Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Sacramento Capital Tiki Bar/Living Space Tour October 7th, 8th & 9th, 2011-Registration Full

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 608 replies

Tiki Bob!!! My eyes...my eyes...............LOL :)

TIKI BOB??? I absolutely LOVE Tiki Bob! Put my name on the list RIGHT NOW, Wendy, right after Liz and just before Marlene...

Well, we all know how I feel about TikiBob. So, Wendy, sign me up! For multiples, please. A bowl of TikiBob. I'm overwhelmed.

Keith the Tiki Axe Murderer, you are so very welcome. I had a blast with you. And the teasing was the most fun. Thank you for not killing me in my sleep.

I've already decided where the mug is going. A place of honor. Wendy, you are the best!

Tacky Tiki, I am still overwhelmed by your place. I LOVED visiting. Thank you so much for welcoming us into your home. I may get an anxiety attack from visual overload everytime I step foot in your home, but it's worth it. You keep the torch alive for so many memories.

Duane and Ami, I love you! Without you, Duane, none of this would have happened. And Ami, there's no one I'd rather spend an evening with than you.

Marlene, you rocked the house with the Martini Kings. Thank you for bringing them to NorCal. And your mom, as always, was the life of the party. I'm still getting emails starting with, "You know what Marlene's mom said?"

Steve, your shirts were a parade of fun. Now, next year we must have 12 hosts so we can do a calendar!

All the hosts, mahalo nui. You are the best set of ohana anyone could wish for.

I was saddened to see some of our SoCal brethern bowing out of the crawl and more saddened by the reason. We had a moment of silence at Marlene's in honor of TikiKate and all those we've lost to breast cancer. Love goes out to TikiKate's family and friends.

Now, who's ready to start that floating Tiki party? We need to pick a Friday or Saturday night in November that works for most folks.

Aloha,
Last week was possibly the busiest week I have had all year.

And needless to say the most rewarding as week well. Not only the crawl, but the FI sale two weeks prior kicked my butt.

I spent yesterday paying my lovely wife Ami back for all of her assistance with the crawl by going on a grueling 10 mile hike with her to Castle Peak and the surrounding PCT loop trails with a 2,000 foot elevation gain. This gave me some time to reflect on our crawl.

Although I do some periodical tiki cleaning, I spent most of the week prior to the crawl pulling each item down and dusting. This took an entire week, not only dusting, but re-arranging and adjusting each piece. Lots of support and praise from the wife, (who did an immense amount of cleaning and tidying of the rest of the house and yards herself, not to mention bartend and prepare food).

Our crawl was absolutely outstanding.
I never imagined we would evolve to an event of this magnitude.

10 stops in three days that went off without a hitch.

What an amazing group of Ohana I am proud to be associated with.

The kick-off stop on Friday night at Matt and Melody’s was perfect. The overall ambience of the interior décor, coupled with the outdoor decorating blended well and set the tone for the entire weekend. The usual suspects were in the house and to everyone’s delight, many new faces joined in making our tiki family a little bit larger. The first stop was the beginning of the mug sale and everyone was anxious to get their mitts on Wendy’s Sacramento mug exclusive. A few brave souls even used their mugs to drink from at each stop. Note to Matt and Melody; we hope all is well with Woody. He is such a special guy.

I would venture to guess we probably had a total of 50 attendees come and go throughout the weekend, starting at Matt and Melody's.

The tiki goodness continued the next morning at one of our very first crawl’s host homes.

Bullet pulled off an incredible redo of his tiki presentation and wowed everyone attending with not only his extensive collection of art, mugs and all things tiki, he had completely changed how he presented his collection and the(finished) space he has dedicated is a sight to behold. Looking forward to seeing the back room completed for the next crawl so we can all be wowed again! Thanks brother for all you did, man, you really pulled it off (special thanks to Dan and Wendy for the help they gave Bullet).

The next stop was Sean’s place.

Sean mentioned he has little in the way of tiki, but Sean’s home is a lovely little oasis and the food and drinks were excellent. Sean’s collection I suspect will get larger as time goes on and we look to Sean as a perennial host for years to come. I was quite fortunate to be given a special showing of Sean’s copy of Batman #1 and having been a comic book collector and never having seen this in person, all I can say is “wow”; Sean is a lucky guy to have this!

The next stop was my place.

