Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Don the Beachcomber

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 601 replies

Progression on the Olive Branch. This section is about 4 feet long. Hard, difficult to work,strong self willed and it may be some of the most gorgeous stuff I have ever had the challenge of working. I'm really anxious to see the wood smoothed and polished. patience, patience.

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2015-03-29 20:44 ]

Back at it making a little progress. This one has the enthusiasm kickin up. The woods natural beauty is wonderful. There are some tricky spots I have to dance around. An onlooker stops to give me a pose.

Hope everyone out there has a great Easter Weekend!

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2015-04-04 18:25 ]

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2015-04-04 18:26 ]

N

thank you

A little hard to see today's progress. We're getting into the refining, sanding, smoothing, and finishing touches stage that I call the fun part. This is hard wood and requires a strength and mostly patience. I think it is turning out well, though!

T

Wow mike, really neat to see how you brought that image out of the log you started with! very nice.

On 2015-04-13 12:00, TheBigT wrote:
Wow mike, really neat to see how you brought that image out of the log you started with! very nice.

Thanks Bro!

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2015-04-13 18:25 ]

The Fun part. Somewhat,

Excersizing patience as I refine various areas and prepare for finishing. Still lot's to do. It's nice looking stuff this Olive Wood.

Keep the Faith

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2015-04-13 18:29 ]

The mounting process. I do use an Electric angle grinder to smooth out the mounting surfaces. The rest is all old fashioned method. Hand operated drill with spade bit, plum bob with adjustable stand, level, log saw, polished granite leveling surface and pencils for mark and match. Even with machine it is not easy. I'm getting better at it.

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2015-05-03 15:55 ]

He can stand on his own two feet! At least with the help of the pedestal. The pedestal is an Olive Wood root burl which is appropriate. This guy has the informal name "Ollie"at least until his adopted parents give him a name.

"Menehune Koa" is the closest translation for "Ollie" in Hawaiian. According to the name meaning (Oliver, Elf warrior). "Oliwa la'au" could also work. meaning "Olive wood"

Keep the Faith

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2015-04-21 00:42 ]

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2015-04-21 00:44 ]

C
cy posted on Tue, Apr 21, 2015 8:04 AM

Very cool olive sculpture SM, but a plum bob?

And HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERE"S Jenny!

Hard to see the progress at this stage. The signature is in and includes the "DTB" for 'Don The Beachcomber' Tis a definate plus for a hand made Artwork born in a location that helped make California Tiki Culture, much less the place that gave birth to West Coast Tiki. How lucky am I!

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2015-04-25 20:49 ]

On 2015-04-21 08:04, cy wrote:
Very cool olive sculpture SM, but a plum bob?

Yes! The Plum Bob is used for the same purpose a bricklayer would use it. There are very few level spaces in the parking lot of Don the Beachcomber. The sculpture and mounting peg is lined up with Bob line against the lateral level line. It can get intricate and shows me straight up and down really are.

Keep the Faith

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2015-04-25 20:48 ]

T

Well, i have to admit to putting a level against some of mine from time to time. And I actually do have a plumbob!

The finishing. Teak oil was decided upon, and a good choice it was. The color of this wood is amazing! All I can take credit for is the shape which was a matter of finding it inside this gnarled branch. This is the Honeymoon phaze. Show it off, get some pats on the back, sometimes just sit and look at it and remember when it was fireplace fodder. Move on to the next one. That's what we do.

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2015-04-26 23:01 ]

A
amate posted on Mon, Apr 27, 2015 3:17 AM

Very nice Mike! A gorgeous piece of wood and I really like the posture you gave this guy.

N

nice!

Mike - you are a great talent and it's nice to know somebody still puts such soul into their art. One day I hope to own something as striking as your Tikis. I just can't imagine what it must be like to drive past and see somebody carefully creating a Tiki on the side of the road. Good on you!

On 2015-04-29 06:28, johnnyvelvet wrote:
Mike - you are a great talent and it's nice to know somebody still puts such soul into their art. One day I hope to own something as striking as your Tikis. I just can't imagine what it must be like to drive past and see somebody carefully creating a Tiki on the side of the road. Good on you!

