Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Sacramento Capital Tiki Bar/Living Space Tour October 7th, 8th & 9th, 2011-Registration Full

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 608 replies

OMG...I am crying here...that is just beautiful Wendy!!! I love the shape and the designs you have on the surface. You are brilliant. :wink:

Matt, Brenda and Vamp, THANK YOU! We are on our way to the Hideaway in a minute. I'm bringing the decanter so everyone who is there (sorry to miss you Vamp) can let me know if it really is what's wanted for the next crawl. Art looks different in person. Where's Duane??? Wendy

I don't think Duane is going to make it tonight. I am going to try to stop by Saturday afternoon for a drink. Have fun tonight...I know the Sac Ohana will love your work Wendy.

Well, well, well...this is enough to make me take a second break from not posting to express my wows and yet again be amazed by Wendy Cevola, Sorry to have missed everyone a second time at the Hideaway...I am in Oahu and will follow-up tomorrow night, I am at Bellows AFB and will be in Waikiki to comment more this week!

We missed you Duane. The Hideaway is terrific. Dan and I had a great time and even made a new friend named Cameron. His Tiki Central name starts with Shawn but I forgot the rest. We invited him to come for a visit.

I had fun showing the prototype for the decanter, I'm so happy you like it. Thursday we will try to start on the mold.

I hope you can make it to La Mariana if you haven't been there before. Enjoy, Wendy

Wendy, words escape me. Hmmmm..... what should I put in my decanter?

Duane, I PM'd you with my Hawaiian shopping list. I hope you took an extra bag.

Darilyn

Notice: we all had a great time at the Hideaway Bar on Tiki Tuesday. I hope everyone will try to attend each time.

Vamp so sorry to hear you hurt your back. I hope you are well super fast, we missed your presence at the bar.

LiddleLola, how about milk? Wendy

OFFICIAL ORDER PLACE FOR THE SACRAMENTO CRAWL TIKI BOB DECANTER. I'LL PLACE NAMES HERE AS I RECEIVE PM'S OR EMAILS.

I will take requests from anyone including those who can not make the crawl. Those who come to the crawl will have first dibs on the decanters. If there are any left those who did not attend will be contacted.

Like last year first come first serve each day of the crawl. So come at the start and pick up your special number. Last year 4 people wanted number 13.

Example: Tiki Mookie is number one but if they do not come the first day of the crawl and Brenda does then she can take the number one. This worked out fine last year. Thank you all for your support. Wendy

TIKI MOOKIE (1 DECANTER)
BRENDA'S TIKI HUT (2 DECANTER'S)
LELELIZ (1 DECANTER)
VampiressRN (1 DECANTER NUMBER 11)
Phycho Tiki D and Kevin (2 Decanter's)
RugbyMatt (1 Decanter #2, #5 or #25, the first numbers are spoken for if they show up)
wendylovestikis (1 Decanter reject for helping to make them)
danlovestikis (1 Decanter because I need one for my shed any left over number)
WSWahini (1 Decanter #13)
stevesoto (1 Decanter #5 or #12 RugbyMatt wants #5 also)
Aquatic Safarinaut (1 Decanter #21)
Ka'lenatiki (1 Decanter)
Corona Contessa (1 Decanter)
MaroneTiki (1 Decanter)
Choptop (1 Decanter)
Cathie W. (1 Decanter)
Levi Strange (1 Decanter)
Moai Nui (1 Decanter)
ebTiki (1 Decanter)
Tobor64 (1 Decanter)
Loki-Tiki (1 Decanter)
The Quinn-Tonja and Bill (1 Decanter)
The Blue Kahuna-Gregory (1 Decanter)
Joanne (1 Decanter)
Scott (1 Decanter)
cdtiki (1 Decanter)
Debra M. (1 Decanter) friend of cdtiki
Miss Monk-ii (1 Decanter)
Laura Riley (1 Decanter)
1961Surf (1 Decanter)

THANK YOU TO EACH PERSON WHO ADDS TO THIS LIST, HUGS, WENDY

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2011-09-17 08:59 ]

L

me for 1 decanter!!