The Tiki Garage sale was in full swing by the time our guests began to arrive. Abstractiki set up and gave away more of his Islander bamboo stash to the delight of the eager recipients and we had about 20 guests participate in the Tiki White Elephant Exchange. Leleliz called everyone together to begin the swap and the tikihula called out the names. I am pretty sure everyone left with a treasure and were all winners! I wish I would have had more time to talk to people about my collection, maybe sometime in the future?

My biggest surprise was our next stop at Tacky Tiki’s place (in fact I think most of the usual suspects were astonished at this stop). Barbara’s and Mom’s house is an explosion of pop culture from floor to ceiling, room to room and every square inch of their home, yards and driveway are a “kitsch” collectors dream. Dizzying and mesmerizing at the same time. And don’t worry; there is plenty of tiki to see here as well. I found myself speechless at what I saw. Barbara pulls double duty as one of our usual suspects and as a Vespa fanatic group participant as well. If you missed this stop, make sure you don’t next year.

Rounding out the Saturday crawl list was our sweet soul sister and the glue of our Sacramento Tiki Ohana (our official tiki Den Mother) Marlene’s home. Pulling out all of the stops and hosting the Martini Kings was our crawl ringer. The Martini Kings entertained us with three fantastic sets of exotica, lounge and surf music and much to the delight of the attendees, prompted several crawlers into a dancing frenzy.

In between Martini Kings sets, Marlene called for a moment of silence for Tiki-Kate and others Ohana lost this past year. Thank you Marlene!

Again, great food and drinks, as always the marvelous VampiressRN dishes out. What a night!

Being the glutton for punishment, Sunday morning found me waking up and having our guest accompany me to go tiki hunting in the wee hours of the dark morning. Bleary eyed, but ready to strike, we made our way (several times) through the aisles of the Sacramento Antiques show and made some good scores. Jetted home and got ready for our first stop.

Wendy and Dan Cevola’s celebrity status is well deserved. I have not seen a more through and well presented collection of anything tiki than the items professionally and lovingly displayed in their home.
The tipsy factor is incomparable par none. No matter how many times I visit here I always see something I missed the other times. I cannot believe the detail in every area of their home (and now garage) and for the first time I was able to see where the master does her work. The kiln room is a dream come true and I wish Wendy and Dan much success in their new ventures. If our event mug is any indication of the work to come, look out world, you are in for some special and unique items coming your way. We owe a huge debt of gratitude to Wendy and Dan for our event mug and I cannot say thank you enough for making this happen.

Our second stop on Sunday was another first for our crawl.

Darilyn has the most inviting and airy space in her home, with a genuine tiki modern feeling. From the carpet to the bar to the shelves and the Heather Watts velvet, the mosaic fish and gravel fish artwork, the Shag art, her home is akin to a Shag/Tiki/Bachelorette pad, very cool and very inviting. I know I wasn’t the only one that wanted to strip down and hit the pool yesterday (it was warm for October), so maybe next year, if the weather is the same. I definitely appreciated the Kiddles room and always have an appreciation for cross collectors and their collections. A real cool solid gone at this swanky pad.

Off to Rugbymatt’s pad on the third stop. Another wow factor here as Matt has acquired some unique tiki carvings from tiki temples long gone, as well as a plethora of vintage mugs from our cousins to the east tiki bars, with a smattering of other desirable and rare items of the pedigree of tiki names from throughout the country. Matt is very meticulous about his rums, cigars and tiki lifestyle and his attention to detail for his drink and food were excellent. Outdoor patio and bar area was packed with attendees as was the dining and living rooms (living room exclusively for SF Giants fans watching the game). I did get a glimpse of Matt’s yet unpacked boxes in his garage and could only wonder what treasures lie hidden in the sealed cardboard vaults? Next year?? Maybe we will see!

The final stop on Sunday and for the crawl was Brenda’s beautiful home. When we arrived we were not surprised to see Brenda behind the bar, which is adorned with some rare and unusual tiki mugs and artwork finding Brenda doing what Brenda does best…slinging some of the best cocktails in Sacramento! Talent extraordinaire. Got to watch Muscle Beach with a few other tired souls who took refuge with their cocktails and food to relax on the couches and lounge chairs in the warm glow of the afternoon sun gleaming through the back doors into the den. It was just the way I would have expected I wanted to end my day and the crawl.

I cannot say enough about the support and participation of my dear tiki family…

So again, I want to take the time to say Mahalo to all of our hosts. The food, drinks and atmosphere were beyond compare. Your presentation and living spaces embed the spirit of tiki through your eyes and shine as an example to those fortunate enough to visit your homes. Your time taken to attend our event is most appreciated.

