Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Waikiki Tiki; Art, History and Photographs OFFICIAL THREAD

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 504 replies

Just ordered mine. I'm looking forward to it.

Aloha,

On 2010-11-07 19:22, VampiressRN wrote:
Just got my book the other day. Wow...great job Phil. You really did pack it full of pictures...that is my kind of book (pictures & captions)...it is just beautiful. CONGRATULATIONS and THANX!!!

Mahalo Nui Loa!

Royal Grove Hotel lobby. The lobby is full of Tiki and other items given to the owners by visitors to the hotel.

Thanks Slacks! I'm sure you will enjoy my book!

On 2010-11-08 10:59, Mongoloid wrote:
Honolulu Star Advertiser pics of the launch party. Nothing beats a Sunday at Dukes with Henry Kapono.

http://www.honolulupulse.com/events/pics-launch-party-for-waikiki-tiki-art-history-photographs?pid=2939

What a great time!

Aloha!

If anyone would like to write a review for Amazon.com, I'd appreciate it...

Waikiki Tiki: Art, History and Photographs

Just returned from two months in London to find this fantastic book waiting for me. Congratulations, Phillip, this is truly a labor of love. Packed full with hundreds of glorious full-color images and photos of tikis in and around Waikiki, the book is pure eye-candy for tikiphiles everywhere. Mixing fascinating glimpses of Honolulu's lost cultural past with his own cool photos of tiki's continuing presence on O'ahu, Phillip has created an important work that documents Tiki's past and present in its original home. A wonderful addition to the Tiki/Polynesian Pop genre of books and a great Christmas present for anyone into Tiki or Hawaiiana.....

[ Edited by: Kon-Tiki Viking 2010-11-15 21:54 ]

Aloha,

Im glad you are enjoying it! :)

Mack Shack Waikiki thread.

Waikiki Tiki; Art, History, and Photographs.
Available now from Bess Press Hawaii.

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2012-04-06 19:01 ]

Chainsaw carver, Kamehameha Highway

Aloha,

Bess Press is offering a great deal for the Holidays - 30% Off on New and Old Titles! So for a limited time, you can get Waikiki Tiki: Art, History and Photographs for 30% off!

Go here for details!

Check out 808 Urban to see their cool work.

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2012-09-12 22:56 ]

Aloha,

Perry's Smorgy on Kuhio has a new name. I'll have to go and see if this carving and the others survived the changeover.

A recent visitor of the "Hello Kitty" style Japanese buffet notes two tiki remain in 2012.

Tiki Mack's 286 Beachwalk.

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2012-03-29 23:54 ]

A new Tiki book - YAHOO and thanks!

Just picked up this great book, at the Big K(mart) in Kailua-Kona! It's lovely!

Still enjoying the ton of pictures Phil...hope this is just the first in a series...wink wink!!! Review posted. :)

Aloha!

Mahalo Inkylouise! Thanks for the review on Amazon, VampiressRN.

Captain Zack's Bar at the International Market Place in 2004. This place was below the shell of the Trader Vic's.

One of two 1939 panels by Margaret Blasingame at the Board of Water Supply on Beretania Street portray the legend of Kane and Kanaloa. The gods roamed the land together finding fresh water springs for the people. Created as a W.P.A. project, it was restored a few years ago. Also worth seeing is the Juliette May Fraser mural inside the main office.

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2010-12-03 20:54 ]

Phil,

When will your book be avail at Oceanic Arts in Whitteir, Ca. ??

Tiki Meca Mainland......... :)

BB

Aloha,

On 2010-12-01 19:39, RevBambooBen wrote:

When will your book be avail at Oceanic Arts in Whittier, Ca. ??

Tiki Mecca Mainland... :)

Good question Ben. I'd really be honored if O.A. would stock them. Some of Bob and Leroy's work is in it.

Where else would be good places to have them on the Mainland? Wacko Soap in L.A? The Mai-Kai giftshop? I don't get to the mainland often, so I don't know.

Retailers, bookstores, and restaurant giftshops that would like to have copies can contact Bess Press directly at [email protected]. The Phone number is (808) 734-7159 ext 10.

*Rapa Nui representatives at Kualoa Beach in 2000 after the Hokulea canoe's successful trip to Easter Island. It was a very cool ceremony. I was inspired and traveled to Rapa Nui in 2001.

