Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Waikiki Tiki; Art, History and Photographs OFFICIAL THREAD

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 504 replies

On 2011-05-06 07:30, christiki295 wrote:

Who knew?

I did. There are two Moai there and a number of other carvings. At least there were last time I checked.

Waikiki Tiki was not a winner at last night's awards. More proof of a corrupt academy...

Sweet Daddy posted this shot in Bilge around 2003... See the tiki on the right? Totally different than the ones in Waikiki Tiki (about 167 pages in.) dated 1976. Were they changed every year? Must investigate...

Waikiki Tiki; Art, History, and Photographs.
Available now from Bess Press Hawaii.

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2013-04-07 01:26 ]

M

Waikiki Tiki was not a winner at last night's awards.
Sure it was, it'll always be a winner, it just didn't get a silly award.

Man, colossal lack of judgement in the cancellation of your seminar! It is truly pertinent to the Tiki movement, and extremely informative and fun. That walking tour you took us (Waitiki 7) on changed my whole outlook on Waikiki! Your knowledge is impressive, and the subject matter is, of course, of prime interest to this crowd. The photos in your book are great, and your documentation is impeccable.

Very much looking forward to reconnecting with you this next week, and the Hawaiian Brian's show will be awesome!

Z

I too am disappointed that this presentation was canceled. It's a topic that has not been shared at Hukilau but has significant relevance. There would not have been a better venue than Hukilau (or Oasis) to present this material.

Aloha,

Thanks guys. Well spoken. See you soon, Tim. I am looking forward to the Waitiki 7. Freddie, you should come to the show...

This Outtake is from upstairs at Arnold's

Aloha,

I got a very nice phone call today. I'll elaborate more later, but things are happening...

This outtake is in the floor of the Tropicaina Cafe in Punaluu. Good food too.

I'll be at the Hawaiian Brian's show of The Waitiki 7. I'm looking forward to it. I'll have a few copies of Waikiki Tiki with me if anyone would like to get an autographed one...

Aloha,

On 2011-05-11 11:33, lovelyrita wrote:
This is great! My step-dad would totally dig this!

Thank you Rita...

Here's a deal you can use to get it for him.

Aloha,

Hawaii Book and Music festival is this weekend. I'll be there signing books both days after 1PM at the Bess Press booth. I'd like to meet Sarah Vowell who will be in attendance. I enjoyed reading her book 'Unfamilar Fishes' and suggest it if you have not read it yet. It is a history of the independent Hawaiian nation before the overthrow and annexation.

Anyway...

Today's outtake from Waikiki Tiki is from the new Hard Rock Cafe - Honolulu on Beachwalk Street where the old 'Hula Hut' used to stand. It's not as Tiki-filled as the old one was, but here is this sweet short board...

By the way, to date, NO confirmed photo's of the interior of the 'Hula Hut' (Sven) have surfaced... I am told by oldtimers there were Tiki flanking the stage and am still searching... DC? Anyone?

M

I don't recall anyone here ever mentioning the notorious Tiki Torch bar which once stood during the late 80s in all it's faux fauna exterior and interior glory at 'the gateway to Waikiki'. City officials were constantly enraged at having a strip bar welcoming, I guess ANYBODY. It was always a hoot, tho I somehow don't recall seeing any tiki...

Aloha,

On 2011-05-14 11:15, msteeln wrote:
I don't recall anyone here ever mentioning the notorious Tiki Torch bar which once stood during the late 80s in all it's faux fauna exterior and interior glory at 'the gateway to Waikiki'. City officials were constantly enraged at having a strip bar welcoming, I guess ANYBODY. It was always a hoot, tho I somehow don't recall seeing any tiki...

I have heard some people talk in vague terms about some place like this, but I have no first hand information. I guess this means a trip to the microfilm archives at the library tomorrow. I don't imagine they would have advertised much, if at all.

No one's mentioned Hamburger Mary's on Kuhio either with their lauhala covered walls. I vaguely remember seeing some Tiki there in the early 1990's.

Kitchen entry at the Breaker's Restaurant in Haleiwa Town

I did go to the Hawaii Book and Music festival today and heard Sarah Vowell's talk. I found it interesting. I gave her a copy of "Waikiki Tiki."

Phillip:

Are you going to expand to any other islands for your next installment in what I hope will be a multi-part series?

M

On 2011-05-15 23:44, Phillip Roberts wrote:
Aloha,

I have heard some people talk in vague terms about some place like this, I don't imagine they would have advertised much, if at all.
They didn't need to, you'll probably find plenty of Advertiser stories of the City's consternations at the time. 'TT bar' was located at the Northern tip of Fort DeRussy at Kalakaua Ave., a vacant lot/car rental now, I think. It was a rockin' little scene back then on the edge of Waikiki with Gussie L'mours, The Hideaway, Eggs n Things, right across the street from the Torch. The last of the REALLY good town times.

