Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Sacramento Capital Tiki Bar/Living Space Tour October 7th, 8th & 9th, 2011-Registration Full

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 608 replies

Randy,

No need to worry if we think you are ready...we all wonder if we are ready. Let me know soon as there are only two slots left on this schedule (of course this can be modified if neccesary).

Darilyn,

Steve took the spot after Wendy for Sunday, can you let me know what time works best for you on Saturday?

Matt,

Can you PM or email me with specifics for the registration ideas please?

Thanks everyone!

PTD

Yes, PTD, the Hut is up for closing down the crawl on Sunday. Last year the party lasted until 2:00 am! The Sactown crew sure can party!

Hey Bren...it is always so comfy to wind down at your place after the crawl...thanks for bringing up the rear...it is one of the most important stops.

Duane,

Maybe we might want to adjust the schedule on Sunday to:

10-12 Wendy and Dan, Elk Grove
12:30 - 2:30 Darilyn's Elk Grove
3:00 - 5:00 Steve's South Sac
5:30 - ? Brenda's East Sac

I think that makes more sense geographically speaking...

S.

On 2011-03-11 12:27, stevesoto wrote:
Duane,

Maybe we might want to adjust the schedule on Sunday to:

10-12 Wendy and Dan, Elk Grove
12:30 - 2:30 Darilyn's Elk Grove
3:00 - 5:00 Steve's South Sac
5:30 - ? Brenda's East Sac

I think that makes more sense geographically speaking...

S.

By all means, if Dan and Wendy are up to starting a little earlier??

D

Hi Guys, that early start is fine for us. This is looking good! Wendy

I should say that it only takes 5 minutes to get to my house from Dan and Wendy's so you can move them to a little later and there will still be plenty of time at both places.

I'm going to put a shout out for a "co-host". It would be really nice to have a hand in the morning to get things ready. Mahalo to Brenda and her entourage for bailing me out last year. I don't want to get in that situation again.

My guest room is available if anyone wants to stay over. PM me if you're interested.

Darilyn

On 2011-03-13 12:16, LiddleLola wrote:
Mahalo to Brenda and her entourage for bailing me out last year. I don't want to get in that situation again.

Ooh, I have an entourage! And it was all men!

Hi Duane, so 10:30 am start time at our home for the crawl on Sunday?

I've started painting the last three Zombie Hut/ Coral Reef mugs.

#48 for me
#49 for a collector friend from out of state.
#50 to put on eBay soon for fun and profit!

After those I have a few that I will glaze with real gold and red enamel cold paint.

I have a new newspaper article that came out today. The link is on Gallery and my other crafts pages. It has errors but what the heck it's still a lot of fun. Wendy

Working on the painting.

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2011-03-26 09:26 ]

Hi Friends of Tiki and The Sacramento Ohana on Facebook.
I am slowly working towards opening the mold. I fine tuned the edges yesterday after we finished making three Tiki Bob molds. It's one step at a time. I practiced on the Bobs to see how it would work to make molds from molds. It did work so soon we will try it on this decanter so I will have more than one mold. Cheers, Wendy

Hi Sacramento Ohana and all of our friends and future friends.

Here is an update on how the Sacramento Crawl Tiki Bob Decanter is coming along.
I have posted photos showing how I used a glass vase as a base for my clay when making the next Sacramento Crawl ceramic for 2011. I didn't have enough sculptures clay so I stretched it out by covering the vase. Huge mistake because I wanted to make multiple molds. If I was only making one mold no problem. More than one - horrors. Here's what happened.

We were so happy to have made our first 6 piece mold. However we had not opened it because we were waiting for the day we could take off one piece and mold it three times before moving on to the next side.

The clay would not hold to the glass. I'd take off the plaster section and the clay would break loose and part would stay stuck on the plaster.

I would have to pry it loose and then put it together like a jigsaw puzzle. Then I had to smooth out the cracks and resculpt the design. To get the three molds. I had to do this entire process three times per side.

