Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Tiki Food Recipes

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 223 replies

Tiki Chex mix sounds good (except the wasabi, YUK! :D ) How about a dried tropical fruit mix for those with a sweet tooth?

J

I'm thinking that Tiki chex mix might work -- wasabi peas being picked-outable! -- and maybe wonton chips? I suppose a dried fruit mix might also be viable, but most bar snacks lean to the spicy/salty to get folks drinking some more.

J

A cool link from the people at Cook's Country on approximating Kalua Pork:

http://www.cookscountry.com/recipes/Hawaiian-Style-Smoked-Pork-Kalua-Pork-/30887/?Extcode=L2HN1AA00

(Hurry up and print it out, these links don't stay live forever...)

J
J

Turns out my birthday will be on a Saturday this year and so, a Tikifest is to be held.

Any suggestions (in terms of a recipe/flavor combination, not decoration) for a Tiki cake?

Mahalo in advance.

On 2013-03-25 10:29, jokeiii wrote:
Turns out my birthday will be on a Saturday this year and so, a Tikifest is to be held.

Any suggestions (in terms of a recipe/flavor combination, not decoration) for a Tiki cake?

Mahalo in advance.

Banana cake with toasted coconut over a peanut butter cream icing.

Q

On 2013-03-25 10:45, Hale Tiki wrote:

On 2013-03-25 10:29, jokeiii wrote:

Mahalo in advance.

Banana cake with toasted coconut over a peanut butter cream icing.

Banana cake sounds good!

How about a rum cake with an orange glaze? You could sprinkle toasted, slivered almonds over it for a topper, add orange zest or even lime zest to the glaze. It would be a Mai-Tai cake. :)

I bet you could take base ingredients from any number of drink recipes and turn them into some sort of cake combination. I want some... with a side of rum please!

It's been talked about on another TC thread, but the tiki cocktail cake would be my pick.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/tiki-cocktail-cake-recipe/index.html

This is another great loooking cake, although maybe a bit labor intensive for a party. Mango-Passionfruit Mousse wth Coconut Meringue and Almond Cake.

If you want to go casual cake pops are a good option.

Tiki torch cake pops

Obviously I like coconut and chocolate!

HT

Those all look amazing.

I made myself a giant sushi cake a few years ago, it isn't the one pictured below, but that's where I got the idea, except I used super thin slices of watermelon for the ginger. It was amazing.

I think this year, I may need to make a tiki mug cake now :)

The Disneyland blog had a recipe for Zesty Firecracker Duck Wings which you can get at the Carthay Circle Restaurant and Lounge.
I think these would fit in nicely on a modern tiki/luau menu. If you disagree, I'm sorry in advance. I'm going to make the recipe this weekend with chicken.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2013/03/zesty-firecracker-duck-wings-from-carthay-circle-restaurant-and-lounge-at-disney-california-adventure-park/

Fire Cracker Duck Wings
Serves 6-8

Wings
•1 teaspoon olive oil
•1 orange, zested (no white pith) and chopped
•1 cup yellow onion, coarsely chopped
•1 cup carrots, coarsely chopped
•1 cup celery, coarsely chopped
•1/2 cup brown sugar
•1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
•2 lemongrass stalks, tops and root-end trimmed and crushed with back of knife to release flavor
•2 tablespoons fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
•2 tablespoons garlic, coarsely chopped
•2 red jalapeño peppers, cut in half lengthwise
•4-5 kaffir lime leaves
•2 cups soy sauce
•1 quart chicken stock
•3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
•Coarse salt and pepper to taste
•25 duck wings, tips removed and cut in half at joint

Tempura Batter
•2 cups flour
•3 cups cold seltzer water
•1 teaspoon coarse salt
•2 tablespoons cornstarch, more if needed

Wing Sauce
•1 cup butter
•1/4 cup soy sauce
•1/2 cup Sriracha hot chili sauce

For wings:

