Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

CJ's Tropical Tiki ....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 305 replies

Not sure if I have a skew ... these are the sizes I got, it's the 6 chisel start set ..

The 'V' and 'U' chisels allow better creativity, but I find I do most of my carving with the flattest one of the bunch. I'm slowly getting used to them all. They weigh much less than the flat Marples chisels so that takes some getting used to as well.

Have a Great Day!

Made a bit more progress on the tiki fishin dude. I hope to get him sanded and stained today ..

.... of course, if there's a dangling fish somewhere, Magnus is going to get it!

Thanks for stopping and Have a Great Day!

Excellent!! Great idea - Tiki cat toy and scratch post. I need to make one those for my animals.

C
cy posted on Fri, Jan 20, 2012 8:39 AM

Looks great Captain!

that is GREAT!!!!!! good job

P

Nice! I dig it!

And I like that Magnus got something out of it too....

well played captain...

Thanks guys .... I finished this guy up yesterday ... on to the next one!

N

That came out great Capt, excellent work on the multicolor stain job too. I know how that can be trying to keep the colors from running into places where you don't want them. Excited to see whats next!

Magnus is Hooked on TiKi !

Thanks guys .... I think I'm going to tackle that ten footer that split in two ... after cleaning them up, they are now two seven footers! They were cracked and split in a few places! I'm going to do one of them with faces of the four Hawaiian gods, Kane, Lono, Ku and Kanaloa .... And, Surf ... he is hooked, now if I can just teach him how to scrape the bark off some logs then he would earn his keep!

Have a Great Day!

You teach him how to do that, and I'll send all my logs out to ya! Charge money, and make a fortune!!

A
amate posted on Thu, Jan 26, 2012 2:51 PM

Love the color...nice job!

On 2012-01-23 08:45, NIxxon wrote:
That came out great Capt, excellent work on the multicolor stain job too. I know how that can be trying to keep the colors from running into places where you don't want them. Excited to see whats next!

I agree! I really the contrast of color

Thanks guys for the compliments ... I hit the stains with a tiny brush so it doesn't run so much ... it still tries to bleed sometimes, but the more I do the better I get ...

Finished up another quick one. A two and half footer with the Florida teeth and just burned and poly'd .. no stain on this one .... I'll post the finished tiki tomorrow, it got too dark out there for a final picture!

Thanks for stopping ..... I need to drop the chisels for a week or so and finish writing a novel ... the natives are getting impatient waiting to see how the story ends!! I'll be back!!!

Have a Great Day!

Finished pics of the big mouth .... and a shot of the last three tikis all together .... I'm anxious to get started on the next one ...(after a week of writing!)

Cool! Finally finished that last book ... now it's tiki carving time!

Started on a couple wall mounts of the four Hawaiian gods ... this first one will be Kane and Kanaloa .... the other one will be Ku and Lono ..

... and if anyone uses a Kindle or a Kindle app on their PC, the first book of my trilogy is free for the next 5 days ..

here is the link ....

http://www.amazon.com/Grinzleville-The-Grullings-Adventure-ebook/dp/B002OHD1SA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1329504467&sr=8-2

Finished up this wall hanging of Kane and Kanaloa, all but the poly coat, (even tried my hand at adding a little hibiscus at the top!). The other half of the set will be Lono and Ku ...

R

Big Mouth is my favorite. Great Job!

M

Nice! How much time do have into it?

Mahalo

McTiki

On 2012-02-21 13:53, richie6 wrote:
Big Mouth is my favorite. Great Job!

Thanks Richie!! That one was fun to carve!

On 2012-02-21 17:45, McTiki wrote:
Nice! How much time do have into it?

Mahalo

McTiki

Hi McTiki ..... the Kanaloa/Kane took around ten hours of chop time, more or less .... I finished up the other half of the set, Lono and Ku, which took about the same amount of time. They are stained and ready for poly. I'm going to mount them on some bamboo pieces so they stand out from the wall. For now, here is where they stand:

Capt
Way cool

Thanks Hang10 ..... mounted the bamboo brackets so they will stand out from the wall and put a coat of poly on them so they are finished. Now on to the other half of this log (this is that long sucker that was in the Jeep ... it was split in half)....

Well those last two wall tikis sold before the poly was dry! SO I started the next wall tiki ... this is a 5 and half foot triple Tangaroa. Left and right profiles for the top and bottom and a face front tang for the middle. Here's a couple progress shots:

WooHoo!! Banner is here! .... and the T-shirts are here too! Time to carve some tikis!

N

Strong work Capt...those all look fantastic.

The sign looks great as well

Thanks NIxxon ..... I got some more carving done on the Tang trio ....

Thanks for Stopping and Have a Great Day!

The whole thing:

The top Tang:

The middle Tang:

... and the bottom Tang:

P

yeah man, I'm likin' it!

N

Great idea capt. That's gona be a good one

M

Oh my goodness....will these be full 360 or as we see them now? Awesome endeavor sir. Very nice concept. Diggin it fully!

Mahalo

McTiki

Thanks Guys!

