Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

ANOTHER Oceanic Arts? Near Buena Park?

Pages: 1 7 replies

One of my co-workers told me about this "huge Hawaiian store" in LA filled with "those things you like" (tiki stuff, naturally). I said "Oh yeah, Oceanic Arts, right? In Whittier?" Nope. Some new store in or near Buena Park in this huge mall called The Block on City Drive, but she couldn't remember the name of the store. I'm very intrigued, and I'm sure the LA centralites will know what this place is. What is the name of it, and is it worth visiting, or is it just like a big ABC Store?

Thanks in advance,
Trader Rick

L
laney posted on Sun, May 11, 2003 4:50 PM

I bet she's talking about Hilo Hatties. It's the only one here on the main land. There are several in Hawaii. It is very different from OA. They sell clothing, jewelery, books, housewares, etc. no raw supplies. It is at thr Block in Orange near the 5, 22 and 57 Frwys.

On 2003-05-11 16:50, laney wrote:
I bet she's talking about Hilo Hatties. It's the only one here on the main land. There are several in Hawaii. It is very different from OA. They sell clothing, jewelery, books, housewares, etc. no raw supplies. It is at thr Block in Orange near the 5, 22 and 57 Frwys.

There is a Hilo Hatties in Tennessee that has been there for at least a year or two. I hate to rain on your parade about being the only one on the mainland!

There's also a Hilo Hattie in Las Vegas in the Aladdin Hotel's Mall. They sell more products along the line of Hawaiian clothing, food products and souvenirs. Not like OA at all.

Yes, Hilo Hattie's is no OA, but I kinda liked the one at the Ala Moana mall in Honolulu. Somehow, they actually had a vintage Moai mug there. At least, I THINK it was vintage, as it had white interior glaze. It was only four bucks so I got it. The back said Trader Peng's, which I believe was somewhere on the mainland. I wonder how it got to that particular Hilo Hattie's? ANyway, thanks for all the help.

M

On 2003-05-11 23:03, Trader_Rick wrote:
The back said Trader Peng's, which I believe was somewhere on the mainland. I wonder how it got to that particular Hilo Hattie's?

Trader Pang's at Hilo's are reproductions

[ Edited by: Mattio on 2003-05-11 23:15 ]

L

Wow was I wrong! :oops: I am no expert on Hilo Hatties but do remember when the Block opened, they made a big to do about it being here on the main land now. Of course, that was years ago, and could have been a marketing sceme, or the others have opened since then :-? But I do think this was the store your friend was talking about. If you've never been to one it may be worth the trip. They have tons of cool books, Kona coffee, loads of clothes (which often go on sale) My friend Cory's shirt with tikis he wore to this years OC crawl was from there. Then you can go over to Spencers to get some discounted tiki incense burners and lamps and over to Dave & Busters for drinks and video games. Enjoy

Pages: 1 7 replies