1.Preheat oven to 350˚F.
2.Place oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add orange zest toast for 3 to 4 minutes. Add onion, carrots, and celery, stirring until slightly caramelized. Add brown sugar and vinegar and reduce by half, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add lemongrass, ginger, garlic, jalapeños, lime leaves, and soy sauce. Reduce by half, about 4 to 5 minutes.
3.Add chicken stock and bring to boil. Reduce to simmer and add cilantro. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
4.Place duck wings in a single layer in large roasting pan. (Two pans might be needed depending on number of wings and size.) Pour liquid over wings, making sure meat is completely covered.
5.Cover pan with foil. Braise for 1 1/2 hours; check for tenderness and cook longer if necessary.
6.Remove wings from braising liquid and place in separate pan. Strain braising liquid, then pour over wings. Refrigerate until cooled.
For tempura batter:

1.Mix together flour, seltzer water, and coarse salt. Refrigerate until tread to use.
2.Reserve cornstarch for dredging wings.
For wing sauce:

1.Melt butter in small saucepan over low heat.
2.Add soy sauce and Sriracha, mixing thoroughly. Set aside and keep warm.
To serve:

1.Pat wings dry. Dredge in tempura batter, then roll in small amount of cornstarch. Add more cornstarch if necessary.
2.Prepare deep fryer, including oil amount, according to machine instructions. Place coated wings one by one directly into fryer, with basket submerged in oil. Lift basket and shake occasionally to make sure wings don’t stick together. Fry until crispy, watching closely so as not to overcook. Remove from fryer and toss wings with warm sauce. Squeeze fresh lime over wings and keep warm until all wings are cooked.
3.Serve immediately.

J

I do not disagree one tiny bit! Keep 'em coming! My only suggestion, for those of us who simply canNOT get red jalapeños, is to replace with Fresno chiles.

Thanks for posting this.

[ Edited by: jokeiii 2013-06-11 12:26 ]

HT

I've never had those, but I want them.

J

I'm guessing those duck wings will also release a lot of drippings which might be:

a) repurposed for something else, or
b) used in the frying

Just a thought.

Made some deep fried ribs for a Southern Style dinner. Seasoned and completely baked them, dipped them in egg, dredged them in seasoned flour, then deep fried them just long enough to cook the coating - about 3 to 5 minutes. They were good, but what does that have to do with Tiki food?

I glazed some leftover fried ribs in spicy orange sauce and they were DELICIOUS!!! I would have done some things differently if I had planned to use them as "Tiki" food; cut them in half for appitizers, season with Chinese Five Spice, and dredge in cornstarch instead of seasoned flour. Could glaze with spicy orange, sweet & sour, or char siu.

Q

That sounds great MDM! I bet they would also be great if you smoked them first, then breaded/fried/glazed.

Yum!

If you want authentic tiki style fried ribs (Pipi Kaula) it is actually pretty easy yet can be somewhat unnerving to some in how you prepare them.

You take beef short ribs, cut them up recs will explain it better), give them a dunk in a soy based marinade, then let them hang/dry in the air for hours up to a day before frying them.

Had dinner at the Tonga Hut Palm Springs on Saturday, you should go as soon as you get a chance. I ordered Chef Sherman Chan's Kalua Pork - I expected shredded pork as it is usually served, but was surprised to get a couple of large chunks instead. It was delicious, tender and juicy with just enough sweetness in the glaze and a hint of Chinese Five Spice. I decided to try an "inspired" version. I took a 4 pound pork loin and cut it into 8 portions. I dropped it in the Crock Pot on low for 10 hours with a bottle of Spicy Hawaiian Mango marinade. Then I carefully pulled the braised chunks out and placed them on a cookie sheet. I sprinkled a little Five Spice on and brushed them with bottled Honey Teriyaki, stuck them in a 350 oven until the glaze started to caramelize (about 10-15 minutes) and then garnished them with a little toasted sesame seed.

Turned out excellent (not as good as the Tonga Hut of course :D ) Elegant and very easy, total hand-on time was probably only 15 minute, a nice addition to the Tiki Food repertoire

T

Not quite sure where or why I ran across this recipe, but this what's cooking up right now!