This one is only half of the log .... this is the other half of the two wall pieces I did earlier. I found that big old log and was very disappointed to find it was split down the middle after I de-fronded it. But it did turn out three decent pieces so that was cool. The Tang trio would look great as a full 360 log, maybe I'll do one like that some day ...

Thanks again and Have a Great Day!

Just about done with this trio ... pulled out the soldering iron and did some tattoo work ... I swear all three of them cringed when I got to burning their you-know-whats!

the three Tangs:

... and the whole wall tiki after the dark stain behind the Tangs:

I'm just leaving the Tangs natural but for the tattoo burns ... the poly coat will bring out some color .. Just the poly and the bamboo hanging brackets left to do and this one is done!

Tang tang tang
Like like like

Thanks Hang10 ..... I'm calling this bad boy done! Now time to knock out some bone pendants!

Finished up this bone pendant .... started a Lono to work on tomorrow ...

Took a break and went to watch some spring training ..... now it's back to work!

Finished up this little Lono pendant ... still have a few bones to do but am stoked about some new logs I found so might just jump back into some bigger stuff!

I guess the project for today is to build a new carving horse! This 6 footer was just a bit too much for the rickety old thing!

T

Whoa! Haha, that sucks. I think you can rebuild it. Better. Faster. Stronger.. :lol: Great new sign too.

Thanks 'T' .... for you or anyone else who is thinking of marketing your work, I got that banner from Vistaprint ... the wife got a Groupon deal for $70 worth of goods for $17 ... so I went for it and got that and the T-shirts .... for $17.00!!!

...The rebuild of the carving horse lost momentum when the Ryobi batteries went dead .... so I finished up a shorty version of the BIG MOUTH .... for some reason that tiki has become a favorite so I'm making a few smaller versions ... this is 12 inches high ...

You're killing me with the big white Chicklets.

On 2012-03-12 08:19, AlohaStation wrote:
You're killing me with the big white Chicklets.

It's funny how the most obnoxious tikis are the ones people want the most .... oh well, gotta do what the customer's want!

.....so, not much carving the last few days ... had a guy call with a few freshly cut logs ... very heavy (damn near killed me loading them), so I pushed the Jeep to get them home .... ended up with 5 nice 5 to 6 foot logs and 3 end table size logs ....

... and as I was driving away .... slowly as to not blow the shocks and snap the springs, I glanced at the field to my right and saw a pile of palms down the hill ... Upon further investigation, .... A GOLDMINE of nicely dried logs!

.... My 50 year old bones could only snag seven logs before screaming for ibuprofen, but they are a nice lot .... can't wait to get choppin! .... (oh, and I promised the Jeep a fresh change of oil for all the "heavy lifting" the last couple of days....

NICE SCORE! It is strange how most people do love the big, goofy white smiles and yet the more "knowledgable" tiki fans despise them. I can't say much because I'm guilty of pandering to the masses as well. Looking forward to seeing what's next. CARVE DEEP!

T

Nice score! Hope u at least had a dolly/hand cart with you.

On 2012-03-15 12:42, AlohaStation wrote:
NICE SCORE! It is strange how most people do love the big, goofy white smiles and yet the more "knowledgable" tiki fans despise them. I can't say much because I'm guilty of pandering to the masses as well. Looking forward to seeing what's next. CARVE DEEP!

Yeah, can't blame ya. i think if i had masses to pander to, i would pander also.

You're carving Pander Bears!

On 2012-03-15 13:27, TheBigT wrote:
Nice score! Hope u at least had a dolly/hand cart with you.

On 2012-03-15 12:42, AlohaStation wrote:

Yeah, can't blame ya. i think if i had masses to pander to, i would pander also.

Thanks 'T' ... no dolly or carts for these .... they were down a slope in the middle of a field so it was carrying them one by one up to the Jeep! .... It's definitely a labor of love with this tiki carving gig ..

... hey, at least the cats are happy with the new stack!

... yea, Aloha, it is turning out to be a balance between traditional stuff, which some people really love because of the history, and the 'tourist' stuff with the BIG TEETH and funky bods ..... so, that being said ..... the last two days have been spent carving one for the 'tourists' ...

This is one of the 6-footers .... and yes, it's going to be a BIG MOUTH! .... a 'shaka' BIG MOUTH!

.... Pander Bears! ..... Don't mention "Pander Bears" ... or they'll be putting in orders for carved marsupials ... (Is a panda a marsupial?) .... next thing ya know they'll be wanting a carving of a bear with a salmon in it's mouth!!

Thanks for stopping and Have a Great Day!!

Got quite a bit of carving done on this Shaka BIG MOUTH .... we had a cold rain storm come through which sucks for getting any carving done! I don't work well when I can't feel my hands!

Should be sanding this big guy tomorrow ...

... of course, taking a break from carving means I have time to clean up a couple logs! Good Times!

Cool looking group of work you got there. Keep up the good work. I thought I saw some dust flying around over that way. Ha Ha! Tiki Stan.

P

nice work Jack...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 305 replies