahitian Breeze
Yeoman’s Grog
Zombie
Zula

I think most of them will fit nicely into the Grogalizer. We might want to leave a couple of the dessert drinks out.

Is there any interest in the tribute recipes for the retired drinks?

Demerara Cocktail*
Demerara Float*
Dr. Fong
Hanalei Bay
Impatient Virgin*
Island Queen*
Last Rites*
Liquid Gold*
Suffering Bastard*

I'm confident the seven noted with an asterisk are accurate since I've tasted them during recent special return appearances. For the other two, I'm just making an educated guess.

S

On 2014-08-19 00:41, Hurricane Hayward wrote:
Swanky,

I may finally have some time real soon to help out with the Atomic Grog recipes. I just added the Rum Julep, which brings me up to 29 tribute recipes for drinks on the current Mai-Kai menu:

151 Swizzle
Black Magic
Bora Bora
Chocolate Snowflake
Cobra’s Kiss
Deep Sea Diver
Hidden Pearl
Hot Buttered Rum
The Hukilau
Jet Pilot
Mai-Kai Blizzard
Mai-Kai Special
Mai-Kai Swizzle
Mai Tai
Mutiny
Oh So Deadly
Piña Colada
Rum Julep
Samoan Grog
Shark Bite
Shrunken Skull
S.O.S.
Special Planters Punch
Special Reserve Daiquiri
Strawberry Daiquiri
Tahitian Breeze
Yeoman’s Grog
Zombie
Zula

I think most of them will fit nicely into the Grogalizer. We might want to leave a couple of the dessert drinks out.

Is there any interest in the tribute recipes for the retired drinks?

Demerara Cocktail*
Demerara Float*
Dr. Fong
Hanalei Bay
Impatient Virgin*
Island Queen*
Last Rites*
Liquid Gold*
Suffering Bastard*

I'm confident the seven noted with an asterisk are accurate since I've tasted them during recent special return appearances. For the other two, I'm just making an educated guess.

More the merrier! Get them documented and linked in and people making them!

The Grogalizer is great fun! Thank you for the work that went into it.

FYI, a few of the dollar-sign links on the site are broken:

Passion Fruit Juice or Nectar
Coconut Snow Powder
Passion Fruit Syrup
Trader Vic's Grenadine

For the TV Grenadine, here is a replacement URL:
http://tradervics.com/product/trader-vics-premium-pomegranate-grenadine/

I think I remember reading in Beach Bum Berry Remixed though that Mr. Berry doesn't recommend this grenadine anymore -- something about it no longer containing any pomegranate. I don't know if it's true.

S

Thanks. I corrected the links and made them my own suggestions for Grenadine. I should merge the TV Grenadine with just Grenadine and make life easier.

BTW, if you get BG Reynold's cinnamon syrup, it is double strength. Mixing with it you should cut the amount in half.

My method:
Get these cinnamon sticks for your Swizzles and other drinks.
Do not toss them after use. I rinse and reuse multiple times. The flavor goes and goes and it would be an expensive waste to toss them after a single use.

When it comes time to make cinnamon syrup, grab a couple of these and use them and get even more use out of them. This is how I decide to break out new sticks for drinks. When I need more syrup, I also need new sticks. Use the Bum's method of making the syrup.

Take 2 of these long sticks, break them into a couple of pieces and put them in a couple of paper towels folded over. Take the flat side of a hammer on the ground and break up the sticks. You aren't totally crushing them, but just getting them to a flat layer instead of the "tubes" they are in naturally. In a pan mix 1 cup sugar and 1 cup water and a few drops of citrus as a catalyst and the cinnamon. Stir it a lot and bring to a low boil. Cover for 15 minutes at a simmer. A high boil can burn it. You want to make sure all your sugar is dissolved and keep it on the heat for a bit. Take it off the heat and let steep for 2 hours and strain. I strain using a large funnel lined with a paper towel. This set has a piece that goes inside the funnel to allow more surface area to keep it from clogging up. I also make a double batch or so. I have a tall thin bottle that fits in the door of the bar fridge and I want to fill it to the top and have a bit left over as "back stock".

