Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Wendy Cevola - New colors of the Frank mug by Frankoma now available.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 10,816 replies

Wendy
It's midnight back east, does that count?
:)

I'm in, PM sent...

Wow hang10tiki, well just in case you guessed you were right. I had decided that I would make something for free for the first person to order. That was you hands down being exactly midnight. What you choose to order (a small super carved Bob) is perfect for the surprise gift. I won't have it ready for Oasis but soon after it will arrive at your doorstep. Thank you for your support, always, Wendy

Progress Report:

The molds for the Sacramento Crawl mug are almost dry. I'm looking forward to the first cast.

Yesterday we went to Alpha Fired Arts and picked up 200 pounds of #1 plaster for making molds. We always take plastic storage bags to keep leaking plaster out of our car.

To keep the plaster dry we leave the bags in the plastic bags. When we start to use the plaster we transfer it to plastic orange lidded containers. Plaster that absorbs any moisture will not set.

I've started a Sombrero Bob for The Corona Contessa. Here we poured the sombrero.

It sat for 1 hour and then was poured out.

I will go back as it firms up to smooth the bottom.

Now firm I took it out of the mold and cut off the excess and added design to the underside.

It now fits the mug which has been carved with rings and texture.

Next she wanted a couple of palm trees to the back of the mug which I'll add tonight.

I'm looking forward to the next five days of challenges to fulfill your wishes.
Cheers, Wendy

Well, I did it.
I resisted the urge to pm my wish list at midnight and instead ran to the computer as soon as I woke up. Of course, I pushed my wife out of the way, hip checked my kids and vaulted over the cat to do it, but I like sleeping on the couch
I keep telling myself it was worth it!

Wendy, You are a wonderful talent and thank you.
Dan, you are a great Hubby and make this all possible. Thank you to.

:D :D :D

Wow
Christmas in August
Awesome........

Glad I was up late
Thank you.................

Everything looks spectacular after the glazing, Wendy!

all i can say is.......

WOW!

and i can't wait to HUG you!
:)

2am in the ER
Man do I wish I was home
Drinkin a Mai-Tai out of my
Dan and Wendy Tiki Bob mug

Oh well...back to work
:(

I'm taking orders for the Wish List through Sunday. I'm so prepared this will go faster than ever before. I've already carved three and they are drying. More will start today. I love the push of lots to do. Thank you for the orders so far.

hang10tiki check out your small Bob Super Carved below, the back is a surprise that you'll be posting here when you have it in hand. ER in the AM I remember those days. Glad it was work for you.

dartharnie that was a terrific story of your rush to the computer. I also enjoyed reading your Mai Kai story on Swanky's thread. That bowl is so cute. In the future there will be many photos of your orders appearing here, thank you.

Atomic Tiki Punk so many of my photos for the order pages were of bare clay. I've not yet glazed some of the projects I'm making because the buyer chooses the colors. I'm happy you liked what I did for Dan's projects.

little lost tiki happy birthday, we are all so glad you were born and making beautiful art for us.

I have finished the Spy/Tiki painting for Tiki Oasis 12. However I'd like you all to take a look and let me know if anything bothers you.

Both tikis are by McTiki. He allowed me to add them to my painting as he did for the Scootiki painting last year. Thank you McTiki.

Working on Otto's face.

I've made his expression tense. I can see that the gun and hands need more work. Photos really help point out problems.

The other spy is in the shadows but is still dangerous.

Yippee, we poured the first two Sacramento Crawl mugs this morning. I can't wait to see how they turn out tomorrow morning. I also poured a MDW for a Wish List project.

hang10tiki your Christmas in August. In Yellowstone National Park Christmas is celebrated on August 25th. The saying goes: Christmas comes but twice a year, once at home and once up here. What you wrote brought back memories of when I was a tour guide there. It even snowed once on August 24th so we had a white Christmas.

Thursday morning and time to work, cheers, Wendy

Great painting Wendy!

See you both in 2 short weeks :)

Wendy
That's a great story
I also have great memories of being at Yellowstone years ago
I wonder if you were our tour guide
The new Super Carved Bob looks great
Can't wait to see it in person
Your painting skills are amazing
You are the best
See you two soon
Jon

The possibilities . . . endless.