Of course our bucket cracked when we were mixing the plaster. Dan ran it outside leaving this trail behind.

We just kept working. There was never a side that held.

We had been at it from 7 am until 5:30 pm. Dan was able to get all the plaster trail off the garage floor, got to love that guy.

By the end of the day we had four mold pieces for each of the four largest most complicated parts. What's left are the two smallest sides. 6 repair jobs and then we will have our four molds. Fingers crossed that they all work. Of course all of this happened on April Fools Day.

Monday we plan to do the last two sides then these will dry for a week or two depending on the temperature and humidity. I am looking forward to seeing if we did a good job or if they leak like crazy. Time will tell. Cheers, Wendy

Hi Friends, Yesterday we finished the last pieces of the mold for the decanter. We had bumps along the way but we made it through and now I have four molds done. In two weeks when they are dry I'll pour and see if they leak or do well. Here's our work day.

All we needed to do was make three more of the smallest piece on each end. Only 4 scoops of plaster.

Unfortunately to remove that small piece all four sides had to be removed. Then all the sections of clay that came loose had to be put back in place to hold the top that needed to be molded.

We poured the first one and it stuck and pulled the clay right out of the vase.

I got it all put back together to pour the next one but I had to redo the sculpture first.

Then on to the next one but it all pulled apart and the plaster stuck to one side. I didn't forget the mold soap but it stuck anyway. On this part I chiseled off the stuck plaster.

I used three layers of mold soap wiping it off between after that and didn't run into any problems. We did make four of this side just in case the damaged one wouldn't work.

Our work area in the garage.

When we finished that last side we carried every piece out to the kiln shed where it will be left to dry. I'll be bisque firing some Tiki Bobs soon and that will heat the shed to 80 degrees.

In a couple of weeks I should be able to pour each one and see if they work or not.

On the top shelf are wooden tikis started by my good friend Benzart. One day I will work on finishing them but right now they guard my shed.

Thank you for checking out our progress, Wendy

Wendy, That sure is one working retirement you and Dan have concocted. Mahalo for all your fine, hard work.

Wendy,

That is crazy...I cannot believe how hard you and Dan are working??

Less than 6 months left until the crawl...it will go by faster than we realize.

I spoke with Lauren at Swanberg's yesterday and he has agreed to host the 4:00 to 6:00 p.m. timeslot on Saturday, which means I just need to firm up times for Barbara along with Matt and Melody? We could probably use one more host for Saturday, so any of you willing to do so, please let me know.

Lauren also mentioned he is friends with the owner of "The Shack" and suggested we maybe think about this place for food on Friday night. The advantage of this is it is within (very close) walking distance to our Friday night stop Rugbymatt's house. They do not serve hard drinks, but Lauren thinks we could serve a "punch" along with the food for dinner. Any thoughts on this?

See you all soon,

PTD

Hi Duane, its work, very hard and sometimes I worry that the neighbors can hear me swearing. But if it works we do a lot of hand clapping too. Tonight I'm firing a load so the kiln shed will get up to 80 degrees. I'm hoping the decanter molds will dry out. They were still damp this morning. They are so heavy and thick. It will take both Dan and I to lift just one when we start pouring them. I just hope they work. As soon as we start I'll post more photos.

Looking forward to Forbidden Island and all my friends that can make it on a Thursday night. Cheers, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2011-04-15 21:17 ]

Yesterday we put mold number 1 together and poured in the slip. It had one tiny leak that I plugged with clay. This afternoon I'll see if I can open the mold.

It was a puzzle that I had to figure out.

Step by step to put it together.

Six pieces all together,

I had lots of clay ready for leaks and only needed one small piece.

Dan poured in the slip.

We let this one sit for one hour before pouring out the slip. Upside down it will sit until opened.

