Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Sacramento Capital Tiki Bar/Living Space Tour October 7th, 8th & 9th, 2011-Registration Full

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 608 replies

Sacramento Rocks...Way to go Wendy...Dan...Duane and all the other grooovy guys and gals.

Yeah what Ken said !

Rock on Wendy, rock on!

Thank you men. Another man Dan helped me so much today. He held the three AP mugs upside down until the insides dried.

Then he figured out the spray gun and got it going.

I did a first coat on the bottoms of all the mugs. Did 18 test strips for a for glazes and spray painted three coats on the three APs.

The test strips and the 3 mugs are now baking in the kiln to see if this worked.

Fingers crossed,Wendy

Looking good Wendy.

Dan...during the drying period...shouldn't you be wearing like a clown suit...or maybe a hula skirt and a flowery headband...or an orange highway worker vest!!! I certainly don't want to see you listed on Richard Blackwell's Worst dressed list for mug making.

Hi Vamp, I just got Dan signed up for TC. He will be known as Wendylovestikis!
He will be answering your post about his attire soon.

A HUGE thank you to Joniece Frank of Frankoma Pottery
Babalu
MadDogMike
Gecko
and Notch

All of their helpful hints led me through a successful first firing of the crawl mug. I know that books alone do not tell you everything you need. I used every hint and instruction given by these dear friends and the 3 AP test mugs came out perfectly.

Babalu stressed test test test, so today we finished off the test strip wall and hung the 18 that fired with the mugs. I learned a lot from those tests, sometimes 3 coats are not enough. On the bottom of the crawl mug 2 coats will work so that you can still read Duane's' name (=: Ha Ha.

Here's the update photos, hugs, Wendy

PS We will be at Rugby Matt's tonight for the Hawaii 50 party.

Next for these AP's I will hand paint on the white detail with enamel.

Test Strip wall. I have 40 more to do.

Second coat of glaze for the bottom.

I'm am soooooo happy. 47 mugs to go.

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2010-09-20 17:43 ]

3 down and 47 to go... :lol:

That sounds like you're only 6% done but it's closer to 75%! The concept, sculpt, the mold, the kiln installation, the casting, the bisque firing, the glaze testing - ALL DONE! You're on the home stretch and they look BEEEYOOOTIFUL!

They are looking awesome Wendy and Dan.All your hard work is paying off 10 fold.
I never realized just how much work goes into making tiki mugs....but I do now .
Can't wait to see the white detail painted on .

LMAO...I love it...Wendylovestikis...you guys are a riot!!!

Wow, those mugs just look awesome. I am so sorry I missed Matt's Five-0 event last night. I was stuck in Oakland at work till 7:45pm. I jetted home and caught the last 15 minutes of the show. Bet you all had fun watching the original and new version. I see someone posted a link so hope I can see the whole show online.

You are so wonderfully organized on your glaze chips and the care you take of the mugs...you will make a mark on the industry. I'm so proud of you!!! Thanks to Dan for all the fabulous pictures too. :)

That mug felt sooooo good in my hands Wendy. You must be so thrilled and proud.
In answer to your question last night, Brian did not make it back to the La Mariana :(
He did however pick up an Islander Mug and S&P shakers for me. I have not seen them yet.

See you soon,
Darilyn

Thank you women of tiki, its so fun to be one of you. Vamp we missed you so much. We didn't watch the old version, too much fun talking to each other and eating wonderful treats by Duane and Matt. We did shut up for the new one and it was good.

Today I glazed the inside of the 47 mugs.
Then I cleaned up the lip of each.

Then I spray painted the outside of each mug three times. 6 hours with an air compressor required that I add ear protectors to my cool outfit.

I started in the morning and the last mug was done as the sunset.

There are so many steps that I've not shown. Each mug must have the sides wiped with a sponge before glazing, that starts a capillary action so the glaze sticks. After glazing I have to clean off the bottom ring so the mugs don't stick to the kiln shelf (kiln wash helps too).

Dan and I worked and re-worked the mugs in the kiln but we couldn't get the last two to fit.

As hard as this is I'm enjoying the process and especially all the notes I read here. I smile as I read them. Thank you all so much. Hey 1961surf are you coming to the crawl?

I'll have to fire up the kiln a second time tomorrow just to do those last two mugs.The big load of 45 is baking right now. I woke up with a headache so why not post more of Dan's terrific photography. Tylenol works, I'm going back to sleep.

