Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Waikiki Tiki; Art, History and Photographs OFFICIAL THREAD

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 504 replies

Aloha,

On 2011-02-16 11:58, JOHN-O wrote:
I know your objective was to graphically capture a part of Tiki history that was still relatively undocumented.

Well actually, my objective was to write the most beautiful book about Waikiki ever.

Waikiki Tiki; Art, History, and Photographs.
Available now from Bess Press Hawaii.

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2011-02-19 14:25 ]

Aloha,

The husk of the Trader Vic's at the International Market Place around 2001

Aloha,

I have been working very hard on my presentation for The Hukilau, so pleaase excuse me if I have been some what distracted. I promise something VERY special! :) More details soon.

Don Ho's Island Grill -- Aloha Tower Marketplace

Another wonderful review from... Librarything

“An immensely informative collection of pictures, stories, and history of the Ki'i - turned Tiki - of the Hawaiian Islands and the culture it subsequently sparked. Very well organized and wonderfully attractive. A welcome addition to an art or history book collection.”

“Nice book. Full of tiki pictures with an explanation of each photo. Recommended for anyone traveling to the islands. This book will add to your experience.”

I agree.

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2012-02-27 22:40 ]

Aloha,

Here's another outtake from the files! If you are coming to Hukilau, I think you'll enjoy my presentation. It's shaping up quite nicely!

Carved Warrior statue, 2nd Floor, Anna Banannas bar.

Aloha,

This Outtake is of magician John Hirokawa and his Moai escape trick. Magic of Polynesia is a good show! I didn't use it in Waikiki Tiki because it didn't come out very well. Instead, I used the Roberts Hawaii brochure...

Aloha,

Another outtake from Waikiki Tiki...

Tree stump Kapiolani and Pensacola about 2007.

Mahalo for looking!

Aloha,

Today's outtake from Waikiki Tiki is...

2007 Bacardi promotional tin sign at Moose's Lewers!

Aloha,

The Menehune King at the Hilton Hawaiian Village

Aloha, and Mahalo NUI LOA

Waikiki Tiki: Art, History and Photographs...

Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #119,614 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
#1 in Books > Arts & Photography > History & Criticism > Regional > Australia & Oceania

WOW.

Alternate Take. Brownlee carving and gable at the International Market Place Food Court

SO cool! Thank you, Phillip!
~kele

Aloha,

No worries. Everything is fine.

Aloha,

Booth at Lei day festivities, 2008. May Day is Lei Day in Hawaii. Mahalo Don Blanding.

Aloha!

Here's another carving at a Lei Day craft table in 2008.

Aloha,

A table of carvings at Artfest in Kapiolani Park

Aloha!

Polynesian Cultural Center, by one of the meeting rooms...

If you have not got your copy of Waikiki Tiki yet, I urge you to do so...

Amazon link. I'd be happy to sign it for you at The Hukilau after my really cool seminar - "A Celebration of the Tiki Age in Hawaii."

Aloha,

Another great day in paradise!

Another Outtake from Waikiki Tiki -- Polynesian Cultural Center courtyard.

Aloha,

This outtake is also from Laie. I wrote in my notes that they are benches in the courtyard of the PPC, rolled out and used for the mini-show.

Aloha,

Hope it's going well for you! I'm still working on my seminar for the Hukilau. It's shaping up great!

This outtake from Waikiki Tiki is a Marcus Thorn Maori carving outside of one of the Hawaii collector shows a few years back.

Aloha!

This is one of those things where two people stick their heads in, and the third person takes a photo at the Waikiki Shopping Plaza

Aloha,

Have you gotten your copy of Waikiki Tiki yet? Feel free to review it on Amazon! I appreciate you considering buying my book!

Located at the Waikiki Shopping Plaza, foam tiki fronting the 3rd floor arcade.

T

Love all of these outtake photos, Philip. Keep 'em comin'!

On 2011-04-05 15:08, Tobor64 wrote:
Love all of these outtake photos, Philip. Keep 'em comin'!

Mahalo Nui Loa Tobor! I am enjoying going through my archives. There was just so much I could fit into 263 pages...

