Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Waikiki Tiki; Art, History and Photographs OFFICIAL THREAD

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 504 replies

K

Thought this was a great shot from our tiki tour. Thanks again Phillip!

Aloha,

On 2011-10-11 11:29, Koitiki wrote:
Thought this was a great shot from our tiki tour.

Thanks Julie!

I've always wondered if that stone/cement Maori-influenced piece at the International Market Place might be an Eli Headley work. It used to be by the banyan tree at the Food Court, but was moved after the root growth threatened to tip it over. Ben?

On another subject, we've lost another... Freddie saw an ad on Craigslist with this photo and a price on the carving that had once been the 'Honalua Surf' shop at the Outrigger. It had spent it's last few years in the beach access alley and you can see it in Waikiki Tiki... Also, I have no idea who the model is...

I checked it out Sunday, and GONE, Daddy GONE. :(

Man that is one bad photoshoped pic :lol:

HOK

That one should be in Geckos' yard by this weekend....all is not lost....yet! :o) Freddie

Aloha,

On 2011-10-14 01:46, HOUSE OF KU wrote:
That one should be in Geckos' yard by this weekend....all is not lost....yet!

Well, that is good news. Still it's one less I get to show on tours :( !
Get a copy of Waikiki Tiki from Amazon

Waikiki Tiki; Art, History, and Photographs.
Available now from Bess Press Hawaii.

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2011-10-19 15:47 ]

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2011-10-19 15:49 ]

Aloha!

So, I'm browsing the internet and I come across these great shots of a Tiki shop of this JGKlein dad's photos from 1959!

And this cool shot of Hilo in 1959

From a 1963 English shop window ceramic display...What's that under the table?

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2011-10-28 09:41 ]

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2011-10-28 09:43 ]

Aloha,

Someone bought a book yesterday and even though I don't know exactly who, I just want to say thanks!

I just picked up my copy late Thursday afternoon at Hilo Hattie - 700 N. Nimitz, enroute to HNL and headed back to the mainland/ East Coast. A delightful read and marvelous photographs...kept me glued in wonderment all the way home!

:tiki: Nice work Phillip, ALOHA! :tiki:

Aloha,

Mahalo Nui Loa!! Nice comments! Next time you are in town, please drop me a line and we'll meet up for a drink!

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2011-11-05 16:50 ]

RB

Just booked a long overdue trip to Waikiki next March, and will definitely bring my book with me!

Aloha,

Excellent! looking forward to it! I'm off to La Mariana tonight with visitors. Thursday night is the best night to go because of the Tahitian Lanai singers!

Aloha,

Sigh...

Pacific Business News

DISLIKE!!!

That monstrosity is going to blend in like a red dress at a funeral. I'm going to have to make extra sure I spend some time there in December and really soak it up.

Aloha,

On 2011-11-05 23:22, GraniteWahine wrote:
DISLIKE!!!

That monstrosity is going to blend in like a red dress at a funeral. I'm going to have to make extra sure I spend some time there in December and really soak it up.

I took a journalist around the International Market Place ealier in the week and he showed me some thing swell I hadn't seen before. Because of APEC, I have not gotten back to document it, but will soon. Looking forward to your arrival.

best.

Phillip

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2011-11-09 01:21 ]

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2011-11-11 10:41 ]

Aloha!

Moped is a good way to get around!

Aloha,

On 2011-10-02 16:49, Tobor64 wrote:
I'm still in the process of editing those pix, Phillip, but I should have them up soon. As soon as I stepped off the plane in L.A. I was buried under a tsunami of work.

Mahalo again for giving up your afternoon to take me on your Tiki Trek. A lot of great sites!

Here is the restored Tiki at the Hawaiiana. I'm sure Tabor64 has others, but I wanted to post this shot before I forgot. What a superb moment it was to see it going back in!!

Aloha,

Even though the Waikiki Tiki: Art, History and Photographs is out and doing quite well, there is always more research to be done...

I was looking over some old files in my hard drive and while they weren't the quality I was looking for to use in my project, (These come from scans of a Paradise of the Pacific Magazine from the 1950's.) They are of some historical importance...