You set the bar so high last time, Wendy, that it's tough to imagine something that will match the splendor of Blue Island Bob.

Hmmmmmm . . . This requires serious thought. And a sandwich. Serious thought and a sandwich, that's what this requires.

Wendy, I don't mean to be difficult, but how big is the "small Bob"? Cuz I'm really into miniatures, like smaller is better for me.
Everything you produce is SO AMAZING! I am in awe!
~kele

Hi Friends, I'm continuing to work on the Wish List. I'm enjoying the challenges you come up with and I'll always post photos of my progress.

Sandra Dee, thank you, please try to come to the Artists Reception on Saturday to see the painting in person and to have fun with the activities. See you soon friend.

hang10tiki when I was a tour guide in Yellowstone you were probably trying to learn how to ride your bike (the summers of 74 and 75)! Thank you so many times.

Professor G lots of tiki ideas that could be made and for you so many dishes to create and photos to take! It just fun to keep going and going and going.

Progress Report:

Menu from the long gone Hawaiian Hut that was in West Sacramento.

The Sacramento Crawl mug. The first two came out of the molds yesterday.

They are rough and need a lot of fine tuning.

Mold line are bad because I had to dig the original out of the molds.

I decided to carry on the carving around the mug. All done by hand. I still need to fine tune the words at the bottom.

These will be glazed and hand painted.

On the first two I'll use to find the right glaze and paint colors. They are missing one element. I forgot to add the lei around the girls neck after taking it out of the mold. I'll remember on the rest of them. Any one can ask to be on the left-overs list. Those who attend get them first.

19tikichef62 has ordered a Volcano Bob with a Missionary's Downfall woman as Pele and Bob will be holding a shrunken Missionary's head. The girl will and Bob will have Maori style tattoos. Now this is one over the top project, just the kind I love. Here's where I'm at right now.

It takes a 6 piece mold to cast her. It's a puzzle to put together.

It also means there are 6 mold lines to remove during clean up.

The lava flows over her lap and attaches to her side.

Yesterday we ran off to an Estate Sale. We found a few tiki treasures. The mask may not be tiki but we like it. We waited in 101 degree heat for 50 minutes to get into the house. It ended up worth it.

Thanks for checking in, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2012-08-03 10:12 ]

It is so cool being able to watch my future Volcano Bob come to life by Wendy's magical talent,super cool can't wait to see it in person

That's going to be a great mug...

Good finds at the estate sale...

Very cool Wendy, it's going to be BIG!!!

Hi 19, hang and Mad, I so happy to log and and find you all posting. Thank you so much. It is large and the shrunken head will add on to it even more.

Kele, I measured the small Bob and he is 4 1/2 inches tall.

Now it is time to work/play with clay, Wendy

Hi Friends, no messages to answer but I can tell by the numbers that I had many guests yesterday. I thank you for stopping by to make my day special.

Progress Report:

I asked for a critique of my Spy/Tiki painting and MadDogMike was very helpful. I've done some further work on the hut rocks and Otto's right arm. I finished up the hands and gun. So here it is as it will look at the art show at Tiki Oasis 12.

I finished up the Corona Contessa's Sombrero Bob. I hope I'm getting her name right. Her other name is Sandy.

She requested palms on the back of her Bob and here they are.

All of these made it onto the top shelf of the kiln and I fired them last night. The kiln will open Sunday morning.

10tikichef62 requested that a shrunken head of Bob, held by big Bob, be added to his mug. dartharnie has requested a Wolfman Bob. Somehow I combined these orders last night. Here are some photos of 10tikichef62's mug and how I corrected it.

In the end it could get cut off and become a necklace!

I started with a small Bob that I use for the small Tiki Bob Bowls.

I cut out the face and then filled the back with sticky clay.

I built on a lava Tiki Bob hand and attached it to the small head

and then to the mug.

By the time I finished the carving he looked like Wolfman (dartharnie will this be ok for when I do your big mug?)

