Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

CJ's Tropical Tiki ....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 305 replies

Very nice CapN

On 2011-11-19 09:28, Captain Jack wrote:
I'm not happy with the stain ... it is some kind of golden oak and made the whole thing look splotchy ...

If you're using the Minwax golden oak, use two or three more coats of it. that should even it all out.Any more than that, and it's real close to looking like cherry or a couple coats of early american. Then spar away!

Buzzy Out!

Thanks Buzzy .... I'll remember that for the next time I use that stain. I went ahead and used the dark stain on this one and like it much better..

Decided to try my hand at carving a traditional Hawaiian .... started this Kane a couple weeks ago. This log has some nice cracks in it but as long as it stays together it should turn out okay ....

A couple side shots of that Kane ...

And a few more with a bit more detail added ... this is just hammer and flat chisels .... slow going, but for now I feel more in control than I would with the grinder ...

Finally bought a draw knife! What a great tool! De-barked a log in less than five minutes with that thing ....

A couple more progress shots of the Kane ... started on the body and some more detail on the teeth ...

Kane is finished .... think I'll do a Lono or a Ku next ... a couple pics of Kane and one with his buddy Moai ...

Have a Great Day!!

N

very cool Capt! Came out great and he looks very happy next to his new friend :)

Thanks NIxxon ..... getting a little better with every chop ..... started on the next one ... this will be the Ku .... (I just wish it didn't get dark at 5:00 PM!!!)

Have a Great Day!!

Cap'n, that Kane turned out nice! Dark at 5:00? You must be west of me 'cuz the sun goes down here at 4:30!

Thanks Mad Dog ..... yea, I'm in the Temecula area, half way between L.A. and San Diego ... Ready for summer to come back ...

Have a Great Day!

Got a few more chops in on the Ku now that it stopped raining ... Had a little helper showing me the best place to start .....

Thanks for stopping in and Have a Great Day!!

Roughed out the headdress and body on this Ku .... starting to take shape now ...

Thanks for stopping by!

Have a Great Day!

S

Those are really great progress photos.......thanks for posting them...look forward to seeing the finished product.

Thanks Skootiki ..... I remember when I started my first carve how great it was to come to Tiki Central and see the progress shots of the expert carvers .... those photos have helped me tremendously (and still do) so I figured I'd do the same .... I'm still a newb, but if these shots help anyone get some ideas then it is all cool!

Have a Great Day!

Couple more after some sanding and cleaning up the nooks and crannies ... just a little more rounding on the arms and knees and some fine sanding yet and then stain ...

Have a Great Day!

Put on the stain today and then the spar ... so this Ku's done! Think I'll try my hand at a Marquesan next ...

Thanks for stopping in and Have a Great Day!!

Started on the Marq but had to take a day to carve a quick Christmas present turtle ...

Some progress shots on the Marq ... this was a quick carve (another Christmas present) so the carve isn't as deep as I would have liked ..

Thanks for stopping in and Have a Great Day!

And the Marq is done .... just in time for Santa to pick him up ...

Thanks for stopping in and Have a Great Day!

http://openingdaymedia.net

[ Edited by: Captain Jack 2011-12-24 08:59 ]

G

Looking good there Captain Jack. Thanks for the progress shots, you've given me some inspiration to get out to the shed and make a start on a Ku.

Cheers
Grimbo

Jumped in on the next one ....this will be a Lono. It's about 4 feet tall. So far I have started all my tikis at the head and worked my way down. And most times I had to scrunch on the body as I misjudged my spacing ... so this time, I am doing the body first! And if I use too much log on the body, he gets to be a Ku instead!

Thanks for stopping and Have a Great Day!

A
amate posted on Wed, Dec 28, 2011 8:21 AM

On 2011-12-27 11:13, Captain Jack wrote:
if I use too much log on the body, he gets to be a Ku instead!

That's brilliant...I'm going to remember that when I get around to attempting a Lono.

Got a few more chops done on the lono (I didn't over-stretch the body so it gets to be a lono after all).... had a whale of a time getting the symmetry on this one to line up .... finally took a break from drawing all over it and stripped a few logs. It's getting there!

T

Nice carves. I like the turtle. I did one a while back that was very similar. It's a lot harder than it looks! Luv your back yard.

