Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Wendy Cevola - New colors of the Frank mug by Frankoma now available.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 10,816 replies

It's just stunning work, Wendy. You're creating some automatic classics that make the connection between Tiki past and Tiki present. And furthermore, wow.

Lookin gooooooooood...

T

I really love seeing all the process pictures that you post. Great info and some really nice work. Thanks for sharing!

Professor G your photography is stunning so thank you for ranking my work up there with yours. Your Super Carved Bob seems to be every ones favorite. When you asked for the Zombie Torch palm trees to be added to your mug it opened a whole new door to what I do with Bob's. Wait until you see the Wish List Bob's coming soon.

hang10tiki that's what I would say about your tiki lounge. I'm so happy to be part of it.

Turtle thanks for stopping by. I try to post every day so that people who have been on my waiting lists can see that one day their work will be done and on the way to them. My reward for posting are the notes I get and love to read. So thank you men. Cheers, Wendy

Progress Report:

I made another decision yesterday. As you know over a week ago I decided that the mugs needed more glaze. We sprayed them all again and fired them. It was worth the time effort and costs to make them better.

Yesterday I tried every mix of colors for the nipples and they all clashed. The richer colors for the mugs didn't work well for skin color. I didn't want to start another nipple controversy!

I decided that I will paint every woman as if she were an oil painting. I am very happy with this decision. It will take longer but the woman look so much better. I even added a touch of blush to the high cheek bone.

I baked a couple of glaze tests and mugs yesterday after painting them and I hope you like them and the nipple color. I kind of choose one that worked with the flower.

Let me know what you think. I'll keep going now to make them all look like this.

I added some black paint to make the eyes and mouth look deeper.
Thanks Swizzle you gave me the idea.

We continue to pour every other day for the Wish List projects.

They are stacking up.

I'll post these as I go just like in the past. Thank you for making this fun.
Cheers, Wendy

There will be no nipple controversy in my house. Until my kids turn 18, I'm only "allowed" to display the Zombie side out.

As far as the mug is concerned...

Stunning. Perfect. Wonderful. Thank you for doing this and for the careful attention to detail. I'm chomping at the bit to drink out of mine.

SIMPLY GORGEOUS,WENDY!
All that hard work paid off BIGTIME!
Instant Classic brought to LIFE!
:)

They look great Wendy & the "Nips" are what they should be!
all the extra detail is pushing these over the top of "Excellence"

B

Looks great Wendy! Another wonderful piece of art!

awesome...

well look what came in the mail today...

WENDY, you made my day...

(ps- roger was great to deal with, super fast.)

hanging in "THE HONU HIDEAWAY"

Worst sound ever, slurp of an empty tiki mug through my straw!!!

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2012-04-19 00:21 ]

Great job Wendy!! You and Dan sure know how to turn out some beautiful pieces. Keep up the great work and keep sharing those pics.

Thanks!

Wow! Hang10, that is beautiful!

Now I get to say Wow Wow Wow I loved getting all these terrific messages.

Thank you:

dartharni girl to the wall until your kids turn 18? That's terrific you are good parents.

little lost tiki thank you so much. I hope that it will become a classic and saved in collections like all of your fine art.

Atomic Tiki Punk I'm so glad that you approve the color!

bavtech thanks for checking in see you soon.

hang10tiki Roge and I really appreciated your photos of the Moai. I've decided to mold my sculpt and to turn it into a bowl in the future.

littlegiles I think she's beautiful and I'm so glad you do too.

zerostreet I think you and I are both hung in the Honu Hideaway. I hope to visit it one day.

Progress Report:

Confession I didn't work on the Zombie Torches yesterday. First off I talked to my best friend on the phone for an hour because I haven't seen her in so long. Then I did Spanish for an hour, loved it. Then Dan and I went out to lunch.

When we got back I worked on taking all these molds apart and cleaning up the sculpts.

These are tikis for the Wish List. This shows some of them. All together I spent 3.5 hours cleaning the tikis and wrapping them in plastic wrap.

So by dinner time I just wanted to sit in the recliner with the TV on and carve a Super Carved Bob for mymotiki.

For fun I slipped in a few MM's for mymotiki on the back.

The Wish list has 13 Super Carved Bobs, 3 Missionary's Downfall bowls, 2 Tiki Bob bowls and 2 Bumatay bowls. I am sure I'll have lots of photographs to post as these projects unfold. I hope you will all join me as I work.

I promise to paint a group of the woman for the Zombie Torch today.