So I smoothed the "fur" back off and changed it to wrinkles. Then I added rope through the eyes and lips.

Next I'll find out if this works for 19tikichef62. I can change it again and again as long as it stays in plastic and doesn't dry out.

As an example as to cost for a project like this. Looking at page 116:

Tall Bob $80
Addition of the clay to change Bob to a volcano and to add the hand and shrunken head $25
To add a Missionary's Downfall woman $75
Total at the end when it is completely finished $180 plus shipping. If it blows up in the kiln or glazes wrong that's on me and I would start again until I get it right.

What I like is being your hands to make what you want in the colors you want. Orders are open until Midnight Sunday. Challenge me!! Wendy

Wendy-that totally works for I think it looks fantastic thanks again 19tikichef62

Wendy- I was just wondering if you've ever done a Evel Kneivel Bob,I'm looking towards next years wish list

that volcano bob...et al. is spectacular. i love seeing the integration of all your cool sculpts to date. the glaze is going take you a month :) but it will be so worth it.

Is the girl going naked or are you gonna sneak a skirt over her butt. Can we put it to a vote, please, 19tikichef62? :wink:

Yes, I like the wolfbob. the fur looks really cool long and i love the nose shape.

[ Edited by: dartharnie 2012-08-04 16:50 ]

I was thinking a skirt over her butt,but if public opinion goes the other way I would definetly consider a naked butt for her,thanks for noticing the mug in progress it's gonna be wild when it's done

no skirt...

Sorry 19tikichef62 she's never getting a skirt, it would catch fire because of the lava. Besides why a skirt with her topless? I'm glad you like the shrunken head. She is now going to dry out and we'll hope no cracks develop.

dartharnie and I spoke and in the end I'm doing a Wolf Man like the one in the movies instead of Bob. This way it will fit in with his Frankenstein from last time.

hang10tiki no skirt!

Progress Report:

bavtech-Nelson is at Tiki Kon in Portland Oregon and is selling some of my art. The colored statues are done by Roge from my sculpt. Check out Marketplace for those.

We continue to work on the Sacramento Crawl mugs. 2 are fired and the kiln opens today. These two are drying and there are two to come out of the molds.

A few years back I did a smaller severed head for Gecko. He's got it molded and is going to sell them on eBay. Here is his first. Our deal is he'll make one for us and the rest are his. Will work for Gecko art is my motto. We love what he does.

I made 5 Super Carved Bob's for bavtech-Nelson to sell at Tiki Kon. The second one over is a flame version.

I am now making a 3D flame version for Joanne.

We stopped at a garage sale yesterday and I found a VHS case that I thought would fit in my kiln shed. Here's your Dan being Dan photo of the week!

It fit and we attached it. I filled it with my under-glazes that had been a mess in a box.

dartharnie and I agreed on this version of the Wolf Man.

I just start piling on sticky clay.

It dried some overnight and today I'll add even more clay.

This is the last day for Wish List Orders. I'm already way ahead of schedule. Thank you all for the orders and posts on my thread. Come say hi at Oasis too.

Cheers, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2012-08-05 08:36 ]

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2012-08-05 09:35 ]

Looks like a glaze store! :lol:

The wolfman and the crawl mug are both looking great. Keep up the good work Dan and Wendy.

Hay Dan, looks like it's Hammer Time

MadDogMike, some women like jewelery and shoes, I love glaze. This is my treasure room!

hang10tiki he is my right arm and very good with a hammer. Your small Bob bisque fired fine.

We found tiki's at a festival in Old Town Elk Grove near our home.

Today we will unload the kiln. This is the top shelf.

I have four peanut mugs bisqued for bavtech/Nelson. He's coming over on Tuesday to learn how to glaze them.

We went to a super tiki party yesterday at liddlelola's. On her tiki bar I saw my Zombie Torch mug. That made my day!

Wish List/ Crawl mug Progress Report

After the party we poured again for the crawl mug.

I carved the lines into two crawl mugs that were now leather hard.

To the bottoms of the mugs I've added Sac Ohana Crawl

I added more clay to the Wolf Man Bob being made for dartharnie. I worked on head shape and teeth position.

