Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Don the Beachcomber

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 601 replies

April, 2016: Steve from New York gets his new guys had some issues getting them through Airport security. "?" Now whoever hijacked a plane with a Tiki? A section of Indian Laurel Wood gives me my latest Handsy guy. Light Golden Mahogany stain, marine varnish. He came out nicely, especially next to Jennifer (lucky guy)

And one for which I though in the towel. Despite great effort the Manzanita was eaten through by Longhorn beetle larvae and had to be dispositioned to the fireplace. Not often that I give up, but I know when I'm licked. Rest in Peace little fella!

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2016-04-10 16:08 ]

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2016-04-10 16:09 ]

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2016-04-10 16:10 ]

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2016-04-10 16:12 ]

T

Mike, i had problems just last month trying to get through TSA security with a tiki. After scanning it, they decided it would be ok. :o

On 2016-04-11 09:20, TheBigT wrote:
Mike, i had problems just last month trying to get through TSA security with a tiki. After scanning it, they decided it would be ok. :o
Crazy world. I guess you can't blame them can you?

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2016-05-28 23:08 ]

The Beachcomber "Jenns" and my two latest. Both of these guys were not easy! Manzanita is both hard and brittle and occasionally there must be compromise. The Gnarly branches with a great deal of sanding with ascending grits can yield a presentable work. I'm thinking of these as Organic style (No, not like from Mothers Market) because it's really a dance with the wood, where you let it lead and try not to force it. The "Organic" Beauty of the burl comes out and if complimented by a little shape.

Of course we don;t need to talk about the The Jennifers shapes now do we?

Keep the Faith

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2016-04-23 23:42 ]

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2016-04-23 23:43 ]

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2016-04-23 23:47 ]

Another done in Black Locust wood. Hard stuff, great effort, tedious tung oil finishing but beautiful when done.This one is a Primitiva Mod (that is Atomic Age Mod) style as explained in his docier. The screamin Surf shack guy is mystery wood that might be juniper, and has marine varnish for the finish.

Either way they look good next to Jennifer!

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2016-05-28 23:07 ]

Tiki
Primitiva Mod

Height: 16 Inches
Material: Black Locust Wood
Mount: Freestanding
Method: Old style non-machine hand fashioning.
Influence: Tiki Mod
Colors: Natural Tones
Finish: Hand rubbed Tung Oil,

“The Concept of using so-called ‘Primitive Art’ to contrast the smooth lines of modern design has its Origin in the inspiration the founding fathers of modern art found in the seemingly naïve and savage aesthetic”-Sven A. Kirsten; The Book of Tiki
At the beginning of the 20th century African, Polynesian and other examples of Primitiva that began finding their way to galleries of the european collectors and inspired a generation of rebellious Artists, Gaugin, Picasso, Miro, Klee and Ernst among them, to seek escape the from rigidity of the established standards. The ‘Avante Garde art that would eventually become the hallmark of the Bohemian lifestyle of the last century.
Later as a post second World war generation sought escape to Eden in flowered shirts, rum cocktails and exotica instrumentals accompanying dreams of half naked native women and bamboo huts in a steamy tropical paradise, tribal art began to break the monotony of the contemporary living room as the avante garde spread it’s influence into the culture of the atomic age. The Tiki’s time had come.
This work is a work of the simple primitive refined in the contemporary method. Familiarly classic, it is Native American Black Locust wood laborously sanded into symphony of brown, amber and black hues in organic patterns deepened by a hand rubbed tung oil finish. A distinctively beautiful and durable hardwood, black locust is both a challenging and rewarding medium to the Artist. Who, when the painstaking work is finished, can bask in the sense of accomplishment equal to the effort.
I see in this work the spirit of sentiment the forefathers of modern art might have had in the desire to capture the pre-civilized innocence that exists in somewhere in all of us and wish it to bring a little bit of paradise wherever it goes
Sunset Mike

C
cy posted on Mon, May 30, 2016 2:41 PM

Cool carve Sunset Mike, really like the wood, finish, and research involved in making your tiki mod piece.