To the guest who travelled near and far, we thank you for taking the time to share what we envision a tiki lifestyle to be. What we consider tiki may not be everyone’s interpretation, but it is ours and it is unique and we love to share this with our like minded Ohana.

We did learn and few lessons along the way this time and we will make some changes in the future.

We would love to hear from everyone who attended for any recommendations.

We will ask for RSVP’s next year to allow the hosts to prepare for seating, food, drinks and other preparations/accommodations they need to plan.

There will be another event mug next year. It will be inspired by another short lived Sacramento tiki bar…Tiki Bob’s, so if anyone has any particulars as to when the Sacramento location opened and closed, this will be helpful in our design if you could provide us this information.

The planning is just starting. We will also (with the assistance of Rugbymatt) be designing a double old fashion glass with the same Coral Reef/Zombie Hut artwork for our guests to purchase and use for drinking at each stop.

So, even though the Fifth Annual Sacramento Capital Home Tiki Bar/Living Space Tour is over and in the books, we are happy to announce our next annual event will be the same weekend in October 2011.

See you all soon!

PTD

if marlene is our den mother, duane, you must be our big daddy. thanks for everything ptd! loved reading your recap.

LOL :)

Well for once in my life I don't feel I can post any words adequate enough to express my love for the Sacramento Ohana. This year's crawl was definitely outstanding thanks to Duane's great organization, Wendy & Dan's gorgeous mug and all the generous hosts. I am so sorry I missed crawling on Friday & Saturday, so am very grateful to see the pictures. My Mom enjoyed Saturday night at my pad and loved the Sunday crawl. She wanted me to let everyone know she felt so welcomed in your homes and was amazed at the respect everyone shows each other. She still is not a "Tiki" enthusiast but loves all the Tiki peeps!!!

I am already looking forward to next year too. I will try to get my act together and have my garage transformed into the game room/pub "The Jumping Dog Brew & Cue"...wish me luck.

I'm working on a website for the Sacramento Ohana, so when it is up a running will be back to post the link.

Good to meet all of you Sacramento area tiki-people! The wifey and I had a great time at our first tiki-related event! Thanks to all of the hosts, and esp. to Vampiress RN for beaming up the Martini Kings for an evening of musical wonderment!

I now understand what mug collections are supposed to look like!

What a blast! Mahalo to Duane & Ami, Wendy & Dan, Marlene, Matt & Mookie, Bullet, Barbara, Darilyn, Sean, Brenda, Liz, and all the crawlers who made this such a special event. I appreciate the warm ohana welcome as a Sacramento newcomer and look forward to promoting the spirit of aloha in our future ventures.

[ Edited by: rugbymatt 2010-10-12 19:58 ]

T

Duane, your writeup is flawless! I'd have to say that the white elephant gift exchange was an absolute riot and one of the highlights for me. Looking forward to next year - and we will be hosting for sure!

As to Tiki Bob's Sacramento, if I recall correctly, it never did open. They were planning on it, and even put it on some of the mugs, but it never happened :(

Gosh, I'll be sad when the posts end on this thread. It's been a joy to read each one since this started. Brenda, the Tiki Bob bowl I made years ago and hope to make sometime in the future. The idea for the 2011 event Tiki Bob mug is very different from the bowl. Duane is drawing a picture for me this week so I can get to work.

Many of you were interested in what I was planning for the palm log. Well today I started to work on it. I am copying (sort of) Rugby Matts living room tiki. Hey Matt what's it's history again? I hope one day to turn it into a mug (Alla Crazy Al), so I claim dibs on it for that purpose. I'm going to do a step by step on how I carve the log. This is my very first tiki carving in wood so I'll learn from my mistakes. Please check it out later today under the carving area.

Big Huge Hug for all of you from Dan and Wendy

On 2010-10-12 14:31, danlovestikis wrote:
Many of you were interested in what I was planning for the palm log. Well today I started to work on it. I am copying (sort of) Rugby Matts living room tiki. Hey Matt what's it's history again? I hope one day to turn it into a mug (Alla Crazy Al), so I claim dibs on it for that purpose. I'm going to do a step by step on how I carve the log. This is my very first tiki carving in wood so I'll learn from my mistakes. Please check it out later today under the carving area.