SWEET HAWAIIAN CROCK-POT CHICKEN

2 lb. Chicken tenderloin chunks
1 cup pineapple juice
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup soy sauce

Combine all together, cook on low in Crock-pot 6-8 hours...that's it! Done! Serve with brown rice and you have a complete, easy meal!!

[ Edited by: Tele295 2014-03-25 11:53 ]

Oh that looks really good. It would go well with the Spam Fried Rice I'm making right now :)

That SWEET HAWAIIAN CROCK-POT CHICKEN does sound good, I might just add some fresh Ginger
to the recipe and give it a try, it has been a long time since I did anything so simple.

T

I'll top it with some shredded coconut too

When I make it again, I might experiment with some Chinese 5-spice

[ Edited by: Tele295 2014-03-25 19:25 ]

Ohhh, the crock pot chicken does sound good. I'm thinking instead of just pineapple juice, use some fresh pineapple chunks and a touch of ginger (maybe some 5-spice). I just can't leave a recipe alone. HAHA

• Dale

And a dash of Sesame oil & Hot Garlic paste, me thinks.

That chicken pictured doesn't look like it would be the result of your recipe though since it appears to be fried like chicken karage.

T

Yeah, it didn't come out anything like the picture than came with the recipe

LOL, my first thought was that the picture didn't look like it came from a crock pot. Don't get me wrong, I love slow cooker recipes ~ but that looked fried and sauced

Finally getting around to doing a luau-style pool party for the 4th of July. I am kicking around the idea of doing Kahlua Pig for the party, and was wondering if any of you had done one that way (the whole pit in the ground style) and had any advice or tips, or seasoning ideas. Also, if you have any ideas on other recipes to accompany the pig? I have gotten a lot of good ideas here on this thread! Any input would be appreciated!

J

Have never tried to dig anything in my backyard, so in that respect I can't help. But! Here is my go-to "hack" on Kalua Pork, from Cook's Country Magazine via a blogger, since the link I posted earlier is dead.

http://traceysculinaryadventures.com/2012/09/hawaiian-style-smoked-pork-kalua-pork.html

The seasoning is spot-on and approximates the banana leaf thing really well.

HTH!

Lil Chef here is a link

Look for my post dated 2011-12-10. PM me if you have any questions

Mike

J

Another great, tiki-able recipe... Miso grilled shrimp

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/grilled-miso-shrimp

J
J

Something I'm working on (from Emeril Legasse's “The Art of Tiki: A Cocktail Showdown” at the South Beach Food & Wine Festival earlier this year) is this Tiki slider:

A Hawaiian sweet roll stuffed with braised short ribs (Korean kalbi) with hybrid slaw/kimchi topping and a cilantro garlic mayonnaise (i.e., aioli). The original had a little fried quail egg, too...but I may skip that as being a bit too fussy. (Edited to credit the chef who came up with this: Eric Rhee of Terrazza.)

Stay tuned!

[ Edited by: jokeiii 2015-06-16 11:20 ]

J
Jeje posted on Fri, Jun 19, 2015 4:03 AM

I've made calcutta curry from a recipe that can be found in the book Trader Vic's Tiki Party a couple of times. It's very delicious and the ingredients are cheap and easy to find. The only little (?) tweak I've made to the recipe is that I double or triple the amount of coconut milk and add some sugar, making it extremely creamy. This may be something to make for kids!

J

On 2015-06-19 04:03, Jeje wrote:
I've made calcutta curry from a recipe that can be found in the book Trader Vic's Tiki Party a couple of times. It's very delicious and the ingredients are cheap and easy to find. The only little (?) tweak I've made to the recipe is that I double or triple the amount of coconut milk and add some sugar, making it extremely creamy. This may be something to make for kids!

Post it, with your tweaks...pretty please.

J
Jeje posted on Sun, Jun 28, 2015 2:45 AM

What about tiki pancakes?

Ceylon cinnamon syrup with pancakes is very tasty. Next time I´ll try to add some coconut flakes to the pancake batter.