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2010-12-01 23:54 ]

Aloha,

A few posts ago in this thread, I mentioned the 1930's Juliette May Fraser (1887-1983) mural inside the Board of Water Supply. While I was looking for the photograph of the statue at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel hidden in the overgrown folliage, I came across my photo of the mural It's titled "Pure Water—Man's Greatest Need."

M

Phil, if you can gain entry into the closed Bowl-O-Drome on Eisenberg next to Old Stadium park, you'll find an awesome 50s era kitsch mural on the mauka interior wall depicting monarchy having outdoors fun. It's priceless, needs to be documented, and will no doubt be lost soon. Just to bowl in a classic bobby sox time-machine alley was a real trip, too bad it will go, more narrow-vision loss.

Aloha,

On 2010-12-04 12:42, msteeln wrote:
Phil, if you can gain entry into the closed Bowl-O-Drome on Eisenberg next to Old Stadium park, you'll find an awesome 50s era kitsch mural on the mauka interior wall depicting monarchy having outdoors fun. It's priceless, needs to be documented, and will no doubt be lost soon. Just to bowl in a classic bobby sox time-machine alley was a real trip, too bad it will go, more narrow-vision loss.

Yeah, I live near there...

That one's been on my list for quite a while now. I've never been to gain entry tried a few times over the last years. I'm inspired and will try again on Monday.

Aloha,

Another mural, a more contemporary one at the Deep End Bar in the Maile Ohana Sky Court Hotel off of Kuhio Avenue. You have to try their rum based 'Tree Smacker' cocktail when you go there. Three will have you smacking trees on the walk home... Happy hour 'til 6:30. Divey prices, colorful customers...I do like it. If you stay at the hotel, ask the front desk for a 1/2 price off drinks coupon...

Outtake from my book Waikiki Tiki: Art, History and Photographs. After the Tahitian Lanai and the Waikikian became a construction / storage lot. After I took the shots of the last Edward M. Brownlee main lobby carving (as shown in my book,) it disappeared. This statue was left in it's place. Where is the old work now and also where is the homage statue. Additionally who carved it?

Aloha,

Just a quick update!

Waikiki Tiki: Art, History and Photgraphs is available on Http://Amazon.com and there are five nice reviews! If you'd like to write one that would be much appreciated.

Http://Besspress.com is having a 30% off sale until the end of the month of December not only on my book, but all of their other titles.

I'm taking some TC people on a Waikiki Tiki wiki wiki walking tour later in the day. That's always fun! Mahalo Nui Loa!

Styrofoam Tiki at the Town and Country Surf Shop at Ward Center around 2002. They said it was part of a Quicksilver promotion some years before...

Aloha,

Let me do a quick reset here. I wrote a book published by Bess Press called "Waikiki Tiki: Art, History and Photographs." I'm posting many outtakes here on this thread; bad photos, fuzzy photos, alternate angles, deleted items, new things, pieces that just didn't fit into the finished book as of deadline... I'm enjoying it. I hope you are pleased by my photographs. I hope you will consider adding 'Waikiki Tiki' to your collection.

Phillip

Marquesas image - Oil on wood, kiosk door at Polynesian Cultural Center courtyard, Laie - HI

Aloha,

I got a really nice review in the in today's Honolulu Star Advertiser I am stoked!

"WAIKIKI TIKI — ART, HISTORY AND PHOTOGRAPHS," by Phillip S. Roberts (Bess Press, $22.95)

Don't let the compact size fool you. This hugely enjoyable ride through our mutated cultural landscape, as defined by carved wooden tiki statues, probably has more cool dope per page than any other Hawaii book we can think of.

Tikis are the icons, the graven images of tiki culture, born of that sunset lounge experience of exotic music, flaming torches, grass walls, bizarre, fruity rum-based drinks and black velvet paintings of nubile maidens glowing in the dark. Watching over it all are the statues hewn from wood, eyes bulging, mouths grimacing — the kitschy kids of Hawaii's sacred kii by way of Easter Island and Hollywood.

Kii are sacred; tiki are commercial props, and Phillips' mania for recording the cultural grab bag of tiki production seems to know no bounds, ranging from enormous wooden pillars for architectural purposes to tiny reproductions. Henry Kapono, in a charming introduction, reveals that one of his first toys was a tiki key-chain dangler with glass eyes.

This is one of those instant nostalgia books that maniacally delves into a previously overlooked corner of pop mythology. It covers the era when Waikiki evolved from a beach with some hotels to a gloriously overcooked homage to romanticized South Pacific fantasies. And it's already fading as Waikiki becomes more international and generic.