That is freaking AWESOME !!

K

One for me please. I look forward to seeing you guys again.

Of course you know I want decanter #11. :wink:

Z

[ Edited by: ZeroTiki 2010-12-09 20:43 ]

One for Duane and one for Kevin please, Wendy!!

D

R

Wendy,

Put me down for one please, #2 or #5 would be appreciated or #25 even. Mahalo.

Matt

W

Hi Wendy, Please put me down for one. Would like #13 if possible. Thank you!
Laura

Aloha Wendy! Please put me on the list too.

I'd like either number 5 again or 12, if possible.

Mahalo, Steve

Aloha Wendy!

Please put me on the list...how about #21?

Thanks,
John

hey wendy... in for one. thx

Wendy....Sandy (Corona Contessa) would like to be added to your list for a decanter please.

We are teaching ourselves how to make molds. I think we have all the supplies as of today. We are going to make molds of four items before we attempt to do the decanter. I will post the making of the decanter mold here and the other molds on my crafts thread.

Here are photos of trying to put together an aluminum sided mold. We may do wood but finding C clamps that work is hard. We bought more today that may do the trick. Wendy

Careful, when you remove the tape from around the roll it explodes and unrolls all the way. I was prepared but it was like a bullet across the space.

Very sharp edges.

I measured where I wanted the corner and put the sheet between two boards.

I pushed it against a flat surface to bend.

Tin snips to finish for an L shaped piece.

Put them around your bottom board and secure with a strap.

I forgot to take a photo of the small paper clamps that I put around the top to hold the aluminum in place.

After all of this I decided that using laminated boards are better for big molds and this method is better for mugs and smaller items. We will start again tomorrow using boards. Wendy

Hi Wendy;

Please add me to the decanter list, any number is fine. Thanks

I'm planning on making it to January's Hideaway. We were in Maui last week and couldn't make. Did some diving and general touring. Also took Matt the Cat's advice and bought some ginger plants and a red plumeria. Hope to add to the garden next summer. Any advise on growing the ginger would be appreciated.

I hope someone can help you with your plant project, I have no idea.

I'll add you to the list, thank you, Wendy

Duane,

Mele Kalikimaka! When you get a chance can you send me a clean file of the TB's Sacramento art that Wendy is using for the decanters so I can useit for the crawl DOF glasses. Mahalo.

Matt

Brenda, I love those shoes!! (this is a fabulous photo, I almost want to see it black and white).

We hope to see everyone at the Hideaway Tuesday. Duane asked me to bring the decanter. It is still in clay and not molded yet. We are hard at work for the Forbidden Island mug/decanter. When those are finished then I will start on the decanter mold. Happy New Years, Wendy

I have started the list on page 27. If you would like a decanter send me an email or PM.

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2011-01-07 20:19 ]

Doing some catching up here while I have some time. Met up with my Sacramento Ohana at The Hideaway last Tuesday night. It was my first time there and I was pleasantly surprised. Although not on par with our cousins to the west and south, there is potential for this humble start up and I look forward to seeing it develop into a full blown tiki establishment in the months and years to come. It is easy to be spoiled with all the places to choose from in the Bay and LA area. I am happy I can get here in under 20 minutes as opposed to an hour and a half to the next closest tiki bar, Trader Vic's in Emeryville.

I was able to see Wendy Cevola's newest creation up close and personal. It is a beauty, no doubt about it. The detail is incredible and I am glad Wendy chose to make a decanter this time around. I appreciate all the love and hard work both Dan and Wendy are doing. To take time out to represent our Sacramento Ohana goes above and beyond written word and I again cannot express enough our gratitude and awe for channeling her talents to recognize our Ohana here in the Sacramento area.