I hope you are all snuggy in your beds with dreams of tiki mugs dancing in your heads! Cheers, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2010-09-22 03:55 ]

Go Wendy GO!!! (and what a beautiful back yard too :) )

Thank you MadDogMike, Dan and I lay all those perimeter bricks ourselves. To lay brick you have to dunk each brick into a bucket of water or it dries up the mortar so fast it doesn't stick to the brick well.

When I was learning about glazing the mugs I was told to lightly wet the inside and outside of the mug with a clean sponge before glazing. This starts the capillary action so the glaze will adhere well. They used the brick analogy which worked well for my mind.

Hugs, Wendy

I am certainly going to try Wendy , if not I am surely down for a mug ......especially
after all the TLC you have put into them.
Aloha-Bill

Looks great Wendy!!! Well now the bad news, MY WORK SUCKS! Just found out today that I have a inventory on that Saturday and due to cut backs, I'll be there late........ Was hoping that if I couldn't make the day crawl, We could at least get there for the party at vamp's house and Sunday. looks like now we'll miss out till next time. Wendy, we would still like to get a mug, We will be down in Folsom the following week for our own business ( yep work full time and still run my own) If There is any left, We could pick up then?

I love my work, I love my work I... o forget it.....

Hi Surf, I hope you make it.

Opened the kiln this morning, found 13 mugs with some small glaze defect such as a pinhole. Glazed them again and put them in the kiln with the two that had not been fired yet.

It's a big kiln so I did 45 more glaze tests on underglazes. Each chip has the glaze as one coat, two coats and three coats. Then I ran two coats of clear overglaze along the side. Clear glaze can change the color of the undercoat. These chips will guide me on future projects.

The rest of the mugs, 37 of them, that are ready to be hand painted have been brought into the house so I can start. Fed Ex delivers the paint tomorrow for that phase of the project. The crawl is in two weeks! Wendy

Wendy ...you and Dan have taken on a real monumental task here.I can real appreciate
all the time and effort you have put forth to bring these mugs to fruition.
Your dedication is commended and appreciated by all reading this thread and
enjoying your pics .

Hi Surf, can you imagine how many people work to make all the mugs for Tiki Farm? Dan said he has a new appreciation for all mugs, mass produced or not. Every mug takes so much labor. Holden really keeps the cost low for all of us.

I'm enjoying this challenge and I've learned so much super fast. I've also had the gift of valuable advice from so many mug makers. Today LuRu from Facebook contacted me. I don't know if she's on here but she's been in ceramics for 20 years and she loves tiki. I have a new friend who said I could ask her questions any time.

Surf posts like yours keep me going, thank you, Wendy

OK, this is an off the wall comment, but where did you find divided boxes to fit the mugs so perfectly? :lol:

13 re-fired mugs out of 50 is not bad at all, especially since you had to fire the kiln again anyway.

Hi Mike, I bet you can get all you would ever need at work. On the side they say Hospira. Dan found one ready to be broken down and snagged it. Then he asked an RN on the floor if she could save them for him. It took a year to get this many. He had exactly the number I needed for 50 mugs. He takes them flattened when we go to Oasis and on other tiki hunts. I have to give them back after this project. Wendy

G
GROG posted on Fri, Sep 24, 2010 9:08 AM

Good job. Looking great. Now get your butt down here and help GROG glaze Bob Shot glasses! :)

A

This thread has been a lot of fun to follow.

The mugs are looking beautiful. I'm actually a big fan of the black Harvey's Sneaky Tiki mug with their nice abstract tiki, even though it's a little over-exposed (and thus under-rated, imo). Not to mention Luau 400. These Zombie/Coral mugs have a similar look, and it's fun to see the process. Nice job Wendy and Dan!

Now if we could only figure out some way to come to the crawl!

-Randy

Hi Randy, my thoughts exactly. Every mug will be different because I will hand paint every single one. It would be terrific if you could make one of the days, there are so many fun tiki homes in our area. Cheers, Wendy

The cold paint arrived. I'm still on schedule. A couple were leaking but not enough paint was lost to matter. Wendy

Dear Vamp,
I was devastated to learn you didn't approve of my tiki making attire.
I spent months putting that outfit together just for that occasion.
The t-shirt was Armani. The cutoffs Prada. Goes to show I just can't please everyone.

Dan

M

Wow a real post from "Wendylovestikis" !!

You two are doing a fabulous job! I made some little tiki pendants that I'm testing glazes with. It gets crazy when you start to layer different colors and wipe colors off leaving the glaze only in the valleys and then put another color on top.

