Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Wendy Cevola - New colors of the Frank mug by Frankoma now available.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 10,816 replies

C

MadDogMike great idea. As they say "down there for dancing, up here for thinking."

MadDogMike if only we had read your idea first! See below.

WestADad after your note this packing material will not be peanuts if will be popcorn.

Lori Loves Tikis thanks for noticing it is hard heavy dusty work. On the other hand it is fun and rewarding because I get to read all these fun notes each day.

Atomic Tiki Punk I hope you will all join me on the next 24 special orders

If I remember right I need to make:

16 custom Bobs
2 Bumatay Bowls
3 Missionary's Downfall bowls
3 Tiki Bob bowls

cdTiki I hope you can explain that to me on the 5th!

Wish List Progress Report:

Psycho Tiki D's Missionary's Downfall Bowl Disaster
First I had to chisel out the original bowl destroying it.
Next I took a disastrous misstep by making a one piece mold.
The cast wouldn't come out.

Next mistake was to not just throw it out. Instead I told Dan to saw it in half so I could diagnose its problems. Face masks worn during surgery.

The power saw didn't go deep enough so I finished it off with a hand saw.

Looks like a cross section of a CT scan. I could see that the clay had not dried or shrunk in parts. So it's set aside to see if it will dry enough to be pulled out.

Dan the clean up man vacuumed - a no-no.

Mopping pinup. Of course everything in the garage is now covered in plaster dust. If we end up with COPD we'll know why.

On to the wish list. While the Alter bowl dries some more I went on to the Bumatay Bowls. It sure is fun to have already poured and stored all the parts for all 24 projects.

I cleaned out the inside of the bowls and added my name to the bottoms.

Example: top Bumatay not finished, bottom Bumatay finished.

I cut an opening at the base of each fish for air to escape during firing.

Skipping ahead I filled the bowl with paper towels so I could invert it onto a jar.

I do this because I need to protect the head fin while I finish off the bottom attachments.

Before

After

I actually did four fish at a time.

Because the bowl and fish are drier than the clay used to attach them it needs to dry slowly to prevent cracks. I wrap it up so that the clay can equalize. After a few days I will unwrap these so they can dry out completely.

Onto the next project...(: Wendy

W

WOW! Just makes me sad! Even if I do love power and hand tools.

Ouch, ouch, ouch...can you hear me crying and my heart breaking all the way from Rocklin to your house this morning?

On the otherhand, the Bumatay bowls look great. Glad you had a diversion to the dust and powertool calamities.

Tell Dan he need a breathing apparatus!

See you soon,

D

I'm going to stop calling it "The Wendy and Dan Show." It shall now be known as "The Adventures of Wendy and Dan" or even maybe "The Perils of Wendy and Dan."

Seeing the effort and passion you two put into it gives me even more reason to value your beautiful art.

I just tuned in for another great show...

Welcome back for Dan and Wendy's Never Give Up Show

Psycho Tiki D I'm trying to mend your heart by mending your bowl, see below.

Professor G I believe the passion is the right word for our feelings towards tiki art and history. For fans like you I love to keep the show going. Of course we are also nutty hams. You could make a dish out of that!

hang10tiki here's goes...

Here's a Dan pin up. He's boxed all the Zombie Torches for shipping. He's such a support. I would clone him if I could. Everyone needs a Dan!

Tonight is the deadline for the Zombie Torch. I have three unclaimed mugs but more people than that on the list. Saturday evening I'll finalize who gets a mug or not.

First up I've decided to make Traditional face Bumatay necklaces (no fins).
$40 which includes shipping in the USA. They can be glazed in the color I am using for the bowl or a color of your choice. I am going to buy purple and pink glaze next week for some special Bob's so they can be used here too. PM to order or email me if you have that.

Making a mold is such horrific work. Especially if the mold is huge. I just couldn't give up on this one. After all this bowl is for Psycho Tiki D one of the good guys.

I decided to use whatever part of the cast my label scraper knife could reach.

I cut the two walls out of the mold pieces.

I found a board the right size.

I covered it with plastic wrap so that the bottom clay wouldn't stick.

I rolled out clay to the right size.

I, I, I sorry about that. I soaked the sides in water because they were so dry. Then I pressed them into the clay and used slip and clay ropes to secure the sides to the bottom.