To catch you up in case you haven't got a copy of Waikiki Tiki yet (Or "Sipping Safari" -Beachbum Berry's awesome book) Island wood Carver Edward M. Brownlee, is best known for his work at the Canlis' Charcoal Broiler, Waikikian Hotel / Tahitian Lanai as well as the International Market Place and the Aku Aku in Las Vegas. But there's another place from that era I'd somehow overlooked... The Matson Navigation Ticket office in Waikiki!

Matson Navigation back in the day was sailing the Lurline and other ships to the islands, but they also built and owned Hotels like the Royal Hawaiian (1882). During World War II, their luxury liners were conscripted as troop carriers and the Royal pressed in to service as a Navy recreational property. After the War, business got somewhat back to normal, but competition from Jet airplane service caused the company to rethink their plans. They sold their hotels and concentrated on shipping goods to the islands.

Check out the Mortlock Mask, and the Brownlee carving on the wall! Let's get a better look at that Lono.

Dang! Edward did some fine work, eh?

Mask? Well, not technically. (Masks are worn and have eyeholes. Bad writing in the caption! It's obviously a temple image.)

OK, one more and this one is pretty darn swell! Gracefull lines.

So anymore images, I'd like to see them. Dustycajun? Sven? Jeff? Sabu? Anyone? Thoughts?

best,

Phillip

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2011-11-16 20:56 ]

Aloha,

This outtake is a different angle of the storyboard at La Mariana. It's hard to see these days because of the addition of some glass floats in front!

I can't take this anymore. Enough is enough!!!

Phillip, you update this thread every 3 days like clockwork to keep this post alive.

We all know your book is out and available online and at the ABC stores in Waikiki. This thread is 24 pages long of advertisements!

Stop being so cheap and pay for an advertisemnt banner on TC if you have to keep getting the word out instead of dredging up this damn thread all the time.

We've seen enough of the 'outtakes', just let this thread die!

I agree with Zulu,

Most of us have the book already, Either buy a banner or start showing previews of book # 2 if there is one in the works. If the outtakes weren't worth putting in the book they aren't worth posting here.

Not trying to get anyone riled up but Zulu Magoo is right.

Aloha Zulumagoo and Bora Boris,

Well, I'm sorry you both feel that way about this thread. Allow me address your general points. Discussion is good and Tiki Central is THE place to talk about Tiki.

I am proud of the book and am glad you got copies. While people might be aware of it, I don't think that everybody does own it. Traveling Jones for instance just picked it up during their last trip here less than 21 days ago at "Hilo Hatties."

BTW, I do not make marketing decisions such as "buying banners." The book company does.

Just because something didn't make it into the book, doesn't mean it wasn't worthy nor shouldn't be posted. The storyboard at "La Mariana" for instance. You can see much more detail of it than in the photo used in Waikiki Tiki.

I enjoy posting about the current state of Tiki in Waikiki and think some of the people coming here enjoy the thread. We have over 12,000 registered members here on Tiki Central and many lurkers. Read the thread or don't. It's your choice.

I think that pictures of long gone places like the Matson Ticket Office in Waikiki and the threatened Edward M. Brownlee carvings at the International Market Place ARE important. I think it's magical when a tiki carving taken down in 2009 is then found by workers in a forgotten shed and restored to the front of the Hawaiiana Hotel. The fact that some artifacts from The Hawaiian Hut have migrated to Sand Islands La Mariana is cool. When the Tiki at the Shave Ice Stand in the Beach Access lane between The Royal Hawaiian Center and The Outrigger Waikiki shows up on Craigslist and then disappears, I should post about it. When a journalist and I walk around and he points out something NEAT that I've never seen at the International Market Place, I want to tell people. When Tiki Central people come to town, I'm happy to show them things and play the VOICE of Don the Beachcomber.

best,

Phillip

M

Awww, a coupl'a grumpy gus' can't rain this thread out, it's quite enjoyable and a good backstory to the book. If one doesn't like it, don't tune in.

