Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

Madame Wong's, Los Angeles, CA (restaurant)

Pages: 1 21 replies

C
Chub posted on Wed, Sep 15, 2010 10:17 AM

Name:Madame Wong's
Type:restaurant
Street:949 Sun Mun Way - Chinatown
City:Los Angeles
State:CA
Zip:90012
Phone:624-5346

Description:
Here is some info I found on wikipedia about the owner, Esther Wong and what became of the restaurant... "Esther Wong started in the early 1970s as the owner of “Madame Wong’s," a Los Angeles Chinatown restaurant with a floorshow. Polynesian dance acts weren’t attracting customers, yet when Paul Greenstein, a Los Angeles "bum vivant," first approached her husband George about booking bands, she declined. Greenstein's persistence, and the fact that he had already given the nearby "Atomic Cafe" a new lease on life (cross-polination between owners' children worked the magic), caused her to agree to a trial run in Fall of 1978. Initially, under Greenstein, a showcase for unsigned, unbookable punk-bands, Madame Wong's was one of few places such bands could perform. With the exit of Greenstein, Madame Wong's morphed into a power-pop palace with bookings more influenced by a now-interested Wong. Notable bands that she showcased included a “who’s who” of rock music, including The Knack, The Police, The Motels, The Go-Go's, Naughty Sweeties, Oingo Boingo, Los Illegals, The WILD, The Kats/The Nu Kats, The Wigs, Daniel Amos, The Kempsters, Guns N' Roses, Black Flag, Fear, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Glass Target, The Twisters, and The Ramones. Eventually this led to her nickname, the “Godmother of Punk.”
She closed the original “Madame Wong’s” after a fire in 1985 and “Madame Wong’s West” in Santa Monica, California in 1991."
She died from emphysema and lung cancer on August 14, 2005 in Los Angeles, California, and was survived by her second husband, Harry Wong, two children, Frank Wong and Melinda Braun, six grandchildren, and four great-grandchildren

C
Chub posted on Wed, Sep 15, 2010 10:19 AM

Well from someone who had been to Madam Wongs & the Atomic Cafe,to many times to mention way back in the day
The place really was the "New Wave venue" very few "Punk" bands played there, Madam Wong:"the Punk crowd make to much trouble"

More the dayglow crowd then the old school punk scene, no floor shows & bad food was the mode.
The place had nothing to do with "Tiki" but was a place of note in the late 1970s & 1980s L.A. music scene.

The action was at the Masque,The Starwood,Al's Bar,Cathay De Grande etc.and of course the Cookoo's Nest in Orange County if you wanted to see Punk bands.

The Atomic Cafe was a little dive cafe downtown close to Al's Bar,Very cheap food,open 24 hours,a Punk rock hang out like Okie Dogs was at the time.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-09-15 14:17 ]

A

On 2010-09-15 14:15, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:

More the dayglow crowd then the old school punk scene, no floor shows & bad food was the mode.
The place had nothing to do with "Tiki" but was a place of note in the late 1970s & 1980s L.A. music scene.

Hmmmm... Are you speaking about the original Mdm Wong's or Wong's West? From the ad above it appears to me that it had a Polynesian floor show and "tiki" drinks - but maybe that was all gone by the late '70s/'80s when you hung out there.

It was all gone by the time they started booking shows, maybe in the 60s or early 70s still?
Madam Wong's West was where all the New wave bands played in the 80s

I don't remember any thing going on later at the Chinatown location by then,if it was even open still,before the fire?
if so I did not see any shows at the old location at that time.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-09-15 15:18 ]

C
Chub posted on Wed, Sep 15, 2010 6:37 PM

I think there needs to much more investigating done on this location during it's pre rock venue days. Does anyone know exactly when Madame Wong's opened exactly? Any pics from the early days (pre rock venue)?

This reminds me that Chinese Restaurants were the Bastion of old school Tiki style drinks
and in many cases Tiki Decor for many years,although not really a Tiki Bar, for many this was their only access
to Tropical cocktails and ambiance.

H

I visited both Madame Wong locations at least a few times in the early 80's but I don't recall any Polynesian decor. Of course that doesn't mean there wasn't any.

Blogger "Vermin On The Mount" had this to say about the Chinatown location:

"In 1978 she opened her doors to unheralded local musicians and bands like X, the Police and the Motels graced the stage in the second-story, Polynesian-themed restaurant."

On 2010-09-15 20:43, Hakalugi wrote:
I visited both Madame Wong locations at least a few times in the early 80's but I don't recall any Polynesian decor. Of course that doesn't mean there wasn't any.

