Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Sacramento Capital Tiki Bar/Living Space Tour October 7th, 8th & 9th, 2011-Registration Full

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 608 replies

Wow Vamp, that is just awesome! This is going to be an amazing crawl.

Darilyn

This is Bullet aka Kingstiedye.

This is a good friend of Bullets named Mike. 20 years ago he was a master mold maker. As a favor to Bullet he has agreed to come out of retirement long enough to make the mold for the Crawl. Today we drove to Wheatland to drop off the mug. He has also kindly offered to teach me how to make molds because he's not going to make more in the future. I wish he lived on my block! Wendy

Another step forward...

wow, seeing wendy and cloud (old nickname) together is a trip! two of the nicest, happiest people i've ever known. i'm a little slow getting in, but i'm up for hosting.
and thanks for posting such a dumb pic of me, sistah. :)

bangin' my slit gong drum until the cops come!

[ Edited by: kingstiedye 2010-06-13 00:20 ]

You are looking very happy too. I love that photo bro, you are even in TieDye. Hosting is a blast ask Duane if it's still 2 hours per stop. Is this photo better??? Your collection is a must to see! Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2010-06-13 08:14 ]

Will there be a jungle room tour this year?

Hi Brenda, I think that we will host. Duane will figure out a schedule. If there is space for us we would love to. Or maybe the daytime stops could be 1.5 hours each. I think that LiddleLola will host if her room is done. Good to hear from you, Wendy

S

Hey Wendy, that mug is going to look great. Its good to see you having a go at doing it all yourself and also posting the step-by-step pics. I'm looking forward to seeing the progress you make and also the outcome. It's a shame I can't make it to the event. It would be nice to meet you.

Well Swizzle I guess Dan and I will have to visit Australia! Thank you for the encouragement. Cheers, Wendy

Great pics Dan and Wendy , thanks for sharing .

Aloha,

BRAND SPANKING NEW to Tiki Central, and I can't wait to start exploring. I noticed the "events" area and clicked on it and noticed this thread about a Tiki Crawl right here where I live in Sacramento. I'd LOVE to get in on this bit o' awesomeness...but I've not seen any sorta official info. How would I get on a mailing list, or something like that so I may attend in Oct? Any info would be most appreciated! Thanks! -Colby

On 2010-06-13 22:39, coalbeecheese wrote:
Aloha,

BRAND SPANKING NEW to Tiki Central, and I can't wait to start exploring. I noticed the "events" area and clicked on it and noticed this thread about a Tiki Crawl right here where I live in Sacramento. I'd LOVE to get in on this bit o' awesomeness...but I've not seen any sorta official info. How would I get on a mailing list, or something like that so I may attend in Oct? Any info would be most appreciated! Thanks! -Colby

Colby, (and others),

Once we firm up who is hosting, we will post the first stop and address via PM to any and all interested in attending. As far as offical info, you will find everything you need right here in this thread.

So far it looks like tenative hosts will be:

Psycho Tiki D

VampiressRN

Brenda's Tiki Hut

Liddlelola

Chief Bartender

But there is room for more! Last year, we did two-three hour stints at each location, but we can always shorten/lengthen the stops and add as many as are willing to participate.

Wendy,

Great news on the mug and thank you to Mike/Cloud for coming out of retirement to assist Wendy with the mold. Needless to say, this is a proud day for the Sacramento Ohana!

Less than four months away!

PTD

Wow Wendy, great mug and awesome design. That is one of my favorite vintage matchbook covers. Hope the mold making process goes well. Its a bit tedious, but nothing you can't conquer!

Thanks Tony, I'll do my best to make it happen. I know it's a lot of work but in the end it will be so worth it. Dan and I have strong family ties to the Zombie Hut. My grandpa took my family there for Thanksgiving. Dan and I dated there. After dinner and the Polynesian show we would dance. It was such a special place. They never had any ceramics for sale so this will be a first. See you at Oasis, Wendy

i'm stoked about this mug! i went to the zombie hut a few times when i was a kid and once danced with the hula dancer. the only thing i've come across from there is a matchbook, which has a place of honor in my crazy al curiosity cabinet. it's a shame they never had signature mugs. the only sacramento mug i have is a tiki bob.