Cheers, Wendy

I have always had mixed feelings about the Bob Mugs
But yours are the very best version and that you infuse a Tiki aesthetic
into them that I think the originals lack makes these true masterworks!

^Amen ATP!

S

On 2012-04-19 12:09, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
I have always had mixed feelings about the Bob Mugs
But yours are the very best version and that you infuse a Tiki aesthetic
into them that I think the originals lack makes these true masterworks!

My feelings for Bob are certainly not mixed but i agree with you 100% about the rest ATP. I didn't place an order this time around but when the day comes that i finally decide to add a Bob to my collection, it will be without a doubt one of Wendys super carved versions.

All the mugs are looking fantastic as usual Wendy and i'm flattered that you actually went with my suggestion.

H
harro posted on Fri, Apr 20, 2012 4:27 AM

Hi Wendy!

What a treat it is to get on TC to feast on the eye candy in your thread! It's the first place i come when i steal some time to get on here and i always need to go through your posts twice as i'm like an over-excited kid - I just wanna see all the pics first and then i like to go back and read all the stories and explanations that you so kindly spend the time to write.

Those women on the zombie mugs are soo gorgeous... man i wish i had been able to get on that list earlier as those will be an instant collectable and pride of anyone's collection!

Keep up the good work and looking forward to seeing more! :)

M

If there was ever a mug that I would build a single display for.....it would be this one.

Could I be placed on a list for one just like this?

Awesome Wendy & Dan

Mahalo

McTiki

I always thought Tiki Bob looked like a carved apple, but that one is amazing!

Hi Everyone another Wow you all wrote to me day, I love it.

Yesterday I took time to go and re-read the thread on Tiki Bob San Francisco. It shows the Bob poll that still exists outside on the street all these years since the place closed. Bob started it all. This design opened up the idea of tiki as art with all the variations that have come since. He should be one of the first tikis in a collection. On the other hand it is a very simple face. I like changing it to a more detailed mug.

Atomic Tiki Punk thank you. I spend around 4 hours to do a straight carve and far more if I add to the mug. I just love doing them so I'll continue.

The Blue Kahuna I'm looking forward to seeing you with the South of the Boarder Bob at Cha Cha's in May.

Swizzle you were right a little black added to deepen the eyes and mouth look good and have been worth it.

harro your note was the best present ever. I spend an hour each morning adding notes and photos and to know that you really enjoy them touches my heart. I thank all my loyal fans for making this worthwhile.

McTiki I don't copy any mugs. I can do similar but they are all 1/1's. I am doing one with my Zombie palms in the future but it will be very different. Let me know what you like best about this mug.

Big Kahuna hey both my Kahuha guys wrote. I used to carve apples and let them shrivel into elderly people. That was fun but now my life is tikis tikis tikis with lots of Bobs.

Progress Report:

I painted from morning to night. I got 21 of the 30 Zombie Torch mugs done. They have to dry 24 hours and then bake for 45 minutes. and then cool in the oven. Of course this baking has started when the temperature here is in the 80's. My timing is off if only it were cold outside. I've already baked the first 4 this morning. Soon I'll be back downstairs painting and baking the rest.

The first five woman I painted yesterday. I then paint the Zombie but I didn't take a photo.

Pinup photo.

As I paint one I line it up in the kitchen to wait their turn in the oven.

My order of boxes have arrived. An inner good fit box and an outer box with room enough to protect the mug from bumps.

Dan is going to start taping the boxes together. The time is near! So I better go now and paint the rest. Thanks for the visit and notes, Wendy

As Herman Munster would say: "Oh,Boy!, Oh,Boy!, Oh,Boy!"

Big Kahuna oh woman oh woman oh woman I can't believe I'm getting close!

Yesterday morning I started on the last batch to paint. On all 30 over the last few days I also painted the Zombie.

I lined them up in the kitchen do dry over night. Today I will bake them four at a time.

While I painted Dan taped 40 boxes together. I have a lot of people who will pick them up here so we held off putting their boxes together.

What's left? I will photograph a couple for a signature card. I will print and number them. I will also paint the earring of each Zombie with a cold paint that isn't baked. I will print out a page on information on the care of the woman. She is delicate.

Did you notice the "I will" lining up, I didn't even try it just happened. I like the small things in life.

I hope your weekend is fun. Ours will be because we are working with tikis.

Cheers, Wendy

Thanks for the latest installment in the "Adventures of Dan & Wendy!" I love following the step by step progress of all your work! It's better than any tv show.

Hi Lori Loves Tikis. This adventure is coming to its conclusion and we survived! Thank you for keeping our ratings up.