The tiki in my collection that Wendy is referring to is one that I "rescued" from an antique shop in Philly several years ago (posted somewhere here on TC). It was originally done for Langerman's Luau in Narberth, PA. The shop owner I bought it from had purchased it at the sale when they closed Langerman's. It is a Milan Guanko style and is almost identical to the tiki in the Reyn Clark Polynesian Village logo.

Not to side track you from next year's mug Wendy, but if you start chopping now, maybe we can get 50 of your first carved tikis in time for the 2011 crawl? After all, didn't you tell everyone you retired?? No excuses!

PTD

My poor aching back, thank you for the thought Duane. Maybe instead you should draw 50 proposals for the mug for next year! I need them like yesterday. Did you read Tiki Hula's note? I still think our idea is worth doing, let me know, hugs, Wendy

I've posted photos under carving. I told Dan it was like Ren Clarks tiki, our favorite. Matt you are so lucky to have it.

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2010-10-12 16:14 ]

Wendy,

Not 50, but I will have a couple to you this weekend, I hope. I know that Tiki Bob's did in fact occupy a space in the Sacramento Capital Inn for a brief period, maybe opening and closing the same year.

I will follow up, but either way we are gonna claim Bob as a Sacramento tiki icon!

PTD

The names on the mug so it's part of Sacramento no matter what. I'm glad you had that information. Let's go there and explore their attic and see if we can find the Tiki Bob sign. I've ordered a new molding clay that Babalu said is a must. I'm looking forward to trying it out. (: Wendy

Thanks to everyone who opened their homes on the crawl, particularly to PTD for getting me started. This was my first event with the tiki group and the three stops I made it to were amazing. Tacky Tiki's garden was particularly inspiring. Thanks to Wendy for the great mug, only my second one (though I did get a Martini Kings one later in the evening, bringing me up to three.)

Thanks to Marlene for bringing the Martini Kings up.

Monty

I have two mysteries. Help!

#1. Did liquidspaceman come to the crawl and identify himself?

#2. Who is AquaticSafari, John. I can't search him out on TC and I need to contact him about his mug.

Wendy

I think Aquatic safari is John Coyle if I am not mistaken .

T

Thank you all for allowing Tonja and I to attend our first Sacramento Tiki Crawl. Everyone was so friendly and the hospitality was fantastic. It's a lot of work to host and it was very much appreciated. One consistent theme we noticed with everyone was that the Tiki lifestyle helps us all relax in a very stressful world. If we decide to do a monthly potluck count us in to host.

Bill & Tonja

"TikiFig"

L

On 2010-10-13 13:20, danlovestikis wrote:
#2. Who is AquaticSafari, John. I can't search him out on TC and I need to contact him about his mug.

Wendy

Wendy I just sent John a text about his mug . I am sure he will get back to you.

W

Hey Maronetiki, Love your quote at the end of your post "Speak softly and wear a loud shirt". So I take it you met Kingstiedye? :)

Very nice to meet you. See you at the next tiki event!

Laura (formerly from WS too)

Thank you Duane for putting together this wonderful event and keeping it going for all these years. And thank you to all the hosts that opened up their lovely homes to us all. It is a lot of work and I very much appreciate it.

Wendy’s mug was so special. Hopefully there are more to come. It’s just one more thing to look forward to every year.

I am so happy to be part of this community!

Laura

Duane and Ami and everyone else....Thanks so much for a great event. I am so glad I got to swing by your lovely home and see so many friends, both new and old. What a great group of people that call the Sacramento Valley home...Hope to catch up with you all again soon. Marlene sorry I missed your awesome party. Brenda thanks for the thoughtful gift!...and Dan and Wendy I am so glad you finally were able to drop by. I can only imagine all the good times I missed.

Aloha everyone!!!

had a great time at the Crawl...wish I had been able to make it to Marlene's....just heard the awesome stories the next day!

Everyone has such great collections and tiki rooms/lanais! And fantastic food and drinks! Best of all, some of the nicest people anywhere. It was like going on vacation...part work, but the play and scenery more than made up for it! And great new friends like thequinn and Tonja!

The mug is awesome...gotta find a place to shoehorn it into the collection today...love Duane's idea of a Tiki Bob-style mug for next year...

Looking forward to the next Sacramento event!

:drink:
Tacky

Already started work on the double old fashioned glasses for next years crawl!

