Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Don the Beachcomber

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 601 replies

C
cy posted on Sun, Jul 6, 2014 8:49 AM

Giraffe Bone is killer Mike, nice work!

Jennifer of Don The Beachcomber smootchs up to the latest. He's somewhere between Ape and Devil and turned out pretty well.

Progress on the Giraffe Bone. Toes and leggins coming in. Tedious work requiring patience.

On 2014-07-06 08:49, cy wrote:
Giraffe Bone is killer Mike, nice work!

Thank you for the compliment! It is a really tedious work and requires care. Also finding out whether different areas of the bone will carve or not is a challenge. I'll post with progress.

Inching along with progress on the Big Bone.

Hard to see the small details as yet. Working on it when I have time and things are busy right now!

Meet Jaquelin

Just another good reason to hang out at our beaches. She stopped in and spent some time with me this morning and came back by on her way back in the afternoon. Generously agreeing to pose with the Giraffe Bone guy in progress.

The biz has perks, beautiful women are one of them!

You cad!

On 2014-08-17 21:15, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
You cad!

If the shoe fits, I have to wear it!

The problem is the majority want to take a Tiki home, and leave me there. What a drag!

By the way, she is 29 years old, doesn't look it at all does she?

All this and Jennifer Too!

The Giraffe bone is nearly finished. Applying Kola Nut stain and refining those little things that I can as it prepares for his new Parents. He is already sold.

WC

Your bones are lookin better & better.
Nice job.

C

Nice new carve Sunset, where in the heck do you find a giraffe bone?

A Giraffe, Grab while he's not looking and run!

(smirk, snicker)

You can order them on line. A company called "Atlantic Coral" is where I obtained that one. They sell a great variety of legal exotic bones, Ivory (Legal, Hippopotamus Ivory) and warthog tusk, etc.

Giraffe Bones are very indemand by custom knife makers for handles and such.

On 2014-09-09 05:02, Will carve wrote:
Your bones are lookin better & better.
Nice job

Better and Better, But Jennifer brings it out!

Mahalo for Compliment

Keep the Faith

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2014-09-16 20:32 ]

I can hear Roy Orbison singing. "It's Over"

An Excellant price, Sold. Purchaser called it a "Masterpiece"

work like this is a little like an affair. After it's over you wish it could have gone on just a little longer or taken it just a little farther than you had. And you're just a little sad while waiting for the next one

Sculpture
African Maori Man
Completely Hand Carved by
OLD FASHIONED METHOD
(No Machinery}
Size: 29 inches
Material: Giraffe Bone
(Cannon Foreleg, Giraffa camelopardalis)
Features:
• Feathered Royal Island Headress and beast plates (Maori, Maquesian, African)
• Maori Warrior Expression w/ African Influenced Facial features
• African/ Island Dancers leggings
• Tribal Loin cloth
Colors:
• Natural Bone
• Kola Nut (Nigerian)
• Golden Mahogany (Eyes)
Engraved Scrimshaw signature
• “ McCarty” (Sunset Mike)
“ DBT” (Don the Beachcomber,2014

This Sculpture has been carved from a single Giraffe bone by “Hand Method”. The Bone being African gave an inspiration for a Marriage of “Island” and “African” origins in this work. He carries features of both Maori and South African Character that are common to both cultures. The clothing and headdress are used in both regions as are the leggings and breastplates, The face is of a traditional Maori Style with “Afrikanesque” features and the piercing Proud stare of the Maori Warrior. He carries the styles observed in sculptures representing Kings, Holy Men, Warriors and Shamans of Both cultures.
I

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2014-09-16 20:34 ]

T

Oh man, that one's really nice! No wonder you are sad to see it go. Never would have thought of giraffe bone... So I see you applied some stain with a syringe?

On 2014-09-17 10:09, TheBigT wrote:
Oh man, that one's really nice! No wonder you are sad to see it go. Never would have thought of giraffe bone... So I see you applied some stain with a syringe?

Zacatakally! The syringes are a special variety used in scientific analysis made of Borosilicate Glass and stainless steel. Re-usable, sanitizable and will interchange multiple gage needles. I use them a lot in Chef Art and they come in handy here too!

I normally get to keep a high priced, high effort work for a while and enjoy it at home as mine. This one went before he was finished. I quoted a price, she said "OK" . It's little hard to say goodbye, but I am in the Happiness business. My Bone Boy made me happy to create him somebody very happy to have him.