The Sacramento Crawl is less than 6 months away. The sign up list for this decanter is on page 27. Thanks everyone, Wendy

Did the mold for the decanter work? YES it's the best yet. Every part came out very nice. Here's what's up at my home. Cheers, Wendy

I made six of the Zombie mugs in a different fashion for eBay. Lots of hand work now the the one mold is almost history.

Did I sell them on eBay? NO as soon as they were done Dan bought them from me.

I do have the last one 50/50 to sell one day on eBay if I ever get to it.

Ok so here is mold number one opened up.
This mold weighs around 60 pounds. It takes us both to empty it out.

So yesterday I started putting the other three molds together to find that the pieces didn't all fit together well. So I carved the plaster until I'd gotten the best fit I could. Today we bought straps and poured in the slip. Now we are so busy that we will not open them until Saturday. I was very happy that there were only a few small leaks so I'm hoping for the best. Cheers, Wendy

It's a good thing we built the table to be very strong.

I really do help I just like to take the photos.

Well first we did the glug glug with the Tiki Crates and this time we did it with four decanters. This time we know how to fix it. I need to carve the openings into the molds as large as possible. We lost four and half a days work but in the end we will get it right. FI tonight! Wendy

The day has come for us to go forward with the production of the Tiki Bob Sacramento California decanter. It is larger than the Forbidden Island Tiki Crate but not by much. We have been working to over come problems with the sides caving in. First we bought a door hole drill and made the opening we pour slip through larger. That helped but not enough. So now we have bought turkey basters and we will try to remove enough slip before pouring to see if that helps. When you pour out the slip you must maintain and opening for air to move into the decanter. Sometimes we can't get that opening to form when we first begin to pour. So we will see if this helps us. Here are some photos. Wendy

Making a mess.

Cleaning up.

Some that are good some that will be seconds.

Nice and neat until later today it starts again.

Duane, I just read your post on my crafts thread. I'm just beaming ear to ear with all your comments. Thank you and all our Sacramento Ohana for the support and friendship. We just love you all. Really you make all the work worth it. We strive to do well so I can see each of you be happy with the Sacramento connection tiki ceramics. Our group just rocks. See ya all soon, Wendy and Dan

The turkey basters were the right idea but the ball didn't have enough strength to pull out the slip. So we bought a gasoline siphon and it worked great except for the times it came out of the jar and I pumped slip onto the floor or squirted it on Dan and I. In the end we had four decanters come out of the molds all fine, that was a first! Wendy

The pump.

The set up. As soon as I emptied the slip down to 1 inch Dan poured out the rest and then set the mold upside down to drain the rest.

We make a huge mess every time. So there are lots of bowls, screens, jugs, tubes, clothes and hands to wash after each pour session.

I love watching my man mop! Wendy

NO PHOTOS BUT DAN AND I HAVE MANAGED TO POUR 2 MORE DECANTERS. THE GAS SIPHON IS WORKING BEAUTIFULLY. THREE HANDS ARE WORKING TOGETHER AND ALL'S WELL. CHEERS, WENDY

Wendy,

Just when I thought I had seen it all, broken arm and all you still continue to defy my amazement!

Remember I want to bring my dad by in June to see you and Dan!

One more attempt to lure in one of our newbies to host in October...one more spot to fill on Saturday!

C'mon, one more brave soul? Time is a ticking...

What do I need to do to tempt you?

Let me know?!?

Pyscho Tiki D

THANK YOU DUANE. DAN MAKES IT ALL POSSIBLE.

TIKI BOB SACRAMENTO DECANTERS. I LOVE THIS SIPHON. LIKE THE ALMOND COMMERCIAL..ONE A DAY THAT'S ALL WE NEED. CHEERS, WENDY

Dan and Wendy,

You guys are real troopers. Mucho Mahalos!

Dan & Wendy...what an awesome team you make. The walking wounded still bringing the love of Tiki to the World!!!

How is the line up for the crawl looking Duane?