I can't believe how organized you are.

Toxic clay? I better get a dust mask.

Keep up the posts! Why the wax resist on the bottom? I just don't paint there, and if i do I wipe it clean with a sponge before firing.

Keep up the great work and posts! Wish I could be there for the Crawl.

Z

Then he figured out the spray gun and got it going.

LOOK OUT! SHE"S GOT A GUN!!!!!!
--and spays wery wunnerful mugs with it.
You guys have put together a great homage to sacramentality...
~Zero

Great job on the mugs Wendy and Dan!
When I started making mugs it really
enlightened me about how much time and
energy goes into each mug. You guys
are doing everything right.

Hey Tiki Kaimuki, we will finally meet. We are coming to see you on Sunday.
Thanks guys for all the comments.

First time around I did it by the book. When you get experienced it's easier to
skip steps like the wax. It was good practice. I can't wait until I do layering that's why I'm doing so many glaze chips so fast.

That was Dan's very first post and now he will forever be Wendylovestikis. We both got it right.

Cheers, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2010-09-24 20:17 ]

On 2010-09-24 17:53, wendylovestikis wrote:
Dear Vamp,
I was devastated to learn you didn't approve of my tiki making attire.
I spent months putting that outfit together just for that occasion.
The t-shirt was Armani. The cutoffs Prada. Goes to show I just can't please everyone.

Dan

Dearest Book-M-Danno,
OK...let's honestly evaluate that outfit:

Armani...really...I have the sneaking suspicion it is Arm and Eye, a cheap knock off!!!

Any Fashionista knows Prada can only be worn with accompanying Leopard Print Clutch and Stiletos...I am certainly not seeing any bag and those look like Crocs on your feet...the horror!!!

Here's hoping your next mug-holding event will be more stylish.

Cordially Yours, (Mr. Blackwell's Tiki Assistant)

How about a great big Tiki Central welcome for Wendylovestiki!!! :lol:

W

Hey Dan, wow, your first post! Good for you. I am screaming along at about 20. See you and Wendy on the crawl.

Vamp, I guess I'm just a fashionista wannabe.

Yep Mike, now I've created a monster, I type 1 word per hour.

WS See you soon, Dan

T

Jeez, I didn't realize how much I've missed on this thread. You are quite the tiki trooper, Wendy! My jaw was on the keyboard the whole time I was reading/seeing your progress. You're amazing! Hopefully we'll see you Sunday at F.I.

Tobor, good to see you today at the FI sale. Yesterday morning before we left I took the last load of mugs and glaze chips from the kiln. Success every one came out just fine. We went off to the Southbay crawl and FI sale worry free. We had the best time even though we got lost in the mountains above Los Gatos for 1.5 hours and never found Tikitastics home (dang it). Tomorrow I will start to do the cold paint on each mug. The crawl is less than two weeks away. Wendy

Counting down the last couple weeks until the crawl. I have received and confirmed all hosts information and the schedule is as posted on page 1.

If you are attending, please feel free to bring anything you are interested in trading or selling to the Saturday stop at my house. We had a good time doing this last year and look forward to more participants bringing stuff for this or the White Elephant Tiki Trade (which I am officially right now putting Leleliz in charge of) :wink:

This will be the biggest event in Sacramento to date. I am very pleased to have been in good company with hosts in the past crawls, some still participating in this one and new hosts joining for the first time. I never knew five years ago this would have gained so much momentum and believe me, it has not slowed down.

Wendy has outdone herself with the event mug. Not even in my wildest dreams would I have ever thought this could/would have been a reality, so I and our community here are very proud and humbled by Wendy's amazing effort to produce a Sacramento tribute mug. No doubt to any of us here Wendy has spent countless hours and money to create and produce what is sure to be a gem sought after by many collectors for years to come. This will be a Wendy Cevola creation from beginning to end, sculpted, molded, poured, fired and finished by Wendy and Dan.

With all that being said, please join us for our crawl. We would all love to share what you love-tiki and those things we like to think represent it.

Mahalo,

Duane Orzol aka Psycho Tiki D

[ Edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2010-09-28 15:58 ]

Wow, thank you Duane, those comments are a great motivator. I've found that it's taking 3 hours to finish the painting on one mug. 150 hours for 50. I have 6 mugs done and I'll keep working until they are all done.

Dan's fine tuning the jungle room and the rest of the collection. We will have lots of snacks and coffee and water for our 10 am on Sunday.

