Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

CJ's Tropical Tiki ....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 305 replies

A
amate posted on Thu, May 3, 2012 12:11 PM

Beautiful job on the Ku.

Nice work Capt'n!

Cant wait to see this peice finished,way kool stuff Seeks.

Damm wrong thread!

Thanks guys!! I appreciate the feedback .... So on to the next one .... this is the whimsical one, I'm calling him the "heads up tiki!" ....

.... this one is a break from the traditional stuff .... I hope I can pull it off!

... and fishin Friday turned out to be quite fun today! I started a little Lono and caught some fish .... so that was cool ...

.... but the best part was when my little friend Emily wanted to carve! She is a natural! She threw that 18 ounce mallet around like it was a feather! I'm very proud of her ...! And she asked for her own log so she can carve her own tiki!

Thanks for stopping and Have a Great Day!

P

Nice!

dude I could go for some fried up bass with some hushpuppies & a big bottle of vinegar right about now...

So a friend of mine tells me yesterday that he wants his fan palms taken out before they get too big and unmanageable ... he hates them! Then he decides he wants tikis carved into them... So I might be stripping these two down and carving into them ... he pretty much wants them dead! I'm not to cool with carving into the live ones, but if he is going to chop them down anyway then I might as well make some nice art for his yard ....

I figured I'll take off the top 3 feet of the short one and maybe five feet off the top of the tall one, strip them down and then figure out what to carve ...

Wow! Been a while since I posted here .... had to dig way deep on this list to even find my thread!

Some more work on the lono ... trying to hit some detail on this one that I haven't tried before. This log is nice and compact and carves like hardwood so hopefully the tiny details will not chip off ...

I'm off to Maui next week to swim with the fishes .... going to take my tools with me and try to find a banyan log to carve. Gonna see if there might be an impromptu chop chop going on at the beach and join in with some local carvers .... or maybe I'll be the one to start one up!

Thanks for stopping and Have a Great Tiki Day!

Looks like this is going to be a winner.

M

That last one you shot is going to be very nice!

Mahalo

McTiki

A

Good things in the works. I'm looking forward to seeing Emily's thread. :)

HA HA, I wonder what the airport security's gonna be thinking when they see your carving tools!!!

Thanks guys ... and Emily is already on to something else ... Nine-year-olds! Attention span of a gnat!

Yea, Seeks .... I can see them now .... "Scuba gear, .... bottle of Captain Morgan,.... and a mallet and chisels! ... this guy is going to party!"

Did some more work on the "Heads Up" tiki ..... I decided to nix the Xed out eyes ... he's lost his head, he's not drunk! ... (If this all seems like deja vu that's cause I posted the same thing on facebook!)

HA! He looks pretty happy about it Capt.

Heads up n off
Kool

Nice Work Cap'n Jack!

Had a great trip to Maui ... I did find a chunk of hard wood to carve but found a vein of rot where the nose would go! So I carved a couple coconuts instead .... those are not easy to carve, especially wet ones!

So, my little friend Emily found a stick at the lake so we decided she needed a "Tiki Wand" .... it's 14 inches long .... Harry Potter doesn't have anything like this!

Thanks for stopping ....
I'll be back on the chisels tomorrow!

Alright! Got back to some carving! Finished up the "Heads Up" tiki except for the poly/sanding/poly ... now to finish up the detailed Lono and then on to something else a bit more whimsical!

He came out great! It's nice to see a tiki I can relate too :lol:

I really like the seperated head idea. May have to borrow that one.

N

Came out really cool Capt! Nice work

Looks great Cap't,koolstuff!!

DUDE!!!

I love it. Especially digging the asymmetrical facial features - gives him a sort of writhing grimace.

Awesome stuff

Awesome! Great concept! Let's see some more!!!

M

He looks like the first bobblehead tiki,rare tiki indeed !

P

Good stuff Chris. I like the different eyes too.

Outside the box...

Thanks for the comments everyone! I had fun with this guy .... I'm going to do another whimsical tiki next ... called the "top knot tiki" ... the wife found some nice bamboo poles for a buck each so I'm going to use a couple chunks on the top knot. I'm also anxious to use the gray stain that Will and Jeff showed us so am going to chop out a Moai too .... fun stuff!

Here's an in progress shot of the "top knot" tiki ..... he will have a bamboo stick thru his nose (that's why it's so BIG) and another bamboo stick tied into his top knot ...

C

Thumbs up for the head up....congratulations

P

cool...

I wanna see what you do with his head...

looking forward to seeing this latest one...

Thanks guys ..... after an exhausting long weekend of fishing and camping, I got back on the chisels and made some more rough chops on the top knot tiki .... caught quite a few fish up in the Eastern Sierra's too!

P

nice Chris! what kinda fish are those???

Thanks, Jeff ..... rainbow trout

P

that is awesome....

I bet you ate good last night!

Done with the carving on the top knot dude .....

And then the torch work ....

Just a couple splashes of spar and this one is done!

P

I like it!

But I think I woulda used a couple of dog bones for the nose & hair knot...

Thanks, Jeff .... the bones would be cool! I started this tiki just because the wife found some bamboo poles for a buck at the dollar store. Had to use them for something other than picture frames!

kool stuff

T

On 2012-07-02 16:56, Captain Jack wrote:
Done with the carving on the top knot dude .....

oh very cool. don't think i've seen a design like that one before. nice job.

Thanks Hang10 and BigT ... I like doing some whimsical stuff every now and then ...

Now, back to something traditional! Started this little moai yesterday ... I'm finally going to use that gray stain!

The little Moai is done ... the gray stain brings a whole new look to the tiki collection! I plan on doing a full body Moai in the gray down the line but for now am anxious to finally get to the 6 foot Marq who's been waiting patiently in the pile!

The Moai ....

And here's the start to the Marquesan. A little over 6 foot.... he's goiing to be a skinny Marq (with a patch of hair) .....!

P

dude...nice moai!

and yeah, the "classic gray" stain on the moai reeeaaallly sets 'em off....makes them that much better in my opinion.

nicely done.

lookin' forward to seein' the marq...

New Marquesan cleaned and drawn out..... time to start chiselin!

[ Edited by: Captain Jack 2012-07-10 08:25 ]

P

nice draw out....

this one's gonna be good...

Thanks dude ..... the chopping has begun!

A little progress on the marq today ... Thanks for Stopping and Have a Great Day!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 305 replies