Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Birds of the Pacific - TC Art Swap!!!! Its on again!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 370 replies

Love the colors Bai, gorgeous!!!

Edit - HEY! I didn't see the "necklace" - even more GORGEOUS!!!

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2010-08-05 07:22 ]

T
TikiG posted on Thu, Aug 5, 2010 6:34 AM

Wow, Bai...

Yeah it really just comes down to WOW!! Love it! G

A

drool, eyes-a-poppin sweet!!

Very nice work Tiki Baï!

B

Your Tikiwi is SOOOOO cute! Sweet little patterning too. Is that a little necklace with teardrop glass beads? What a neat idea!

"Something, something, something, Dark Side, something, something."

[ Edited by: beadtiki 2010-08-05 09:42 ]

Bai, your creation is truly a thing of beauty!
~kele

T
TikiG posted on Thu, Aug 5, 2010 6:28 PM

Aloha! Tiki Central Brothers and Sisters -

Here is the link to my "Bird of the Pacific- Part Two" fresh off the easel tonight. This painting completes my two-piece offering for this swap. Dig it!
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=459672&l=3bee8b11b1&id=100000151681492

I'm like, you know, really in love with all of the art-works posted on this thread so far. Better yet, I know there are a few pieces in the works right now that are gonna knock us off our chairs when unveiled by their creators. Have fun everybody and let's applause each other for a job well done :) G

I hope you don't mind that I keep making stuff and posting pictures - these Swaps inspire me and I hope my enthusiasm will be contagious :D

HORNBILL FACTS - Did you know that the scientific name for the hornbill family, Bucerotidae, comes from the Greek word "buceros" for "cow horn"?
Well, I'm about out of Hornbill ideas. :o (Well maybe just one more watercolor painting?) Hornbill #6 is kind of a "throw-away" project, but maybe my Swap partner just DREAMS of a piece like this :lol: An 8x8 inch convex wallhanging, the design was inspired by a Papua New Guinea ancestor board. The colors are flat underglaze with a paste wax finish giving it very little sheen to retain the natural pigment look.

Babalu got my Hornbill #2 fired. You can see subtle pink and greys in the white areas, these will have a mother of pearl overglaze on them to hopefully look like shell inlay. (edit- new pic)

I've got my sights set on a new bird; the Frogmouth Owl. I'm working on a project tonight, we'll see what happens :)

I told my wife "Look at this HIDEOUS bird" She said "Oh, how CUTE!" So now I'm trying to make one :lol:

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2010-08-20 13:59 ]

B

On 2010-08-05 18:28, TikiG wrote:
Aloha! Tiki Central Brothers and Sisters -

Here is the link to my "Bird of the Pacific- Part Two" fresh off the easel tonight. This painting completes my two-piece offering for this swap. Dig it!
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=459672&l=3bee8b11b1&id=100000151681492

I'm like, you know, really in love with all of the art-works posted on this thread so far. Better yet, I know there are a few pieces in the works right now that are gonna knock us off our chairs when unveiled by their creators. Have fun everybody and let's applause each other for a job well done :) G

I like your style, simple, elegant and to the point! You should do an entire line of Pacific Birds! LOL

B

Mike - nice stuff, as usual! That owl looks like a cross between an ostrich and an eagle! Funny!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Greg, I had missed your posting - great style and it's hilarious. A perfectly matched set!

I have a confession to make; I've been on vacation from work for the past 2 weeks and I've squandered a good part of that time off making bird ceramics!!! - But I loved every minute of it, so relaxing. I give Buzzy crap because he carves tikis in his living room but my wife lets me play with mud in the kitchen, I guess I don't have much room to talk :lol:

Here's the Papuan Frogmouth Owl I started last evening, it'll get some clean-up as it dries. The construction was a bit of a stretch for me- I usually find or make some sort of a form and mold the clay around it. This one I coiled and pinched to get the shape I wanted. I'm not sure what it's purpose will be - it's only about 1 1/2 inch deep, if nothing else it would make a great ashtray :lol:

Edit - I'm already hogging up this thread, I didn't want to bump it again but here's my Frogmouth with some underglaze painted on. Maybe ready to go in the kiln tomorrow?

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2010-08-08 07:55 ]

A

Adorable! I was wondering how you managed a full time job, cooking like a pro and all those new pieces. Mystery revealed! Time well spent, I'd say.