Here are a few pictures:

Special thanks to Rugbymatt for steering Mariah in the method of tiki drink making! The Blackbeard's Ghost's were good and the company even better. See you all around!

PTD

Someone recently asked me about buying one of the Zombie Hut/Coral Reef mugs from our crawl. I told him I may be making some in the future. I have lost his PM and so if you are him please write to me again.

This past summer I poured 10 more of these mugs. The molds were further gone and it took hours of carving to put the lettering back. They have been waiting for me.

I planned on putting them on eBay to see what others from outlying areas will think they are worth. I was going to change them. In the end I am too super busy right now that I have decided to do three like those I did for the crawl. That will mean there were 3 artist proofs and 50 for the run. I will number these 48, 49 and 50. I owe one to the PM sender. Two may go on eBay.

The 7 that are left I will change up and I'll let you know how later. They are firing right now with just the glossy black. Working on these is like visiting an old friend.

Glazed the inside of each mug.

Hand painted the outside with three layers each. Too cold to go outside with a spray gun.

Finished the 10, time to fire them.

More photos to come. When the Forbidden Island Tiki Crates are done I will mold the decanter and off we will go. Cheers, Wendy

C

On 2010-11-08 13:56, Psycho Tiki D wrote:

The initial planning meeting was held last Saturday night. There will be some minor changes, albeit good ones in store for next year's event tentatively scheduled again, for the second weekend in October (7th, 8th and 9th).

cant wait!!!

C

dont know if I posted my pics from the crawl or not... but here is a link to the gallery

http://gallery.me.com/agalbraith#100045

C

When are The Hideaway gatherings?

Hi Choptop, I sure had fun looking at your photos. I had a tour of my home! The Hideaway super fun gatherings occur at 6 pm on the second Tuesday of the month. So the next is on February 8th. I'm going to bring an example of the Tiki Crate mug that I made for Forbidden Islands 5th anniversary party to encourage everyone to attend. That event is April 21 a Thursday. I hope to see you at one of these. Cheers, Wendy

Hi Everyone and SacOhana, Here's the latest news. I have fired the Zombie mugs but I haven't had time to paint any. They will have to wait.

Dan and I made our first mold. It took us two days. I'm going to participate in the Tiki Bob sale by Grog. This was a practice so we can mold the decanter. I put photos on my craft thread showing the step by step. It starts on page 9.

It was very heavy messy work, its good to have Dan to help. Wendy

ps I hope you are feeling better Duane. I checked out Tiki Finds and wow we love our Tiki King mugs and that was one we had never seen before.

Well friends today Dan and I spent 7 hours straight in our cold garage and rainy backyard making a 6 sided mold of the decanter. I sure hope it turns out ok and that the detail shows up. We will open it this week when we are ready to make more molds a piece at a time while the sculpture is still inside. Right now it must weigh 50 pounds! Photos soon, cheers, Wendy

Here we go, the mold in progress. I want to be known as the first mold maker to use bubble wrap. I post the photos here and on my crafts thread since different people read different threads. If you read both I'm a lucky woman. Wendy

I use a straw to blow mold soap out of the detail in the sculpture.

We cleaned up after every pour of plaster to keep the dust from entering our home. We wore masks when ever we worked with it.

When I open this 6 sided mold I will do it one slab at a time and I will make another mold as I go. I'll post photos when that happens.

It took 5 times this amount of slip to make the Tiki Crate Mugs/Statues. Today we had these filled so that I can start of the Crawl decanters soon.

I sure hope that everyone makes it to the crawl in October, the more the merrier! I've started an order list for the decanters on page 27. This will help me make an appropriate number. I'm doing the Tiki Bob show on-line this year and next year I'll put one of the decanters on.

