Name:Tiki
Type:restaurant
Street:Old Tappan Road
City:Old Tappan
State:NJ
Zip:
Phone:

Description:
Ok, not a real creative name for this restaurant: Tiki. But it says it all I guess. Located in Old Tappan, New Jersey.

I have been tracking this menu for a long time and have grabbed several different images. My favorite graphics - the combination of Tiki and Leopard print.

The drink menu sported the full line up of Tiki mugs and bowls.

The dinner menu had this great rendering of the building.

And the food.

I have looked and looked and found nothing else on this great place. Hoping that others may have some memories?

DC

On 2010-08-31 19:25, Dustycajun wrote:

DC

Doesn't she looks like a Will Eisner´s character?
I´ll check my Spirit collection...

S
Swanky posted on Thu, Sep 2, 2010 9:19 AM

Sand Saref?

I found out a little more info on the Tiki in Old Tappan. It originally opened in 1965 as the “Tiki” by Bob Gaudio, part of the famous singing group “The Four Seasons”. That explains the name of the drinks on this portion of the menu entitled the Golden Hits that build the Tiki!

The restaurant changed ownership and names to the Oriental Luau. I have a matchbook from there that shows some Tikis out front.

Here is a menu from the web.

All of the classic drinking vessels represented.

Here is a description from Atomic Ken:

My family used to go there for major holidays to enjoy their smorgasbord full of tasty Polynesian food and for the awesome Tiki décor….hanging buffer fish lamps(aka blow fish), hanging outrigger boats, thatching and bamboo everywhere, it was great!

From what I can tell, it was still around in the 1990s.

DC

Ok, that makes more sense now. I was scratching my head trying to figure out how those cocktails represented "The Golden Hits."

Lesson learned: obliquely referential cocktail names don't always have staying power.

Kevin

On 2016-03-10 16:09, Dustycajun wrote:
I found out a little more info on the Tiki in Old Tappan. It originally opened in 1965 as the “Tiki” by Bob Gaudio, part of the famous singing group “The Four Seasons”. That explains the name of the drinks on this portion of the menu entitled the Golden Hits that build the Tiki!

[img]https://tikicentral.com/uploads/8169/56e20ba3.jpg[img]

Pages: 1 4 replies