Name:Mauna Loa
Type:bar
Street:
City:Cancun
State:
Zip:
Phone:

Description:
An aunt of mine told me when she Honeymooned in Cancun in 1976 she visited a tiki bar there. I am positive about this information because I asked her key questions like : "Did they served coctails in "exotic mugs and glassware?" Plus, she is from Pamplona, Spain and knows a tiki bar when she sees one. She frequently visited one in Salou, Spain's Costa Brava...
Also, I know of an exotic dancer and a musician who worked in this bar. I think the name was (is?) Mauna Loa but I am not sure... I have never seen any physical evidence of this place but I give my Mexican Tiki Ambassador word that it existed. Help me find information/evidence about this place.

[ Edited by: Zeta 2016-08-18 21:28 ]

Z
Zeta posted on Wed, Nov 3, 2010 11:21 PM

Built by the same architectural firm that did the Mauna Loa plaza in Mexico City.

Here's one for Zeta, our long lost Ambassador of Tiki in Mexico. The mystery restaurant was indeed named the Mauna Loa as evidenced by this matchbook.

The bar was aptly named the Krakatoa.

The graphics on the matchbook match the graphics from the Mauna Loa in Mexico City, confirming the same design team and operator.

I found this photo of the exterior of the Cancun Mauna Loa after it was destroyed by Hurricane Gilbert in 1988.

Looks to be a similar design to the Mauna Loa in Mexico City.

Can we get a moderator to add Mauna Loa to the title since Zeta is gone?

DC

Z
Zeta posted on Thu, Aug 18, 2016 9:26 PM

Gracias Dusty! I missed you too amigo!
My aunt went to Mauna Loa Cancun as a newly wed. Now I know it was real... seemed like a great one! I will try to do some more research!

One more for Zeta tonight, a photo of the Mauna Loa Cancun interior (nice Tiki in the back).

DC

Z
Zeta posted on Thu, Sep 1, 2016 8:53 PM

Awesome! Thanks Dusty! Same tiki style as The Mauna Loa in D.f.
Where did you find it?

Pages: 1 5 replies