Progress Report:

Yesterday I photographed the mug for a signature card.

I wrote and printed a page on how to use and care for your mug. I numbered and signed the cards.

I found some stickers to seal the envelopes. I cut up sheets of earthquake putty and used tape to seal the sides.

Each envelope contains the numbered card the instruction sheet and the putty.

Once the envelopes were stuffed I took them downstairs to the shipping area (our dining room)

At the last minute I decided to use some ceramic gold paint and to add it to the Zombies earring. This decorative paint is for ceramics that hang on the wall so I don't know if it will stay on if it gets wet. It was just an after thought anyway.

The last load of 4 is in the oven setting the enamel. So I am all done and ready to box them and to ship.

I am going to post the list here and add notes to it. Remember your number may bump up the list. I am going to request 2 payments. The first will be the $125 for the mug. Then with your address I will take your box to the United States Post Office to get an exact amount for shipping. These are double boxed and the mugs weigh as much as four pounds so it will be up there. I will then request a second payment for shipping costs which will include $2 for.

I will deliver mugs to events if you want to wait. For some people I've held Bob's which will ship with the Zombie mugs.

I hope to see all of my Sacramento Ohana at Cha Cha's or at my home. There is also Caliente and Tiki Oasis 12 and we are considering Don the Beachcomber's event held by Woo Hoo Wahinie and Soccer Tiki. Their event couldn't be more fun.

I hope I have remembered every thing. Wait to hear from me today. Cheers, Wendy

1. Mikeytiki
  2. The Blue Kahuna - pick up here
  3. The Big Kahuna
  4. TikiTomD ship with Fu Manchu Bob
  5. Loki-Tiki Jeffrey pick up at event?
  6. ebtiki
  7. rugbymatt - pick up here
  8. Liddle Lola - pick up here
  9. Marone Tiki - pick up here
  10. WestADad - ship with Super Carved Bob
  11. CDTiki - pick up here?
  12. Diana - pick up here?
  13. blacksandz ship with PNG Bob
  14. Tiki-Tonga - hold to go with his Missionary's Downfall Bowl?
  15. Kahaka
  16. Steve Soto pick up here.
  17. Chuck Tatum is Tiki
  18. Joe Banks pick up at Caliente
  19. Psycho Tiki D pick up here
  20. bavtech pick up here
  21. WaikikianMoekele
  22. tikiskip
  23. hang10tiki pick up at Claiente
  24. dartharnie
  25. Aquatic Safarinaut pick up here?
  26. Joanne K. pick up at Caliente with Bumatay bowl
  27. ChopTop pick up here
  28. whoseyrtiki
  29. Holler Waller
  30. Tikiwahini

You number will move up if someone drops off.

Swizzle = owns the flame-less mug as per his request

New list of people wanting a mug if someone backs out. The above run is of 30 Tiki Torch mugs with the flame.

Waiting List:

littlegiles
harro
bigbrotiki
Atomic Chick
HB Tiki
David Blair
TedTiki
mymotiki
Philot
BaconSM

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2012-04-22 08:40 ]

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2012-04-22 09:27 ]

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2012-04-23 14:28 ]

I can't find you Tikiwahini under search. Please contact me ASAP, Wendy

G
GROG posted on Sun, Apr 22, 2012 10:48 AM

FULL PRODUCTION MODE!!!!! Awesome.

Come help GROG finish GROG' crap! Or just send Dan.

Grog Dan no leave his woman no matter how much she abuse him.

HELP HELP HELP Paypal is not sending addresses along with the payment. Please PM me with your address or email it so I can box and find out shipping charges.

Thank you, Wendy

W

After fighting a plumbing problem all day today, how nice to fire up the computer, pop into Tiki Central and see wonderful mugs being readied for shipment.

Thank you Wendy and Dan for all your hard work. I am extremely proud to soon have more of your work in my home.

Best,
Chris

B

My funds are sent! Can't wait to see the mug in person and add to my Wendy shelf!

Wendy,
Fantastic as always! Can you take another picture of that mosaic looking, brightly colored mug behind the torches? That's beautiful & I'd like a closer look!

Lori

HORRORS I MADE A MISTAKE IN THE NOTICE I SENT TO EVERYONE ABOUT THE ZOMBIE TORCH. The deadline for contacting me about your mug is 4/27/12 not the 20th. I need to know by then so I can free up some mugs for the waiting list. So let me know by message or payment. Also be sure to include your address for shipping. Thank you and sorry for my error. Wendy

My last chance to see all the Zombie Torch mugs together was yesterday.