We like this book a lot.

They also did a Sidebar interview with me

Congrats on that nice review and that's a great angle for your thread.

I like to listen to "alternate takes" sometimes published in new CD releases of old jazz music and this is kind of like that.

It will be interesting to see the finished book after seeing the stuff that didn't make it in it. I think its great that you published a book on this subject and that it puts it in a historical context. Keep up the good work.

Vintage Kodakchrome of this canoe prow was just a wee bit too blurry to use in the book, but there is a Sheraton Hotel brochure in Waikiki Tiki showing the double headed canoe in action in the 1960's.

Phillip Roberts,

I am enjoying your outtakes. That looks like the same boat prow from the Hawaiian Village brochure I have.

Sabu's got some more photos of that boat too.

Mrs. Dustycajun got a BIG hint to tell Santa to put a copy of the Waikiki Tiki book in my stocking this year, can't wait for Christmas!

DC

On 2010-12-13 23:02, Dustycajun wrote:
Phillip Roberts,

I am enjoying your outtakes. That looks like the same boat prow from the Hawaiian Village brochure I have.

DC

I have a theory that the beachboys who ran that concession, owned the boat. and moved locales depending on who paid better...

*US Army Museum of the Pacific. *I used a different shot pointing out the 6 toed Barefoot Bar sign. Here's the small collection in the bar. Swizzles, some nice Tahitian Lanai glass Mai Tai buckets, a Trader Vic plate, Al Harrington Mug, Primo Can, etc...

On 2010-12-14 13:36, Phillip Roberts wrote:

*US Army Museum of the Pacific. *I used a different shot pointing out the 6 toed Barefoot Bar sign. Here's the small collection in the bar. Swizzles, some nice Tahitian Lanai glass Mai Tai buckets, a Trader Vic plate, Al Harrington Mug, Primo Can, etc...

wait, wait, wait... where exactly are the "nice Tahitian Lanai glass Mai Tai buckets"? I'm having trouble picking them out in this photo...

Aloha,

The 3 "Tahitian Lanai" glass buckets are not easy to see in the photo but they are just to the right of the cash register. One is holding the swizzles. They are simple; red paint with the maiden from the matchbook and the name of the bar as far as I remember. They might only have the maiden. Someone here must have one and hopefully will post it. Same size and shape as the classic 'Don Ho Suck 'em up' bucket. I do not own one or I would have used it in Waikiki Tiki: Art, History and Photographs.

As a point of interest, I have been unsuccessful in my MANY efforts over the years to trade for one of the three I have because no matter what I offered...

"This is a museum, sir. That glass is government property and not for trade. You could donate your item(s) to the museum, but there is no guarantee we'd use it in the exhibit. There's be forms and authentication issues..."

I DO urge that you visit the museum when in Waikiki. The kids really liked seeing guns and tanks. There are replica feather masks and Hawaiian weapons. Loads of info. You will love the Rocky Jensen sculptures.

Plus, as a bonus, my book IS available at the U.S. Army Museum of the Pacific at Battery Randolph giftshop. The guy that runs it is VERY cool.

Moving on..

• Today's outtake is a side view of the maori gable at the now closed Hawaiian Hut*

On 2010-12-15 21:40, Phillip Roberts wrote:
I DO urge that you visit the museum when in Waikiki. The kids really liked seeing guns and tanks. There are replica feather masks and Hawaiian weapons. Loads of info. You will love the Rocky Jensen sculptures.

I agree wholly, the museum is very interesting and FREE admission too. WooHooo

The Rocky Jensen sculptures are VERY beautiful,does anyone have information or photos of any others done by him?

M

The guy that runs it is VERY cool.
Was that Dorian Travers? I apprenticed under him as a rigger aboard the Falls Of Clyde in '80 & '81.

On 2010-12-16 19:18, msteeln wrote:
Was that Dorian Travers?

No, the guy that runs the giftshop at the Army museum is named Sheldon.

Rocky Jensen article. No pics of his work, just him.

The petroglyph painted tiles at the Seabreeze apartments didn't make the final cut. The building has these artistic tiles stretching all the way to the top of the building. I'd need a better lens to capture the full building. It is all the way at the end of the Kalakaua Avenue, near Kapiolani Park.

On 2010-12-12 21:58, Phillip Roberts wrote:
Aloha,

I got a really nice review in the in today's Honolulu Star Advertiser I am stoked!

