Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Birds of the Pacific - TC Art Swap!!!! Its on again!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 370 replies

I'm glad to be working on this swap. I can't wait until the end to see who gets which piece, they are all so good. I'm trying hard to catch up. Here's step two. Wendy

Z

When I firt started painting (and acting), I used the name, "MarkZero", which was quickly shortened to "Zero". This is why my abstract art site is called markzeroart.com. When I started actively painting tikis, it was several years before I had anything wood and tikified, and to this day I still haven't actually gotten a true, wood pole-style tiki. hence, 'ZeroTiki'.

The Pennjoneses are a 2 artist family!!! :lol:

Both are looking great, what is the bird the Missus has painted? (I'm not very well versed on tropical birds :) ) The toucan is looking very good, I like the changes to the beak and the tapa border is a nice touch.

Wendy, great progress! I love how the shadows create a 3D effect (something my brain understands but my hand can't yet perform)

I have finished framing my "Monday Morning in Baining" picture. A deep, shadow box type frame of burned and spar varnished redwood with glass. The "back story" is mounted to the back of the frame, is that why it's called a back story? :D

I think it's called a superb fruit dove and it lives in the New Guinea/Australia/Phillipenes area

P

So, I did a lot of work today and finished my piece for the swap. Here it is:

Please let me know what you think of it!

On 2010-09-05 16:55, pennjones wrote:
Please let me know what you think of it!

I think it's beauteous!

Z

Nice work, pennjones!
...So WaikikianMoeKele, how's your piece coming along?

[ Edited by: ZeroTiki 2010-09-05 17:45 ]

T
TikiG posted on Sun, Sep 5, 2010 6:10 PM

DAMN!! I leave for what seems like minutes, come back to the living room and look at THIS!?!

amybean - I'm diggin on the colors of the plush fairy tern mug...cool mint green awesome goodness

Wendy - tease me please me one step at a time. Can't wait to see how the image evolves into a bird theme

Babalu - Now you've done it, you make me reach for a clean napkin...'scuse me while I wipe the drool off my chin AGAIN

MadDogMike - What's the deal with your submission? Win one get ten free?!? Every one a winner my friend.

Pennjones - I love your multi-element piece a lot, it would look great on any wall. Mrs. Pennjones' painting is vivid psychedelic goodness - yay!

Isn't it time to raise a toast to all of this spectacular art creativity? Well you got it - CHEERS PEOPLE!! G

Pennjones, I love the colors - looks like a 70s blacklight painting (I mean that in a good way :) ) The border and the sculptured elements really make it POP!

Tiki G-Man, My partner will get their choice - should be SOMETHING in there they would like! :lol: CHEERS!

PS - thanks for the voting help folks :D

On 2010-09-05 18:50, MadDogMike wrote:
Pennjones, I love the colors - looks like a 70s blacklight painting (I mean that in a good way :) ) The border and the sculptured elements really make it POP!

Tiki G-Man, My partner will get their choice - should be SOMETHING in there they would like! :lol: CHEERS!

PS - thanks for the voting help folks :D

Had such a busy day I forgot all about your message to me last night! Just voted!

TB

this is a really cool swap :)
Love all!
Baï

Z

Cap'n Hornbill settles in for a landing! Done and done!

..and here's the front and back shot

(I added a peking duck on the back because most Tiki locations historically served chinese cuisine - :D )

~Zero
Hey, Hewey!
any chance of a progress so far post? I'm dying to see all of this wonderousness and awesome-ocity, but my scrolling hand is over taxed...
(stop laughing, you...)
:tiki:
~Z

Zerotiki, looks great! All of these pieces are looking fantastic! Thank you for all the kind words and Mrs. Pennjones says thank you too! I can't wait to see who we get to trade with!

Very Cool ZT! Love the detailing on the back - Peking Duck! :lol:

What an awesome swap we're gonna have!

HORNBILL FACTS - Did you know that the hornbill has a 2-lobed kidney?
(OK, I'm starting to run out of hornbill facts :lol: )

I turned off the power tools and listened, the wood spoke it me. It said that it had the heart of a warrior- smooth, clean, and efficient. Not like some ornate 10 dollar hooker. How convenient, since I don't have the woodcarving skills to go all baroque on it :D
I think the wood for this PNG Bird Head Club is Indian Laurel (Ficus), beautiful color and grain with full gloss spar varnish. The eyes are inlayed grey shell.

ZeroTiki - love the colors

MadDogMike - that's a great weapon

Wendy

E
ebtiki posted on Tue, Sep 7, 2010 4:36 PM

Jeez, Rick ... that's amazing!