H

I also enjoy looking at this thread regardless of the fact that I have the book.

I'm with Phil!! If you are bothered by this thread you really need to get out of the house and off your your computer.

M

Aloha,

Yes I do. It's the Tahitain Lanai drum being discussed on this Tahitian Lanai thread that Freddie saw at the Flea Market and is now on ebay! Now, we know the name of the band "John Norris and the NEW ORLEANS JAZZ BAND OF HAWAII." I only wish I could see the shirts better. They look Awfully FAMILAR. A better shot taken on Duke Kahanamoku beach at the Hilton in the background.

1967ish?

From HIS Obit in 2002 from the Star Bulletin...

John Norris, the Hawaii musician revered as the leader and keeper of the flame of the New Orleans Jazz Band, died at home Friday. He was 85.

"It was a good death; he died at home listening to music, and we all spent a lot of time with him," said his daughter Kathleen Norris.

Norris died with his family around him after a six-year battle with a form of degenerative anemia.

"He'd been doing pretty well up until about two weeks ago when he had to go to the hospital for a while, but we were determined to bring him home. He knew he was home, and he was making jokes until almost right up to the end. He asked for a gin and tonic in the ICU," she said.

Norris touched many in Hawaii since he came here with his family in 1959. As an educator, Norris shared his love of music with uncounted thousands of students in Hawaii's public schools. As an unflinching advocate of social justice and outspoken critic of some aspects of American foreign policy, Norris stood up and was counted at a time when many found it expedient to remain silent and duck. He was one of the first people not at risk of doing time in Vietnam to question the official rationale for the American military presence there.

In later years, Norris became the indefatigable editor of a newsletter that combined coverage of the national Dixieland jazz underground with political pieces on American foreign and domestic policy.

Born on Nov. 17, 1916, in Wallace, W.Va., Norris grew up in South Dakota, and received a bachelor of arts degree in music from Northwestern University. Norris was in some respects a romantic; he persuaded Lois Totten to elope in 1938 and they were married on July 17. Norris was teaching music in South Dakota when he was drafted in 1943, and it was as a Navy musician that he came to Hawaii for the first time near the end of World War II. He returned with his family in 1959 to assume the post of Navy bandmaster at Pearl Harbor.

Norris shared his musical talents with the civilian community as well. He played cello with the Honolulu Symphony and was also the choir director of the First Methodist Church.

He retired here in 1969 with the rank of chief warrant officer.

Kathleen Norris said her father was already planning to retire when a local newspaper ran a photo of him attending a Church of the Crossroads board meeting in his naval uniform. The church was a center of anti-Vietnam War activities and had given sanctuary to several American servicemen who objected to the war for political or philosophical grounds. Kathleen Norris says the military authorities weren't happy with her father's position as the head of the church board and "sort of urged him" to retire sooner rather than later, and so he did.

Norris then embarked on several new careers. He enrolled in the University of Hawaii, got a degree in special education and spent several years teaching special ed classes for the state Department of Education. He then began teaching music in public schools in rural Oahu.

Norris got into local entertainment playing cornet for Trummy Young at the original Garden Bar in the Hilton Hawaiian Village. When Young decided to retire from the Sunday afternoon event, he invited Norris to take over the band, and the New Orleans Jazz Band was born. With Norris leading a constellation of talented musicians, the New Orleans Jazz Band was a Sunday afternoon hit for years at the Garden Bar.

"He had a lot of regulars -- a lot of locals, and a lot of visitors who would schedule their trips to come and dance," Kathleen Norris said.

John Norris is also survived by wife Lois, son John T., daughters Rebecca and Charlotte, and four grandchildren.

Aloha,

Walking around the International Market Place has always been a pleasure! On a recent trip, walking around with a journalist doing a story on Tiki, I noticed a few thing's to come back to document...

Some new paint on one of the Brownlee carvings at the Food Court really makes it pop out!

But the biggest surpise was after showing him the lava fijian chair, he points up into the banyan where Donn's Tree house for two was located and says "Hey, what's that one?"

I'd never seen it before in all my tours. You can still see a hint of the original color.