"WAIKIKI TIKI — ART, HISTORY AND PHOTOGRAPHS," by Phillip S. Roberts (Bess Press, $22.95)

Don't let the compact size fool you. This hugely enjoyable ride through our mutated cultural landscape, as defined by carved wooden tiki statues, probably has more cool dope per page than any other Hawaii book we can think of.

Tikis are the icons, the graven images of tiki culture, born of that sunset lounge experience of exotic music, flaming torches, grass walls, bizarre, fruity rum-based drinks and black velvet paintings of nubile maidens glowing in the dark. Watching over it all are the statues hewn from wood, eyes bulging, mouths grimacing — the kitschy kids of Hawaii's sacred kii by way of Easter Island and Hollywood.

Kii are sacred; tiki are commercial props, and Phillips' mania for recording the cultural grab bag of tiki production seems to know no bounds, ranging from enormous wooden pillars for architectural purposes to tiny reproductions. Henry Kapono, in a charming introduction, reveals that one of his first toys was a tiki key-chain dangler with glass eyes.

This is one of those instant nostalgia books that maniacally delves into a previously overlooked corner of pop mythology. It covers the era when Waikiki evolved from a beach with some hotels to a gloriously overcooked homage to romanticized South Pacific fantasies. And it's already fading as Waikiki becomes more international and generic.

We like this book a lot.

They also did a Sidebar interview with me

Nice!

Aloha,

ooh! My friend just posted a cool picture of me and Arthur Lyman from October 1999 at The Kaimana Beach New Otani Hotel. Arthur did lunchtime shows there on Fridays, drank Vodka Cranberry, and talked a lot about golf during his breaks...

M

Great shot of a healthy Atta! That table immediately to his left was mine whenever I went to the NO and this gracious guy was the best. Slyly said he hated doing the bird calls, and that he didn't get a dime from all the re-released LP/CDs... He told me he had to go into the hospital the last week I saw him, and he didn't win that battle, but I got a nice recording of that final performance to always remind what a special man he was.
A friend who loves him followed up on Atta's suggestion to bring a list of requests the next time they visited and surprised him by printing and presenting a list so long it rolled out like giant toilet paper across the floor, Atta's jaw dropped! He actually played a couple of them.

Now THAT'S cool !

Aloha,

This outtake from Waikiki Tiki: Art, History and Photographs is actually an alternate shot from the Tree Tops (and part of the Paradise Park complex) restaurant. These incised panels are all over the banquet hall. Paradise Park is one of the places I'd like to explore further, but is currently unaccessable.

Aloha,

*A few years ago, this was my U.P.S. delivery man! Is he bringing you a copy of Waikiki Tiki? It's available at Http://Amazon.com , Http://Besspress.com , and Of course I have copies to sign and send! *

Aloha,

Went to do a signing at the Bishop Museum yesterday. Arrived, and all but one of the copies of **Waikiki Tiki: Art, History and Photographs **had been sold.

"It's selling quite well. Can we reschedule for later in the week?"

Today's outtake is the second of the three (lost) "Thor Stor" locations. This one was on Lewers Street before moving across to the new Beachwalk complex. Now, the third location has been replaced by the "Diamond Head Gallery" and has some of Thor, Dennis Mathewson and other artists work.

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2010-12-20 12:49 ]

M

I just got my copy as an early Christmas present. :) Thanks for sharing the outtakes.

Aloha,

On 2010-12-20 17:17, MauiRose wrote:
:) Thanks for sharing the outtakes.

Im glad to post them. I have plenty of photographs I didn't use for one reason or another.

Honolulu's Hukilau Restaurant is in the lower level of the Downtown Executive Center. The food is good.

Is there Tiki inside of the Hukilau?
Where is the Exec Center located?

On 2010-12-22 13:56, christiki295 wrote:
Is there Tiki inside of the Hukilau?
Where is the Exec Center located?

The Executive center is in downtown, off of Bishop Street. There is not a lot of Tiki there, but there are some Hawaiiana / old-Hawaii sports themed displays.

...And now, today's outtake from Waikiki Tiki...

• This multi-faced Maori-styled carved tree was across from the Waihole Poi Factory (at least that's what I wrote in my photo log.) around 2006. There was a Waka-styled maori carved outrigger canoe there too. (I'm looking for that photograph.) When I went back to get better photographs a year or so later, both were gone (or my notes were wrong.)*

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2011-01-07 21:33 ]

Aloha,

better shot. Can anyone shed light on the artist? I'd like to know.

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2011-01-07 21:34 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 504 replies