On 2016-05-30 14:41, cy wrote:
Cool carve Sunset Mike, really like the wood, finish, and research involved in making your tiki mod piece.
Maholo CV!

My latest guy. Not the first dug out style Ive done. but was directly inspired by the "Lucky Guy Tiki" from the Tiki Erotica thread. Where we see he keeps showing up.
I have to agree with Atomic Tiki Punk, the thread has been ruined by postings of non-tiki stuff snd some of which is not even vintage.

But these qualify! I hope he gets as lucky.

H

Do keep us posted if by chance the Pin-Ups start getting photoed on and around it !!!

Will do!

THe Helmet guy just got refinished. I had to do that because some woman in a suburban was too concerned about finding a parking space to look where she was backing up. She said rather blandly and automatically "Oh, I'm so sorry" and disappeared with no further concern setting me into a bit of a tailspin of mood. Fortunately the damage was repairable and I said some prayers for her because it's obvious that she has issues and is unaware that things come back to get you somehow, someway. Good Luck Lady!

Still, I was lucky on this occasion and should probably put something up that the chronically inattentive ( and thoroughly uncaring) cannot ignore.

The next is another play it by ear manzanita fella that I might try finishing with tung oil. I'm a little concerned it will turn out darker than I would like, but we'll see if I want to test it.

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2016-07-30 18:06 ]

Here's another completed work out of Black Locust Wood. This is one of the hardest lumber woods of North America (1780 on the Janka scale) Very resistant to rot and pests and legendarily beautiful. Here it is in the hands of the Legendarily beautiful Jennifer of Don the Beachcomber.

This work was finished with teak oil to preserve the contrast between the light and dark shades of the wood and I'm very happy with how he came out.

Beauty, Heather takes a minute to display her goodies next to mine. The tung oil finish is doing this section of Manzanita justice and contrasting the light and dark sections well.
The Himalayan Cedar is being prepared for chiseling. Drawing and measurements, next comes Plasticine M/odeling on a smaller scale and then the fun part! Lot's ofburls and knots and luckily tiki art is very forgiving.

The Log also serves the dual purpose as a barrier for those who are "Parking Challenged" and will create a ruckus and / or damage a vehicle if backed into; offering a little incentive to look before they reverse.

Progressing on the Plasticine model Cedar project. Not easy to work with, but forgiving and re-do able, this will serve as a reference point on the big guy. City of refuge influence.

javascript:popup();

The big projects need the other parts of the brain to kick in gear. Plum bos, levels, calipers, charcoal and the calculator are employed in mapping out the Cedar log for the big guy.

In other news .both of my black locust guys were purchased last week by a return customer. So I have another black locust guy in the works. I managed to get a lot done in one days time

8T

What are you doing...... carving out in the street?

So did you turn this....

Into this ???? :lol:

First coat of Tung oil. The features come out. So do all the defects. There is work to do yet but he'll be ready by Dad's Birthday!

On 2016-08-29 15:42, 8FT Tiki wrote:
What are you doing...... carving out in the street?

So did you turn this....

Into this ???? :lol:

In a manner of speaking, yes. The model is basically a map. That is how he will look. Hopefully! The wood sometimes has Ideas of its own.

Dads party and his Birthday Present!

Dad was very happy, the family was amazed. Dad decided to name him 'Albert' after the nickname he had given me when my absent minded tendencies would kick in. (Albert Einstein, he was a space cadet too, dad though it fitting)

It is only fitting that the Man who raised and put up with me all these decades should get the best Black Locust work I have yet done. Extra effort went into it and it turned out better than expected. Dad is still calling and telling me how awesome he thinks it is! It would have been quite at home on his desk when he was a self made millionaire. It would have been perfect in his Belmont shores beach Pad back in 1965. Now he's lookin over the living room and reminding Dad that I love him. That'll work!

Happy Birthday Dad! Stick Around,

A wonderful gift from a loving son. What a great story. I really enjoyed it. Wendy

C
cy posted on Wed, Sep 21, 2016 8:19 AM

Nice Sunset Mike!