I used slip and ropes to do the same on the outside.

Next I made another wall to go around the woman.

I secured it into place.

I never liked how the girl sat without a wall on one side. I removed clay to lower the wall not remove it. Now I like the bowl better. I think she's safer. OK Psycho?

Now this may not work. The walls were very dry. To give the bowl a chance I wrapped it up so that the wall and the bottom can dry slowly.

What's left to do if it does work is to make the bowl look like bamboo and to add the words Missionary's Downfall to the top back edge. Stay Tuned!

Now on to Loki Tikis Missionary's Downfall alter bowl.

I carved rocks into the removable bowl.

To support the bowl in the beginning I had to make a solid back wall.

Now that it is firm I removed clay.

This formed two more pillars. They still need to dry more before turning them into rock.

The pillar on the left is not finished the one on the right is done.

Now both front pillars are finished. Today I will finish the back pillars. This is the woman Loki Tiki chose.

I started Elvis Bob for Atomic Chick last night. Photos tomorrow!

Cheers, Wendy

beautiful beautiousness, guys!

By the way:
~~As I was unpacking (Yeah, STILL), I came across something I thought I had sent to you guys - a certificate for your Pablo print. Sadly, the rest of that print run was stacked while wet, and were ruint. Yours is the only survivor...I'll get the cert in the mail to you soon!
YAY!
~Zero

[ Edited by: ZeroTiki 2012-04-27 21:14 ]

Wendy
I need a life size one of those to put by my pool so
my lil bride has a place to sit when the Vegas sun gets
to hot.
:)

Zero Tiki we'll be very happy to have the certificate. I'm so sorry your prints were ruined.

hang10tiki hum a punch bowl size might be fun but I think you'll have to build something for your yard. Is that up next?

Progress Report on the Wish List

My personal wish is to finish a painting for Oasis 12. So I've started one by coating the canvas with gesso.

My cat never gets on table tops until today. I put my mail on the table and then started to paint. She guarded the mail while I worked!

Next on to Loki Tikis Missionary's Downfall Alter Bowl. I'm waiting to hear back if he accepts this design.

I finished all the rock carving. The clay had dried a lot and it was scary pressing so hard to chisel. It all worked out.

I had enough pieces to start loading them into the bottom level of the kiln. I needed the counter space to continue to work. Dan used the air compressor to dust them. This one is mymotikis Super Carved Bob.

I've almost finished the Elvis Bob for Atomic Chick. I just need to add one more decoration. I hope to make that today.

It's Saturday. Yippee. So what shall I work on today? Hummmm how about more Bobs?

Enjoy your weekend, Wendy

that Elvis Bob is Great! and those Missionaries don't have a chance in paradise

That's a great Elvis Bob, Wendy.

The 7o's Elvis shirt is the perfect touch.

On 2012-03-23 09:08, danlovestikis wrote:

Dan distracted by my constant talking popped the lid on tight before putting our dinner in the microwave. OOPS!

I made y'all a replacement Thai-style Shrimp and Mushrooms but I couldn't figure out how to pack it for airmail. Thanks for the beautiful work you do and for being so supportive of my food site.

That's risky Wendy, to take 2 icons that people either love or hate ~ Elvis & Bob ~ and merge them together. But you are pulling it off wonderfully (of course)!

W
When your all done with Elvis Bob you need to
stand up on stage, curl up one side of your lip
and say:
"thank you, thank you very much"

Looks great

Holler Waller you got it, those girls could make Rome fall today.

Atomic Tiki Punk thank you. When Elvis Bob was requested I was worried but you all have made me feel good.

dartharnie the shirt was her one request. Yesterday I told Atomic Chick I was adding the TCB necklace and she said she has worn one for 10 years and that would make it perfect. I love coincidences. See Below.

Professor G please feel free to tag your site link to your messages. I would like it to be easy for everyone to go there. You shrimp dish is totally unlike my take out meal. You may come cook her any time.
http://www.docs-atomic-diner.com/intro/2011/7/9/welcome.html?lastPage=true#comment16562983

MadDogMike I like that, merging icons. And as hang10 and Elvis said, "Thank you, thank you very mug". I mean much.