It's not Tiki, but it's in Sacramento:

I plan on spending Halloween night watching Hard Boiled (the John Woo action movie) and Walking Dead (zombies!!) with my friend Kelly (who many of you met at my house on Saturday). If anyone's interested in joining us, let me know. No BBQ pork, but there will be Halloween candy and cocktails.

Took the Mother Unit to the airport today so she is headed back home to San Diego. I'll miss that cute little monkey...but I am heading down to her house in March and will bring her back with me for another visit (and a Tiki party at my place of course). Please hold Saturday, March 12th open on your calendars for an event at my pad!!!

Stopping back by this wonderful thread to say thank you to everyone that brought hostess gifts, much appreciated. Special thanks to Matt for your great gifts...just now reading the info on the whiskey glass. Quite awesome, will have to get a quality whiskey to try (any suggestions?) This glass reminds me of the glass shape I bought for my kitchenware this year...obviously there is a whiskey in my future. LOL

On 2010-10-17 14:15, VampiressRN wrote:
Quite awesome, will have to get a quality whiskey to try (any suggestions?) This glass reminds me of the glass shape I bought for my kitchenware this year...obviously there is a whiskey in my future. LOL

Marlene,
I just bought "Highland Park 12" from Cost Co for $36.00 I hear that it's a great place to start for single malt scotch. Other places sell it for about $60.00

Sac Ohana,
I had a great time on the three day crawl. Special thanks to Matt for putting me up or putting up with me the whole time. Great partner in crime. Hey if seeing all this poly pop is a crime, LOCK ME UP!

I've got a small starter collection and one room devoted to it pictured here.

I'd really enjoy being a stop on a home tiki bar crawl but there isn't a North bay crawl.

Hi Eric, it's fun to see your pad! Cool, you have a bigger tiki than most of the guys, a great start. Hugs, Wendy

Great start Eric...and darned good thing you bought that club (even if you were having an out-of-body rum-induced shopping experience that night)...LOL.

On 2010-10-19 18:50, VampiressRN wrote:
Great start Eric...and darned good thing you bought that club (even if you were having an out-of-body rum-induced shopping experience that night)...LOL.

Vamp,
Ya, funny thing is that I didn't remember buying it until the next day my friend told me, "Hey nice war club you bought last night". I said, Umm, Hu? What war club?
Any way, I'm going to place it in a shadow box and put a "Break glass in case of emergency" sticker on it. I'm sure it will be a classic being that it's right next to a tiki.

Wendy,
And I'm not over compensating for anything by having a large tiki... Actually I have two large tikis. Here's the other one that I dedicated with a fire work on his head during a party that I had.

[ Edited by: Savage Tiki 2010-10-22 01:27 ]

My sister's fireman husband cringed at the closeness of the burn to the house, you are a savage! Wendy

Flaming tikis, oh my!

Just dragged my sorry butt home from a 13 hour work-day & was greeted by this when I walked in the door.

In it's new home:

Thank you so much Wendy. The mug is awesome & the envy of all my friends! :D

Some things are just too special not to share. Wendy

Almost forgot: Here are two snapshots of your mug from different views, in my "Black Mug" collection at Tiki Island above the Silverlake

Sven

-----Original Message-----Subject: Re: Emailing: Swizzle on Wendy Cevola Master Tiki Mug Maker Island
By Sven Kirsten:
"It is the greatest joy for me to witness people like Wendy who evolve from the mere (albeit passionate) collecting of Tiki mugs to actually creating them, and doing that with such an eye for what is the essence of Tiki. Her work really embodies what inspired me to fall in love with Tiki culture in the first place: It is pure EYE CANDY!"

On 2010-10-22 01:19, Savage Tiki wrote:

On 2010-10-19 18:50, VampiressRN wrote:

Vamp,
Ya, funny thing is that I didn't remember buying it until the next day my friend told me, "Hey nice war club you bought last night". I said, Umm, Hu? What war club?
Any way, I'm going to place it in a shadow box and put a "Break glass in case of emergency" sticker on it. I'm sure it will be a classic being that it's right next to a tiki.

Wendy,
And I'm not over compensating for anything by having a large tiki... Actually I have two large tikis. Here's the other one that I dedicated with a fire work on his head during a party that I had.

I was there to witness this and it was indeed scary but luckily we were well fortified with cocktails by the time the fuse was lit.

[ Edited by: Savage Tiki 2010-10-22 01:27 ]

On 2010-10-19 17:32, Savage Tiki wrote:
Sac Ohana,
I had a great time on the three day crawl. Special thanks to Matt for putting me up or putting up with me the whole time. Great partner in crime. Hey if seeing all this poly pop is a crime, LOCK ME UP!