Now they are in the inner box. As I receive payment We will put them into box number two and send them off.

Now I'll be working on the WISH LIST Bob's and Bowls.

Lori Loves Tiki's as per your request photos of Mosaic Bob. I made this for
Atomic Chick

Bob can be made into endless designs. I've often wondered why I've not been asked to make a clown Bob. Maybe I'll make one for eBay.

Soon I'll be posting photos of these projects. Thank you for visiting and posting.
WestADad I'll be so happy if you post a photo when you have them.
bavtech see you soon.

Now I'm off to pour Bob's for the list, cheers, Wendy

M

Wendy, How would one hypothetically special order a Bob like the Blue one I so Covet....say in Emerald green with similar Moko on it?

All of your works are spectacular!

I just free'd up about 60 linear feet of mug storage/display space. So, one more Bob couldn't hurt, but, it would have a special place.

Mahalo

McTiki

Hi McTiki, I can't copy any mug but I can do one with the Zombie Torch palm tress on the back and "similar moko". I have on order one with a shack and one with Diamond head. I could do one for you with a small tiki between the palms. But when I carve I don't try to copy a previous mug. These are all 1/1's. So let me know if this works for you.

Thank you for letting me copy your tiki designs in this painting I did last summer. They were perfect for this picture. Cheers, Wendy

Mc Tiki someone saw this and requested my little tiki for a mug of their own. I could make each of your tikis different so that the mugs would be 1/1's or do you have another idea? Wendy

My last chance to see all the Zombie Torch mugs together was yesterday.

I can't believe the day is finally here, yet I have to wait until Caliente to finally get my hands on mine!

Okay, so is anyone else here as tormented as I am about how to display this? Which side out...hhmmmmmmm...maybe I should have gotten two, so I can have either side facing out! :wink:

Wendy, you are so gifted! every time I come to your page I get a warm glow from seeing this wunnerful stuff! My wife was looking at my computer over my shoulder and now echoes my admiration for the great stuff you do! PS- Cass says 'hi'.

~Zero

On 2012-04-23 11:05, Loki-Tiki wrote:
Okay, so is anyone else here as tormented as I am about how to display this? Which side out...hhmmmmmmm...maybe I should have gotten two, so I can have either side facing out! :wink:

You just need to get one of those little turn-tables that they make for display cases, so that it slowly rotates around and both sides are visible... (You can't just have one of the sides not displayed, they are both just too gorgeous!.)

[ Edited by: MikeyTiki 2012-04-23 11:21 ]

Loki, maybe you can put one of those tri-fold mirrors behind it like in a dressing room :D

Wendy, they turned out perfect!!!!!

Mike

S

On 2012-04-23 08:35, danlovestikis wrote:

I've often wondered why I've not been asked to make a clown Bob.

Ummm, isn't he already? :lol:

On 2012-04-23 14:43, swizzle wrote:

On 2012-04-23 08:35, danlovestikis wrote:

I've often wondered why I've not been asked to make a clown Bob.

Ummm, isn't he already? :lol:

:D :D LOL :D :D

Beautiful Wendy! I like that gold earring last minute touch.. I'm hating myself for not getting on that list!!

Well...

For those of you patiently waiting for shipping and delivery or local pick-up, I can assure you; you are going to be dazzled!

Aside from from Dan, I consider myself the luckiest guy in the Wendy Cevola fan club. I was able to make my way over today and pick-up my newest favorite mug from my two favorite artists. Wendy and Dan have done it yet again with their Zombie Village mug and this one is so detailed and over-the-top spectacular.

I was offered the choice between the two colored finish or the test glaze #1 green glaze. It was a difficult decision and I would have loved to have both, but in the end I chose the artist proof. I really like how the colors and detail pop against the green glaze (but I like how they popped out on the tan too)!

The flame is a very nice extra added touch (I am a huge fan of lidded mugs, hint, hint) rounding out an incredibly detailed mug. Wendy is a perfectionist and the meticulous detail in the painting, sculpting and finish work reflect the hard work and dedication to quality Wendy and Dan have crafted.

So that being said, it has been a great couple of weeks getting my Tiki Bob bowl and now the Zombie Village mug. Can't wait for the Missionary Downfall and Bumatay bowls...

Thanks Dan and Wendy!

I almost forgot...Ami says you have crazy mad skills...loves the mug!

PTD

[ Edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2012-04-23 17:45 ]

Wendy n Dan- sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

PTD- you got yours today, yep, u win

I was going to hold my breath until Caliente, but I passed out

I can't wait...