Aloha Mates!

Duane, yes we would love to host again. We're putting the finishing touches on the firepit in the back yard so we were hoping to be an evening stop this year, for ambiance, and then we can drink more, ha!

Love the mug, can't wait to display one on the shelf :)

Let us know! We're really looking forward to it!

Mookie & Matt the Cat

Looking forward to seeing your backyard paradise!!!

Super news...Mike said the mold is five pieces and he has done two this weekend. This mug is such a group project.

1. Duane comes up with the idea.
  2. I did the sculpt.
  3. Bullet supplies a master mold maker.
  4. Mike starts the mold.

Meanwhile I've been reading books on how to do slip casting, how to fire using a kiln, glazing, the whole thing.

Babalu says he'll talk me through it.

Oh I forgot to mention we bought a kiln that will be delivered in a couple of weeks. I'm going to learn this step by step. No more Sculpey now it's the real deal.

Cheers, Wendy

I will be ready with brush in hand to start helping with the painting (I think you will need help with the cold paint)?

Can't wait to see this! Wendy, you are the greatest. Not only here, but in the other threads too!

PTD

I am soooooo proud of you Wendy. This was really meant to be for you...now you can really swing out with all your great designs. YOU GO GIRL!!!

Awesome Wendy .

T

Mel and myself would love to participate in this event. We will gradly drive up for the weekend and hang out with old friends and meet new friends - of course!

PTD, Vamp, Surf and Tiki G

Thank you all for the encouragement it's better than chocolate.

PTD if you would like to paint your own or more, that would be fun. Cold paint will be fast compared to the rest of the steps.

Tiki G, come on up! Who is Mel?

Vamp we could have a play day and make a 1/1 RN mug for your collection.

Surf, I hope you can make it to the crawl, it would make your parents and the rest of us happy!

That sounds awesome Wendy. I had a sketch one time of an RN mug...so will have to pull it out of my memory for when you have some time way in the future...LOL.

So here we are with the updated list of potential hosts:

Psycho Tiki D

VampiressRN

Brenda's Tiki Hut

Liddlelola

Chief Bartender

TikiMookie and Matt the Cat

kingstiedye

danlovestikis (tenative)

It might be necessary to start the event on Friday evening. We will know more as the date gets closer.

C'mon Sacramento, anyone else brave enough to host??

PTD

T

Wendy - Thanks for the invite!

BTW - Mel is my roomate here in Palmdale, CA. Her TC name is "Melekalikimaka".

Can't wait for October...G

On 2010-06-28 05:53, Psycho Tiki D wrote:
So here we are with the updated list of potential hosts:

danlovestikis (tenative)

Tenative? What's a Sacramento Crawl with its first ever mug without a visit to the Jungle Room? That place is a Sacramento Tiki Mecca!

We are the backup in case someone can't do it at the last minute. Then we fill in their spot, just like last year. Or we could not worry about that and just be on the list. We are up for either. Thank you for the comment Chief Bartender! Wendy

I for one would like to see the rumored paradise that is your home. So please add your selves to the list so I don't have to wonder if I get to see where the tiki Gods go on vacation. I'm sure that I'm not the only one that has that opinion.

Eric is that you? That's the second arm twist. It takes three! Wendy

T
TikiG posted on Fri, Jul 2, 2010 9:57 AM

ttttwwwiiiiiiisssSSTTT - hope this does it! Thanks Wendy!

Yes Wendy it's Eric.

I hope that everyone who wants to see your Jungle Room will chime in and gentilly "twist your arm" not just the three of us.

[ Edited by: Savage Tiki 2010-07-02 16:57 ]

I always want to see their jungle room. I would like to live there actually. A true jungle retreat without the spiders, bugs and slugs.

That's a fourth twist. We better stop or her arm won't be able to make those mugs.

Darilyn

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I agree wendy, I know that the pics posted here on tc can not due it justice! I showed the pics to my wife and the repy was a suprised "WOW"

Guess what, I just got an email today that the mold is finished. Now we have to figure out when we can pick it up in far off Wheatland. Mike will teach me how to take it apart and put it back together. Its a five piece mold, complicated.

