Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Waikiki Tiki; Art, History and Photographs OFFICIAL THREAD

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 504 replies

First of all, I'm enjoying your book immensely Phil. I go to sleep at night dreaming of old Honolulu and the grand tikis that lived there.

Secondly, my parents had one of those tiki candles when I was a kid. It was the coolest thing but I forgot all about it until now.

Finally, I will be in Waikiki in a little over two weeks and look forward to going to Tiki Town and seeing the other historic tikis in your book.

Mahalo

Aloha Phillip, purchased your book a couple weeks ago to do some research, then stumbled upon Tiki Central this week, and now I find that you are on this forum! Thank you for a wonderful, fascinating book.

Aloha and Mahalo!

Appreciate the comments guys! TrailerparkTiki, looking forward to meeting up when you are here.

TikiRice, let's see the Tiki you were researching that led you here!

1956-ish Interior Trader Vic's Ward Avenue...

Have a great weekend everybody!

Phillip:
Do you have a top 10 for Waikiki tiki?
Mahalo.

Aloha Chris,

I'm not really sure what you mean by a Waikiki Tiki "Top Ten." I haven't really given much thought to making a list...

Could you please be more specific? "Top 10 (remaining) Tiki in Waikiki to see?" "Top 10 places I wish had not closed?" "Top 10 things I wish I'd included in the book?" "Top 10 mugs I passed on when I didn't know any better?" etc...

On 2012-07-03 14:37, Phillip Roberts wrote:
Aloha Chris,

I'm not really sure what you mean by a Waikiki Tiki "Top Ten." I haven't really given much thought to making a list...

Could you please be more specific? "Top 10 (remaining) Tiki in Waikiki to see?" "Top 10 places I wish had not closed?" "Top 10 things I wish I'd included in the book?" "Top 10 mugs I passed on when I didn't know any better?" etc...

True enough. Frankly, I will take the top 5 remaining as I am going with the wife and nino and will only get an hour or two before having to move on to the next activity. Sigh..... Not to duplicate your incredible, all inclusive tour, but maybe just a highlights version, such as the one at the Royal Hawaiian?

Aloha Chris,

I just did an one hour-ish tour for Randy and thought it went quite well. Please check your personal messages. I am happy to be "Our Man in Hawaii." If I have the time, I will certainly do the same for you or any other member who is in town.

I'm not sure this A-Frame actually existed or was a conception of a Tiki-Happy ad exec.

Aloha,

Hope everybody is having a nice Weekend. I've been very busy... Couple of tours, more research... plenty new photos...

Here's one of the maori panels from the Hawaiian Hut in it's new home...

Thank god some of it has been saved.

Mahalo for the conversation and walk. We're back in Vegas now. Fascinating history all over the place. We went to Kailua and visited Ali'i Antiques and picked up some carvings that appear to be vintage and unique. We also went to the Antique and Collectible Show at the Blaisdell Center where we met Marcus Thorn carving a 7 foot Marquesan. A guy was selling old menus from the golden age of tiki bars but he was asking too much in my opinion. There were lots of folks selling vintage photos, I hope you made it over there. We went to La Mariana twice because its like a magnet for me.

Thanks again,
Wade

Aloha Wade,

My pleasure! It was great to meet up with you guys! I did not make it to the show. I had something else going on at the time.

Paradise Park 1980...

A

Phillip, thanks again for the Waikiki Tiki tour of the Int'l Marketplace. Like a fountain of local knowledge, lots of stuff there we had never spotted before! A couple pics, for the record...

Our host, in the Tahitian king's chair (did I get that right?)...

-Randy

Nice photos, family and IMP history.

Aloha Randy,

Yes, was great to meet you and the family!

I was told by oldtimers many years ago that it is a 'Fijian Chief's Chair,' brought back by Donn from his 1956 voyage to trade goods and stock the Marketplace with incredible art. While he sailed the South Pacific, Brownlee carved n the Matson Parking lot.

Hey i got a cool glass at a garage sale a few days ago... There's a swizzle and a coaster from the Menehune bar at the Edgewater hotel in Waikiki Tiki, but here's a cool bubble glass.