Wish List Progress Report.

Yesterday was a very good work day for me.

Fisrt off I've discovered that plastic containers are far better for storing my clay. The plastic bags would have pieces of dry clay fall into the wet making lumps. I use clay that is soft or very soft to add on or adhere parts. Now this is perfect. While I work I leave a wet paper towel over the clay so that it stays moist.

I assembled three Tiki Bob bowls. These are for mymotiki, Deb and BaconSM

I turn them over to add clay.

Then I use a wet paper towel to smooth it.

Next I cleaned up the Bumatay bowls that I'd made yesterday for Psycho Tiki D and Joanne. The fish on the left how attaching it messes it up but the one on the right shows that I fix that.

On the shelf the Bumatays will dry and the 3 Bob bowls will set while in plastic bags.

Now it is time to let Psycho Tiki D's Missionary's Downfall bowl dry a bit. My friend Norma cut some bamboo for me to use as a guide. I need to sculpt the bowl to look more like bamboo.

Because Elvis Bob's chin is long I had to hang his necklace crooked. But hopefully it gets his message across just the same. He is done and will now dry out.

Now that most of the bowls are made and drying I'll be working on Bob mugs in all kinds of fun styles like Frankenstein and Pac Man.

So That's All Folks! See you tomorrow. Cheers, Wendy

Wendy, love your creativity,.....and the salads they make at your dad's.

That's a hunka, hunka burnin' Tiki love!

Jungle Trader your Minnie's mug is still one of our favorites. I like those salads too. Thank you.

Big Kahuna I hope Atomic Chick feels the love.

I carved the water waves into the side of each Bumatay Fish Bowl.

I put them in the shed to dry. When they are I'll have my first load to bisque fire. I have made one more Bumatay bowl on spec. It has 3 rather than 4 of the fish. It's price is $250 and is #1 since it is short a fish.

Next I worked on Psycho Tiki D's Missionary's Downfall bowl. I needed to make these strips of clay look like Bamboo.

Here's how I finished it.

Next I used these rubber stamps.

The first bowl I made (that was ruined in the mold making process) I had misspelled Missionary's leaving out an i. This time I misspelled Downfall leaving out the w. I swear this bowl is cursed.

Clay is very forgiving and I was able to fix it. I always carve the letters after using the stamp as a guide. I added a bit of carving to the edge and now it's also in the shed drying.

This must be the year of the topless woman for my works of art.

Last night I spent 15 minutes per mug to fine tune them and to carve around the face. I did 12. During that time we watched The Great Race, Missing and Desperate Housewives. I like accomplishing something while the TV plays. It's a good start. Soon I'll be working on just the Bob mugs.

This morning we poured a few extras in case I ruin something. Happy Days, Wendy

wow wendy yous are a very busy girl! I love the bamboo on the m downfall dish. all on you wish lists are looking great!
mymo/Laura

It's here! My Zombie Torch was delivered today. Bigger even then my decanters. After much shuffling of my mugs I think I've found it's place amongst the others and in good company. It is a quandary which side to display. Thinking I'll just turn mine upon it's shelf routinely because one side is not enough. Thank you so much!

M

Oooooh just Bobs...

Any Green ones?

Your talents collectively amaze me!

I love hopping to this thread!

Mahalo

McTiki

That elvis bob is terrific! Great job - again - Wendy!!!!

Oh, Wendy, I can't wait until my Zombie Torch gets to Pennsylvania! Your artistic talent is amAZing!

Wendy,

Very happy to see the Missionary's Downfall bowl progress. Looks like it is finally taking the proper form and the bamboo features really look great.

Thanks for the daily updates.

PTD

mymotiki thank you so much. Busy is good but there aren't enough hours in the day. I did my Spanish lesson at 10 PM last night. I hope the I meet expectations for the Wish List.

whoseyrtiki I love love love the photos. It could only be better if you were in them. I like my mug being next to my friend beachbumz mug.

McTiki one day I will be posting your mug here. I believe you did request green. I have a binder with all the request details printed.

LoriLovesTikis you mug is posted below. You name is on the bottom back. I think you should join in and make something for the swap. Then I'd have a chance to have it come my way.

