Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

CJ's Tropical Tiki ....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 305 replies

Sweet Moai
Marq is lookin good

(I can't believe how fast u guys crank em out)

looking good, the 'hair' is a cool feature as well...

A

LOVE THE MARQ!

Thanks for looking guys ..... I took a break from the chisels to head back into the Sierras for a few more days of camping and fishing ... Ready to get back into the swing of things! I did get some more work done on this marq last week. The body is coming together and I can get started on some of the detail work. It's an old, dry log so some cracks and splits are showing up deep. Hopefully they're not where the detail needs to go.

Thanks for stopping and Have a Great Day!

He's coming together .... got some details done today and some sanding. I'm not sure how to finish this one though. I am undecided on whether to burn the recessed areas or to use a dark stain in those areas and then a lighter stain for the raised areas .... quite the conundrum ....

P

Let's see some tatts brother!

Funny that you should mention that, Jeff! He was just out back at the tattoo parlor!

This log is very dry and crumbly so I don't want to try and force too much detail.

Here's the latest if anyone not on facebook wants to look .... almost there!

Tall marq is done... Turned out okay for a very dry log.

Jumped into the next one .... a small "Big Mouth" for a wedding present ... no white teeth, I promise!

P

lol...you're never gonna live that down!

Finished up this little wedding gift. Thinking of doing a couple masks next ....

Too funny - I am working on a wedding gift tiki myself.

Facebook is making me switch to something called timeline so I needed a cover photo .... The wife snapped this pic and I thought it was pretty cool to have all the fellas lined up .... After spending most of my days face down into carving, it's cool to step back and check out what I've accomplished ... I really hate to part with any of these guys!

P

yeah, I am just getting to the point where I'm making stuff that I want to keep.

There was one point where I had like 30 tikis here at the house and then started progressing and suddenly I didn't want any of those older ones around anymore and I gave most of them away to people just because I just didn't want to look at them anymore. I still have my first tiki which is obviously important, and also my 5th tiki, which I kinda thought was the one where I decided that I was getting better and was going to keep making tikis, but all the rest are gone but my most recent stuff, most of which where given away to people & whatever. I don't even remember where 3/4 of them went.

[ Edited by: pjc5150 2012-08-03 08:55 ]

which one is you?

;]

WC

Nice family photo.

Been slacking a bit in my updates .... it's been hot! I've been taking advantage of that air conditioning so haven't chopped into any logs for a couple weeks. I have been doing some paddles for the tourists so I've not been completely lazy!. Decided to try out that router attachment for the Dremel .... kinda squirrelly, but functional ... These are cut from Home Depot fence planks.

Here are the first three, I have three more to finish up..

T

Looking good! Great idea using fence pickets! I think squirrelly is a good description of the router attachment for the dremel. I tried it with very rough results. I need to practice with it some more.

kool stuff Capt'n!

M

Awesome panelish works going on here. Well done!

Mahalo!

McTiki

Thanks guys ... yea, you have to keep a firm grip on that dremel router attachment or it will jump around. Especially when in one of the grooves of the grain! Hit the hard spots and it shifts right or left very quickly!

I've finally finished up the other three paddle panels. I'm more than ready to get back to carving! I like doing other things, but sometimes they can be a pain in the ass! Nothing like a mallet and chisel!

Here are the paddles ... touristy stuff, oh, and a snake and gecko!

Drew out the next tiki. This is a mask that I've been wanting to do.

Paddles look great...
Next dude will look sweet...
Have fun

Chopped a bit on this marq mask ..... just can't get that enthused about it . maybe it's cause it's so frickin hot outside! I don't know .... Ya know sometimes when ya just don't "feel" a piece your working on? Well that's how I feel about this one. I'll keep it going to finish it up but it just doesn't have that "wow" factor!

Add some raffia or shells - maybe even some paint or stain. That will give it some punch!

A

From time to time, I have to put one out of site for awhile...sometimes several months. Then I can come back and look at it with fresh eyes and see what needs to be done.