Yes Amy, I say it was time well spent - great vacation! But starting Tuesday ya'all are gonna have to provide your own content for this thread 'cuz I have to go back to work :( :lol:

HORNBILL FACTS - Did you know that the flapping of a hornbill's wings can be heard up to a mile away?
I thought I was out of Hornbill ideas and BAM! I remembered something I had stashed in my Ceramics Inspiration folder - a PNG Sepik River Fighting Horn. These side-blown trumpet were used on hunting expeditions and head-hunting forays. Mine is about 10 inches long while the real ones are about 30 inches long. The tone probably won't be as rich but you can use it to summon the bartender at your favorite tiki bar (bartenders love that!). This will need lots of cleanup as it dries.

Wow! That looks pretty cool!

A

For sure that is a cool thing, and I'm sure that bartenders love it! haha

Wow Mike, you are a one man art show. All your submissions are super good and fun and wonderful. I'm inspired to get busy. Wendy

Thanks Wendy :D

HORNBILL FACTS - Did you know that one species of hornbills is known to go out foraging with mongooses? The mongooses help the hornbills stir up insects and the hornbills help warn the mongooses of approaching danger.

Hornbill #7 is done, the Sepik River Fighting Horn (Hornbill is on top of the guy's head). It won't beat a good conch shell but it has a nice tone, perfect for summoning your woman in the jungle or the bartender at you local watering hole. About 10 inches tall and 3 inches in diameter.

My Papuan Frogmouth Owl candy dish is done too. 7x6x3 inches

I'm working on Hornbill #8, a watercolor painting entitled "Monday Morning in Baining". I'm not a painter but I had done this same painting earlier and wanted to see if I could improve on it, so I sought some professional advice (I won't say who it was because he may not want to be associated with this painting - but his initials are LLT :lol: ) He gave me some tips (and some supplies), I wish he could have given me some of his talent!

I am thinking of a creative way to frame it. Overall I like "improved" version better, but there are a couple of things I liked better on the original. (Edit - new photo posted, better color rendition)

Vacation is over so my artflow will slow down, give some of you a chance to catch up :lol:

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2010-08-16 07:17 ]

Wow Mike! IMO, that is a huge improvement over the first! Love the more subdued palette and the shadow interaction between the bird and the mask is very good! I think you should try painting more!

B

My GOD Mike! I get a job and don't get on TC for like two weeks and BAM! there you are all over the place! Your frogmouth owl "candy dish" is really cute! And I like your big ten inch...uh, horn?! Very cool! Sorry you had to go back to work - I'm just glad to be working again!

Z

Back from Oasis.....
Okay!! I'll do the swap!!
:wink:
This is all your doing, MDM...
~Z.

Bring it! It was good to meet you Zero :) Glad I talked you into it.

Alrighty, I gotta get movin' on crazy Captain Hornbill!
First the sketching~ness...

and then the first round of color...

then round 2...

...and 3...

More soon!
~Zero

[[[((8-0))]]]
The Super Secret Sigil of The Electric Tiki Society(tm)

[ Edited by: ZeroTiki 2010-08-26 23:45 ]

[ Edited by: ZeroTiki 2010-08-27 00:15 ]

Looks like a big one. Nice start

Deadline is approaching! Better back to it before the end comes.

...Apparently all that time upside down made the color rush to his head!
I think this piece is about 22 X 28 or thereabouts, acrylic & stretched canvas.
I'm sure someone will give the Cap'n a good home, even though he is a rough and tumble salty dog of a hornbill...
:D
~Zero

A

Ok, so here's a bit of progress on the plush fairy tern mug:

It'll be a shortie- 4" tall, with lots of hand stitching, hand made garnishes and an original sculpt swizzle stick.

I swiped the image from the audleytravel.com image gallery, and modded it a bit in PhotoShop. Since it's one of a kind and not even for
sale, I figured that was ok to do.

Let's get it goin' there Tom! I picked out an idea and a piece of wood and may attempt a bird carving, but I know it won't be near as good as yours :D

Zero & Amy, both entries are lookin' good.

gotta...keep...WORKING!

Ol' hornbill got his hair done!

And now...even closer to finished...

(now I can't find my spaghetti, though...)

More later,
~Zero

Visit Zerotiki!

[[[((8-0))]]]

[ Edited by: ZeroTiki 2010-08-30 11:25 ]

Z

Bumping to remind us all that we are at the 12 day mark!

...That is correct, right? Oh, wait, that's 21 days...
So, last 3 weeks, then.. lets go for the big finale, everybody!
Brick-a bracker Firecracker Ziz Boom BAH!
Tiki Central, Tiki Central
RAH RAH RAH!

:tiki:
ahem..
~Zero

Lorikeets watching me in my sleeeeeeeeeeep!

Visit Zerotiki!