Great having you on board for the crawl Eric.

I know, I know, it is extremely early, but never too early to start planning for next year's Sacramento Capital Home Tiki Bar/Living Space Tour.

The initial planning meeting was held last Saturday night. There will be some minor changes, albeit good ones in store for next year's event tentatively scheduled again, for the second weekend in October (7th, 8th and 9th).

Wendy Cevola will be creating another outstanding Sacramento event sculpt (Wendy will be posting the selection and progress in this thread).

Rugbymatt will be commissioning a commemorative Mai Tai glass as well. Heck, there may even be an event poster this time around!

We will try to incorporate a Tiki dinner at Eastern Empire and a visit to both Swanbergs and The Hideaway as part of our crawl in 2011. More information will obviously follow as we are in our early infancy of planning stages.

So...asking for any new (or seasoned) Sacramento area volunteers! We had several brave souls indicate they wanted to host in 2011 during our last crawl.

We will need one host for Friday evening. This will probably be after the "Kick-Off" dinner at Eastern Empire.

One host for Saturday afternoon and one, maybe two for Saturday evening. Saturday will start out at the Hideaway in Curtis Park for Brunch and the Tiki Garage Sale, a visit to Swanbergs in Midtown...and hosts after.

Sunday will be all hosts...four to five depending on participation!

So, come one and all...hosts are needed and new faces are welcome!

If you are interested in hosting or have any questions, please PM me here or email me at [email protected]

Later,

PTD

Really looking forward to 2011, I think it will be a great mix of local business and home bar action. I won't let the cat out of the bag...but I am super hyped on what Wendy has planned for the crawl ceramic...it is unbelievable!!! I also am really jazzed to get to use my new lounge icon that Jason helped me with on a set of glasses (thanks to Matt for heading that project up). And of course a big round of applause to Duane our Grand Marshall for organizing the crawl...he does a fabulous job.

If you haven't hosted before and have questions, just as those of us that have as we have learned lots over the years. It really is a blast to host and the Sacramento Ohana is wonderful and will help you out as needed. I am looking forward to seeing the lounges I missed this year in 2011 as I hear they were awesome.

CHEERS!!!!!

Thank you Vamp. Duane once again has inspired the ceramic for our crawl.

I had one comment about last years mug that I've taken to heart in this years design. I was told that he (not Duane) wished the words Zombie Hut were smaller so they could be seen all at once without rotating the mug.

The design that will emerge for this year will not have that problem. Again I will post the step by step production of our ceramic number two. Post your comments I will pay attention.
Cheers, Wendy

Another Sacramento Landmark Tiki Establishment.

You go, girl!

Thanks Matt, I'm cleaning up some other projects and then I'll start on the Crawl Project. Wendy

It's funny but sometimes the base of a project takes a lot of time. I've been putting Romo Clay number 2 over a vase. This is a soft clay to cover large areas. I'm working on some ideas. If it looks like I can mold it then I'll keep going. If not I'll re-work it. Step by Step until October! Wendy

putting it on the calender and thinking about asking it off from work now :)
After this past years mug from wendy, can't wait to see whats up for 2011

Thank you Ka'lenatiki, I hope this works out. This years design will be a decanter. I'll be doing the mold this time so there's more to learn. Also this will require under glazing so that's new too. So here are more of the step by step photos.

I like to carve a chop stick into a little block shape I can push into clay to do my lettering.

I printed the photo to the size that I needed for the decanter. I cut it out and pressed a tool into the clay to make an outline.

I heated number 4 Romo clay so I could form a slab. This is super hard clay when not heated. Then I used a sticker remover to cut out the Tiki Bob. This is a tool I use often, it's my favorite for working clay.

I removed clay from the drawn area so I could set the hard clay Bob into the depression.

Now I sealed it into this spot with more hard clay.

Now I cut out the face shape so I could use it as a template for the removal of more clay from Bob's face.

Bob's done for now. Next up will be the abstract background that will be repeated on all sides of the decanter.

More photos later today. Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2010-12-06 08:29 ]

The photos tell the story.

When I glaze should the spout be a volcano with red and black lava pouring out?

Next step is to carve the lines on the three other sides. The front is done.

Then it will be time to see if Dan and I can make a six sided mold. Wendy

R

It looks terrific Wendy!

One word: AWESOME!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 608 replies