So a week later, when I got back to photograph it, I thought, where there's one there's usually another. So I spent a little extra time inspecting trunks of the exceptional Banyan...

Amazing, even after all these years the old girl continues to give... I'll have another looksee later today!

Wow, so cool to find something new (of course, it's actually something old, but I think you know what I mean!)
~kele

M

It's been there so long the tree is growing around the piece, cool!

Aloha,

Thanks!! I hope everybody had a nice holiday! More exploration yesterday.

This one is deep in the heart of the banyan... I crawled behind the chief chair where they keep the pump for the waterfall. I couldn't get a better shot. :(

However, this one is hiding in plain view... I'm pretty sure 'ole one eye' is a Brownlee original.

Wow! I wish I'd seen it in time to put in Waikiki Tiki...

Aloha,

I would like to say something to Zulumagoo and Bora Boris and ALL BECAUSE I DONT Want to villanize any one.

Gentlemen,

I apologize if my earlier response were taken the wrong way. I encourage your feedback. I value your opinions and do respect you.

Waikiki Tiki: Art, History and Photographs IS a book worth owning. It was intended as a jumping off point to generate more meaningful and interesting discussion about these islands and their role in Tiki Culture.

just a quick fer instance...

One of the 5 most Brutally shameful mistakes in the first edition (That will be fixed in edition 2.0 is the photo labeled Pearl Harbor. It should have said Hickham AFB.

I some how missed that on your blog. http://tikiarchitecture.blogspot.com/

I encourage you ALL in aiding me in helping sharpen my UNDERSTANDING of this special place where so many memories were formed during the TIKI AGE IN HAWAII. THIS. that is Waikiki. I want to hear memories and see pictures. Hey I got leid there once. :) I need, and want to understand this resort better. More memories. There is some one out there with more pictures (hypothetical scenario) of his birthday at age 8 at the Kon Tiki Room at the Sheraton.

By the way, I would like to ask a question of you all. We didn't put page numbers on the first edition.
Do you want them? I do not. Others have suggested that they want numbers.

BIG STONE HEADHas AWESOME Numbers.

Polunesian Cultural Center around 2006. One of three/

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2011-12-03 13:59 ]

Aloha!

The slide scanner is finally UP and working... This is exciting... getting great detail on these test scans off negatives and slides.

1955 Lurline hula lesson enroute to hawaii.

2/3 PPC Entry panel circa 2004

3\3 PPC Entry panel circa 2004

Aloha,

Quite inspired by the few new finds at the IMP, I've been looking even closer.

On 2010-12-31 20:03, Phillip Roberts wrote:

This outtake is a bit of a mystery. There are a few of these panels on Ahua street. The owner rescued them from the International Market Place. I cannot exactly attribute them to a single location beyond that yet.

:) This weekend I found one in situ at the International Market Place! Well, the food court anyway. Above Tiki Burger. It's been spray painted gold.

And there's a new restaurant opening in the foodcourt as well... was closed, or I would have asked them what inspired their name.

Kajun Island.

Mahalo for reading!

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2011-12-13 13:34 ]

Aloha and Mele Kelikimaka!

So what's the connection to Waikiki? This Christmas card was designed by Noreen of DAGA and sent out around 1991. She did many of the "Table tent" drawings back in the day advertising mugs in Waikiki restaurants!

Aloha and Mele Kelikimaka!

Wishing you all the best in 2012 from Waikiki!

Sand sculpture at the Sheraton Waikiki Lobby in August 2011 by Jill Harris and Thomas Coet of Sandsational Sculpting. Done in 5 days with 6 toms on sand!

It has recently been replaced by a sand sculpture of Santa and his elves. :( But they left the Tiki sign up, leading me to believe it will be back some time after the holidays.

Such is the way of tiki, fleeting glimpses captured in memory and (if luck) by a lens.

Aloha and Happy New Year!

This mural, sunfaded since about 1974, shows a rapid transit system proposed by Mayor Frank Fasi that was never built. It is located in an industrial area, below Nimitz, between Republican and Democrat Streets. There is no artist signature.