Aloha,

I spoke to Sam Kapu, Jr. This morning and he had some interesting memories of the Tiki Torch bar too... I'll ask Harry B. Soria the next time I see him too. He is often a great source of information as well. The radio guys I come in contact with at work always have a tidbit to offer... I will still go and take a look at the microfilms and see what I can dig up... It's what I do.

Chris to answer your question, yes. It is in the planning stages.

mmmmm microfilm.... :)
~kele

A

On 2011-05-15 23:44, Phillip Roberts wrote:
No one's mentioned Hamburger Mary's on Kuhio either with their lauhala covered walls. I vaguely remember seeing some Tiki there in the early 1990's.

Here's a pic of Hamburger Mary's I scanned from a book a long time ago.

I didn't spot any tiki in this shot. But I was kinda curious since then if it still exists, and also what else they had for decor.

-Randy

M

Used to be nextdoor to the original Hulas on Kuhio. As notorious as the Torch, but for serving opposite persuasions. Moved nearer to Kap. Park a decade ago.

Aloha,

Actually Hulas moved. Hamburger Mary's just closed. It was about the same time that they bulldozed Canlis in the late 90's and built Nike Town.

M

Oh yes, it's all gone, along with the 1936 Kuhio Theater across the street, replaced by Nike Town, which now stands vacant. Where once stood character and personality, now is a greedy ghost town.

On 2011-05-16 14:53, Phillip Roberts wrote:
Aloha,

I spoke to Sam Kapu, Jr. This morning and he had some interesting memories of the Tiki Torch bar too... I'll ask Harry B. Soria the next time I see him too. He is often a great source of information as well. The radio guys I come in contact with at work always have a tidbit to offer... I will still go and take a look at the microfilms and see what I can dig up... It's what I do.

Chris to answer your question, yes. It is in the planning stages.

Mahalo!

Aloha,

Hawaii artist Dennis Matthewson enjoys his copy of Waikiki Tiki

Aloha,

Here's another outtake...

Freaky Tiki Optical's newest shop in the Outrigger Waikiki.

Aloha,

On 2011-05-16 15:51, WaikikianMoeKele wrote:
mmmmm microfilm.... :)
~kele

Microfilm is good, but can occasionally be scratchy...

It depends what your looking at and how often the reel's been viewed previously. Plus the scan machine at the library takes a long time to master... How did we ever do it in the pre-computer age?

Aloha,

I can't quite remember the name of this place. Around 2008, it was downtown in that triangular building that they tore down to be a parking lot at King near Bishop and lasted about six months. They had live music upstairs and thai food.

Aloha,

Shopping one afternoon at Fort Street Mall.

Things are well. I had an vibrant talk with Sam Kapu, Jr. this morning and he pointed me in an interesting direction...

If you haven't gotten a copy of my book, "Waikiki Tiki: Art, History and Photographs" it is on Amazon. It can also be had at the Bess Press website

Be sure to look at some of the other titles like...

"Arts and Crafts of Micronesia"

I enjoyed reading that one a great deal and it helped me identify a warclub I own.

best,

Phillip

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2011-05-31 18:29 ]

Aloha,

Good things coming... Please watch this thread for an announcement soon.

In the meantime...another outtake from Waikiki Tiki...

Outside of Don Ho's Island Grill at the Aloha Tower Market Place

I didn't use this shot in the book, (nor the photograph I'd intended to use) for some reason. I did use some shots of the carvings at the bar which I liked better and told a story of their own. This is an alternative angle of Aloha Tower, empty and looking maulka. I'll have to look for the other one, but it shows Japanese visitors examining the tiki quite closely.

Aloha,

A different angle of the Travana carved bench that was outside of the Hawaiian Hut.

Darn, I miss that place. Hard to believe it's been 2 years since it's closed.

M

The Hut was fun, last show I saw there was a ripping set by the great Commander Cody, w/Dave Zirbel on steel.

BTW, PR, the Aku Bone is pau.

Aloha,

On 2011-06-03 17:12, msteeln wrote:
BTW, the Aku Bone is pau.

Oh, that is unfortunate, but at least it had a nice run.

Aloha,

If you've been waiting for a good excuse to get a copy of Waikiki Tiki, here are 10...

1. It's the perfect size to take along anywhere this summer and jammed to the gills with Tiki
    photographs you won't see anywhere else. Over 3000 Tiki are crammed into 263 pages.