Does anyone have a picture of the interior of this place?

UPDATE: oohMore bad TIKI news.

Waikiki Tiki; Art, History, and Photographs.
Available now from Bess Press Hawaii.

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2012-07-31 20:41 ]

Aloha,

Very buzy, but I did get to hang out with the Tikimaster at his warehouse for a few hours last week. Had a nice chat!

Enjoy Oasis. I'm stuck in Hawaii.

Aloha,

I'm told that the ibook and ebook version will be available soon... I'll keep you posted...

Princess Kaiulani hotel.

Aloha,

Did a couple of tours and met some good people! Played them the VOICE of Don The Beachcomber! I enjoy seeing their reactions. If you come to Hawaii, look me up. Always happy to meet like minded people!

They are off to Kauai... Of course they will visit Tahiti Nui.

Aloha,

Nice day in the islands! Saw this at the Beachcomber near the surfing Museum.

Aloha,

Doing a mini-talk and slideshow at a pop-up tiki bar with the Waitiki7 Quartet, October 24th... Cocktali-Toa! If in town, come by. This ought be a load of fun! I'll play Donn's voice, tell a dirty joke and gab for about 10-15 minutes about Tiki.

http://www.eruptionmusicfest.com/cocktail-toa/

pop-up tiki bar? Mr. Roberts
is this becoming more common in the islands?

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2012-10-07 14:42 ]

Aloha,

On 2012-10-07 14:41, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
pop-up tiki bar?
is this becoming more common in the islands?

I don't think there has been one before here. but more is better then less, eh?

Randy from the Waitiki 7 is setting up the festival events and asked if I'd do a short presentation.
He's also playing some exotica with the quartet, screening bits of the "DVD of Tiki" and "Hawaii Home movies
of the 50's, 60's and 70's."

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2012-10-07 19:38 ]

Hay Phillip,
Thanks for taking time out of your day
to give me your Tiki tour while I was on Oahu.
It was amazing.
You showed me things I have walked past many times and never seen before.
Thanks again,

Jon

ps- great pic of you on the tour...

Aloha,

On 2012-10-13 19:09, hang10tiki wrote:
Hay Phillip,
Thanks for taking time out of your day
to give me your Tiki tour while I was on Oahu.
It was amazing.
You showed me things I have walked past many times and never seen before.
Thanks again,

Mahalo Jon! Fun to meet you too! Off to Tiki's Grill and Bar 10th Anniversary Party! That's a lot of Aloha!

Photos soon!!

On 2012-10-07 19:37, Phillip Roberts wrote:
Randy from the Waitiki 7 is setting up the festival events and asked if I'd do a short presentation.
He's also playing some exotica with the quartet, screening bits of the "DVD of Tiki" and "Hawaii Home movies
of the 50's, 60's and 70's."

"DVD of Tiki"- I have...

But "Hawaii Home movies of the 50's, 60's and 70's"??? is this something that others have known about & I missed?

Sounds like a great time,
Thanks, Phillip
~kele

Aloha,

On 2012-10-19 21:32, WaikikianMoeKele wrote:

But "Hawaii Home movies of the 50's, 60's and 70's"??? is this something that others have known about & I missed?

Yep, I recommend it. Careless Navigator put it together and I think he said it's $20.00 USD including shipping. H's working on volume II... check out he great drive by on Kalakaua at about :52 on the DVD.

He's (Careless Navigator) got a facebook page for it.

Aloha,

Drove by a pretty cool food truck so I had to stop and take a shot!

Lee just sent me an email that Phil had made mention of my Hawaii Home Movies of the 1950's, 60's and 70's here. l still have heaps left and l encourage everyone who has one to use it as moving wallpaper for events, party's etc (professionally and privately)... You can contact me [email protected] I am doing a special at the moment $20.00 including postage worldwide.
Thanks again Phillip, you have always been a big supporter of everything l do.

Aloha,

Yup, I can't wait for volume II, Rohan.

Happy holidays everybody. Did some nice Waikiki tours for some TC peeps!