[ Edited by: cy 2016-09-21 08:20 ]

Thanks Wendy and CV!

Here is a Manzanita who is either singing Opera or just saw
a ghost. He's coming along well!

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2016-09-24 18:35 ]

Finishing touch, Jennifer! She overshadows the 'Screamin Manzanita' guy with his first coat of teak oil.
You have to look carefully to see he is holding his face in his hands as in Edvard Munch's "The Scream" it just seemed appropriate if not traditional. He looks like I feel on some days.

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2016-09-25 17:07 ]

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2016-09-25 17:08 ]

javascript:popup();

Only minimum credit for me. This is the work of the ultimate artist! I sanded, refined and oiled up this is a Manzanita Burl provided by a friend and it will serve as a candle stand, mount or just as is. Wow, the shapes and colors, all natural!

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2016-10-02 15:47 ]

Hoping all of my Tiki Central friends had the best of Holidays! New Years at Dons was as good as it gets and Christmas had me 'Elfing it" in my carving spot. The Hula Girls are showing off my latest Effort. I'll be posting some images of him soon.

“In ancient times, Hawaiians lived under strict laws. Commoners could not get too close to the chief, nor were they allowed to touch any of his possessions, walk in his footsteps or even let their shadows touch the royal grounds. The penalty for violating a sacred kapu (taboo) was death.
Breaking a kapu was believed to incur the wrath of the gods. Hawaiians often chased down an offender and swiftly put him to death unless he could reach a puuhonua, or place of refuge. There he could be absolved by a kahuna (priest) in a purification ceremony, then return home with his transgression forgiven. Defeated warriors and non-combatants could also find refuge here during times of battle.”

Puuhonua O Honaunau is the most famous and best preserved of Hawaii’s ancient places of refuge. Representations of elaborately head dressed spirits provided sanctuary for the unfortunate offender and the weary warrior. These statues have inspired Tiki works for generations and the inspiration continues in this work which is taken from the protective Puuhonua, angry warrior spirit designed to frighten away the evil spirits. Resembling “Ku” the God of war, and vaguely the “Cannibal Dogmen” (Spirits which were half-man, half dog and ate human flesh), he is the one that was run to in time of trouble. Among the Hawaiians, even the King bowed to the will of such spirits and the image carried about him an aura of Safety from enemies and defender of Peace in the presence of danger.
This work is inspired by the elaborate works gracing the Sanctuary of the ancient people of the Big Island. A Sanctuary to them as were the Churches of Europe across the vast Oceans.

The Work is Hand Carved from a branch of a tree unidentified. Taken from the back of a landscapers truck it escaped the landfill and the fireplace into my hands to become a lovingly carved work of Art finished in Tung Oil and bearing the signature of an Artist who does not believe such things come to his hands by mere accident. It is a beautiful and heavy hardwood that takes detail well and boasts rich amber and honey tones, a minimum of flaws and just enough checking (split) to give it character.
His name shall be given when he is adopted. Until then he is a reminder to his Artist creator that Gold occurs where you least expect it. I hope I can some day discover the variety of tree that provided the wood.until then, I remain grateful to have been given it.
Sunset Mike

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2017-01-23 21:23 ]

C
cy posted on Mon, Jan 23, 2017 1:47 PM

New one looks great Mike.

On 2017-01-23 13:47, cy wrote:
New one looks great Mike.

Mahalo CV, I am quite happy with it too, Good to hear from you!

The Latest in Manzanita Wood!
16 inches
Teak Oil Finish
Freestanding

This piece seemed to want to be a Holy Man, Shaman or priest. His is expression is one of cheerful reverence. Of course he fits right in with his family here!

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2017-03-12 16:14 ]

Latest guys.
Evergreen pear in the blackened style with filing highlights and Marine Varnish finish. King palm in Marquesianesque style.King palm is good for simple works and has a tropical character that fits well in traditional styles.

Both affordable, simple and still looking good enough to make someone happy. That's the idea!

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2017-04-07 21:43 ]

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2017-04-07 21:46 ]

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2017-04-07 21:47 ]

A Gene Simmons impersonator and a King Palm fella for Palm Sunday!