Are you referring to Scandinavian style pancakes (thin crepes) or American style?

J
Jeje posted on Mon, Jun 29, 2015 12:26 AM

American style, made with baking soda.

How about outrigger canoe food? I was making zucchini boats - this is Italian with sausage, peppers, mushrooms, and mozz cheese. And I thought why not? Fill them with kalua pork, rice?, grilled pineapple?, etc. Add a small zucchini or asparagus outrigger and some bamboo skewers to connect the outrigger to the canoe, put it on an ocean blue plate. Add a cucumber orca if you want. Viola - Tiki entree and salad :lol:

Very nice, the Orca is stunning and simple! A nice and very entertaining garnish. Yer making me hungry...!!

OK, here it is - Zucchini War Canoe filled with White Rice and Kalua Pork, Grilled Pineapple Outrigger, and Cucumber Orca on a lagoon blue plate

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2016-04-12 18:30 ]

BB

I recently came across this Longines Symphonette box set, and I almost didn't grab it until I found out what else was inside. The music is pretty much what you'd expect - absurdly lush string arrangements, dance band versions of Hawaiian songs, and vocals that would be right at home on the Lawrence Welk show (although I should say that you could easily lift all the dance band songs from this collection and make a half-decent album.)

In reality, this is a "Luau in a Box." Stuffed in with the discs was all the original album club ephemera, including two sweepstakes entries for a Hawaiian vacation and a picture book of the islands with "suggested recipes" to accompany your exotic listening party. The recipes, like the music, are highly westernized and geared toward your average 1971 shopping list.

Out of the list the most appetizing ones look like the ginger-honey chicken with snow peas and the honey-butter glazed fruit-and-coconut kebabs.

J

For the life of me, I can't figure out why broiling was so popular back then...

J
J

I've posted the recipes before, but here are videos of Huli Huli chicken and "Chinese" BBQ spareribs. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K3uR-5UcDqA

BB

Here's one that was reportedly a favorite of my Grandmother in the '60s: Polynesian Pork.

2 pork chops, trimmed and cubed
egg wash
cornstarch
1/4 C chopped green onion
2 bell peppers, julienned
1/2 can (1 1/2 C) chunk pineapple
(drain juice for later use)
1/4 C soy sauce
1/4 C mirin

Coat the cubed pork with the egg wash. Cover with cornstarch and let rest for 15-20 minutes. In a high-sided pan, fry the pork cubes in 1 inch of hot oil until golden brown, being careful not to overfill the pan. Rest the fried pork on a paper towel to drain. Drain the oil from the pan and save the browned cornstarch.

In the same high-sided pan, saute the vegetables in oil over high heat until tender. Remove vegetables from pan. Add browned cornstarch, pineapple juice, soy sauce, and mirin. Cook this mixture, adding more cornstarch until the sauce thickens. Return vegetables to the pan, and add pineapple chunks. Stir until hot. Serve with the fried pork over rice or fried noodles.

J

I may try it with fresh pineapple!

[ Edited by: jokeiii 2016-08-09 13:17 ]

BB

Picked up this recipe flier at a little German gift shop on my latest trip to the Midwest. It's an absolute time capsule of a place - the window displays are bleached pure blue. The pile of pamphlets has evidently been sitting there, barely touched, since the 1980s. Fair warning: if you're not a fan of Swiss cheese, these recipes aren't for you.

"Pupu with a Swiss Accent"

"Cheese Puffs Aloha"

"Chäswähe (cheese pie) Kiwi"

"Yakitori Suisse"

"Ku-Jul-Pan" with choice of three fillings

Hang10Tiki hooked me up with some cookbooks at Tiki Oasis :D
"The New Wiki Wiki Kau Kau"
"The Friends of Iolani Palace Cook Book"
"Tropical Drinks and Pupus from Hawaii"
"Hawaiian Prized Pineapple Recipes'

Some of the cook books are arguable from the "devolution" period but the 1964 Wiki Wiki Kau Kau is undeniably Tiki. Let's see what I can find in here to cook.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 223 replies