RUGBYMATT AND VAMPIRESSRN, IT WAS TERRIFIC TO SEE YOU BOTH LAST FRIDAY. WE OPEN THE MOLDS AGAIN THIS MORNING THAT WILL MEAN WE HAVE POURED 48 IF THEY COME OUT OK. OUR GOAL IS 50 FOR THE CRAWL AND 10 AS BACKUPS FOR DISASTERS OR SPECIALS DEPENDING ON HOW IT GOES. I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO PHYSICAL THERAPY AND GETTING MY HAND BACK. I SURE HOPE SANDY GETS WELL SOON AND THAT THE REST OF OUR GANG STAYS WELL. HUGS, WENDY

PS THE SIGN UP SHEET IS ON PAGE 27

HI FRIENDS, BY TOMORROW WE WILL HAVE POURED 60 OF THE DECANTERS. 50 FOR THE CRAWL AND 10 THAT WILL BE BACK UPS FOR DEFECTS OR SPECIALS IF I DON'T RUIN ANY. NEXT UP FACE MASKS AND SANDING. DAN IS NOW WELL FROM HIS INJURIES AND I'M ALLOWED TO LIFT UP TO 1 POUND SO I SHOULD BE ABLE TO SAND WITH EITHER HAND. I HAVE TO GET MOVING OR HAVE A FROZEN WRIST FOREVER. THIS REALLY IS NO PAIN NO GAIN. SO SANDING BEGINS THIS WEEKEND. CHEERS, WENDY

ON OUR TRIP TO OREGON WE FOUND THE MUG AT THE FAR LEFT. IT'S FROM LAKE GEORGE, NY. THAT SIZE IS NEW FOR US. WE HAVE A SALT AND PEPPER THAT IS EVEN SMALLER.

LAKE SHASTA WAS FULL TO THE TREE LINE.

RED BLUFF WAS VERY WINDY FOR WENDY.

NEAR MY SISTER'S HOME WE SAW A TREE FIRE BEING PUT OUT.

WE HAD FUN WITH FAMILY AND CAME HOME SAFELY.

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2011-06-23 18:21 ]

LOL...the wind-blown look is a good one for you Wendy. It's fire-season...scary.

Great work and think of the wonderful therapy it is providing for your wrist. Hope your pain is diminished and you are able to get better sleep too.

T

On 2010-12-08 22:46, danlovestikis wrote:
OFFICIAL ORDER PLACE FOR THE SACRAMENTO CRAWL TIKI BOB DECANTER. I'LL PLACE NAMES HERE AS I RECEIVE PM'S OR EMAILS.

I will take requests from anyone including those who can not make the crawl. Those who come to the crawl will have first dibs on the decanters. If there are any left those who did not attend will be contacted.

Like last year first come first serve each day of the crawl. So come at the start and pick up your special number. Last year 4 people wanted number 13.

Example: Tiki Mookie is number one but if they do not come the first day of the crawl and Brenda does then she can take the number one. This worked out fine last year. Thank you all for your support. Wendy

TIKI MOOKIE (1 DECANTER)
BRENDA'S TIKI HUT (2 DECANTER'S)
LELELIZ (1 DECANTER)
KeithH (1 DECANTER)
VampiressRN (1 DECANTER NUMBER 11)
Phycho Tiki D and Kevin (2 Decanter's)
RugbyMatt (1 Decanter #2, #5 or #25, the first numbers are spoken for if they show up)
wendylovestikis (1 Decanter reject for helping to make them)
danlovestikis (1 Decanter because I need one for my shed any left over number)
WSWahini (1 Decanter #13)
stevesoto (1 Decanter #5 or #12 RugbyMatt wants #5 also)
Aquatic Safarinaut (1 Decanter #21)
Ka'lenatiki (1 Decanter)
Corona Contessa (1 Decanter)
MaroneTiki (1 Decanter)
Choptop (1 Decanter)
Cathie W. (1 Decanter)
Levi Strange (1 Decanter)
Moai Nui (1 Decanter)
ebTiki (1 Decanter)
Tobor64 (1 Decanter)
Loki-Tiki (1 Decanter)
The Quin ( 1 Decanter)

THANK YOU TO EACH PERSON WHO ADDS TO THIS LIST, HUGS, WENDY

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2011-06-08 09:28 ]

Please put me down for one! Thanks!

