Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

What Tiki Music Are You Listening To? (plus reviews)

Pages: 1 2 78 replies

ATP.....Betty Grable is in Song Of The Islands but the song you are looking for is not one of the six featured in the film. The movie also features Harry Owens & His Royal Hawaiians plus Hilo Hattie.

On 2010-10-06 17:14, JOHN-O wrote:

We're talking about 13-14 year olds cavorting with much more "mature" ladies. Those lucky lucky kids. :)

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-10-06 17:18 ]

Milf hunting back in the day. I can dig it.

S

Suave soundtracky psychedelic funk that sometimes dips into kitschedelia. The album was made to resemble 70s funk music coming out of St. Pettersburg but was actually made sometime in 2009. Unfortunately, it was limited to about 5 copies which pretty much makes it out of print. Bizarre.

The Ventures, Jerry McGee doing lead on "Quiet Village."

Probably the best instrumental version this song has EVER been treated to. Mouth just hanging open at the extended bridge.

"Hawaiian Christmas" by Amy Hanaialii

It's more Hawaiian than Tiki but it's still a beautiful Island take on many Christmas classics. And it's not some cheesy rehash, she surrounds herself with very talented musicians and the guitar and ukulele work is especially amazing. Would love to listen to this all year around!

http://www.amazon.com/Hawaiian-Christmas-Amy-Hanaialii/dp/B000W7Y1BA

I have been listening to "Wolf Party", the very first LP release by Wanganui's only indy label: Stink Magnetic.

Limited release of 200 only, including acts like Voodoo Savage & His Savages, Boss Christ, Bad Evil, House on Haunted Hill and the Damned Evangelist!

Can't find a pic of the cover, but here is a background link on the Sonic Werewolf Conference release party which I attended in Wanganui a couple of weeks back:

http://www.radionz.co.nz/national/programmes/musicfeatures/20101204

CN

Toto, j'ai l'impression que nous ne sommes plus au Kansas !

[ Edited by: Club Nouméa 2010-12-22 16:09 ]

H

Bumping this old thread.

love music with a lot of percussion instruments, this album is one of my favorites.

Lately I've been listening to Soul Time in Hawai'i by Ohta San, Song of the Islands by Marty Robbins, The Chantays, Song of the Xtabay by Ima Sumac, and The Ultralounge Martin Denny compilation (of which I NEVER tire!).

Just brought this home from the record shop

Jan-Michael Vincent & the Surftones
with guests Gary Busey & the Greatest American Hero!

Believe it or not...

H

Was in the mood for vibes. This Lionel Hampton music sure makes you feel like being in a dark bar and having cocktails all night.

H

Love all his music specially the trumpet solos by Bobby Hackett.

I really, REALLY need to hear those Jackie Gleason albums.

I am so in love with this lately:

TM

I ordered and received this gem; Eumir Deodato's first album "Lounge '64". This kind of stuff has always been straight up my alley: Lush strings, smooth trombones, flutes and bongos. Made for the urban bachelor pad.....a great bunch of Mancini covers!

H

EJ

Saw a post about these guys on Instagram and really liked them.

http://www.kinkywaikiki.com/listen/

TR

Tonights playlist includes Willie Nelson's homage to island reggae album 'Countryman'-Herb Alpert's 'Greatest Hits'- and The Wailers 'Burnin'

[ Edited by: Tiki Roa 2016-03-30 19:48 ]

K

huh?...what??

TM

On 2016-03-30 20:38, komohana wrote:

huh?...what??

Well, at least Herb Alpert is a logical descendent of the lounge/exotica style.....Julius Wechter (a member of the Tijuana brass), the marimba/vibe player who also formed the Baja marimba band, also was one of the last mallet players for Martin Denny, (if I am recalling that correctly), and the same people (adults over 30) who 10 years before would have been listening to les baxter, Denny and lyman would have beeen able to find solace in the Tijuana Brass and Baja marimba (and Sergio mendes) once rock music/youth culture started taking over the public consciousness.

The island reggae, nope. I am not being negative, just pointing out that island reggae has nothing to do with the mid century poly-pop aesthetic. Here come the flamers.....1,2,3......and GO!!!!

TR

Esquival was a total badass-is he tiki enough for ya?

TM

On 2016-04-04 19:10, Tiki Roa wrote:
Esquival was a total badass-is he tiki enough for ya?

