Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Sacramento Capital Tiki Bar/Living Space Tour October 7th, 8th & 9th, 2011-Registration Full

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 608 replies

A mystery...who is Liquidspaceman? Where in Sacramento is his ship? Will he zap us with his ray gun if we give him the crawl schedule? Wendy

PS I've had people offer to send me money for the mugs. I prefer you to just bring the $50 in cash and exchange it for a mug at the crawl. When the crawl is over I will contact those who are on the out of town list if there are left over mugs.

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2010-09-29 16:12 ]

From the Lagoon of Liquidspaceman...
Ahoy Maties! I have been gone for awhile circumnavigating the world!
I think the last post I made was right before "those that know best" decided to bulldoze the old Lyons Restaurant on Watt and El Camino! (I am still recovering from that, btw) :(
It is good to be back in my Lagoon. I was really surprised, and excited hearing about this event. And I haven't missed it!
I have fond memories of the Coral Reef. (It was one of the places I use to "court" Mrs. Liquidspaceman!
I loved the Coralaki (chicken livers wrapped in bacon strips). Tonight I will spend some time reading through 16 pages of information regarding this event. I really don't know much about the event, but if it is an annual event, I have some ideas I'd like to pass on for next year! (I'm an event planning type of guy!) :)
Here's to reading the thread!
By the way Danlovestikis I do have a ray gun. I found one when I visited Yoyo Island, when the tide was out :)
...Liquidspaceman, over and out!

T

Aloha all!
I have a few goodies for sale that some of you might be interested in. They are too big for me to bring over to Psycho Tiki D's house, but I live just a couple of miles from him and anyone is welcome to come over and take a look - or PM me for more info if you're interested and can't make the crawl.

50's rattan coffee table 57x36x15 $75

50's rattan side table with removeable upper tier
lower is 30 inches square and 16 inches tall
upper is 25x18x9 $65

23 x 46 inch Burke Tyree velvet that I bought a few
years ago from Stewart, the owner of Minnie's in Modesto. It hung on
the wall in the restaurant for many years and is still in excellent
condition. A few years ago Stewart decided to sell many of the velvets
in the restaurant, and I had to buy this one. I think its Tyree's best
work. I paid dearly for it $2,500 - but I'm open to offers below that.

And last of all, but not least, a 10 foot tall Marquesan tiki (allegedly carved in the
south pacific in the 60s) for Trader Vic's. It previously lived behind the bar in the
San Francisco Trader Vic's. I paid $1,900 for it at the first Trader Vic's
warehouse sale, and that's what I'd like to sell it for.

From the Lagoon of Liquidspaceman...
Okay, I am now up to date with this thread.
First of all, Great job on the mugs Wendy!!
I am looking forward to the crawl. And I might even
pop for a mug, if there is any left. I will confirm
soon. Keep up the great work, Wendy, and all who are
putting together the crawl! :)
...Liquidspaceman, over and out!

I encourage anyone who is attending the crawl to take the time if you have an interest to check our Mike's one of a kind items he has for sale. I was with him when he purchased the Trader Vic's tiki and it is one of the nicest examples I have seen to date. The Tyree is an example of one his larger velvets and is beautifully rendered. Nice water effects in the painting.

I think Mike will be bringing some smaller items to the garage sale. His collection has some pretty rare or harder to find items, so bring some $$$ and you won't be disappointed.

The crawl begins one week from tomorrow!

PTD

T

Looks like leleliz has dibs on the coffee table.

As of today 45 mugs have potential owners, see page 8 for the list. Please PM me if you need to be added or removed. I will have them done by the crawl. I hit a milestone this morning. All the Zombie Hut sides of the 50 mugs are done. Starting after lunch I will begin painting the Coral Reef side. Here are a few photos of some of the mugs. Cheers, Wendy

Wendy, one for meeee please, too.

And I want that Tyree! (It kills me that they sold so many of theirs, what is Minnie's sans its Tyrees..) And that T.V.'S Marquesan! And and and...

Wendy, you are amazing! Those are gorgeous! It will be a prized possession.

Hi Sven, wow, glad you like my mug. I will add you to the maybe list. Get in contact with Tikiroom.net fot the velvet painting.

47 mugs have potential buyers. Cheers, Wendy

L

White Elephant Tiki Gift Exchange - Saturday 2pm @ Psycho Tiki D's pad

Bring a wrapped (you know throw it in a bag) tacky tiki gift that you no longer want and exchange it for yet another tacky tiki gift you don't want either all for the hell of it. Duane put me in charge so I figure if you got some unwanted Party City/Walgreens/Big Lots faux tiki item that you feel like getting rid of bring it to Duane's 2pm on Saturday so we can have a massive swap of tackiness! I for one love neon plastic tikis so keep that in mind!

In addition I will be bringing everything left over from the Forbidden Island parking lot sale that didn't sell to add to everything Duane couldn't bring down to the sale because his car was packed too full so bring money too.....and buy vintage non-tacky tikis for your collection and help me rid my life of too much clutter. I promise there will be great deals to be had!