I've saved a bunch of really swell things for my seminar "A celebration of the Tiki Age in Hawaii" at The Hukilau, too. Plus I just picked up some swell slides that I'm busy digitizing for that event. I really wish I'd had some of these to use in Waikiki Tiki. Some really quite amazing amateur slides... more details soon...

SO wish that I could attend the Hukilau & hear all you have to tell... But I REALLY appreciate what you are offering in Waikiki Tiki; Art, History and Photographs.
Maybe someday I can take those that I love back (for me) to Waikiki. Until then, your book helps us fill the void.

Aloha,

On 2011-04-06 19:14, WaikikianMoeKele wrote:
SO wish that I could attend the Hukilau & hear all you have to tell... But I REALLY appreciate what you are offering in Waikiki Tiki; Art, History and Photographs.
Maybe someday I can take those that I love back (for me) to Waikiki. Until then, your book helps us fill the void.

Thank You so very much!!! Quite inspiring!

Mauka (Toward Mountain) features Taro and Poi Pounder cast bronze by John Tanji Koga at Bishop Square

Phil... excellent book! Congrats!

It has been inspirational to me as well as enjoyable!

I will not be able to attend your seminar as I will be vending, but could I get my book signed at another time during Hukilau?

Aloha,

On 2011-04-07 21:54, Lake Surfer wrote:
Phil... excellent book! Congrats!

It has been inspirational to me as well as enjoyable!

I will not be able to attend your seminar as I will be vending, but could I get my book signed at another time during Hukilau?

Mahalo Nui Loa! Kind words! Of course Lake Surfer, I'd be happy to sign your book (or anyone else's book) anytime during the weekend!

Too bad you'll miss "A Celebration of the Tiki Age in Hawaii." It's gonna be swell with loads of previously unseen eye-candy and a super HUGE finale.

I will have my fountain pen, plenty of ink, and loads of time to enjoy the experience of the Hukilau. I want to meet people! It's planned that I will arrive from Hawaii sometime on Thursday and leave for Honolulu sometime on Sunday. (I'm still waiting for the details of my flights.)

I do suggest that people attending get a copy of Waikiki Tiki: Art, History and Photographs in advance (if they haven't already.) I will have a limited supply with me.

I'm hoping that the gift shop at the Mai Kai will order some from Bess Press so I can do a signing there. I'm probably hang out with my pals from The Waitiki 7 at their vending booth for a while too. I won't be hard to find. I also think Christie has suggested to the museum that they get some copies for sale.

Mahalo Phil!

I look forward to meeting you in person in June and maybe talk story a little!

Aloha,

On 2011-04-10 22:15, Lake Surfer wrote:
Mahalo Phil!

I look forward to meeting you in person in June and maybe talk story a little!

Totally!

Hey, the fine folks at Bess Press want everyone attending Hukilau to have a copy of the book, and are offering the following discount for a limited time only... 25% off PLUS FREE shipping... Go to the Besspress website and order today!!

We got ours at Kmart in Kailua-Kona last year. It is a great book. Note-the cover size is smaller than I imagined. For some reason I figured it was going to be about 8 by 11 inches. I was looking for that size book, and my wife found it in the small books! ZAZZ!

J

On 2011-03-28 21:56, Phillip Roberts wrote:
I'm still working on my seminar for the Hukilau. It's shaping up great!...

I just signed up for your presentation on Fri, Phillip.

I'm looking forward to it and hoisting a few with you at the Mai Kai !!

Aloha,

Thanks John-o !! I am so looking forward to the event... Glad you are coming and I'd be happy to do some drinking at the Mai-Kai...
I've only been there once before and it was a blast! Kern gave my party a behind the scenes tour that was wicked cool.

Hukilau is gonna be neat!

Aloha,

1/ Thanks to Tiki Magazine for reviewing Waikiki Tiki: Art, History and Photographs in their latest issue...

2/ I am proud that Waikiki Tiki has been nominated for a 2011 Ka Palapala Po'okela Book Award... May 6th is the award ceremony, but it's an honor simply to be nominated...

3/ Many Mahalos to Bess Press for stepping up with a big discount on Waikiki Tiki (For a limited time) so Hukilau atendees can get a copy in advance! 25% OFF Plus Free Shipping...

4/ Speaking about the Hukilau, my talk "A Celebration of the Tiki Age in Hawaii" is full of unpublished photos from around the islands and will be fun!

