Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Waikiki Tiki; Art, History and Photographs OFFICIAL THREAD

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 504 replies

You can PM Phillip. He will respond and happily show you the tikis on his walking tour.

and it doesn't even have to be on that date... I'm pretty flexible during the next month. Just email me if you want to arrange a tour.

PR

Aloha,

And it's just that simple. see you Friday.

On 2013-07-20 14:21, msteeln wrote:
Forgive me for not knowing or searching for the particulars, Phillip, but how does one get onboard for the current tour finale?

Friday August 16, 2013. 3:30 PM Hawaiian Standard Time. Last Wiki Wiki Waikiki Tiki Tour. Starts at the entrance of King's Village.
One hour of low impact walking. FREE. Advanced tour to follow.
Best,

Phillip

Waikiki Tiki; Art, History, and Photographs.
Available now from Bess Press Hawaii.

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2013-08-14 19:33 ]

I'd like to come by at the beginning just to say hi and bye to everyone. Since I think this will be one of the last tours AND if anyone else from Tiki Central that lives on O'ahu is available come by at 3:30pm at King's Village, do the tour if you haven't already - it's Great! If you have done the tour at least let's exchange contact information so we can start a TC Hawaii Branch for the near future.

Creative Native

[ Edited by: creativenative 2013-08-15 15:02 ]

Good to see you Matt. Was a great tour. Msteelin bummer we missed you.

Mahalo NUI Loa!

M

Msteelin bummer we missed you.
Bums for sure, litterally a last minute change of plans, but if things work out and I get my dream situation I'll be really happy having missed the finale and will hope it's actually not the last, or a resonable facimile is born out of the ashes. Whatever, mahalo for being willing to tour tiki folks around and maybe we'll cross paths at some point.

Aloha,

As many of you already know, I have relocated from the Hawaiian Islands to be with my fiancee in the greater Seattle Area. It was not an easy decision, but I am in love and happy. Most of my collection of mugs survived the journey through the US mail. I will miss Hawaii, Oahu, and Waikiki very much. I will be returning there often as I continue to work on 'Waikiki Tiki II" and other travel related projects.

best,

Phillip

P.S. Save the International Market Place if you can.

Big change there Phillip! I am glad your relationship is working out. Where are you going to get hitched?

Philip, your fiancée must have one helluva connection to Seattle, or must have one helluva good job, to have resisted the opportunity to move to Hawaii! All the best to both of you.

RB

Welcome to the Northwest, and be sure to swing down to Portland to have a few drinks with all the ohana down here!

Thanks Guys! I'll be in touch!

Aloha,

I'm just starting to explore the Pacific Northwest... My fiancee took me to the Redhook Brewery Tour.

Aloha,

Going through some photos from the International Market Place before the wrecking ball drops. This is a huge bar at "Tikitown."

These are done by Rick McCall (He's a partner there.) He does plenty of Tiki.

Gone by 12/31/13

I'm doing a walk on 12/7 and 12/13 to shoot some segments for the ebook project. Please let me know if you'll be in town to bid the girl goodbye.

Phillip,are you still planning on releasing the eBook version of Waikiki Tiki with the additional material? I'm still hope to get a listen to an audio recording of Donn, and it appears you may have one of the few in existence.

Aloha,

Well, yes... Thanks for asking. I am still planning that phase of the project... while I continue to work on WTA,H,&P-II.

However, Waikiki Tiki is STILL in print and I urge you to do so if you haven't read it yet. You'll not be disappointed. And, Bess Press has a nice discount on it ($17.21).

However,

Waikiki Tiki: Art, History, and Photographs ibook is now available as an ibook (looks great), but the bonus stuff like Donn's voice is not embedded yet.

I know I'm late to the game.... But I got this Book today and Love it. Could be my new favorite Tiki Book. Great Pics and written nicely. I'm looking forward to spending some serious time with it.

Aloha Erich,

Thanks for taking the time to post about Waikiki Tiki! High praise indeed! I think the book is aging well.

There is now a Kindle version for $5.99 That's kinda neat!

best,

Phillip

Aloha,

With the news that the Treetops restaurant in Manoa Valley has reopened with the eventual goal of a Paradise Park Rebirth, I thought I'd dig into the archives and find a picture that was taken too late to make the Waikiki Tiki book...

Enjoy! Hope the vintage Tiki's inside survived. They didn't shoot interiors in the video (but they are in the book.)

Good news
Saw a stack at a gift shop at the Hilton Hawaiian Village
Cheers bruddah

Sad update as well

Hilton Hawaiian Village Tapa Tower

Both are now gone
:(

Aloha and Mahalo Hang10.

Sigh. Gone. I really does look like there will be a time in the future when EVERYTHING photographed in Waikiki Tiki: Art, History, and Photographs will be lost. Glad I was there to document the 80-90% that remained then that's already disappeared.

Thanks for your efforts, Phillip. I received your book for Christmas and it really is exceptional. It seems people don't appreciate the historic value of a place until 10-20 years after they've bulldozed it to put up a strip mall.

M

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 504 replies