The flash is wiping out the depth in the bamboo jungle. Next I'll work on the depth of the foreground. There will be a bird. Wendy

Beautiferous! I'm thinkin' a bird in the mouth is worth two in the hand :lol:

You got it MadDog you Dog! Wendy

Hope I didn't give away any secrets! :lol:

Nope, I just gotta make it work, hugs, Wendy

Z

Looking splendiferous, Wendy!

Thank you ZeroTiki. Here is the next step. Wendy

Supreme Lushocity!

(If you can spell it, it's a word)

Where does a guy living in Indiana find inspiration? Mmmmm... there must be a source that could lead me toward the bight canopy of creativity... well, yeah sure, the rum helps... the internet? Bah!... the library? Bah!... I know! Tiki Modern!

Why didn't I think of this earlier???!!! The "Sufferin' Buzzard" - a Sufferin' Bastard mug with a Turkey Vulture head sticking out of it :lol: I'm working too many days this week to pull it off before the 20th :(

A

I'm totally stealing this idea!!!! (for next time) Maybe a Suffering Buzzard swap :wink:

W

Pictures to come when I'm not sleeping
BUT
I'm leaving for Moorea in three days!
Can I get an address for my swap. They'll be receiving a giant bird mug :D
Pref in the United States. And I'm shipping from the bay area.

This whole thread is for the birds!

Weitz, I'm excited to see pictures soon! Your partner's name (and location) won't be known until about Sept 20 or 21 when Hewey does the draw. (can't draw before the deadline, someone may be finishing a last minute project)

Have fun riding the Yellow Lizard! :D Vacation? Gump Station?

Mike! what are you doing up this late,now get to bed!

Z

HURRY!!!!!!!

LAST WEEK!!! HOME STRETCH TIME!!!

I am having trouble keeping my peepers affixed to my sockets with all of the beautious work, as well as being sooper excited to see all of the work that is hidiing until the last minute unveiling!!

~Zero

Visit Zerotiki!

[[[((8-0))]]]
The Super Secret Sigil of The Electric Tiki Society(tm)

[ Edited by: ZeroTiki 2010-09-13 19:46 ]

I was gonna try to get involved with this extremely cool project... and then LIFE happened again!!!

On 2010-09-14 08:42, Robb Hamel wrote:
... and then LIFE happened again!!!

What a lame excuse - can I use it too?

I would say NO! to both of you but "life happened" to me during the last Swap and I didn't get to play. So I guess I don't have any room to talk :D

A

"life" is definitely happening to me as I scramble to finish my piece on time!! fingers crossed

W
Weitz posted on Tue, Sep 14, 2010 3:11 PM

I still need an address
Looks like whoever was gonna get something from me might have to wait til after Thanksgiving :(
Maybe I'll include a small thing from Moorea to soften the blow?

On 2010-09-14 13:40, amybean wrote:
"life" is definitely happening to me as I scramble to finish my piece on time!! fingers crossed

Someone much smarter than me once said, "A piece of art is never really finished. Eventually, the artist simply stops."

I'll soon have something to show... last swap I impaled some Barbie heads, but not to worry... nothing like that this time... New Zealand South Island Kakas... done in a mid-century style... I hope...

L
Liana posted on Wed, Sep 15, 2010 5:24 AM

On 2010-09-14 15:11, Weitz wrote:
I still need an address
Looks like whoever was gonna get something from me might have to wait til after Thanksgiving :(
Maybe I'll include a small thing from Moorea to soften the blow?

Hey there,

People are not matched up with their swap partner until the swap is over - it is done randomly.

Amy, I had missed you picture. Very nice, looks like a tintype picture taken by King Kalâkaua's court photographer in 1875 :D

OK, only 5 days left 'til the end of the Swap. Those of you who are DONE with your Swap piece can watch this bird themed video for entertainment while you are waiting for the 20th :D

http://fliiby.com/file/39829/rr7ynu5fn2.html

Amy, wonderful painting, I keep returning just to look at it one more time.
MadDogMike, thank you so much I forgot it was ending on the 20th. I still have to feed the tiki. Wendy

B

Very nice Amy :)

Everyone's stuff is so impressive. Up to this point, most of mine has just been planning... now we have the first progress pic.

A

Thanks, ya'll- it's a pixel painting :wink:

I Photoshopped that original photo to within an inch of its (old) life.

On 2010-09-15 18:56, WaikikianMoeKele wrote:
Everyone's stuff is so impressive. Up to this point, most of mine has just been planning... now we have the first progress pic.

A bird feeder! A brilliant take on the theme! :) ...or is it something else?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 370 replies