Aloha,

Here's that Tiki Magazine review... It's a good issue. I enjoyed reading it.

Aloha,

I still run into new thing to photograph... We went to play pool one night last week and behold...

Hawaiian Brian's Billards

Aloha,

And Happy Easter!!

Aloha,

Just a reminder, Bess Press has got a deal going on pre-Hukilau... I'm only going to carry a limited amount of books to Fort Lauderdale. My Hukilau talk, "A Celebration of the Tiki Age in Hawaii" is going to be swell. I've been collecting old tourist slides for many years now, but never got around to digitalizing them. I have now and honestly should have made more of a priority to get them done. There is some quite amazing stuff there that I could have and should have used in Waikiki Tiki. I'll post a few examples in the next few days. The slides range from the 50's to the early 70's and range the entire island chain. Anyhow, the seminar ought to be fun and I encourage you to consider spending an hour talking Waikiki Tiki at the Hukilau..

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2011-04-26 16:20 ]

Aloha,

Here's another slide that I digitized for my Hukilau presentation... These are going to look great on the big screen.

The slides are a great idea, Phillip! Wish that I could be there for your Hukilau presentation, I'm sure that it will be great!
~kele

Aloha,

On 2011-04-27 18:59, WaikikianMoeKele wrote:
The slides are a great idea, Phillip! Wish that I could be there for your Hukilau presentation, I'm sure that it will be great!
~kele

:) Thanks! Loads of vintage eyecandy will be seen as well as my shots from the neighbor islands that I have been saving in case of book II...

like...

This Moai from Kauai.

Aloha,

City of Refuge National Park, Main enclosure

Aloha!

Could this be the interior HULA HUT in Waikiki on Beachwalk next to the Hawaiiana Hotel? I am working my usual sources to confirm this idea. Until I find some one that can confirm or deny, I am going to say an unconfirmed YES. This is quite exciting since I have been looking for an interior shot of this palace for a long time. I also have a shot of the bar that I will post if I get a confirmation.

Due to circumstances beyond my control, My multi-media presentation and talk, "A Celebration of the Tiki Age in Hawaii," set for this year's Hukilau, is** CANCELLED. **

After a slide show of 1950's through the 1970's tourist slides from across the island chain and some current video of the islands, the big finale I was planning is AN actual 1956 audio recording of Donn "The Beachcomber" Beach introducing his "Feast of the Islands Luau" at Don the Beachcombers restaurant in Waikiki.

This rare audio was obtained (at great expense and trouble) from the archives of a defunct local radio station and is so clean you would swear you were there in person...

I am currently looking to move this seminar to another venue and time. Mahalo for your kokua, and thank you for your interest.

In the meantime, don't forget that my publisher, Bess Press had made a very nice limited time offer to you -- 25% off the book's price and FREE shipping. I urge you to pick up a copy of my well reviewed book, "Waikiki Tiki: Art, History and Photographs." I'm sure you will enjoy it.

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2011-05-17 14:43 ]

J
H

:( :( :( :( . Sorry to hear this Phillip, best of luck with everything.

Aloha,

Thanks Hiltiki...

Sorry John-O...

I was really looking forward to meeting the East Coast Ohana.

Aloha,

and after all that, back to the outtakes... Please stay tuned for an announcement on the seminar.

1956 Slide scan of Kamehameha Day

By the way, if you are in the Islands, please support The Waitiki 7 Hawaiian tour. I will be at Hawaiian Brian's...

Waikiki Tiki is nominated for a 2010 Ka Palapapa Pookela (Presented By
The Hawaii Book Publishers Association) award in 2 catagories. The awards ceremony takes place tomorrow night at the Mission Houses Museum and is open to the public.

It's an honor simply to be nominated, but please cross your fingers for me...

Mahalo...

H

Fingers are crossed, best of luck Phil. :)

On 2011-04-28 14:53, Phillip Roberts wrote:
Aloha,

Loads of vintage eyecandy will be seen as well as my shots from the neighbor islands that I have been saving in case of book II...

like...

This Moai from Kauai.

Nice. I can't wait to see this in person! Who knew?
http://www.hektor8.de/rockhouse/english.html

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 504 replies