Blogger "Vermin On The Mount" had this to say about the Chinatown location:

"In 1978 she opened her doors to unheralded local musicians and bands like X, the Police and the Motels graced the stage in the second-story, Polynesian-themed restaurant."

I remember plain decor & sticky floors! did not see many good shows there....
now the Starwood,that's a whole....well you know!

J

Didn't any of you 1st generation LA Punkers frequent the Hong Kong Cafe ??

Also Chub, where did you find that image ?? Nice find !!

Not so much John-O, we kind of looked down on the Madam Wongs shows too!
most of the bands we liked played in Hollywood & Downtown mostly.

I never missed X at the time,I remember them at the Starwood alot,then hanging with the band at the Zero Zero club for afterhours
The GoGos opened for X so many times, they were always around too.

C
Chub posted on Wed, Sep 15, 2010 9:13 PM

Ok ok...I think we've established that most of the Polynesian decor vanished by the late 70's or early 80's. The ad I posted was from the Los Angeles Chinatown Visitors Guide from 1978. Obviously the picture used, predated the rock venue years. Does anyone have any pics of the interior pre '78? Maybe a cocktail or food menu?

The one thing I know,it was a "Chinese Restaurant" first and foremost and not a Tiki Bar.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-09-15 21:25 ]

H

On 2010-09-15 18:37, Chub wrote:
I think there needs to much more investigating done on this location during it's pre rock venue days. Does anyone know exactly when Madame Wong's opened exactly? Any pics from the early days (pre rock venue)?

Not a whole lot on the internet regarding pre rock venue history.

I did however find this Picasa photo album.

Lot's of images but no good interior shots. There are some news clippings though where I found these bits of info:

• Madame Wong's opened in Chinatown in 1970.

• The Polynesian revues were personally recruited by Mrs. Wong on trips to Hawaii.

• The name of the revue was "The Polynesian Maidens".

• Their first "Rock 'n' Roll" show was October 3rd 1978.

Not much really...

J

1978 ??

Didn't the New Wave shows at Madame Wong's start in 1979? That means that Madame Wong's went from Poly-Pop to "Punk" without skipping a beat.

There's your Tiki --> Punk Rock devolution (evolution?) connection !!

I'm so happy. :)

And let's not forget the Mabuhay Gardens (albeit Filipino) in SF that was "kitschy Oriental" hosting Punk Rock during the same time.

UPDATE - Good work Hakalugi !! Muchas Gracias.

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-09-15 21:58 ]

Nice post Chub,

I hope we can find some Polynesian images to support the ad’s claim. I’ve got nothing on the interior but I’ll keep looking.

I thought Madam Wong’s had become Grandstar which according to Ocea Otica makes a decent Suffering Bastard (with the gerkin /cucumber garnish) but it’s in the next building over from the Madam Wong’s address.

I hope Tony Marsico can chime in on this as I think he may have also spent some late 70’s early 80’s time there and maybe he could remember any hints of a Polynesian atmosphere?

Tony!

C
Chub posted on Wed, Sep 15, 2010 10:02 PM

Thanks Hakalugi, now we're getting somewhere. So according to the ad, they offered Luaus as well. hmmm...

T

Madame Wongs - either venue - was known first and foremost by my group of underage hooligans as a place you would get served liquor - and usually not get carded if you made it past the front door.

I went there for that purpose initially, later to see friends perform in a band situation. I went to Madame Wongs in '79 for my initial visit when I got my first driver's license. And let me tell you, Madame Wong up close in person was pretty scary/freaky in those days. She usually made the rounds and talked with us. Don't remember anything Poly-Pop, just Chinese kitsch...and strong drinks.

J

Holy Shit !!

Not to derail this thread but does anyone remember the classic Yee Mee Loo bar in Chinatown ??

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=22181&forum=2

The old-school Chinese bartender there (who always sported the same 1970's-style haircut) who later moved on to the Good Luck Bar. He passed away 5 days ago !!

http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/view/183563

Ok here we go - some Chinese lamps and Sting going native. :)

R

THERE WAS A MADAME WONGS WEST ON WILSHIRE BL IN SANTA MONICA/ WEST L.A...CRAPPY OLD DECOR WITH A UPSTAIRS AND DOWNSTAIRS TO IT.. A LOT OF PUNK BAND S AND HOOLIGANS ALRIGHT..GOOD TIMES

C
Chub posted on Mon, Apr 30, 2012 9:46 PM

Here is a very interesting article that just came out on the history of Madame Wong's. We now know what the Polynesian connection for the restaurant was, before it became a rock venue. According to the article, Madame Wong's husband was Hawaiian. Read more here...
http://www.laweekly.com/2012-04-26/music/madame-wong-esther-wong-hong-kong-cafe/

Pages: 1 21 replies