Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Birds of the Pacific - TC Art Swap!!!! Its on again!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 370 replies

Here's my birdie...

Inspired by the BirdMen of Rapa Nui, & one of my favorite arteests: Little Lost Tiki! Then done up in the good ol' classic Witco style by carvin' and burnin' a 15" slab of Redwood.

I hope you likee!

Mahaloz!

A

Wendy- it's printed on fabric that I sent through my printer.
You can do it too!

http://www.voguefabricsstore.com/store/product.php?productid=4011&cat=0&page=

Note- the price is for 6 packs of 6 sheets each. (I always make mistakes, so I buy it in bulk.)
There are other products to treat the fabric for same style printing, but they are WAY more labor intensive.

That's the first time we've seen that Tiki Lee - nice! You've been holding out on us :lol:

Thank you amybean, something new to try out. Lee that's great. I love the mom and baby photo on Ohana. I just remembered Bai hasn't re-posted her photo yet, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2010-09-20 07:41 ]

Just took a minute to peruse the latest wonderful artwork before heading to bed. My offering is getting close, but won't be done til tomorrow... & later tomorrow at that... but it will get done!
After looking through all the others & with my concern for getting mine finished, who knows what kind of unusual dreams I'll have tonight! :)
~kele

I did... on page 10 :)
here the tikiwi again.

And here's a repost of my entry. I've got it all bubble wrapped and boxed, just waiting to know who(m) I'm a-swappin' with.

Z

TIME!!!
I know some of you already have pics up, but I thought an all in one place approach might be helpful.
~Zero

Visit Zerotiki!

[[[((8-0))]]]
The Super Secret Sigil of The Electric Tiki Society(tm)

[ Edited by: ZeroTiki 2010-09-20 06:32 ]

H
hewey posted on Mon, Sep 20, 2010 7:49 AM

Heweeeeeey, when are you gonna do the swap?????

I'll just give it a little and let the stragglers get their stuff in :D

Today isn't over already? I will have mine ready this next week. Just needs some finishing touches.

B

Is something better than nothing? Is small better than nothing at all? I DID spend a lot of time on it but it just seems inadequate compared to all the incredible stuff the rest of you have been pumping out (that's YOU Mike! :)) I will have to post a pic when I get home from work (5ish).

Well talk about last minute...

Please enter me in the swap.

Still a couple more details to tidy, but pretty much done.

Acrylic on hardboard. 20"x13"

Z

WOW!!!

Ok, here's mine, nearly finished. Really just some finishing touches to add.

It's called "the Blue Footed Booby Hatch."
Measures 12" wide, 9" high & 5 1/2" deep.
Still needs some more trim work, a real sign, some miniature bottles of booze, etc., etc., etc...
It will be totally complete in a couple days.
~kele

[ Edited by: WaikikianMoeKele 2010-09-20 18:38 ]

L

Here's my nearly-finished piece. i have a round of some cleaning up and checking the rest of the detail work to go.

I was inspired by Paradisaea apoda, and kinda let my brain/hand collaboration do all the rest of the work. I hope you guys like it!

It is 11" x 14", pen, marker and ink on bristol paper.

B

I'm finally able to post this - it's my 23rd anniversary and I've been relaxing!

Okay, here's my contribution:

This bird is called the Regence Bower Bird - I thought it was more interesting than the blue bower bird:

I had to remove the background of the picture before I could convert it into a bead pattern:

This is the pattern after I converted it and did A LOT of work cleaning up the colors (there were over 200 colors originally!) and adjusting the edges so they looked smoother:

This picture is after I had started beading one way (peyote) then discovering it was too difficult to bead it that way so I started over using brick stitch (which looks like peyote when you turn is sideways).

This is the finished product facing one direction:

Then the other (with a dime for perspective):

After I finished beading it I thought - now what am I gonna do with it?! If I made it a necklace, and then a guy got it...then I remembered it's kinda too big for a necklace anyhow. So, unless you want to make your own bigass necklace, you're getting a sew-on patch or a suncatcher (some of the beads are transparent) or a Christmas ornament or you can make your own vignette to put it in, etc., etc., ad naseum!

"Something, something, something, Dark Side, something, something."

[ Edited by: beadtiki 2010-09-20 19:11 ]

Some very kool last-minute entries!!!

Kele- Sweet diorama! I had also looked at the Blue Footed Bobby for inspiration
lilusako- beautifully detailed Greater Bird of Paradise
Regan- that turned out so good! I'm thinking ornament for a nice white Panama hat :) (what was that about peyote :o )

MadDog took the words right otta me mouth. Wendy

Hey lilusako, that would make a bitchin' tattoo!

H
hewey posted on Tue, Sep 21, 2010 6:20 AM

Draw will be done in approx 24 hours :D

B

On 2010-09-20 20:04, MadDogMike wrote:
Some very kool last-minute entries!!!

Kele- Sweet diorama! I had also looked at the Blue Footed Bobby for inspiration
lilusako- beautifully detailed Greater Bird of Paradise
Regan- that turned out so good! I'm thinking ornament for a nice white Panama hat :) (what was that about peyote :o )

Thanks Mike - not THAT kind of peyote! I can't imagine what that bird would have looked like if I had been ON peyote! Cool.