M

wow, I've never seen that mural, pretty cool.

Aloha,

On 2011-12-31 15:02, msteeln wrote:
wow, I've never seen that mural, pretty cool.

And isn't that the point of Waikiki Tiki: Art, History and Photographs? This thread has always been about memories; yours, mine and ALL others. Feel free to add any photo on this thread to any other.

Please share your stories. That's what makes interesting content to me. It's all about the exploration of this resort and it's place in Polynesian Pop.

As a state that came late into the Tiki Scene, (and lasted far beyond the accepted decline) I find Hawaii incredibly fascinating.

There is SO MUCH out there, waiting to be discovered.

Today, I got an email from someone local who bought the book and called Bess Press to get in touch with me.

In Millilani, there is a previously un-documented Brownlee carving bought at the closing auction of the Tahitian Lanai and apparently installed at his house. I am scheduling a road trip to take pictures of John's carving in the very near future.

And now, a little something for Kele...

An INSIDE shot of the Tahitian Lanai looking OUT toward the pool lanai. This comes from a scrapbook dated around 1967... You can barely see a carved Brownlee pole outside the window to the right of the lady and further right a waitress. Try as I might, I can't bring those out better in Photoshop. Glass, flash and dark are very hard compensate for.

M

Phillip, for me one of the more pressing issues that (I've posted somewhere previously) you might be able to have better luck documenting is the stunning '50s era mural inside the Bowl-O-Drome near University Ave. The mauka wall is covered with a great kitschy depiction of the Royal family enjoying a day outside, complete with menehune stealing just caught fish, and similar quirkiness. That the alley hasn't been torn down yet may be the gods preserving this invauable item long enuf for someone like yourself to gain entrance and capture in detail. It's a shame the wall can't be salvaged completely, but the next best thing is a photo-doc. Maybe you've been there and know exactly what I'm talking about. I think Kamehameha Schools is owner of the property. In fact, the whole building should be saved as it's the perfect representation of a great post-war bowling alley, the best I've ever seen.

Aloha,

It was on this thread... one well worth reading on Polynesian Murals and Dioramas. In fact, someone should bump it up. Hint, hint.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=23096&forum=1&start=0&hilite=Bowl%20o%

i've been trying to gain access to that for years now.

I shall try again.

M

Timing is usually everything. I'll bet if you hit it at just the right time and spoke to just the right person you'd get a shot at it regardless of probable legal restrictions, but when and who are the magic words. I doubt contacting the proper channels would be of benefit and could hamper your chances. Let's hope it's still in decent shape, I remember seeing a small portion having been compromised for a lighting fixture, and who knows what's happened since it closed permanently.

HJ

Was gifted with Waikiki Tiki by a daughter at Christmas. What a great book!

Phillip,
Thank you so much for the pic of the Tahitian Lanai! It's like finding a needle in a haystack to find pics from there and the Waikikian Hotel. I have faith that more will show up.
Mahalos!
~kele

Aloha,

Thanks Kele and Haole Jim,

Your feedback is important to me. And the research continues...

She's wearing one of A.J.'s locally carved sea urchin spines...

More later. I gotta wake up early.

Aloha,

While on a recent walking tour for some of our members, I tried (again) to capture the reflection of the PNG carving between the Waikiki Town Center and the International Market Place.

Aloha,

Doing a tour on Wednesday. Anyone like come? Meet at noon at the Banyan Tree at the Moana.

Got a little ink here, but it's mostly about others in Hawaii. Gecko, Brad, Lloyd, Thor, Okolemaluna, etc...

If you are in town, you gotta do a Tiki Tour with Phil !! Proud of you buddy... I love your work !!

Aloha,

On 2012-01-04 01:47, msteeln wrote:
Phillip, for me one of the more pressing issues...

I think this might ACTUALLY happen this coming week.

I have been pulling some taut strings. Tiptoeing really. Would you set aside a few hours on Friday morn? apparently there are TWO Murals that mom stagbar comissioned from Jacqualin Anderson circa 1954.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 504 replies