GREGORY

Hi Gregory, I've added your request to page 27 just after adding The Quinn. Thank you, Wendy

Great! Can't wait to see . . .

I'm going to have to add Dan's initial to the bottom of these decanters.
D. + W. Cevola. He continues to be my hands.
He is now (under my watchful eyes) sanding every single one so we stay on schedule. He doing a great job. I'm LeaLea (joyful), Wendy

We are less than three months away from our annual event.

As I write this, we are in the final stages of planning and once we hammer out a few details, I will be starting a new thread specifically to address the schedule and activities planned so please stay tuned!

Thanks,

PTD

Whats this nonsense I keep hearing whispers of regarding charging people to attend the crawl????

It seems that :

1. if you can't afford to host due to the cost--then pass on hosting--there are plenty of homes in Sacramento area that will jump at the chance to be part of the event

2. No one is getting on a bus...we are driving to Sac ourselves, finding places to stay, paying for our own food (regardless of snacks offered at the different stops) so that seems like a lot of money for guests to attend to start with.

3. Wendy is making the decanter--which she will sell which makes sense...if someone wants to create custom glassware and sell THOSE then hey why not..but there should be no pressure to "buy this glass to drink". I saw pics where people were drinking out of plastic cups, the crawl mugs and in many cases the dozens of duplicate mugs hosts had.

The crawl is supposed to be "if you want to join then join, if you want to host then host"...not"you pay this to do this"

Sorry but that is taking the fun out of the event and is completely defeating the point of these type of events.

I know Duane puts alot of his time into this event--and has done so over the years--because we (liz and I) were down there not too long ago talking about the tiki events this year....so let it stay being run the way it has in the past.

Seems like last year was a blast. This isnt a fundraiser, this isnt a money maker...these are people willing to open their homes to perfect strangers for the fun of it -- not to get paid to do so.

Enough of this silly talk.
Please don't ruin the event with "pay to play" nonsense.

The size and scope of the event has grown and it is no longer "just the local ohana" so some adjustments may need to be made but nothing is in stone yet.

[i]On 2011-07-14 19:40, SandraDee wrote:[

I know Duane puts alot of his time into this event--and has done so over the years--because we (liz and I) were down there not too long ago talking about the tiki events this year....so let it stay being run the way it has in the past.

Seems like last year was a blast. This isnt a fundraiser, this isnt a money maker...these are people willing to open their homes to perfect strangers for the fun of it -- not to get paid to do so

I don't think anyone is complaining about the way Duane figures out the crawl. From what I have heard in person, not some "whispers" is that people wanted a mug for the crawl. People here in Sacramento who are hosting. That seemed way out of line, dollarwise, so people came up with the idea of doing a run of Royer glasses for the occasion...which would not be free. Those things are expensive!! I don't think it was ever decided by anyone that attendees had to buy a Royer glass in order to attend. I think it was going to be available for people to buy as a drinking vessel for the crawl at the same time as being a cool thing to add to their own collection at home...but not a forced purchase. Just available to those who were interested.

Yes, someone mentioned getting buses...I don't do buses well and I sure don't like the idea of having a busload of people showing up at my house...I think that was thrown out as a possibility so everyone could drink safely...I really can't recall who brought that up, but they likened the idea to that of using a bus at the SF crawl, but that was a BAR crawl, not people's houses...

I don't think anyone is trying to make money on the crawl...just trying to cover the expense of the Royer glasses.

OK..I lied..I want to make money selling my tiki shirts and crap. I bet Duane and Liz do too. But that is at the marketplace and everyone expects that and you buy if you want.