Cheers, Wendy

Hey my fellow tiki aficionados and local Sacramento Ohana-

We are officially 7 months away from the next Sacramento Capitol Home Tiki Bar/Living Space Tour which is slated for October 7th through the 9th, 2011. Time has a way of passing quickly, so this is just a reminder of the event.

In an effort to start solidifying our schedule, I am asking anyone who is thinking about hosting for this event to let me know as soon as you can. We are hoping to see some new locales from our Sacramento Ohana this time around. We had several people indicate they would be interested in hosting in 2011, so here is your opportunity to share your love for tiki and show off your space. We would also love to include anyone who has hosted any of the previous tours. Last year we had approximately 50 attendees and I believe it would have been more if not for the loss of Tiki Kate at the same time last year.

Looking to fill the following dates:

Friday evening October 7th:

Filled by Rugger's Reef (Rugbymatt)-time to be determined but guessing 7:30 p.m.-11:00 p.m. following dinner at a yet to be determined location.

Saturday October 8th:

11:00 a.m-1:30 p.m.

2:00 p.m.-4:30 p.m.

5:00 p.m.-??

Sunday October 9th:
11:00 a.m-1:30 p.m. Wendy and Dan Cevola

2:00 p.m.-4:30 p.m. stevesoto (Steve)

5:00 p.m.-?? Brenda's Tiki Hut (Brenda,tenative)

The schedule and times are subjective to change as we get closer as we need to determine if The Hideaway or Swanbergs will be included in this event.

All in all, we would like to spend more time at each stop, but if more hosts volunteer, we can flex the schedule around as needed.

As you have probably seen in previous posts, Wendy Cevola is extending her incredible talent to our local Ohana yet again this year and has created a one-of-a kind Tiki Bob decanter as a tribute to another fallen Sacramento tiki establishment. The detail on this is a sight to behold and we thank both Wendy and Dan for their selfless commitment to making this event masterpiece a reality for the second year in a row. If you have not signed up to purchase one of these, make sure you do. Wendy, I hope you have me down on the list to purchase one of each of your mugs! (I am looking forward to the Missionaries Downfall, FI Crate and Lanai mugs).

Matt Hull is coordinating the event drinking glass, which will feature the artwork Wendy used to create the decanter and these will also be available for purchase at each stop along the way. We will also try to incorporate the Tiki White Elephant Trade and Tiki Garage sale somewhere along the way.

With all that being said, once again, if you are interested in hosting this year, let me know right away. It is never too early to begin planning this event.

As a side note, this will be my last year coordinating this event. I think it might be time to hand the tiki torch off to a new volunteer to run with the ball. I have had a blast doing this the past six years and appreciate all the assistance, ideas and above all, the hosts who have opened up their homes to us all. Like anything thing else in life, it is time for change and I am confident whomever takes this over will breathe fresh life into an already successful event. I have made some truly fantastic and amazing friends and have learned so much about tiki from these times together sharing the common interest we all love.

Please PM or email me if you want to participate or if you have any questions.

Mahalo,

Psycho Tiki D

[ Edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2011-03-10 05:38 ]

Thank you Duane for providing excellent leadership and activity guidance over the years, you will be missed, but like you say, it is good to keep the torch moving. I am opting out of hosting this year, but can certainly be counted on as a back-up if necessary. It was so great to see new folks hosting last year, and I look forward to seeing other folks host this year...it really is a blast and ya can't get any better than Tiki Ohana for a good time.

At our last meeting, there was a strong support for inclusion of a couple of Sacramento businesses in the crawl and sure we can figure out which would work best (especially with the experiences of the Tiki Tuesday events.)

The excitement over Wendy's decanter is mounting as she posts pictures of her progress...what an awesome piece of art...we are very lucky to have Wendy as our star artist here in Sacramento. And a shout out to Dan...we know you do a lot to make it happen too.

Laura and I are still slowly working on the Sac Ohana Recipe Book to be available for the 2012 crawl. I also have some suggestions for that crawl that I will share at our St Patiki Party in a couple of weeks.