P

yeah, I've got a mask I started a year or 2 ago & I hate it, so it'll probably never get done, and it's made of cedar so I can't quite bring myself to throw it away...

M

I have a pile of stuff that is to this day, a work in progress. Just put it away. One day, it will stoke you to grab it and place the proper finishing elements to it. Not a Mulligan.......more like Incubation of an idea.

Good topic!

Mahalo

I like the mask quite frankly..... send it to me and I will send you one of my unfinished projects!

McTiki

I really like the paddles. I might steal the idea (if you don't mind) and put a few in my yard. As for the mask, It is nice and clean and the cuts are deep. I guess sometimes you got to walk away and give yourself a break. The "vibe" will pick up again. I think it looks good from where I am, but then again I'm in Pennsylvania.

Thanks guys .... I'll finish up the mask next week. It's a simple carve and won't take much to finish it off. Thinking a red chestnut stain with a gloss poly will do it! It's just one of those things where I have a nice 6 footer in the pile that is screaming KU! so the enthusiasm for this guy has waned ...

Have fun making the paddles! These are just the 6 inch fence planks from the depot, cut to 27 inches and ran thru the band saw and then routered out with the dremel. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Have a Great Day!

Nope .... never could get into this one ... oh, well! He's done and gets to be nailed to the fence! Now onto something else!

WoW! Been awhile since I've posted anything! Everybody continues to knock out some very nice work! I've been following along, just not participating!

I am slowly but surely knocking chunks off of this latest Ku. He's about 6 foot including his pedestal.

P

nice Chris...

A
amate posted on Fri, Nov 16, 2012 4:10 PM

Jack is back! and off to a great start.

it's been awhile, bring it on!

Thanks guys .... I'm sure not breaking any tiki carving speed records with this guy! He's a 'marathon' tiki as opposed to a 'sprint' tiki!!

Got some more wood removal done .....

Just about done with this pedestal Ku .... finally! Just some sanding, stain and spar yet to go.

Lookin good

A
amate posted on Wed, Jan 23, 2013 5:07 AM

Those big guys seem to take forever. Lookin good!

A
amate posted on Wed, Jan 23, 2013 5:07 AM

Those big guys seem to take forever. Lookin good!

SWEET !!

Thanks guys! He's finally done! I went with the distressed gray stain to try and get the look of those two Hawaiian tikis that are photographed a lot. Those two are gray from weathering so this is my attempt at a shortcut!

Captain Jack... Excellent carve! Love the finish too... This guy would fit right in on the Isle of Refuge! Very nice Kona Style Ku!

Came out great...

Jon

Nice work, interesting to see a different finish as well...

I suppose I could update my thread every now and then! Haven't been busting out many tikis lately but do have a couple items I can post ...

Had this really dry palm log in the pile that was intended to be a tall skinny Lono. After stripping it down it was very crumbly and dry so not worth the effort to try and make a detailed tiki out of .... so I carved my skinny version of "Paul!" .... if you aren't familiar with Paul, he is a foul mouthed alien from a movie a couple years ago ..

I did strip down another solid log that is going to be the pedestal Kanaloa that goes with the pedestal Ku I did before. It is roughed out and I started some of the headress. This will be the same gray stain as the Ku. Got a lot of camping to do in the 'new to me' motorhome but I hope to get this one finished in a few weeks.

... oh, here's the new toy! Just drove it back from Georgia (to California) this week ... thinking of painting a couple tikis on the back!

P

nice bro...

diggin' the new RV...

Been a long time since I posted my carvings on Tiki Central! ... I've done one or two more that I can share! HaHa ... Good to be back!!

tiki deck sign

[ Edited by Captain Jack on 2022-03-15 15:16:20 ]

Time for some long overdues updates .... here is that pedestal Kanaloa I started!

diamondhead 2

it is finished and I carved the other 3 to go with it ... Kane, Ku and Lono ...!

4 tikis

[ Edited by Captain Jack on 2022-03-17 15:25:29 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 305 replies