Win-Win Success!

Getting to work on the more affordable works. This a root from a yet unidentified ornamental tree. Very wet when obtained. it is cracking substantially, but this never stops a Tiki Artist who will find the best in it if it truly exists.

Tree is identified. It is none other than "Ficus Elastica" better known as a "Rubber'tree. ( Not to be confused with SouthAmerican Para Rubber tree which is our source of raw rubber. This is a Southern Asian variety and latex render as well.)

It's the one growing in the corner of the parking lot at Don the Beachcomber. They trimmed up the stray roots and I grabbed one because it had an interesting shape. Seeing how a different material or species will work is half the fun!

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2014-10-05 22:10 ]

mg]https://tikicentral.com/uploads/10916/54279408.jpg[/img]

Back at it!
This is the Rubber Tree root coming along. He is going to have the City Of Refuge Honolulu look with the oversized headdress. It's coming along well and will need to be mounted on a stand.

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2014-09-27 21:55 ]

Rubber tree Root has the seal of approval and can be Baptised as useable;

In That it is attractive and easy to work. It's not really good for fine detail but makes for a nice, interesting smaller pieces.

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2014-09-28 20:25 ]

H

I like your work. I have seen a few of your pieces in person, your attention to detail is amazing and your pieces are very nice.

On 2014-09-28 20:59, hiltiki wrote:
I like your work. I have seen a few of your pieces in person, your attention to detail is amazing and your pieces are very nice.

Thank you Hiltiki! You're making me blush.

The piece is very nearly done. The stand needed to be evened up and the addition of Molten lead weight into the Sycamore branch for proper balance in the pedestal. Sometimes people cringe at the prices, but detail takes time and effort and is worth it in the long run. Especially with 'One of a kind', hand made Artworks that will be loved for a lifetime!

Mahalo! Make yourself known next time you come by!

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2014-10-02 19:53 ]

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2014-10-02 19:54 ]

Lemon Gum Eucalyptus from a Garden in Brentwood.
I've worked with it in the past. Hard, heavy, a definite test of tools, strength and patience. But always seems to turn out well!

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2014-10-05 22:05 ]

T

On 2014-10-05 22:03, Sunset Mike wrote:

I've worked with it in the past. Hard, heavy, a definite test of tools, strength and patience. But always seems to turn out well!

Not to mention a test of the wrist, elbow, and shoulder! :lol:

On 2014-10-06 07:36, TheBigT wrote:

On 2014-10-05 22:03, Sunset Mike wrote:

Not to mention a test of the wrist, elbow, and shoulder! :lol:

Yes, HA-HA-HA :wink:

The Hula Girls Love my latest guy. Of course I'd rather look at them. Judy Luck and Niva Moore completely overshadow my work with thier, well, everything! But when you're done looking them over check out the Tiki Guy in between them.

Material:Lemon Gum wood
Style: Marquesian featured
Symbols:Gecko(spirit world connection)
Color: Deep Golden Mohogany
Finish: Marine Varnish
Method: Old Fashioned, no artificially powered machinery
Signiture: Sunset Mike (engraved)

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2014-11-16 20:20 ]

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2014-11-16 20:42 ]

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2014-11-16 20:45 ]

Grass skirted Eye Candy, Judy Luck and Niva Moore! Ok, then there's the other Shenanigans with Sunset Mike, Atomic Tiki Punk, Keko Head and some of the other gang. What of it? we Love the Hula Girls and like dressing like wierdos and behaving like we never grew up. Nyaa, Nyaa, Nanny-Nanny Boo-Boo if you don't like it.

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2014-11-16 20:24 ]

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2014-11-16 20:30 ]

Another fun night at Dons, Mike!

On 2014-11-16 23:01, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Another fun night at Dons, Mike!

Always is Lance!

The Ku inspired Queen Palm getting a finish. This one had too many defects in the tree to bother with scrupulous detail on the lower portion. Such is the nature of it. He will go for reasonable price and somebody will take him home and love him.

Getting back to works on the watusi steer bone. Here is an experiment with a masked figure. It is awaiting stain, scrimshaw and additional polishing.

New Years Eve 2014 at Don the Beachcomber. Judy Luck and Audrey showing off their stuff ( oh yeah!)and My completed Watusi steer Bone Guy. The Band Leader give me his big grin. Twas quite an event!