Yo Johnny Velvet! Thanks for the compliments. Come by and say hi if you're a local.

If you want one of mine go here

https://www.facebook.com/SunsetTikiWorks?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

E-mail, phone. I'm sure we can find something you can afford and I can ship.

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2015-04-29 22:20 ]

amate, Nicework & johnnyvelvet

Thanks for your compliments, means a lot!

Keep the Faith

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2015-05-01 11:33 ]

On 2015-04-26 06:40, TheBigT wrote:
Well, i have to admit to putting a level against some of mine from time to time. And I actually do have a plumbob!

Hey Big T,

Plum-bobs work Man! The level needs to be held or balanced the plum bob is on its own and can cover the entire area from top to bottom. I'm sure there is a computer out there that'll do it, but I'm fine with St Josephs Method!

Of course, the Sunset Mike Signature. The "DTB" stands for Don The Beachcomber where he was conceived and born. Works that have a story and a Heritage!

Finally the Docier on this work.

Born at Don the Beachcomber, in the former "Sams Seafood" of the late Fifties "Tiki" period he has a heritage that is worthy of a coat of arms. May he bring happiness with him wherever he goes for as long as he exists.

Keep the Faith

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2015-05-01 21:52 ]

Deliah, Owner of Don the Beachcomber. First time I have ever asked her to pose. This is inside the hidden village area in front of the fountain. I might have to get another image with the fountain going. It looks appropriate there. More than one person has called it a "She" I hadn't thought about what sex it might be; but that means the beholder can decide for themselves.

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2015-05-01 21:53 ]

Using the "Blackened Approach" on something besides fish. This is a very blotchy piece of branch from an unknown tree. The appearance didn't hold much promise on it's own, but the burning gives a unique character. I'm still doing minor refinements on him before he gets mounted. He is cute though...

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2015-05-09 19:22 ]

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2015-05-09 19:24 ]

Used some leftover Urethane I've had for too long. I think I should stick to varnish, but it does give it a weathered look that has an appeal.

The Beautiful Jennifer of Don's Dagger Bar graces the completed "Char" guy. He's mounted on chiseled, charred Orange wood and at 20 inches will make a nice addition to a Tiki Bar, Outdoor Spa desk etc.

This is the first time I have chosen to completely burn the surface for appearance but it won't be the last. It gives a nice character. I boils down to bringing out the best of what you have. Somethings become better than expected when treated with TLC and a little advice from your Carver Spirit.

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2015-05-16 19:18 ]

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2015-05-16 19:20 ]

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2015-05-24 20:42 ]

The progression of a Log. This is Macadamia Nut tree.(how Appropriate) The wood has splits and the bark is difficult to peel. None of which will stop the Tiki from happening. The good news? It seems to take detail well.

Keep the Faith

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2015-05-16 19:29 ]

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2015-05-16 19:31 ]

Progressing well! This one will be simpler and more affordable.

More Manzanita.

Passers by really enjoy the beauty of this wood. I'll use it whenever I can get it.

H

Nice work.

Thanks, Hiltiki!
Always good hearing from you.

Here he is Oiled up and drying out. Golden Mahogany stain, Teak oil finish, torch highlighting, Orange wood mount. Like most Manzanita, it is not straight and requires a little innovative touch to make it look tiki-esque. I've been very happy with the way most of these came out. Tiki in abstract.

Keep the Faith

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2015-05-25 10:02 ]

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2015-06-20 20:48 ]

On 2015-05-25 18:22, Sunset Mike wrote:

Using up Queen Palm. Finding out what's inside
Sold Already! I'll have to do more like him.

Stuff of late. A basic guy of Queen Palm (3 feet) and a gnarled manzanita branch in which I have found a wierd guy with a wild hair do. The Manzanita guy has a lot of detail and is a great deal of work. But might turn out to be the best of of the Manzanita works I have done, we'll see. I love the tones of this wood. The defects sometimes add character. It's not easy to work, but the results have not been disappointing. I sold Two of the Manzanita wood kids this week.