For those of you that are thinking about hosting in 2011 but not sure you will be ready, just link up with any of the past hosts and we can certainly give you hints on how to get your place in shape for the event.

LOOKING FORWARD TO A FABULOUS 2011 SACRAMENTO HOME CRAWL!!!

Hi all, Matt the cat hre,
The Keno Kai is always open if you need us. as i've said before, if others want in and can fill the void. great, if not, here we are.

thanks PTD

Count the Hut in where ever on the schedule you think it would fit best. I'm looking forward to enjoying some old favorites and new wonders this year. This years event is not to be missed with Wendy and Dan's marvelous decanter and our own crawl glasses. And all the fabulous libations. The white elephant exchange last year was a huge hoot. Definitely a favorite.

Hi Duane, the joy you have brought us all can not be measured. You and Amy are so dear to us. Thank you for all the hard work in co-ordinating this event each year. Thank you for starting my new career in ceramics. Since we do the ceramic project each year we will not be on the list of those who want to plan it in future years.

It's true I couldn't begin to do these projects without Dan, he is there helping step by step. This time around we will have more than one mold to use which will make it easier for us to make a higher number of the decanters. Last year it was one mug made per day and one sale per family because the mold couldn't handle more than that. So if you want to sign up for more than one decanter because you have a friend that's fine I'll just add the number after your name on the list.

I plan to carry all of the decanter's to each home starting on Friday. I will run it like last year. If you are on the list and present I sell first come first to buy. Then at the end of the crawl I will contact no-shows and out of the area people on the list and sell until the decanters are all are gone.

Duane, We volunteer to host on Sunday at 11 am. We will have enough food for a light lunch. BYO Booze, we will have coffee and bottled water. Last year I forgot to tell everyone to get the water from the refrigerator, we had several deaths from thirst, so sorry!

NOTE: if there are so many new people wanting to open their homes we can be canceled.

Thank you everyone for your encouragement. You are our best friends, Wendy and Dan

First load of supplies to make the decanter and more molds.

Wow, that was quick...

So far, two slots are filled:

Rugbymatt will host post dinner on Friday night.

Wendy and Dan will host Sunday at 11:00 a.m.

Brenda, are you up for the last stop on Sunday again?

Matt, will keep your offer open. Loved all the stops last year, so anyone who wants to host again or for the first time...post here, PM me or [email protected].

Thank you guys and gals! Love you mucho!

PTD

R

Duane,

Thoughts on registration charge this year with crawl glass as a reward? Also pre-orders for the glasses?

Matt

S

Duane,

Please put me down for Sunday from 2:00 - 4:30 pm.

Mahalo,
Steve

L

Stevesoto where have you been??? :)

White elephant exchange and tiki garage sale again at your house Duane I hope.

I would be happy to sign up to manage the registration from site to site. Will register participants on my iPad and will need a helper for $change and swag. Wrist bands and tracking decanter/glass distributions will be easy as I can get much of the work set up ahead of time via RSVPs. I can set up the registration station in everyone's dining room.

Of course i'm in. Logical time slot is after the Jungle Room, but I'm open to whatever works. I'll be more prepared tnis time since I lost my hosting cherry last year.

L

Darilyn you did a fine job..your drink was awesome..your place was fantastic. Felt like I was in a SHAG painting :)

ALOHA!

Please allow me to re-introduce myself to you all. My wife Milly and I have met most of the Sac-town group at TikiCrawl over the past couple of years and are now in the finishing phase of our very own tiki room in the Streng home we purchased near A.R.C.

I'll get some pix together and post them here and let the group decide whether or not we are ready for guests this year or if we should wait till next year.

Pix to come soon

Randy

Hey Randy...just sent you an eVite to our St Patiki Party at my pad on Saturday, March 19. Hope you and your wife can make it. I know we will be chatting up plans for this year's crawl.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 608 replies