Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Waikiki Tiki; Art, History and Photographs OFFICIAL THREAD

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 504 replies

Ah, it was probably already announced on Facebook.
:roll:

Jeff(btd)

Aloha,

On 2011-07-01 21:53, bigtikidude wrote:
Ah, it was probably already announced on Facebook.
:roll:

I don't think it has been. But "it" is coming soon...

Aloha,

Just getting a few details set for the event, and then all good for the announcement.

New mural on the building next to the Fresh Cafe on Queen Street.

Is that supposed to be a Lion, or a Tiki Head?

or a clown?
:o

Jeff(btd)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2011-07-05 21:25 ]

Aloha,

On 2011-07-05 21:25, bigtikidude wrote:
Is that supposed to be a Lion, or a Tiki Head? or a clown?

I didn't paint it, so I don't know what the artist's intent was. I just saw it and took a snap to share. I think there is another Tiki in profile on the left.

On 2011-07-06 19:25, Phillip Roberts wrote:
Aloha,

I didn't paint it, so I don't know what the artist's intent was.
I just saw it and took a snap to share.
I think there is another Tiki in profile on the left.

I think you could be right, about that possibly being
A tiki to the left.
:o :wink:
Jeff btd

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2011-07-06 22:29 ]

H

Great book. But you are also one hell of a great promoter! Good combo.

Aloha,

Thanks...

So we announced today, an I will be premiering my talk and slideshow at Don the Beachcomber's in Huntington Beach September 4th. I'm excited.

Best,

Phillip

Aloha,

I left several things out of Waikiki Tiki despite them being cool.

This is on Lemon Street.

If you come to see me at Don the Beachcomber's in September, you'll see lots of pictures I think are rad.

Aloha,

A friend called me the other day. He had to do some work on the west side and wanted to show me something.

He's done some glass etching for a client out there and after deliveing it, had seen some chainsaw carvings in a yard. Asking the wife, it was explained that the husband was a tree trimmer. He wasn't home at the time and my pal made a mental note to call me the next time he was supposed to go out...

This time, when we knocked on the door, the husband was home on a rare day off, and showed us plenty on his property. Mr. Johnson was quite the character, but I'll post a few pics now and a few later...

Some stuff by his shed.

And this OLDER carved 4 footer... and more pics and story to follow...

Hey, by the was keep September 4th Open if you will be near LA. I'm coming to town with a dynamite presentation I call "A Celebration of the Tiki Age in Hawaii." I'm going to show it One Night Only at Don the Beachcombers in Huntington Beach for an intimate crowd. Luau buffett, Smoking Menehunes and a long interesting presentation of vintage slides, original photographs, and talk by me. Oh, also, you'll HEAR the Voice of Donn Beach.

Aloha,

So some more things, Mr. Johnson had laying around were some of his stone work.

I guess he did it with acid. He said he'd gone and sketched the art from the Bishop Museum.

aloha,

Mister Johnson had great pleasure in showing me this coral carving...

...Said the teeth were from his dogs.

Waikiki Tiki; Art, History, and Photographs.
Available now from Bess Press Hawaii.

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2011-07-20 21:34 ]

Aloha,

Mister Johnson shows us one of his coral carvings. He's a really nice guy.

Tickets go on sale soon for "A Celebration of the Tiki Age in Hawaii." One night only, 9/4/11 at Don the Beachcomber's in Huntington Beach. I'm stoked!

Aloha! Coming to LA!!! Got a great show planned. lots a friends helping out! more details on the events page. 9/4/11 Don the BEACHCOMBER. Quite excited!

Aloha!

This outtake is one of the 300+ images in "A Celebration of the Tiki Age in Hawaii." I keep adding little details and spice to the presentation full of more (mostly not used in the book) great eye candy. If you are near LA 9/4/11, I'd love to see you at Don the Beachcomber in Huntington Beach. Many good friends are helping out with this event, and it is going to be loads fun.

Polynesian Cultural Center circa 1968 as the Tourist's camera saw it that day

Aloha,

Things are great! The event at Don the Beachcomber is a GO for September 4th! It's looking like it will be a lively discussion and quite well attended. There are limited seats available.

The book is available at Amazon

There are even some new reviews there. I appreciate that! A few more of the locations pictured in the book have ceased to exist and that's the history I was trying to document.

Cheeseburger, Waikiki on Kalakaua is a vast improvement from the Sizzler restaurant that was there before.

TS

It took awhile to get my copy of Waikiki Tiki but it was worth the wait! Great book. The first copy got lost to the Tiki Mail Gods and I received an empty box with a note from the USPS stating the box was found empty...um yeah. BUT...even before that when I inquired as to the expected arival date of my first book, David Stewart at Bess Press discovered that the tracking number showed it was still out in the ether somewhere. David immediately sent me another and it arrived in one Tikilisious piece.
Mahalos Kavika (David) for the help. I think everyone should have this book in their Tiki room.
Tiki Slob...