2. "Waikiki Tiki: Art, History and Photographs" is quite well reviewed by Tiki Magazine, the
    Honolulu Star-Advertiser, and the on-line world.

3. It fills a big gap in your Tiki book collection and will look great on your coffee table or in your book shelf. Plus,
    you were going to get it "...sometime soon anyway..."

4. It's made out of recycled paper so in a way you are doing something good for the environment.

5. It's still got that "fresh book smell" and is still a first edition printing.

6. I'd be happy to sign it for you. If not now, later.

7. Waikiki Tiki costs less than a movie night for 2 and will last longer.

8. There is a great deal of information in there about Waikiki, Hawaii and Tiki. This book was written for you.

9. .
    The discount coupon still works even though I won't be presenting my seminar at Hukilau. Enter "Tiki25"
    at checkout when ordering from the Bess Press website. 25% off and FREE Shipping. That's 17 bucks
    and change. You got more than that in your couch cushions.

10. I'd REALLY appreciate it.

Aloha,

From outside of the Hawaiian Hut to the outside of La Mariana Sailing Club and Hideaway Bar.

I saw a food truck drive by today that I'm going to track down. It had a nice paint job. And by "nice" I mean Tiki.

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2011-06-08 19:03 ]

Aloha,

I hope everyone had a plesant and safe Kamehameha Day 2011.

After work this morning I went by the Kamehameha Day Floral parade.

M

I sure did! Went out to Waialua for the quasi-annual confluence of Roshan's birthday celebration http://www.myspace.com/roshanandshivani and another incredible reunion of the sorely missed Sugar Bar, with over 9 steady hrs. of former, but always awesome, bands/workers/patrons respectfully grooving in typicaly high spirits. It always starts off hot and just increases in intensity, thanx to the professional but laid-back attitudes/abilities of all involved. Like many a lucky listening outsider said afterwards, "you guy's really know how to party!". At curfew (barely) we left the idyllic North Shore park's enclosure spotlessly clean, and nobody got hurt.

Aloha,

Participant in the floral parade.

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2011-06-16 10:11 ]

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2012-03-04 17:44 ]

On 2011-06-13 23:20, Phillip Roberts wrote:
Aloha,

Participant in the floral parade.

The NRA goes Tiki in Hawaii?

M

Nah, that's just typical Kalihi Valley wear.

Aloha,

I was just talking Waikiki Tiki on the Perry and Price morning show. That was a super fun 5 minutes with about 100,000 listeners. :)

Aloha,

Haleiwa Shopping Center

It's going well. Hope it all is with you. I had a great weekend and found some new things to photograph.

Aloha,

Today's outtake...

Another side of the mural on the restroom at Sandy Beach.

Hey, where's the Tiki? On another side of the structure that's documented in Waikiki Tiki: Art, History and Photographs standing with Duke Kahanamoku. But you already have the book, so you know that.

On 2011-06-15 13:52, msteeln wrote:

Nah, that's just typical Kalihi Valley wear.

A call to arms against whom?
Being overrun with tourists?
Federal government using eminent domain for the formerly King's lands?
Faceless corporations who take the land for golf courses and then hire freshly-scrubbed Haole kids from the mainland, as opposed to Ohana (no better example than Duke's)

On 2011-06-14 22:38, Phillip Roberts wrote:
Aloha.

Please help me sell 100 copies in the next 30 days.

best,

Phillip

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2011-06-16 10:11 ]

GOT MINE YESTERDAY!!!!!!!

Aloha,

On 2011-06-23 09:08, SoccerTiki wrote:

GOT MINE YESTERDAY!!!!!!!

Mahalo! I hope you and Whoo Hoo are enjoying it!

Aloha,

This gentleman, was sent (or had smuggled in) a copy to the facility he is presently in. I do like his art.

Aloha,

It's a beautiful Sunday in the islands!

There's something about the early morning light at the International Market Place. 2nd Level near the Treehouse Cafe.

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2011-06-26 15:16 ]

On 2011-06-26 15:16, Phillip Roberts wrote:
Aloha,

It's a beautiful Sunday in the islands!

There's something about the early morning light at the International Market Place. 2nd Level near the Treehouse Cafe.

Not the traditional Tiki one might hope for, but I love it all the same.

Aloha,

I hope everybody has a swell long weekend. I have a few people in town, so it'll be fun filled and full of exotic drinks!

J
JOHN-O posted on Fri, Jul 1, 2011 9:40 AM

Drum roll...

I'm waiting for the big announcement. :)

Big announcement please !!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 504 replies