See you next weekend folks!

S

Just one more week! I'm really looking forward to seeing all the Sac Ohana again.

Wendy, you put Sacramento on the Tiki map!

Till then, aloha...
Steve

Thank you Steve, I'm doing my best. As of 9:30 this morning I have another 6 painted. I've also painted the words Coral Reef with two coats on the other 38 mugs. When they are all done I will bake them at 325 degrees for one hour.

Im far enough ahead that we are going to go to the after Oasis party at Trader Vic's 7 pm tomorrow. It's free and it would be wonderful to see the Sacramento Ohana there. Cheers, Wendy

See you tomorrow at TV Emeryville, Wendy & Dan.

Liz, great idea. I already know what tacky psuedo-Tiki thing to wrap up.

Hi all, Matt the Cat here,
the mugs look incredible! Can't wait to get ours!

The Keno Kai will be serving Chief Lapu Lapu's on friday night. See you all here.

48 mugs with potential buyers. I really love to have a couple for eBay just to see what happens but I won't hold them back from those who show up for the crawl or are on one of the lists.

See you Brenda and Savage Tiki at TV's tomorrow, it's always more fun with our Ohana there. Hugs, Wendy

Picked the Mother Unit up at the airport today, she is doing pretty good even with 5 broken ribs. She said she might stock up on pain meds for the Martini Kings so she can shake her bootay...LOL. If she isn't too tired we might try to make Trader Vics tomorrow night.

[ Edited by: VampiressRN 2010-10-02 16:15 ]

W

Oh Marlene, hope she is feeling better. Can't wait til next weekend to catch up with everyone and see more fab home tiki bars!

Laura

Vamp we sure hope you can make it to TV's with mom.

Well gang, 15 hours today and I've finished painting all 50 mugs. I also re-painted the first 12 when I found that I had improved during this process and they didn't look as good as the others.

Here are some photos from my very messy hobby room. Cheers, Wendy

Last year when the crawl got to our home we got out Tiki Magazine issues and took this photo. We didn't make it into the magazine but we do have this fun photo to post here.

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2010-10-04 08:48 ]

The special mugs are looking absolutely fantastic Wendy!

S

These are AMAZING, Wendy! Thank you for creating them...

S.

Again, Wendy, what an endeavor and undertaking. First class performance from beginning to end. Thank you so much for the selfless efforts and contribution to our crawl this year. Without a doubt this will be the most memorable one of all.

Thank you, thank you, thank you Wendy!

Thank you for documenting each step along the way. For many of us who have no clue how a mug is produced from conception to finish, this has been an educational process for all of us mug people. I am thrilled to see the fruition of an actual Sacramento mug and hope for a few more in the future. And finished with a few days to spare no less! Are you dreaming about this when you sleep?

I started a thread in Locating Tiki for the Zombie Hut. Dustycajun added pictures of your mug there!

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=37968&forum=2&3

See you all in a few days!

PTD

S

GREAT thread on the Zombie Hut, Duane!

Brings back wonderful memories, I took my prom dates there back in high school.

Wendy's mug will be a cherished possession forever...

Eva's taking a study break so we will BOTH be there SATURDAY! :o
I would like to be there Fri, Sat, & Sun but would need a place to crash Fri & Sat night? :wink:

Also if interested I still have a lot of left over Tiki inventory if someone wants a vendor for a few hours? :)

C

Is it customary to bring anything along for the hosts? Should I bring my own tiki mug or adult beverage to share?

Hunter S Thompson Voice: Whats the score here? What do I have to do next?

[ Edited by: Choptop 2010-10-04 23:46 ]

Hi Choptop...it is totally up to you, but some folks bring a bottle of rum or something similar to donate to the hosts, but this is purely voluntary and not expected. We mostly want you to have fun, stay safe and enjoy the Tiki Ohana. Look forward to meeting you.

AND THE COUNTDOWN BEGINS......

All Crawl Hosts,
I know Duane, Marlene, and I have heard from SoCal folks about attending the crawl this year. Don't think many will make the trip now. I hear TikiKate's funeral is on Sunday. I'll miss Kate, but the SoCal folks knew her much better than I. My heart goes out to them.
Brenda

This has been a rough year for many of us. I too have heard from people who were coming but have now switched plans. I know if she were from this area we would shut this event down. Sunday is also the day Notch marries his long time love. I hope they have the very best time, they will visit Gecko on their honeymoon and that's always enjoyable. Best Wishes Notch. Wendy and Dan

Thank you Duane, you have made my day so many times with your posts. I definitely was inspired by you and our gang to keep going through long days of work on these mugs. I did my best, they are far from perfect. The worst two are mine and Dan's. Even still when selecting a mug go over it carefully to make sure you are happy. Of those left the most off mug is number 3, it's shorter and it's bowed out at the bottom. But since I numbered them exactly at they were made I left it in the group. Someone will love the odd mug. There are some with tiny bits of glazed over debris in the bottom. So check, check, check. While speaking of checks, I will accept a personal check or cash for $50 for your mug. If you want to contribute a few dollars toward buying Ileen a mug for her service to her country (which means us) I will have a collection jar and a card for you to sign. At the end of the crawl it will be fun for me to see how much it turned out to be. I do like to gamble!