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2015-06-20 20:53 ]

C
cy posted on Sun, Jun 21, 2015 4:40 PM

Nice use of what the wood gives you Mike!

Sometimes, A work seems to whisper to me. Yeah, let's go all the way! The hair is a tedious and time consuming thing, but I know I'll not regret it in the end. A pricy piece it will be and I'll probably end up keeping it for awhile. But I like having them for my own too. The Manzanita really has beautiful tones that I feel obligated to use. I hope I can get some more of this stuff soon.

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2015-06-28 17:54 ]

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2015-06-28 17:56 ]

On 2015-06-21 16:40, cy wrote:
Nice use of what the wood gives you Mike!

Thanks Bro! Always good hearing from you!

A
amate posted on Wed, Jul 1, 2015 4:21 AM

I love it that the wood "whispers" to you. I too often suffer that affliction. Keep the Faith my friend.

On 2015-07-01 04:21, amate wrote:
I love it that the wood "whispers" to you. I too often suffer that affliction. Keep the Faith my friend.

Sometimes it screams at me. Sometimes it laughs at me, sometimes it weeps, sometimes it smiles. It's all good!
Keep the Faith Too, Bud!

Mr. Manzanita.

No we're havin Fun! I decided to make my first attempt at incorporating another medium into a work. In this case it in polished Bone inlaid into the eyes. Scrimshaw will make for Irises. This one is turning out really well. These are the works that keep me going and keep me inspired. In the future I'll do some experimenting with ebony, Silver, Jade, etc.

After I have produced a few more affordable pieces that is. I'm going to have to ask a lot for this guy.

Have a Happy Fourth Tiki Centralites. Be safe out there.

Eyes and Teak oil. The finish really brings out the colors of this Manzanita. The eyes turned out well. I have a Manzanita Root burl ready to mount him on as well.

I really enjoy the romancing period with some works. Even if it wears off in time.

This Manzanita Root Burl upon which the Manzanita guy is mounted turned a rather dull blackish color with the application of teak oil. But the color along with the organic features give it the appearance of something like hardened lava. It also brings out very dramatically the natural hues of the Manzanita wood which is really a star feature of this work. I'm proud of him alright and could end up keeping him for a bit at the price I will be asking. A lot of work went into him, but it was worth it!

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2015-07-06 20:28 ]

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2015-07-08 19:58 ]

https://www.facebook.com/DonTheBeachcomber/photos/a.10151660800945064.1073741827.187204985063/10152875599200064/?type=1&theater

Great News! The action is over and the developers won't get to bulldoze one of the Icons of Tiki Culture. The face book link above tells the story. There are some things money cannot buy and a place like Dons in a building built as a Tiki Palace in 1960, takes a great deal more than money.
This isn't Disneyland, it's real!

Glad that means something to some of us. Praise be to God, a triumph over greed!

Jennifer!

Back from Cambodia. I like her here!

Some have accused me of using these pose pics as an excuse to brush up to the pretty Girls.

Busted! Guilty! Cad!

Hey, gimme a break, I can't get by on my looks anymore.

Keep the Faith

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2015-07-12 19:06 ]

The Hula Girls! At Don the Beachcomber's city council victory celebration. Yes, it's worth celebrating. Can't get enough of Judy Luck and Miva Moore. The Ascot guy is back too. Schmoozing up to the girls. he does that.

A great night of Hulabilly and fun!

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2015-07-18 23:45 ]

Whats better than a Sunset Mike Tiki? Judy Luck and Niva Moore with a Sunset Mike Tiki! Of course the Tiki's are mine and the Girls are not, (I'm sorry to say). But the view is good!

A piece of Mystery Wood has a burl too interesting to leave out.

A screaming, opera singing or perhaps shocked expression taken out of a burl on this Branck. This is American Sweet Gum and I'm finding that it carves well.

I might leave it as a stick versus mounting it upright. Sometimes people enjoy that.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 601 replies