[[[((8-0))]]]

[ Edited by: ZeroTiki 2010-08-31 09:06 ]

ZeroTiki, love those colors! Time for the finishing frenzy all :D

On 2010-08-31 08:52, ZeroTiki wrote:
Bumping to remind us all that we are at the 12 day mark!

...That is correct, right? Oh, wait, that's 21 days...
So, last 3 weeks, then.. lets go for the big finale, everybody!

ZeroTiki, that was MEAN! (& yes, you made me look at the calendar!)

But I do need to get moving faster toward completion of my offering.

~kele

Z

Fleshing out the jungle...

..Don't mind Johhny Pepperhead... he just saw a camera out, & he's kind of a ham.
:drink:
~Zero

P

Zerotiki, looks great! I made a lot of progress tonight and hope to make a ton more tomorrow. Also, my wife wanted me to ask you if she could join the swap? I told her that based on my other post of her making me a painting, someone had asked if she would be willing to contribute to this trade, and she said she'd love to. She even already started painting! If you all would have her, she would be very pleased! I can post up progress pictures of both mine and her work tomorrow. Please let me know!

Zero, great progress

PennJones, I say the more the merrier. Just remind Hewey at draw time that you 2 are a couple so you don't end up swapping with each other.

Z

Thanks, guys!
I agree with Mike - the more the merrier!

Hi Everyone, this time around I've had trouble getting started but now my entry is underway. There will be a tropical bird making use of the tiki in later posts. Hugs, to all my friends, Wendy

PS he's not really crooked I took the photo from the side

"...I've had trouble getting started ..."

Maybe you've been a little busy Wendy :D Glad to see you've got a good start, can't wait to see what develops

Z

YAY! GO WENDY!!!
...Oh, and say 'hi' to Dan for me :wink:

:tiki: :drink:
~zero

Visit Zerotiki!

[[[((8-0))]]]

[ Edited by: ZeroTiki 2010-09-03 20:02 ]

B
Babalu posted on Fri, Sep 3, 2010 8:39 PM

Thought I would throw out a little teaser picture. :)

It's a long drive, way back, past the warning track wall. You can touch all the bases Babalu, it's a HOME RUN!!!

HORNBILL FACTS - Did you know that the hornbill was revered by ancient people as a "god of war."

I am working on one last bird piece before the deadline, a Papua New Guinea Bird-Headed War Club. It started at a forked branch so it's one piece. I'm not sure where this will lead, I am letting the wood speak to me. OK, that's artist talk for "I haven't the faintest idea what the hell I'm doing" :lol:

May carve or burn some designs into it, may leave it clean and smooth? May add some inlayed shell eyes? Maybe colored twine handle wrapping? Who knows? 10x21 inches

B
Babalu posted on Sat, Sep 4, 2010 9:51 AM

Damn Mike...how many pieces have you done now, like 40, or something? Your a CLAY STUD!

Ok, I was able to get some other pictures up this morning...hope you guys like him. He's done.

Z

Mike, you are truly a MADMAN!!! It's like a volcano of bird~y goodness, and educational, too!
Babalu, I am never disappinted by your amazing skill... truly!
This swap is just chockablock with amazin', stupendulous, ingredimazing, fantastigoodness artstuffs! Tons of great folks making great art - it does my soul good to see it!

...Oh, and Wendy? Watch out, or the birdies'll GETCHA!

:wink:
~Zero

Beautiful work Babalu!

ZeroTiki and Zerostreet with posts next to each other. I'm curious what inspired your names? Dan plans to start posting on TC one day so the name we came up for him is wendylovestikis!

It's fun to see the bird run off with my autograph for your jacket ZeroTiki, did you get it back?

It's late so now I'll get back to my painting, I have to catch up big time. Babalu you rock, all the art is tip tops this year and you are the tip of the top. Hugs, Wendy

Hey Wendy....years ago when trying to come up with a name for my website I thought of a street near where I lived that locals referred to as Zero Street due to the fact that it was in between NW 1st street and SW 1st street.

By the way, did you read my response to you in my gallery post? I'm curious who you confused me for at Tiki Oasis?

Wicked Rick, you are the glaze master (and the sculpt master, and the mold master, and an all around cool dude)

Wendylovetikis :lol: that should confuse everyone

P

Well Mrs. Pennjones is done with her piece. She doesn't know if this will be her piece for the trade or not, because she's really into painting lately and wants to do more, but here are the progress shots:

And the finished product:

The color is much more vivid in person. I'm quickly realizing I need a new camera, because ours kinda sucks.

And while mine isn't done just yet, it's fastly getting there. I have a lot more detail and additions for this thing! Here is the full piece and some detail shots:

Again, the colors are much more brilliant in person. Thanks for looking!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 370 replies