Thanks Big T! Those tiny bone carvings are a challenge ... not to mention the whole place smells like burnt teeth .... I plan on getting on a lot more practice!

Did some more work on the lono, now it's time to get ready to party!

.... Things will be going much smoother in the future ... I finally broke down and bought some good tools! Can't wait to put the mallet to them!

Thanks for stopping and Have a Great New Years!

P

It's ON NOW!!!

You'll like those Flexy's.

Happy new year bro.

N

It certainly is ON.

Nice purchase and nice new work. Cant wait to see what you do with the new tools!

T

Nice mallet set. that Lono is looking fantastic!

Thanks everybody .... can't wait till those chisels get here (Wednesday) .... I've been using these flat chisels from Lowes ... Marples, I think .... my cuts should improve with some good chisels .

Have a Great Day!

N
NIxxon posted on Mon, Jan 2, 2012 7:15 PM

your cuts will improve tremendously.

carve on!!

Got a bit more done on the lono ... should be ready for sanding in the next couple of days.

ALl done carving this lono ... now some sanding and then stain. Hope to be done this weekend .... So then I found a nice bamboo stick in the shed so I'm going to use a bit of Savage Daddy inspiration and try to carve one of those fishing tikis!

P

nice work man.

Thanks Dude ....

I happened upon a green recycler and found a couple BIG CHUNKS in their scrap pile! One of them is a good ten footer ! I hope they are good logs ... I remember 4WDtiki helping me identify a good log from a bad one and I didn't see any obvious flaws on these so I hauled them home .... I'll tell ya, this isn't a gig for the weak of heart or back ... I damn near had a heart attack putting them in the Jeep! I'm thinking at 49 I should be pursuing a less painful hobby ... Like needlepoint! ... .. ah f**k that! I'm ready to get choppin!

Thanks for stopping by and Have a Great Day!

P

yeah bro...I learned a long time ago. Whenever I'm going to pick up some logs, I always offer to buy one of my buddies a beer to help me load up...makes it a lot easier. And gloves man...buy several pair and always keep one in the truck. Palm splinters are the WORST.

But looks like you scored!

Oh yea, I got a few war wounds from these guys! The worst is when the 'shark teeth' stab you and the tip breaks off in your leg!

I finished up the Lono ... this one is for sale if anyone is interested ..

Started the little fishin tiki .... made a bit more progress since this pic, plan on getting into it a lot more tomorrow.

... instead of chopping on that tiki I opted to de-bark the 10 footer I found the other day. And to my dismay, it was split down the middle 3/4 of the way down! Oh well, I had high hopes for that log but I guess I will try and make a few half tikis out of it if the thing dries out okay ... it's got a lot of mold on the inside and does seem a bit pulpy.

K

The pic of the 10 footer hangin 10 out the back of the Jeep, tells me you must have been on some high fructose, twice the caffeine, chasing it with Jolt and Rock Star and a couple of steroids to get that beast in the covered wagon! The whole log may or may not be lost, I have had a few like that, that actually had some carve-able wood. I just cut one up today that had some rot at the bottom but was good beyond the affected area. Keep Hacking!

Split it and make 2 - 10'!! Once you cut it open you'll see if its worth salvaging.

Yea, Keylo, that was a beast to load up! That's what makes it so disappointing to see that it split!

Aloha, I helped it split all the way so now there are two 10 footers! I think I can get some nice half carves out of them ... a little something different from what I've been doing ...

Chopped a bit more on this fishing dude ..

Nice work Capt'n,lono piece came up a treat.

Thanks Watango ... it was a fun piece to carve ... Have a Great Day!

Some more chiseling on this fishing dude ... I let the bamboo fishing pole soak over night thinking I could get it to bend ... no such luck - It snapped in half! ... maybe he'll be a tiki torch holder instead of a fishin dude ..

N

Lookin good capt...How are you liking the new chisels?

Thanks NIxxon .... I do like the gouges, but I still find myself latching on to the old reliable flat chisels quite a bit ... the flexibility of the Felxcuts takes some getting used to ....

P

yeah, they're different...but they work great on palm.

Does thee set you bought have a skew in it? if not, get one and start playing with it.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 305 replies