Out of the following :

"Exotica, Lounge, Cocktail, Hawaiian, Vocals & Standards, Bump & Grind, Space-Age, Surf, Rockabilly, Swing and Tiki band discussion"

Esquivel hits about 6 of those styles, so yeah.

H

H
Hamo posted on Mon, May 14, 2018 7:55 PM

Bump. We’re really good at updating the “What Are You Drinking” thread; I wonder if can we revive this one.

I’m really enjoying Phil Moore’s “Polynesian Paradise” album as I do a few boring chores (like balancing my checkbook, if anyone remembers what that is).

F
FranNL posted on Sun, Aug 5, 2018 4:58 AM

I'm playing right now "Jungle Rock" by Hank Mizell 7". Nice raw rock n roll (may I say rockabilly?) recorded in 1958. Didn't get any "media" recommencement untill the 70s. "Anyways here a funny note from Wikipedia: Charly Records (UK) then re-released "Jungle Rock" in March 1976 and it duly made Number 3 in the UK Singles Chart, and Number 1 in the Dutch charts. Mizell was 53 years old when he finally made it into pop's history books. When the record was played on BBC TV's flagship pop music show Top of the Pops in April 1976, host Tony Blackburn announced they could not find Mizell, and so the dance group Pan's People dressed in khaki blouses, shorts and pith helmets, danced along to the record with several extras in animal costumes representing the animals mentioned in the song"

Hier is the link to that top of the pops:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_A3D_lCZDsE

This is the cover of my copy (French press)

I’m listening to the new reissue (I think?) of Mulatu Astatke’s Afro Latin Soul Vols. 1&2. It grooves so hard

I just searched the forum for Mulatu and there were ZERO results. Maybe I searched incorrectly? I mean it leans a little more to the lounge side than exotica sometimes but there are bird calls and frog noises in some of these jams. I figured I was going to be the last to know amongst the Tikiphiles.

[ Edited by: Cutcarefullyplayloud 2018-08-14 11:27 ]

On 2018-08-05 04:58, FranNL wrote:
I'm playing right now "Jungle Rock" by Hank Mizell 7". Nice raw rock n roll (may I say rockabilly?) recorded in 1958. Didn't get any "media" recommencement untill the 70s. "Anyways here a funny note from Wikipedia: Charly Records (UK) then re-released "Jungle Rock" in March 1976 and it duly made Number 3 in the UK Singles Chart, and Number 1 in the Dutch charts. Mizell was 53 years old when he finally made it into pop's history books. When the record was played on BBC TV's flagship pop music show Top of the Pops in April 1976, host Tony Blackburn announced they could not find Mizell, and so the dance group Pan's People dressed in khaki blouses, shorts and pith helmets, danced along to the record with several extras in animal costumes representing the animals mentioned in the song"

Hier is the link to that top of the pops:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_A3D_lCZDsE

This is the cover of my copy (French press)

Fran that TOTP is priceless! I’d only ever heard the Replacements version of the song but man the original is great.

On 2018-05-14 19:55, Hamo wrote:
Bump. We’re really good at updating the “What Are You Drinking” thread; I wonder if can we revive this one.

I’m really enjoying Phil Moore’s “Polynesian Paradise” album as I do a few boring chores (like balancing my checkbook, if anyone remembers what that is).

stereo copies go for big cash! This in your collection?
)

H
Hamo posted on Mon, Aug 20, 2018 7:32 PM

On 2018-08-17 03:44, Adam Aku Aku wrote:

stereo copies go for big cash! This in your collection?

Nope. I just have a digital version of the album. My vinyl “collection” consists of a couple of Reader’s Digest boxed sets and an LP with a few episodes of the old time radio show, “The Shadow,” all of which my brother-in-law keeps, since he has the turntable.

F

I'm listening to Mongo Santamaria and a great tune called Afro Blue, recorded in 1959. Fantastic Afro Cuban latin jazz with that exotica feeling. Here the link to the song on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbE7jf_Hp5w
Enjoy

Los Angeles based HEALING GEMS put out a solid EXOTICA ep called JUNGLE FLOWER earlier this year. They describe themselves as "Space Age Tequila Sunrise, Trash Lounge, Lava Pop from Los Angeles." You can find it on their bandcamp, Apple Music, Spotify, or wherever you like to stream.

https://healinggems.bandcamp.com/

Pages: 1 2 78 replies