I have terrific transport boxes that Dan uses when we go to Oasis. I can bring the mugs to each event starting Saturday. I will have the sign-up list and at each stop those present will be able to pick up their mugs in that order. If you are not there we skip ahead to the next name. Next stop we start over on the list until they are all picked up. There are few assigned numbers a person can choose the next mug or if they prefer move down to a higher number. Some mugs have glazed over debris on the inside bottom. I'm learning, the particles were invisible until glazed. Anyway please bring your own bubble wrap and box. Dan will not give up these boxes.

Here's where I am right now. I'm taking a break and then it's back to work.

THE LIST OF THOSE BUYING MUGS CAN BE FOUND ON PAGE 8

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2010-09-28 16:34 ]

Wendy, (and Dan)---
Holy smokes your mugs are coming together!
looking fantastic, and I hope to see one in person-
not positive I can make the trip to Sac just yet,
but I'm working on it...
would be a thrill to see your pad,
after hearing your humble description.

Was great hanging out last weekend-
much love to you guys for the quality work,
and perfect tiki vibe your sending...

TikiBeast

Wendy, they are even more beautiful than I could have hoped. Great work.

I'm thinking of serving puka punch at my stop. If anyone has a "spare" bottle of Lemon Hart 151 they care to donate, I'd appreciate it immensely. I'm running low and may have to substitute.

L

On 2010-09-28 15:57, Psycho Tiki D wrote:
We had a good time doing this last year and look forward to more participants bringing stuff for this or the White Elephant Tiki Trade (which I am officially right now putting Leleliz in charge of) :wink:

What the??? Ok ...I guess since I am crashing at your place I might as well do SOMETHING to earn my keep!

Mug looks killer Wendy. So happy I have gotten to seen you and Dan so much over these past few weeks--hooray for the end of the year Tiki event rush!

Most likely will be bring what did not sell at the parking lot sale to Duane's for the garage sale so bring more cash :)

See you soon Sac folk!

Wow...the mugs are lookin' KILLER!!! Wendy & Dan you are both amazing, we are so lucky to have you as Sac Ohana. :)

Mai Tais, Munchies, Martini Kings....at my place...BE THERE!!!

Mugs are looking super Wendy, way to go!
Duane, thanks for the mad organizational skills.
Looking forward to participating in my first Sacto crawl.

T

Wendy and Dan,

Our hats are off to you both. The Zombie Hut and Coral Reef shall RISE AGAIN !!!!!!

Awesome job!

Bill and Tonja

[ Edited by: thequin 2010-09-29 15:18 ]

Wendy,

You are rocking the house with your creation! Those embossed details are really coming to life with the paint and the mug is absolutely gorgeous. For those of you who have not had the opportunity to hold this beauty, this is one hefty and well crafted mug.

If I counted correctly on page 8, it appears there are 40 of these babies already spoken for, so if you have plans on purchasing one (who would't), I suggest you get your name to Wendy quickly, as these are sure to sell out!

Looking forward to seeing Dan's addition. It will be a surprise for everyone!

Can't believe it is almost go time.

D

[ Edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2010-09-29 05:45 ]

For a point of reference, this is where we all began...

December 10, 2006.

One day, a Saturday. I had been a member of Tiki Central for slightly under two months. Fifteen of us braved meeting up together for the first time for a Sacramento event, however you will recognize some familiar faces that already knew each other.

We had 5 stops that day...Bo's in Rancho, Swanbergs, Eastern Empire, Bullet's and Ken's house.

More here:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=21867&forum=17&66

Let's see how we grow from here!?!

PTD

I thank each and every one of you for your posts. I always check to see if there are any before I start the work day. I've been assembly lining. I finished SACRAMENTO CALIFORNIA up to the 27th mug last night at 11:45 PM. I hope to get the rest of those words on the remaining mugs today.

Duane you are doing such a wonderful job of managing this event. I loved the photo. I remember how disappointed we were to miss it.

We are so excited to participate and to see everyone. It's such a hug fest. Super wow, Martini Kings! Sorry Vamp that mom's hurt, give her our love.

I sure hope Ken and Beth make it around this time, we miss them so much. This is going to be super. Wendy

Wendy and Dan, those mugs are gorgeous! Keep on keepin' on :)

From the Lagoon of Liquidspaceman...
This sounds great!
I will look more into this event when I get to my computer!
...Liquidspaceman, over and out!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 608 replies