Aloha,

On 2011-08-02 14:32, Tiki Slob wrote:
It took awhile to get my copy of Waikiki Tiki but it was worth the wait! Great book. The first copy got lost to the Tiki Mail Gods. I think everyone should have this book in their Tiki room.

Mahalo for the kind words about Waikiki Tiki, TS!

Dave is a great guy! I actually spoke to him for a second yesterday and he didn't mention it. I'll show him your post!

Aloha,

Wow. Really buzy, working on the presentation for Don the Beachcomber on 9/4/11 and making it better. I am quite looking forward to it and seeing some great friends. It's going to be quite a special night!

You've seen the Marquesan at the Blaisdale Arena if you bought "Waikiki Tiki." Here's another bit of Iconography there, a Hawaiian warrior's helmet!

M

Blaisdale Arena
Formerly the Honolulu International Center, site of Elvis' famous internationally live broadcasted concert (the first ever) '72, and Jimi's last American concert in '70. Not pro recorded, one of his best w/Billy/Mitch.

Aloha,

On 2011-08-09 23:02, msteeln wrote:

Blaisdale Arena
Formerly the Honolulu International Center

Yes, true. The HIC hosted that event and many others.

A front yard in Palolo Valley

Things are going well... Getting ready for the LA Trip. Spending loads of time in the library scannning microfilm...and adding little bits to my presentation, A Celebration of the Tiki Age in Hawaii. It's going to be quite fun!! Meet me at Don's and get a book signed!

Ah, I love the smell of microfilm in the morning!

Get the book from Amazon here

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2011-08-12 17:28 ]

Aloha,

Trader Vic

I hear tickets are going fast for the "Celebration of the Tiki Age in Hawaii." That's a good thing! I'm really quite excited to be in LA over the labor day weekend to present some really sweet and unseen content.

I wish I was going to Tiki Oasis! However, it's not possible...but let me post an image in support of OTTO! Also Good Luck SWANKY! Knock 'em dead like I know you will.

These won't be used in my presentation at Don the Beachcomber on September 4th...

I couldn't get the quality that I demand out of these on the endless reels of microfilm I've been reading in preparation for my talk. Some scans work, some don't.

Mariachi performers at the Ilikai Hotel about 1967. Mexico and Tiki seem to mix fine!

HOK

2 great authors, one great bar...

Phillip and Jeff "BeachBum" Berry at La Mariana

Aloha!

Another swell scan I couldn't get to look better, so it doesn't make the slideshow.

Aloha,

Another wonderful scan that cannot be cleaned up to my standards at this time...

From the Queen's Surf Gardens and moved to the Hawaiian Hut.

I WILL deliver everything I have promised at Don The Beachcomber in Huntington Beach for the first time EVER (and perhaps the only time,) on September 4, 2011. Incredible eyecandy, sharp commentary, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, YOU will HEAR for yourself the actual, verified, VOICE OF DONN "Don the Beachcomber" BEACH at his 1957-8 Sunday Feast of the Islands LUAU.

I challenge ANYONE ELSE in the WORLD to provide this exact AUDIO. Come to my event and ONLY you will hear him speak. I played this clip for Jeff "Beachbum" Berry and he was FLOORED.

To hear Donn's voice, (OUR HERO) and the genesis of all of this Tiki stuff we NOW know, respect, and love, is quite AMAZINGLY INCREDIBLE. I don't really know how else to tell you HOW IMPORTANT these few minutes of AUDIO are from a historical standpoint. You must be at this Event.

'nuff said,

best,

Phillip

Aloha,

Hope you are coming to the show if you are in LA over the labor day weekend!

SO wish that I could be there to watch your fantastic show, Phillip!!!!
~wmkele

Aloha,

On 2011-08-30 20:04, WaikikianMoeKele wrote:
SO wish that I could be there to watch your fantastic show, Phillip!!!!
~wmkele

Mahalo Kele. You will be missed. Your love of all things Waikikian is well known.

I don't really think this A-frame ever existed. Just a figment of a tiki-infused art director caught up in the Tiki Age of Hawaii?

Amazon has my book for sale, here

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2011-08-30 22:48 ]

Aloha,

Hula Cafe on Kapahulu.

Counting down! 4 Days until I present my show at Don the Beachcomber. It is going to be a doozy! Don't miss it!

Aloha,

It's going to be an EVENT LOS ANGELES Tiki people. I hope to see you there!

Aloha,

Great times with the LA Ohana continue tomorrow night as I present "A Celebration of the Tiki Age In Hawaii"

[info Here... [\url]Some seating is still available.

This might be your only chance to hear the BEACHCOMBER speak. EVER. If you like Tiki, History, and
Photographs, you must be there!

Great stuff. Interesting conversation. Dinner and the Smokin' Menehunes! All inclusive. Get a book,
Or get one signed! I'd love to meet you.