Kele I'm looking forward to everyone posting photos of their mugs so I'll see where they ended up. A photo of the owner is what I long for. Photos are a gift.

PTD I am so super happy with your bowl. The journey has been long and hard. This morning I went to check it out and NO cracks and its half way dry. Adding all these pieces together was a learning experience and I believe all the tricks worked.

I've gotten more art made than can fit into the kiln. But so much of it has a long way to go before it is dry enough. If it goes into the kiln too soon the water will boil and the art will break. I'll also sand and fine tune each piece again.

I set up in the garage to work on the Bob mugs.

I have two that require Tapa designs so I printed some Tapa pictures.

The LoriLovesTikis Super Carved Bob mug. Finished.

the Harro Tapa mug finished.

Note the H's around the bottom.

More tomorrow. Thanks for checking in. Cheers, Wendy

TAPA BOB...BRILLIANT!!

Looking fantastic Wendy, can't wait to see them with the glaze!

Another winner Wendy!

Beautiful.

Lookin good,
Soon more magic to emerge from your kiln...

H
harro posted on Tue, May 1, 2012 4:31 PM

Ahh my tapa Bob looks so awesome!!!
What a start, can’t wait to see him progress!!
Wendy you are so talented and dedicated to your art, and Dan is a champion. Thanks for posting all the pics.

WOW!! Does the creativity ever slow down? Loving the Tapa Bob concept.

I promised a picture of me and the Zombie Torch Mug so here it is. Pardon the exhausted look on my face but I'm renovating a 1964 Ranch and today was another 12 hours outside working on a deck and the pool. Anyway, here you go Wendy as promised. This mug is AMAZING! I had no idea really how big this thing would be and how heavy. Love it. Thanks!

[ Edited by: littlegiles 2012-05-01 17:34 ]

YEAH!!!!

It looks SOOOOO cool! just 2 things: 1- can you elliminate the "S" at the end of "Lori loves tikis" so it's singular? Lori Loves Tiki

and 2- are you still able to add a little tiki to it?

All the mugs are great. If I'd have seen the tapa one I might have gotten that instead. It's so hard to choose.

:)
Lori
Tiki Newbie

PS: I think I am going to participate in the art swap or if I get on the stick with ceramics before the end of the school year maybe I'll make something for you. But you might be disappointed!!!!

[ Edited by: LoriLovesTiki 2012-05-01 17:39 ]

Wendy,
Your Tapa Bob is Taparific! Yet another WendyWow!
~kele

harro you picked a winner. Last go round I did Tapa for WestADad. I think it is gaining popularity. I sure am enjoying all the posts.

Thank you Atomick Chick, Tavarua Tiki, Atomic Tiki Punk, Professor G, hang10tiki and Kele.

harro I have your message about the color for your Tapa mug. I'm so happy that you like it as much as all these friends.

littegiles you made my dreams come true. I so much love having photos of my art with the owners. I appreciate the effort it takes. Thank you so much.

Lori Loves Tiki the s will disappear and a little tiki will appear with Bob sprouting hands as requested!

I made a couple more Bumatay necklaces. This style does not have a tongue.

First I cut off part of the back so that when it is worn the head looks up rather than tipping towards the floor.

Example of before and after.

I cast them thick so I may carve out the back how I want.

Wetting the tool and then rocking it back and forth is best for removing clay.

After I remove the clay I rub the inside with a wet sponge or paper towel to smooth.

This wooden tool is great for so many things.

One is that you may use it to drill holes.

Or to write your name.

Finished.

Psycho Tiki D's bowl is almost dry. Small cracks showed up that needed attention.

The cracks were shallow and I was able to remove them down to solid clay.

TapaSeaTurtleBob for Holler Waller.

The turtle is very sticky and it needs to catch up to the dryness of the mug. So for 1 hour it sat with wet paper towels keeping the mug from drying out while the turtle did.

My work space. Busy Busy Busy

Always thank you for checking in. Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2012-05-03 07:53 ]

Very exciting - and the turtle is so BIG!

That's what she said

But seriously,
Wendy, the Honu is outstanding...

I love to see the creative boundaries expanding every time you start a new project.

Hi Holler Waller I choose that size so that I could carve the tapa designs on him and the mug. You thought up a challenge and its a fun one.

hang10tiki...Holler Waller may reply
hang10tiki thank you.