Loki Tiki I thought only artists were tormented. Dan's on a mission to find a way to spin his tikis.

Zero Tiki say hi to Cass for us. I hope you will be at Caliente or Oasis so we can say it in person. Are you painting and creating more great tiki art? Thank you for letting me know you have a warm glow from my art!

MikeyTiki today we start the final boxing for shipping. We need to buy peanuts we ran out of bubble wrap. You get mug #1.

MadDogMike the mirror is a great idea. You look great in all your creations along with the Bob's I made for you. What a great smile.

Swizzel Tiki Bob is an innovation, be kind. Thank you for the photo of you and Clydesdale exchanging mugs.

Beachbumz from one artist to another, you made my day.

hang10tiki you can hold your breath longer if you practice. See you soon.

Psycho Tiki D what can I say about such a wonderful tribute to this mug. You started it all when you got me to make the first Zombie Hut/Coral Reef mug for the Sacramento Crawl. August will be our 2 year anniversary of making ceramics. I love doing this art so a huge THANK YOU Duane so very much.

Progress Report:

Today will be a major boxing and go to the post office for shipping charges day. So many of you will hear from us with the last bill for this mug.

We poured for the first time. This will be Psycho Tiki D's Missionary's Downfall bowl if it works. Dan poured in the slip.

It sat for 2 hours.

Dan poured out the slip. This is such messy work.

This thing weighs so much I can't pick it up at all. Dan put it on boards to drain.

At the end of the day we turned it over and I covered with with plastic wrap so it will dry out slowly. I saw a few cracks where the slip was thick. I fixed those and then covered it. Slow drying helps.

Duane picking up a Glaze Test mug. This was the first one out the door.

Last night while watching TV with Dan I carved the rings in 9 Tiki Bobs for the 3 bowls ordered on the Wish List.

Now its time to get to work. Cheers, Wendy

I think I saw the ring shavings on eBay

hang10tiki I hope those shavings do well, thanks for letting me know.

Progress Report:

Hi Friends yesterday I organized all the boxes of mugs according to their destinations. Sacramento events, Caliente, hold to go with Bob's and ship them NOW. We shipped all those that needed to go. But first I needed to shop!

The story of the original Missionary's Downfall bowl continues.

I wanted to turn the mold over and have the bowl drop out so Dan screwed these on to make space for the bowl to fall.

We turned it over.

The mold weighs around 50 pounds so it squashed the brackets.

Dan put the mold out back with a fan blowing on the back to see if we could make it shrink more.

It is raining the next two days so the mold is back in the garage. The story continues...

While Dan boxed the Zombie Torches and took them to to the post office I worked on cleaning Bob's out of the molds and then on Loki Tiki's Missionary's Downfall alter stand and removable bowl. Tom Brill bought the first one so I have to "alter" number two so they remain 1/1's.

Here are the steps done on Tuesday.

I had a Tiki Bob bowl to clean. I decided to use the part I usually cut off and toss out. I covered it with hand made rocks.

Next I hand built a bowl and made it fit the rock stand.

Using my fingers and thumbs I increased the size of the bowl by pinching and pulling. Then I removed the rock stand before it had time to stick.

I began to build the rest of the alter.

Support beams were set into the floor using slip. Remember air holes explode in the kiln.

They were bent back into position.

The rock top was added and glued into place with slip. I then bowed the beams to make room for the woman.

Loki Tiki asked for a larger viewing area when the bowl is removed.

The rocks are marked but not carved because the clay here is too soft.

For the night I stuffed the alter with a bag full of other bags so that it will not start to wilt.

Then the alter stand and the bowl were wrapped for the night. They will dry some but not too much. More work will be done on this today.

I worked on another Bob request last night but it is a duplicate so no photos. I stopped work at 10 PM. Now it's time to start again.

I love this work, thank you for all the orders. Wendy

Wendy, look how strong you are!!!

I had a one piece mold like your Missionary's Downfall that I had trouble removing the casting. I ended drilling out about a one inch hole in the bottom and making a removeable plaster plug. After the slip was set, I removed the plug and blew into the hole - the air pressure popped the cast right out :)

I have an unexplained craving for popcorn now???

Thanks for the pictures of the mosaic Bob, he's AMAZING! Your talent continues to astound me. (I know I'm starting to sound like the president of the Wendy & dan fan club.)

I'm always impressed at the hard work and dedication to ceramics I see you displaying day after long day.

Keep up the great work!

I just caught my breath from the last project & here you go again!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 10816 replies