Best,

Phillip

Available now from [url=http://besspress.com/]Bess Press Hawaii.](http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=161245137280584)

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2011-09-04 09:17 ]

Aloha,

Smokin' Menehunes are playing, folks are drink in', ready to put on a swell show! Tickets are available at the door! Come on Down to Don the Beachcomber in Huntington Beach!

Aloha,

The show was wonderful! Good Times and great friends, old and new. If you were not able to attend last night, I will be at Don's tonight with some books for sale. If you have one you'd like to get signed, please come by. I will play the voice of Donn Beach for your ears only!

Best,

Phillip

Aloha

This was an awesome event. I delivered EVERYTING I promised and no one lost any money. Plus raised $200 plus for the charity. Mahalo NUI LOA!

Congratulations, Phillip! I'm sure it was awesome!
~kele

Aloha,

Yup was a swell event! Thanks Kele...

This outtake is the Treetop restaurant overlooking Paradise Park and some Boy and Girls day presents near a nicely carved small tiki. See Waikiki Tiki for the BIG guy in the back room and more of Paradise Park.

Aloha,

Do you own the book yet? You should! All the A+ vintage and contemporary images are there. Please review it if you own a copy! I enjoy feedback.

This image was not able to be cleaned up to my standards, yet the historical importance is important enough to share. From about 1968.

best,

Phillip

Aloha,

I'm doing a tour for one of our California ohana on Friday. That makes me happy.

Yet, sometimes in these stressful days, I enjoy going to the Bishop Museum, contemplating about life and things. Today was one of those, where I sat quietly looking upon this idol for about an hour.

best,

Phillip

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2011-09-21 20:56 ]

They're going to have a great time I'm sure!

Aloha

On 2011-09-22 17:00, SoccerTiki wrote:
They're going to have a great time I'm sure!

Actually we saw SOMETHING truly AMAZING.

As we passed the Hawaiiana Hotel, workmen were re-installing a Tiki into it's original hole. They had found it in a back storage room. It is now proudly again standing at the entrance of the hotel (Now being used for student housing, btw).

They also gave us some wood bits shaved from the base to make it fit. I'm not home, but when I get back I will post a picture.

Also btw, Tiki's Grill and Bar where I am right now, has TWO new SWEET MUGS.

Best,

Phillip

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2011-09-23 18:43 ]

H

Phil, I got the purple color large new mug from Tiki's Grill and Bar, quiet nice.

Aloha,

I sure like the green one they got Hiltiki! I'll be adding those to my quite focused collection soon. I was just invited to the Tiki's Grill and Bar 9th Anniversary party next month!!

Aloha,

I got a new quote from Jeff "Beachbum" Berry about "Waikiki Tiki: Art, History and Photographs"

"Page after page of Hawaiian eye candy ... thanks to Phillip S. Roberts, now the armchair Tiki traveler can finally take that island vacation through time."

Mahalo Jeff!

Aloha,

One Year Old Today!!

That was my first glimpse! Mahalo Nui LOA to everyone at Tiki Central!

Bess Press website

T

On 2011-09-23 18:41, Phillip Roberts wrote:
Actually we saw SOMETHING truly AMAZING.

As we passed the Hawaiiana Hotel, workmen were re-installing a Tiki into it's original hole. They had found it in a back storage room. It is now proudly again standing at the entrance of the hotel (Now being used for student housing, btw).

They also gave us some wood bits shaved from the base to make it fit. I'm not home, but when I get back I will post a picture.

Also btw, Tiki's Grill and Bar where I am right now, has TWO new SWEET MUGS.

Best,

Phillip

I'm still in the process of editing those pix, Phillip, but I should have them up soon. As soon as I stepped off the plane in L.A. I was buried under a tsunami of work.

I didn't realize that "Pele's Wrath" mug at Tiki's was a new one. Glad one of them came home with me (not my video but you can see this bubbling beauty of a cocktail in action here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X8ONI-1JgI)

Mahalo again for giving up your afternoon to take me on your Tiki Trek. A lot of great sites!

Aloha,

On 2011-10-02 16:49, Tobor64 wrote:
Mahalo again for giving up your afternoon to take me on your Tiki Trek. A lot of great sites!

No worries. Was a LOT of Fun! And there's more for your next trip that we just didn't get around too. I'm having some computer problems at home or I'd have posted them by now...

[ Edited by: phillip roberts 2011-10-07 10:12 ]

Aloha,

Here's another shot of the huge metal Tiki at 'The Canoe House,' at the Ilikai Hotel circa 1968!

I'll be giving some more tours later in the month! If you are coming to town, I'd be happy to meet up with you!

Get the Book at Amazon!

Aloha,

Here are the new mugs from Tiki's Grill in situ...

I think they are done by a company called Specialty Glass...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 504 replies