As far as opening up your house to stangers..yeah, that freaks me out. I did it last year. It concerns me due to the increase in crimes and burglaries in the Sacramento area due to the economy and lack of a large police force. I'm not saying that I distrust the tiki people...it's the random folks who might show up if, say, a poster for the crawl was seen in Swanberg's window (which was mentioned and I strongly oppose..)

I'd like it to stay 'Ohana...Sacramento 'Ohana, our friends from the tiki community from other areas, our non-tiki friends or relatives who are visiting or are slightly interested in tiki but don't get it yet. I don't want 150 people I don't know going through my house! But my tiki peeps? Yeah!

If this grows to be some big event that we are advertising, I won't host. I'll stay in it as long as it's our 'Ohana and friends, like it has been. This is not the venue for a full on tiki event. If we get a tiki bar here some day then we can have an "event" with a hotel, real vendors, etc. and people can have all the home parties they want during that event, but I sure as hell don't want a bus load of alohawear clad strangers pulling up in front of my house!

But I think we do need to talk about what we, as an 'Ohana, are going to do or not do for the crawl. Get Royer glasses or not? Try to get 150 people here or not?

I'd like to see it stay cozy like the last 2 years...

Just my opinion. Go ahead and fire away..

:drink:
Tacky

I've only recently seen the "tiki light" and am looking forward to participating in a Sacramento area tiki tour being from Lodi and meeting other Central Valley tikiphiles!

It will be fun...and no buses! Trust me, it will all work out!

Do you know any other tiki peeps? Will this be your first event?? You are only about 50 miles from us, so feel free to join us! Also, look for Sacramento Ohana on facebook..

Tacky (who doesn't ride on buses) Tiki

Hey Blue Kahuna in Lodi you are only 20 miles from us. We are in Elk Grove. If you are coming our way send us a PM. It would be nice to meet you.

We like the crawl to be people we know within our group or those we have gotten to know on-line. Friends and families welcome. We wouldn't host if a poster was put up at Swansburg and anyone could come and "case the joint". Keeping it though Tiki Central is so much safer for us all.

It's been perfect for years. Each home running their open house as they see fit. Example: we haven't ever provided alcohol and there haven't been any complaints. So if someone wants to sell at Duane's or their own home, sounds like fun to me.

We personally would like to see it stay the way if has been the last couple of years. Wendy and Dan

PS Duane why another thread we are about to pass the 50,000 mark

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2011-07-15 20:03 ]

I can now work clay and carve as tolerated. So first we found a mold for Christmas Ornaments on eBay. I am going to see if I can alter them into a flame for the stopper of the decanter. We poured the first one today. I sure hope it will work.

I have fine tuned and carved the volcanoes on 2 decanters. It feels so good to be able to work again even if its slow going. Be Happy Dear Friends. See you at Matt's on the 18th? Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2011-07-31 13:33 ]

Thanks! Got a pm invite to the August Sacramento tiki meet up and believe that I'll be able to make it, so looking forward to meeting everyone and introducing myself! I will be at Tiki Oasis, and am really looking forward to it in the extreme. Will actually be my first vacation in about four or five years!

Just as an aside, my first tiki experience was at the Islander in Stockton as a very young boy, I went with my Mom one afternoon to "save" my uncle from having to talk to somebody at the bar, all I remember was walking into the lobby and it was bright as blazes outside and pitch black when we hit the door, my eyes never adjusted enough to see anything, and then we were gone (uncle in tow!)! But I always remember the tiki torches outside the entrance and then the move to Pollardville (where I had several birthdays at the Ghost Town).

Sorry, just a little stroll down amnesia lane . . .

Ah,,,good to hear that you got the pm'd invite...I should have thought of that, but one of my cohorts did...it would be great to meet you before the crawl...