Soon I'll be working on the mugs.

OK twisted enough, Duane we are on the list. We would like the earliest in the day spot possible that still makes the crawl work. The jungle is dark even in the morning! Cheers, Wendy

Here's a preview of one corner of the room.

Back again. Mike finished the mold for the Crawl mug and poured one. It looks like he was able to keep all the detail. He's a master. This weekend I'll get out to Wheatland for a visit and to pick up the mold so I can start pouring more. There's lots to do before October is here. Cheers, Wendy

Looks great Wendy! How exciting!!! :)

Ooooh...you will have to drive HWY 65 Wendy, I might have to hijack you on your way back home to get a gander at that mug...LOL. Have a great weekend...you must be so excited!!!

Wendy,
Can you explain why the mug is smaller than the model?

I can almost taste the tiki drinks now... Oh, wait, that's because I have one but not in that mug which can only improve the drinks tiki tilt. Can hardly wait.

[ Edited by: Savage Tiki 2010-07-09 19:53 ]

Hi Vamp, when we drove to his home the first time we were talking about you and how close we were. That was back when this pneumonia was new. Now I'm on the way to getting well. See you soon, hugs, Wendy

Hi Eric, the original is molded with plaster so the mold is the exact size of what I made. Slip is poured into the mold. The plaster pulls moisture out of the clay. As the clay dries it pulls its self loose from the sides of the mold. So it has shrunk. An original must always be made 10% to 20% larger than how you want the final item to be. It must be dried completely before it is fired for the first time or it will explode in the kiln. Even though it is dry it may shrink more when bisked. The last step is to glaze it. It's still a large mug.

If you look at the mug I just made with Babalu (under crafts) I posted a photo
of Mike R. holding the vintage mug I based mine on in one hand and the mug I made in his other. When my mug is done it will be closer in size to the original.

See you in October, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2010-07-09 20:49 ]

Update as of today! We picked up the mold from Mike yesterday. This morning I got out everything I would need to filter the slip and pour it into the mold. Then I waited 45 minutes. Next I drained the mold. Four hours later I took the mold apart and cleaned up the still damp mug. I removed excess clay from the rim and smoothed down the seams with wet fingers. This is the first time I've ever done this and it's a lot of work. Clean up every thing after you use it or the slip will harden on it. The mold is out drying, every day or two I will try to repeat this process. Mike had poured and cleaned two to test the mold so three down ? to go. Wendy

Holy cow...what an amazing job and your talent shines through even more (if that is possible)? How many do you cast before you fire them?

Good question on how many? You may want to start a thread so you know. BTW, please put me down for at least two!

Will you be at Vamp's July party? See ya soon!

PTD

Looks great Wendy, I had no doubt you could do it :D

On 2010-07-11 16:56, Psycho Tiki D wrote:
Holy cow...what an amazing job and your talent shines through even more (if that is possible)? How many do you cast before you fire them?

Good question on how many? You may want to start a thread so you know. BTW, please put me down for at least two!

Will you be at Vamp's July party? See ya soon!

PTD

Was thinking the same thing. what colors are you thinking of wendy?

T
TikiG posted on Mon, Jul 12, 2010 8:42 AM

Beautiful so far, Wendy - Thanks for the progress posts. G

G
GROG posted on Mon, Jul 12, 2010 9:12 AM

If you do several pours in a day, be sure and put your mold out in the sun between pours. The drier your mold is between pours, the longer it will last. Looking good. Good luck.

Due to the number of participants hosting in this year's event, we are going to add a special "Friday" October 8th evening stop at TikiMookie and Matt the Cat's home. They are requesting an evening slot to unveil their new firepit area in their backyard.

More details to follow!

Could this get any better??

PTD

I really appreciate all the time you are putting into this thread. Not only for creating the mug but showing all of your TC peeps how it's done.

No wonder they are so expensive.

Matt here! the mug is OUTSTANDING! we can help out on painting if you wish. let us know. we both would jump at the chance. we'll take two also.

see you all at Vamps.

thnx

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 608 replies