Both affordable works. The Blackened fella is a mystery wood and still in progress.

A little varnish and he's ready for Tiki Makeke! See you there!

Latest addition!
Blackened Evergreen Pear wood with that I just got lucky look!

He goes well with the gang!

Here's a simple work in King Palm. I sure got a lot of good feedback on him and he really is a basic fella who'll go for an affordable price. King palm can be difficult to manage and much of it just doesn't work, but some parts do it like this guy.

The creating of a beautiful Burl of Manzanita is far beyond my talent. But like the discovery of a Gem in the rough it can be made into a jewel. And assuredly, it is.
Painstakingly cleaned, sanded, refined and finished with teak oil, it is a thing of beauty I may find it hard to part with and will want to keep. It looks great next to the works and adds a character I cannot create on my own. The work of the ultimate Artist, I am only the refiner!

Doing another yard Job. This Family has created a piece of paradise in their own yard. And now, they want a Sunset Mike in it to complete it out.

This one is a full figured Ku out of a Queen Palm Stump. Quite an effort I have to say, but he is coming out well. The customer wants no finish on it for the time being. This will give me an opportunity to see how the Queen Palm holds up against the weather.

As is is, I am a tired guy. Doing a lot of swinging that mallet getting this fella in shape.

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2017-10-01 17:03 ]

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2017-10-01 17:03 ]

T

Mike, wow, that Ku you are working on is so killer! All the last few pieces, beautiful. Love the root, super cool. Excellent finish. Can't wait to see that ku finished up!

Details coming in. This guy is really at home in this homemade tropical paradise. Surely I am as proud to have one of my works as a resident spirit. He will cure out for a couple of months before we put on some epoxy resin to keep him.

Big "T" Thanks for you post and compliment. Good hearing from you!

C
cy posted on Mon, Oct 9, 2017 8:05 AM

That is coming along nicely Mike!

Thanks CV and Big T.

Here he is, and we're letting him cure out for a bit before thinking of a finishow the weather treats . Owner likes him like he is and we'll see how the weather treats him before deciding.

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2017-11-16 21:14 ]

doing a little Manzanita stuff too!
It's tough to work and unpredictable, but Colors, Wow!

Merry Christmas to all,
And to all

A Good Night!

T

Yeah the ku came out really great. Happy New Year!

Ac couple of guys.
Queen Palm -3 feet, 7 inches

A Manzanita fella in the works. It was about time I did some more of the inlaid bone stuff. In this case, Dental implants made of horse bone.

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2018-03-07 21:07 ]

The world famous Don the Beachcomber is approaching 10 tiki-tastic years in Huntington Beach, California!

To celebrate, Don's is throwing a 2-night Ohana Gathering for our loyal patrons - and you are invited!

With music from bands like Jason Lee and the R.I.P.tides, The Hula Girls, Ukulena, Big Poi Combo, The Hot Rod Trio and many more of your favorite entertainers, you will truly enjoy your Ohana experience!

PLUS: The executive chefs at Don's are preparing a Hawaiian feast buffet for this special occasion.
TICKETS AVAILABLE NOW at http://www.donthebeachcomber.com

Text 714-809-6146 for more info.
Thanks for being part of our Ohana!

I am, ALSO celebrating nearly a decade as the resident Tiki Artist of this, the finest of Tiki places anywhere.

Thanks for taking me in Art (Snyder) Glad to be a part of the family

And I miss you!

Keep the Faith

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2018-03-12 20:22 ]

Adopted!

My Apricot wood Ku. Just refinished him, polishing his features down to 3000 grit, hand rubbing the Tung oil and coating with Carnuba for added smoothness.
A return customer couple just had to have him for their rental property in Hawaii. I could not see my boy being unhappy there.

after I handed him over to his new parents,The wife sat with him in her lap. Running her fingers over his features, almost caressing him. The best thing about having a God given talent is sharing it and making someone happy with it. They will love him. I am sure.

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2018-03-19 19:51 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 601 replies