So many wonderful items! Wonder which one will be coming to live with me? :)
~kele

Z

It's like the Carnival - every one a winner!
:D
~Zero

H
hewey posted on Wed, Sep 22, 2010 7:32 AM

Okay its 12:30am and I'm coming to the end of a stint doing 12 days straight at work so this is going to be short and sweet!

The swapping partners are:
TikiG & Tiki Baï
Mr Pennjones & Amybean
Tiki Lee's & Babalu
Zerostreet & tikiracer
Bongo Bungalow & beadtiki
ZeroTiki & danlovestikis
Mrs Pennjones & MadDogMike
AlohaStation & WaikikianMoeKele
Melekalikimaka & lilusako

Please PM your swap partner with your address, send your creation off in the post and keep an eye on the mailbox for your pressie :D And don’t forget to take a pic of your new artwork in its new home!

AWESOME!!!!! (I didn't know Pennjones was a Mrs. :blush: )

Hewey, great Swap as usual, thanks :D

cool - thanks for running the swap, it's great fun and I'm well chuffed [pleased] with my partner.

Nice job everyone.

The only question is ... what's the subject for the next one?

A

That went smoothly! Thanks again, Hewey. Hooray for the Birds of Paradise!

This is fate, ZeroTiki is my newest dearest tiki buddy. We just met at Oasis 10 and I autographed his jacket, now I'll have his autograph too. I love his painting and now we will be friends forever connected with our art. Ok Zero here comes the PM with my address. Wendy

PS Hewey it's time to start thinking up the next swap

Very cool. I look forward to having a few (or more) drinks at the Blue Footed Booby!

I would like to continue the animal theme for the next swap - this time maybe "imaginary creatures" or "slimey relatives"??

On 2010-09-22 08:12, tikiracer wrote:
cool - thanks for running the swap, it's great fun and I'm well chuffed [pleased] with my partner.

Nice job everyone.

The only question is ... what's the subject for the next one?

Same here TR! Sending you a PM now!

B

YAY! Happy, happy - PM sent Mr. Lee :)

Wow! Can't wait! It's going to be a few days until I get it out, but it will go out very soon! Congrats everyone, we're all winners! Thanks for the swap!

Oh and MadDogMike, I'm not a Mrs, you're swapping with my wife!

Z

YAY!
Wendy is the bestest!
PM coming
~Z.

On 2010-09-22 10:51, AlohaStation wrote:
Very cool. I look forward to having a few (or more) drinks at the Blue Footed Booby!

I would like to continue the animal theme for the next swap - this time maybe "imaginary creatures" or "slimey relatives"??

Aloha Aloha~
Just keep in mind that those drinks are very small! lol
I am eagerly looking forward to your artwork adorning my wall.
pm is on it's way...

These Art Swaps are the best! Like Christmas in September! :) :) :)
Mahalo nui loa to Hewey for setting it up & to everyone who participated too!
~kele

On 2010-09-22 13:27, pennjones wrote:
Oh and MadDogMike, I'm not a Mrs, you're swapping with my wife!

Careful there Pennjones, my wife and I aren't into the swinging lifestyle! :lol:

OK, I forgot there was 2 Pennjonses :blush: but that's cool 'cuz I get the superb Superb Fruit Dove - way cool also! I got the address, as soon as Renee makes her pick, I'll get it in the mail :)

T
TikiG posted on Wed, Sep 22, 2010 5:59 PM

Yay!! Tiki Bai!! PM sent

Cool- I'm a huge fan of Bai's art and stuff, so this first piece for my personal collection is special...

...plus two of my works crossing the Atlantic in trade is cool and fun. Paris will never be the same.

Thanks everybody for an exciting September swap. G

Z

Packed, and ready!

I am glad that my hornbill friend has such a great new buddy! YAY!
...uh, oh...the Lorikeets are getting jealous..

No, you can't go too, so there. Hey, what're you doing? Get back!! NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Visit Zerotiki!

( aah! a bird pecked me! )
/*************
[[[((8-0))]]]
The Super Secret Sigil of The Electric Tiki Society(tm)
(after being pecked by a bird)

[ Edited by: ZeroTiki 2010-09-22 20:25 ]

wow, Wow, WOW!!!

OMG!!! OMFG!!! OMGFGDGXQP!!!!

I can't believe it; BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABBBS!!!!!!!

(faints dead away)

B

I see you Bongo Bungalo! I'm gonna be off the internet for a few days as my home computer has bit the big one. I'm gonna miss all the great reactions!

This is so cool, I love the after the draw posts. Tiki Lee, I'm so happy for you buddy and all the rest of us too. Wendy

We were with the Loarkeets in Lodi yesterday, Dan took the photo.

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2010-09-23 09:40 ]

On 2010-09-23 08:14, beadtiki wrote:
I see you Bongo Bungalo! I'm gonna be off the internet for a few days as my home computer has bit the big one. I'm gonna miss all the great reactions!

And I'm just back from two and a half days travelin'. Very pleased to trade with you!

Z

Bumpetty!

Everyone knows what a wonderful guy MadDogMike is well he is also so generous to his friends. He wanted to give me a kiln warming present so he made a gift for me. It is based on the painting I did for this swap. I love it and Mike too. Wendy

It is a kiln plug for the viewing peephole.

:D

A

omg that is killer!!

Not only very nice of Mike, but a very cool piece!

MadDogMike can not be stopped. He's... unstoppable!

beautifil...and well deserved.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 370 replies