This is my "speed rail". Door of the mini fridge in the bar has honey syrup and cinnamon syrup in these tall bottles. Large bottle of Grapefruit juice is in the fridge to the left. Fresh lime juice is in the door next in an OXO pourer.

OXO Good Grips Salad Dressing Shaker, Black

You can get these at Bed, Bath and Beyond. I use them for all my prepped juices in the fridge. Holds about 12-14 ounces. Seals tight and easy to pour and clean.

Swank Pad Bar Shopping

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

[ Edited by: swanky 2014-08-21 08:04 ]

A

I just spent a productive hour updating my ratings & comments on the Grogalizer 2.0 (for the first time in about a year). You switch the rums, your tastes change, etc etc.

I think one welcome addition to Grogalizer 2.0 to would be an 'its on my home bar menu' button with a 'Home bar menu' tab :)

The 17 drinks I have rated 7 stars or above make up my home bar menu > I wouldnt be without them!

Congrats & thanks Swanky :)

S

On 2014-08-22 14:30, AdOrAdam wrote:
I just spent a productive hour updating my ratings & comments on the Grogalizer 2.0 (for the first time in about a year). You switch the rums, your tastes change, etc etc.

I think one welcome addition to Grogalizer 2.0 to would be an 'its on my home bar menu' button with a 'Home bar menu' tab :)

The 17 drinks I have rated 7 stars or above make up my home bar menu > I wouldnt be without them!

Congrats & thanks Swanky :)

In a way, it is. You can sort the recipes by your rating and get your favorites. I do this on occasion just to see if there is an old favorite I have not made in a while. And the other option is sorting by average rating. I do it that way to see what others like that I may not have made before. I gave up on the notion of making every single recipe a while back. But this way I can see what I may be missing.

Thanks for updating! Every bit helps make it better, except when idiots give my favorite recipes a poor grade....

On 2014-08-25 06:15, Swanky wrote:
...except when idiots give my favorite recipes a poor grade....

Yeah, sometimes folks don't understand the importance of carefully measuring exact amounts of ingredients, or the importance of using good rums and mixers, or how long and hard to shake a drink, and then the drink suffers and is given a lower rating. Grogalizer cannot tell the difference between a patient cocktail aficionado and a reckless bar hack.

T

Thank you for updating the Grogalzier Swanky! I use it to sort by average rating.

S

Trader Vic's Grenadine is gone. Just using Grenadine now.

T

I never had Trader Vic's grenadine, but I have tried most of their other products, so I can't imagine this is a great loss.

I struggled using commercially available grenadines for many years and was always disappointed. Eventually I discovered why.

The original recipe for grenadine is just pomegranate juice and sugar. Somewhere along the line, like most commercially produced syrups, this got perverted into some god awful combination of artificial sweeteners, red food dye and preservatives.

If you want the best grenadine you ever had in your life, just buy some fresh pomegranate juice and combine it equal parts with white sugar in whatever method you use to make simple syrup. Add a little orange flower water too if you want, but not necessary.

There is no reason to buy pre-made grenadine that I can think of. It will compromise the quality of your drink.

Jack

S

Some say to reduce the pomegranate over heat for a bit first to concentrate the flavor.

I suggest Stirrings. I use this stuff, but the price point is better for Stirrings on Amazon.

On 2014-08-15 06:43, Swanky wrote:
Added recipes from Potions of the Caribbean to the Grogalizer.

Ratings added for 10 of the 11 recipes, and comments on nine of those.

C'mon guys, these are all excellent drinks. Don't be shy.

I'd also recommend these, scored 6 or above in my ratings:
Daiquiri (Improved)
Hitler's Jitters
Hurricane Buster
Jasper's Rum Punch
La Florida No. 1
Night Cap
Oloffson's Rum Punch
Petion
Petit Punch Vieux
Pina Colada
Planter's Punch
Planter's Punch (Improved)
Roman Twist
Tropical Itch
(I prefer Scialom's recipe to Harry Yee's version from Intoxica and Remixed)

Is there a way to do an actual search by drink on the Grogalizer that I'm missing? I've scrolled alphabetically looking for certain things that I have all the ingredients for that I don't see listed, particularly Atomic Grog tributes. I see some of them but maybe they haven't all made their way into the database yet? I just don't want to rate or comment on Berry's version and affect the overall if the one I'm drinking is listed somewhere else that I just can't find for some reason.