Found yet another Tiki foodtruck. This guy cooks southern BBQ style. It was quite tasty.

As someone who just finally picked this book up, I hearby encourage all other stragglers to get one! It looks like a small book, but it's jammed full of photos and info. It was good to see it for sale in so many places in Hawaii (ABC stores, the airport, local bookstores, etc.) Thought this was an appropriate display at the Hilo Hattie store in Kona.

And be sure to take Phillip's tour if you're in Waikiki!

Aloha,

Thanks for the picture and the kind words Amy! That's fun!

About 200 pages in Waikiki Tiki there is a concrete garden statue in Salt Lake called "Akua Kahua." There are actually 2. I just noticed this shot was left out of the book. It's full bodied like the other, but the lawn has grown around it so that only the head is visible...

Happy Holidays to all!

Aloha,

Aren't you glad you got a first edition at cost? This guy wants $1,818.69 for his used copy and still has the balls to ask for $3.99 Shipping. If you want a book, I can help. Much cheaper.

HT

I actually had it on my wish list, and went to order it for Christmas, to find it out of stock :(

Aloha and Happy Holidays!

Aloha,

Yes, It's still there, by the International Food Court. But, who knows how much longer it will stay or what will happen to it.

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2013-01-16 12:10 ]

aloha,

Hope it's all well. Bess Press has informed me that fresh copies of Waikiki Tiki: Art, History and Photographs are arriving next week. There are some corrections and a few replacement photographs (that happily include those Tiki at the International Market Place) that are somewhere on this thread...

Hope all is well.

Aloha,

Taken with a cellphone. I didn't have my camera...

M

No tiki should be without a home...

Aloha and Happy Lei day!!

T

Hey Phillip, thought you would like to see this...

Waikiki Tiki on the back bar of the Tacoma Cabana, it's been up there for the 6 months they have been open. That's Jason owner/bartender in front of his 82 different bottles of rum! If your back in this area, Jason, a Golden Shellback, would love to have you sign his book. I'll buy the drinks. :)

Aloha,

Thanks for sharing that. I always like seeing where the book pops up... I should be back for a visit in August. let's do it then!

Aloha,

Once again, I'd like to Thank You all of you for your support of "Waikiki Tiki: Art, History, and Photographs." The book is now in it's second printing and available. Bess Press has printed ample copies. (The e&i-book version is still being worked on, btw. It's a small local company and things do move slow.) There are a few changes in this printing and a few new photos. If you do not have a copy yet, I encourage you to get one.

Mad props to my friend Rex who was in Lanakai over the weekend and alerted me to this...

How did I miss it? Oh, there is so much more out there...

Look bottom right.

Aloha Creative Native,

NICE! That looks like an Adele Davis decanter to the left of the book on your shelf... If so, SUPER RARE... Honored to be on your shelf. If you wanna meet up when you come town side next, please let me know... Play you the voice of Don the Beachcomber, sign your copy and do a tour.

Thanks again to Koop for having me on the show.. Hear Mynah birds speak. Download the episode now!

Phillip

Tours will not be available after August 15, 2013....

Best,

Phillip

Had a wonderful time on your Tiki Tour Phillip. I thought I knew where are all the tikis are in Waikiki. I wasn't even close. Just a fascinating time. We will miss you when you leave Hawaii. Here are a couple of picts:

Tikispeer and his lovely wife was with us but for some reason I did take any pics of them. They were great to be with also. Proof there are good tiki folks everywhere since they are from down under.

P.S. Learned that there are tons of tiki and tiki history in International Market Place in Waikiki another reason it or part of it must be saved.

[ Edited by: creativenative 2013-07-17 02:43 ]

Mahalo NUI LOA Matt.

That TOUR was one of the best ever. TikiSpeer and you were great plus all involved asked great questions.

Today's tour was an extended one for some great TC members. Started before noon and ended around 6P... The August 16 tour will prolly be one of those since it will be the last...

Best,

Phillip

M

Forgive me for not knowing or searching for the particulars, Phillip, but how does one get onboard for the current tour finale?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 504 replies