Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

East Bay Express

Pages: 1 5 replies

K

...after a nice review in their "best of" section, check out the zinger at the end!

30 Minutes Before Sunset: Best Place to Enjoy Classic Tiki Cocktail Aesthetic
May 8, 2003

In certain circles lit by tiki lamps, Trader Vic's name is spoken with reverence and awe as the inventor of the world-famous umbrella drink known as the Mai Tai. What most folks don't know is the Trader actually started out a few blocks away on San Pablo at a funky joint called Hinky Dinks. These days, when you want to ply the cool tiki groove, you can't do better than Trader Vic's, out on the Emeryville peninsula. Watch the sun sink into the ocean while sipping one of Vic's designer drinks, such as a Kamaaina served in a ceramic coconut. Or slam down a Kava Bowl, a Menehune, or a Samoan Fog Cutter, each served also in their own specially designed drinking vessel. If you're not partial to the Trader's trademark libations, the bartender will happily whip you up a pina colada, daiquiri, Planters Punch, Chi Chi, Gauguin, Blue Hawaiian, Beachcomber, Black Devil, Monkey Wrench, Scorpion, or a Zombie. The food's mediocre, so stick with the drinks and bring a tie, just in case they decide to enforce the dress code.

Food's mediocre?

Oh well, opinions are opinions, and theirs is wrong.

T

The East Bay Express bugs me. It always leans toward that "Berkeley is the center of the Universe" attitude. They said Cheese Board pizza is the best and it's not even pizza to me. No sauce?

Trader Vic's food is better than ever. They probably didn't even try it.

K

I doubt they tried it either. Was there even any voting involved? In my mojo town, the Memphis Flyer ( http://www.memphisflyer.com ) lets the city vote for its best of, which makes more sense than the minute staff of your local alternative newsweekly trying to assess the importance and populartity of every business in town.

T

On 2003-05-11 16:12, kahukini wrote:
I doubt they tried it either. Was there even any voting involved? In my mojo town, the Memphis Flyer ( http://www.memphisflyer.com ) lets the city vote for its best of, which makes more sense than the minute staff of your local alternative newsweekly trying to assess the importance and populartity of every business in town.

They do reader's picks with voting and editor's picks. There are more editor's picks than reader's picks. The reader's picks often are bad like Outback Steakhouse for best steak, and they are often the same choices every year.

M

C'mon...some dishes at Vic's are big winners. Some are big losers. You just have to know what to get. I can see how you can come away thinking it's mediocre if you go down the wrong road.

-martin

Pages: 1 5 replies