Dan's sister is going to watch mom Friday night so we will be at the first stop Keno Kai. So if you are there you will be able to pick up your mug. I go by the list but if you are not there your name is skipped and next in line gets a smaller run number.

Thank you Steve and Vamp and everyone who has posted on this thread. Dan and I just love you all so much. He really made this possible I worked him hard on this mug. We have already started my next mug and Duane again has ideas for a crawl mug for next year. I'll need to start earlier, my kiln shed wasn't even built until July. It took one day to cast one mug (50 mugs/ 50 days), they are super thick so I could carve them without breaking through.

Well here are the first photos of all 50 out of the home oven where yesterday each load baked 40 minutes to set the enamel.

Thank each and everyone of you for taking this journey with me. Let's post tons of photos of the crawl events at the end of each day. I did that for the recent Southbay crawl, FI sale, Trader Vic's post Oasis party. You can view them on each of those threads under CA events.

Lots of Love, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2010-10-06 12:33 ]

Awesome! Awesome! Awesome! I love the colors. Since you were going to put them in the oven anyway you should have filled them with cake batter or creme brule :lol:

Hi Mike, I wish I had thought of that, cake would have been perfect since the baking temperature was spot on. Oh well. The tiki face is not nearly as light or pink as it shows up in the photos. The lettering is much darker as shown. I'm looking forward to your vampire arriving in the mail, I was so lucky, now I'll have two MadDogMikes in our collection. Hugs, Wendy

Saturday night...I will host a moment of silence for all our friends and family members who we have lost to any evil disease or illness. Anyone wishing to share thoughts or eulogies are welcome to do so.

[ Edited by: vampiressrn 2010-10-05 22:08 ]

K
KeithH posted on Tue, Oct 5, 2010 9:40 PM

I can't wait to get down there. I got so excited that I bumped up my departure to spend a quick night in San Francisco hitting Trader Vic's and Smuggler's Cove with another friend before running back up to Sacramento. I'll hit the road bright and early Thursday with hopes of dinner at TV.

Thanks for the incredible pictures documenting the process on these beautiful mugs. I can't to get my grubby mits on one.

Keith

The countdown begins and the clock is ticking...

I have heard from many of you regarding participating and asking for crawl information and have sent out the address to the first destination you indicated you plan on starting at.

Anyone else who is coming and does not have the information they need please email me at [email protected] or pm me here. So far it looks like the turnout is going to be strong.

See those who are coming soon!

PTD

S

I spent my morning picking out 10 aloha shirts, one for each stop on the tour!

I can't wait to see everyone again.

Kudos especially to Duane and Wendy for making this the biggest and best ever.

Bring it on...

Steve

Whoo Hoo...Steve the Fashion Icon of the tour!!!!

W

I'll be bringing a White Elephant!

Laura

Quick, we need to add 2 more stops to the crawl so we can have an entire calendar worth of photos of Steve

Matt the cat here,

taking the day off tomorrow to get the grounds looking respectable. i should probably take Monday off too get me looking respectable.....but that would take more than one day. Chief Lapu Lapu awaits. see you all tomarrow

I'll be bringing a white elephant, if you see a pink one don't drive, Cheers, Wendy

L

Don't forget a crappy tiki gift for the White Elephant exchange to happen at Psycho Tiki D's. Think Party City..think Walgreens...think $1 store tiki.

Also I will be bringing the rest of the stuff from the parking lot sale for sure to Psycho Tiki D's garage sale as well so please feel free to bring moola also ..my bills will thank you :wink:

See you in a just a few more hours.

Looking forward to meeting some of the Sac Ohana who have remained elusive , seeing some great bars and having a nice weekend all around.

WooHoo, I'm as ready as I'm going to be! White elephant is wrapped and ready to go to some lucky sucker.

Liz, I will definitely be shopping at your sale.

Darilyn

I'm really looking forward to this Tiki Tour! I will be giving away more bamboo (17 pieces) at Duane and Ami's Tiki Garage Sale Saturday from 2:00PM to 3:45PM. See you there! Aloha!

Can't wait to see every one, those Martini Kings and Wendy's new Tiki mugs!

[ Edited by: abstractiki 2010-10-07 21:32 ]

That is soooooo kewl of you Dave. I finally got mine hanging in the lounge. You did such an awesome job on them and your Ohana spirit is strong. See ya!!!

Mahalo Vamp! See you soon!!

R

On 2010-10-07 14:29, WSWahine wrote:
I'll be bringing a White Elephant!

Laura

okay but bring shovel for tha fella!

R

Ready!
Steady!
GO!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 608 replies