Professor G I used to just modify Bob's face and then you started the add to the back trend with the Zombie Palms so all this creativity is on your back! Thank you.

The TWO most interesting men in the world.

Last Saturday we went to an estate sale with 100,000 record albums and 4 times that many 45's. After a couple of hours we were exhausted and ready to go. The widow asked, "didn't you want to go into the room with most of the records?"
We were in an overflow room. None were organized so we would look through 300 and see 1 Hawaiian. Dan walked away with 87 50's and 60's records. Sale is over. On the first day which we missed she sold 40,000.

On the way to Grass Valley I went to Alpha Fired Arts and bought every purple and pink glaze. I've never had those colors before and I've had requests for this run of Bob's. I also picked up Carribean Turquoise - beautiful.

After Alpha we drove on to see Roge. Here's a report on the Bumatay Chunk lamps.

These are the masters for each sea creature.

Roge is developing the Bumatay he'll offer for sale.

It is always fun to see what he has accomplished. I ordered a Bumatay lamp for us so in less than a month I'll have photos for you.

Today will be a work on mugs day. I hope to get many of them started with adding on the do dads.

See ya, Wendy

BK

Wendy, please stop! I'm either going to have to stop reading your threads or start direct-depositing part of my paycheck into your bank account! :lol:
Here's #3, safe & sound, in its new home.

Thank you so much!
Mahalo,
Rick

Wendy, I thought a turtle that "fit" would be a bit small for a decent tapa but put my faith in your brain & hands. It already looks better than I imagined. Hang10 - I did LOL.

Big Kahuna, thank you so much for the photos. It means a lot to me that I'm getting to see where my work has gone.

Holler Waller that could be a scary way to go!

The Zombie Torch sold out but I still have half of them to hand deliver here at home and a batch to drop off at Caliente. Some photos will be a long way off.

Lori Loves Tiki had a request that Bob had a hand holding a little tiki. My first Bob with a hand! He's holding tiny Bob. At this point it was too sticky to fix detail. I had to re-carve the designs around the hand after affixing it to the mug.

I've been doing a lot of gift Bob's that I can't show yet. But here's one that is not going to give anything away.

For Holler Wallers Tapa Turtle Bob I want to keep it simple enough that the turtle shows up well. I I'll be doing a strip tapa design. Here's how far I got yesterday.

Here Comes Murph Dog. Having Bob become half Bob and half Dog started with Tiki Ba for Loki Tiki. This time around I'd had some practice and I cold remember steps like cut off the mouth.

I started by working the face and collar which will be cold painted with dogie pirates.

The ears were a challenge. I started this way so I could have equal sizes but as I progressed that didn't work out.

I think ears are complicated.

Murph Dogs ears changed position in every example photo.

So in the end I just did what was going to be safe for the mug.

His name will be worked on to deepen it.

When he firms up I will do a light brushing of fur lines.

A proud dog.

Please PM me if you have suggestions for fine tuning your mugs. Cheers, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2012-05-04 09:27 ]

I'm one of those "not a Bob fan" people but know I need to have some kind of a Bob in my collection or live in mug shame. It is that goofy smile of his face that annoys me...I just want to slap him...LOL. Anyway, Wendy you may be my salvation. The Turtle Bob and the Mug-Toting Bob have the potential to grow on me...so will be watching the progression on these. Not a Witco fan either...maybe you should make a Witco style mug and then I can just get these two genres on board and get it over this dispassionate situation.

Soooo much inspiration and Joy here!
Every time i visit,there's something new and interesting and AMAZING!!!
You and mp have expanded Tiki Bob possibilities and lore to a new level!
Bravo!
That Tapa Turtle is gonna leave em all breathless!
Hugs!

Wendy, have you tried a Zombie Bob or a Creature from the Black Lagoon Bob? Love the Turtle Bob and the Tapa Bob holding a baby Bob, Elvis Bob & Murph Dog Bob - all are just incredibly inspired and your creativity is endless. I am truly amazed at the gift you have at sculpting. I have to commission something!!!! Since I'm a Marine Biologist maybe a Black Lagoon Bob?

TT

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 10816 replies