I'm hoping we keep it simple at the crawl...which means there will be a schedule of when each home is open and where...you show up, have the drink offered...whether it's coffee and O.J. at the start of the day or Painkillers later on...have some snacks and check out the tiki collection and/or tiki lanai. Get to know other tiki peeps. At some point there is usually a marketplace on Saturday...just tiki peeps selling stuff...mugs, shirts, Treasure Craft, LPs, etc. We have had a crazy tiki white elephant thing in the past...always fun.

It has always been 'Ohana and friends...nothing major. I hope it stays like that. I won't host if it gets to be a big event. My house and yard aren't huge, but I'd like people come over...

Looking forward to seeing you at the next Tiki Tuesday!

Tacky

I appreciate the perspective of those who will be attending. The "whispers" that have circulated are all just ideas that have yet to be hammered out among the hosts. There is no need to panic. The idea of the original registration fee was to cover the costs of some swag but also to get a commitment from the attendees. No one ever suggested this event be profitable.

As one of the hosts from last year I can say that it was tons of fun and I'm very excited to be doing it again this year. I love the idea of inspiring newbies to embrace the Tiki lifestyle by showcasing our Tiki rooms and collections. It's wonderful meeting people who post here and finally put a face to a board name. But I agree with Tacky Tiki that inviting total strangers into my home is a little intimidating, a lot of trust is required. I like the registration idea as people would have to provide some information before stepping foot into our homes. The fact is that we have gained some notoriety, with that comes exposure. That may mean that we have to take a little more care than in the past.

One of the unknown factors is what kind of response we will get. I have to assume that it will be bigger than last year. What if 50 people want to attend? The comment about "if you can't afford to host then don't host" is a little unfair. We don't all have large amounts of disposable income and with the economy the way it is... Providing food and drink for 50 people could end up being 2-3 hundred dollars per host. I would like to suggest that it be acceptable for the hosts to put out a donation jar. It can then be strictly voluntary for attendees to chip in a little to help defray costs. Some of us purchased glasses with our logos to sell at the event. A small profit on those will help with the costs of hosting. Not everyone has that option so each host should decide what is right for them but should not be judged if they provide the opportunity for attendees to show a little aloha spirit. Another option is for local Ohana to offer to co-host. This option would be helpful on all levels, shop, prep, cleanup and share of costs.
The reality is, the larger an event becomes the more complicated, expensive and risky it is to put on and keep the Ohana spirit as it was originally intended. Knowing all the hosts personally I am certain that every detail will be ironed out in the planning meetings to make this one of the best events ever.

Mahalo and Aloha,

Darilyn
Hostess of the Kohana Wahine Lounge and Swim-in Theater :)

M

On 2011-07-15 19:34, danlovestikis wrote:

PS Duane why another thread we are about to pass the 50,000 mark

Yes, DLT, I have never been a fan of recycle threads. The Title Specifies 2011 and the first thing you see if the schedule for 2010. You then have to go through 25 or whatever pages (which I didn't) to see if even the dates are listed. This event needs a new 2011 (only) thread. It just makes things easier for those who want to attend. My opinion.

Hi mrsmiley, that can be fixed by adding to the title. 2011 crawl page 27. Cheers, Wendy

We passed the 50,000 views for our thread!!!

We had a wonderful meeting/party at Matt's who has his home beautifully tikified. There was a good turnout and the issues were resolved. We are on our way to another terrific tiki crawl in October.

After I broke my arm he's been more than just my right hand. So I've added his initial to the bottom of each decanter.

Here he is blowing off the dust with an air compressor before the bisque fire.

Here are the decanters that we just fired and removed from the kiln this morning.

Once again I've taken over the kitchen nook for glazing.

Tonight I have another load in the kiln. I can fire 16 during the bisque fire because they can touch. I don't know how many will fit when they need to be apart.

Thanks for checking this out. Wendy and Dan

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2011-07-31 13:32 ]

This is just so awesome to watch the "play-by-play" as these decanters are "born". Can't wait to see the finished product! Thank you!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 608 replies