Keep the Faith

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2015-01-01 19:46 ]

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2015-01-01 19:47 ]

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2015-01-01 19:47 ]

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2015-01-05 19:27 ]

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2015-01-25 20:15 ]

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2015-01-25 20:17 ]

Yes guys, This is the real Live Medusirena Posing with my Mermaid. It's quite an honor to meet her in person and watch her amazing permance along with the Tikiyaki Orchestra. On top of that she posed for me!

Keep the Faith

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2015-01-25 20:16 ]

Indian Laurel Mounted on a branch section pedestal. A simple work that got a little more involved than I intended. Turned out OK though. Toothy, tunger, reptilian eyes, torch highlighting, marine varnish.

Finally getting to the Manzanita given to me by a visitor (thanks Norma Jean!)

The wood is really beautiful stuff. The carving is kept simple in these works. The toothy guy has Golden Mahogany stain and teak oil finish. His first day on display, A woman from international tiki market place fell in love with him on the spot and adopted him!
The prayer guy has the same color and finish. He is a twisted branch and is mounted on a section of Indian Laurelwood. He is in the curing process now. Gorgeous texture this wood.I'll be using Manzanita when I can get it.

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2015-01-25 20:06 ]

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2015-01-25 20:10 ]

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2015-01-25 20:12 ]

Sitting in the Summer like heat of a holiday weekend my gaze drifts to the Sunshine and shadows bringing out the womanly features of my Mermaid. A cute little butt she has and nice Breasts as well. If I can Lust for a work of my own hands I must have done a good job. Oh, that I could make a real one of my very own!

Enjoy the view guys, (4 photos)

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2015-02-18 20:36 ]

I didn't think it was so cold there.

N

Amazing!!!

On 2015-02-19 06:09, nicework wrote:
Amazing!!!
Mahalo for the compliment Brah!

Using up Norma Jeans Manzanita. Amy compliments my stuff with her own. (No comparison of course)

The grotesque nature of this wood calls for being adaptable and able to see what could be happening rather than try and make it happen. Get it to dance with you. Move with it!

N

Nice!!

On 2015-02-23 18:49, nicework wrote:
Nice!!
Oh Yeah! Tiki isn't bad either.
/quote]

T

On 2015-02-23 18:22, Sunset Mike wrote:

Using up Norma Jeans Manzanita. Amy compliments my stuff with her own. (No comparison of course)

The grotesque nature of this wood calls for being adaptable and able to see what could be happening rather than try and make it happen. Get it to dance with you. Move with it!

Need to change your handle to Magic Mike! your work charms the women like none others!

On 2015-03-03 20:05, TheBigT wrote:

On 2015-02-23 18:22, Sunset Mike wrote:

Need to change your handle to Magic Mike! your work charms the women like none others!

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2015-03-08 22:31 ]

Thanks for that one Brah! Yeah the Wahines like Tikis and I like Wahines so it's a pretty good deal all around.

Keep the Faith

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2015-03-08 22:32 ]

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2015-03-08 22:37 ]

Dances with with Manzanita.It is very close to that. Move with it, not against it.

This guy is 12 inches, Maori influnced. Has torch highliting, scrimshaw style face markings
He is awaiting finish at the time of the image. He has his teak oil and is curing out.

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2015-03-13 20:46 ]

Finally the little Manzanita Maori is finished and cured. Tricia of Don The Beachcomber is doing the Honors of gracing my work with her looks.

He has the Maori influenced facial markings along wood features blended in for effect.
Teak oil finish, torch highlighting and natural colors. I've gotten some very nice compliments on him thus far

N

your miniture sculptures show your skill in carving so much more difficult to do! thank you for posting

[ Edited by: nicework 2015-03-15 21:04 ]

On 2015-03-15 21:03, nicework wrote:
your miniture sculptures show your skill in carving so much more difficult to do! thank you for posting

[ Edited by: nicework 2015-03-15 21:

Nice to be appreciated! Most folks can't comprehend that a small work can take more effort than large one. Easier to move around though..., Thanks for the Compliment Brah!

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2015-03-24 21:48 ]

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2015-03-24 21:55 ]

Olive wood is not a traditional Tiki wood, but that won't stop me! It's beautiful stuff and has been used for Milleniums in Fine Art. Here is a very grotesque, Gnarled, twisted and Knotty branch section in which lies a Tiki. This is a dance. Move with it, not against it. You lead, if it leads, let it. Listen to it, coax it, don't force it. Sometimes these works turn out better than I expected..... Sometimes not.

We'll see hmmm?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 601 replies