Thanks.

S

On 2015-01-10 12:52, mikehooker wrote:
Is there a way to do an actual search by drink on the Grogalizer that I'm missing? I've scrolled alphabetically looking for certain things that I have all the ingredients for that I don't see listed, particularly Atomic Grog tributes. I see some of them but maybe they haven't all made their way into the database yet? I just don't want to rate or comment on Berry's version and affect the overall if the one I'm drinking is listed somewhere else that I just can't find for some reason.

Thanks.

The Atomic Grog recipes are pending. Jim is a busy guy.

Still hoping more atomic grog recipes get added to the database. I've been enjoying the hell out of the SOS over the past couple months. Have made it with five different rum combos and they always score high. Overall I tend to favor Jim's Mai Kai tributes over Don, Vic and Beachbum drinks.

S

Some numbers:

User accounts: 2,825
Comments: 2,288
Recipes graded: 4,642
Items in everyone's bars: 158,649

So glad everyone is using this resource!

S

FYI: The Grogalizer is now encrypted to protect your passwords and info from evil doers. Not like there's much to steal on the site, but it's still good to know.

Just left my 50th rating/review. Grogalizer is a great resource. Get on there if you aren't already!

On 2016-12-30 15:21, mikehooker wrote:
Just left my 50th rating/review. Grogalizer is a great resource. Get on there if you aren't already!

It really is a great resource!

Is there any interest in adding the Smuggler's Cove recipes there?

S
Swanky posted on Sun, Jan 1, 2017 6:51 AM

On 2016-12-30 17:04, Loki-Tiki wrote:

On 2016-12-30 15:21, mikehooker wrote:

It really is a great resource!

Is there any interest in adding the Smuggler's Cove recipes there?

We are working on it. Got confirmation from Martin on the best way to add the rums.

S
Swanky posted on Tue, Feb 7, 2017 8:03 AM

Pleased to announce that thanks to the work of TC member loki-tiki, the majority of the Smuggler's Cove recipes have been added to the Grogalizer.

You will need to revisit your bar items and add the SC Rum categories in the liquor section.

Some ingredients were not added, just as with The Bum's books due to not wanting to add lots of obscure stuff to a very long list already.

"Mai-Kai: History & Mystery of the Iconic Tiki Restaurant" the book

[ Edited by: swanky 2017-02-09 04:58 ]

I just added a bunch of Smuggler's Cove ratings and reviews.

Among my favorites (excluding those already in Beachbum Berry books) ...
Center of the Galaxy
The Sexpert
The Expedition
Grog
Cora Middleton
Barbados Rum Punch
Bumboat
Planter's Punch

They did it again! Congrats to Martin and Rebecca for winning the Spirited Awards for Best New Cocktail & Bartending Book at the Spirited Awards during Tales of the Cocktail!

All the winners are posted here:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=48724&forum=1&start=last&127

Anyone else having trouble accessing the Grogalizer? I'm getting this error message:

Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function mysql_connect() in /home/swankpadhost/grogalizer.com/includes/functions.php:10 Stack trace: #0 /home/swankpadhost/grogalizer.com/includes/functions.php(33): dbConnect() #1 /home/swankpadhost/grogalizer.com/index.php(3): include('/home/swankpadh...') #2 {main} thrown in /home/swankpadhost/grogalizer.com/includes/functions.php on line 10

Yeah. I hadn't been on in a couple months but checked in twice this week and saw the same message. Was gonna post here to see what's up.

Ha, it's just an error on "line 10."

Have a drink, folks!

S

Well crap. Upgraded the php the other day and I had worries. I guess they were well founded. Prolly some function got deprecated again.......

Condolences. Tech standards are always changing and The Powers That Be always assume everyone already knows. I mean, they've even deactivated the BLINK function in HTML! Can you imagine? :lol:

H
Hamo posted on Thu, Jan 18, 2018 6:38 PM

Thanks, Swanky. Everything appears to be in working order again.

Pages: 1 2 3 135 replies