I cleaned up a Bob getting ready to make him into a Tapa Bob for ebTiki. He requested that the tapa be that of Tiki Central. It's a challenging tapa. I made a guide card and all the parts I've colored in black will be what I carve out of the clay.

That's it for today.

Thank you everyone for your orders. I haven't counted them yet but I know I have enough to keep the Dan and Wendy show going like the energizer bunny. I'll be posting photos as I do your work.

I'm a happy bunny, Wendy

Old town looks fun
Kiln looks full
Liddleolas looks like a great tiki room
Wolf man lookin kool

Another great day at the D and W show!!!

Thanks hang10tiki I appreciate the posts. We continue to work on projects but we are counting the days until Oasis and visiting with all our friends like you. See you soon.

Progress Report:

Bottom shelf of the kiln with a Bob Bowl, 2 Bumatay tiki bowls and the new style Moai bowl

This Bob bowl has the sides pushed in and the Moai bowl has the bottom lip protruding like the China Sails mug.

View from the top.

I put everything out on the table to be hosed off by Dan.

Two shapes for the small Frankoma bowl

Dan gets drenched but the more force the spray has the more the dust will come off.

Pin up view.

Now they all dry in the dining room.

ebTiki requested a Tapa Bob with the Tiki Central tapa. Here's how it came out.

Photos are wonderful I can see some debris, in the 3rd photo, that I need to remove.

dartharnies Wolf Man Bob. I think I've finished the sculpt.

Today I have four of the Sacramento Crawl mugs to clean and carve. Another set to pour. bavtech is coming over for a lesson in glazing. He has four peanut mugs to glaze. I'll take photos of the lesson.

I appreciate you all stopping by, Wendy

E
ebtiki posted on Tue, Aug 7, 2012 2:18 PM

SWEET!

I have got to do something about this drooling problem I have. Of course, the cure would be to stop watching the W&D Show, but I refuse. I don't wanna go to rehab! HAHA

Awesome display of craftiness and Dan, if you ever get tired of hosing off ceramics, I might be able to get you into a dance club in Washington DC. LOL Wendy, you should slip him a $1 once in a while.

Wish I had been able to turn in a request cause they are all turning out so great, but hopefully next time.

Thanks for sharing!

• Dale
B

Tiki Central BoB Rocks Wendy!! You are such an amazing artists.. Can't say that enough about you .. WOW on Everything..!
Have you thought about making another one for all of us here on TC?? I think were about due for a new design, The Tiki Hut and Shecky were awesome but one by Wendy Cevola would be too cool...

Oh no I have no new photos for today. bavtech/Nelson had to have his wife's car towed and repaired so I didn't work on glazing with him. Then all the clay work I did was on the Sacramento crawl mug so photos would just be more of the same.

Gecko has put up the head we did together on eBay. He is a master glazier.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271032193027?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

ebTiki I'm glad you like your Tiki Central Tapa Bob mug. You had a very good idea.

That's the fun of the Wish List they are your ideas and I just get to bring them to life.

beachbumz you flatter me and make me blush. It would be fun for a Tiki Central mug. That was ebTiki's first thought when he asked for this. If I got to keep all the money and it was OK with Hanford I would consider it for a future project.

littegiles I don't want you to go to rehab either I like your drooling. Maybe you'll post a photo of it here??? Thank you, I blush at your comments too. Dan is paid in tikis that we make together. He is a well paid worker. I don't know about dancing but he could enter a wet t-shirt contest.

Well today is my birthday so I'll work a bit on the Crawl mugs and then we'll play. I get to choose what we do and where we go. It is a tradition that Dan makes my card and they are always precious. I look forward to that most of all.

May you all have your own special day. Cheers, Wendy

HAPPY BIRTHDAY WENDY!! Enjoy your special day. I think we can let you have a day off without bothering you too much. :)

• Dale

littlegiles thank you. That made my day.

My sister just sent this note:

Happy Birthday Wendy !!! I know where I was 61 years ago today!! CAMP MINILUTA CA. I got a postcard informing me that I had a new baby sister !! When I read it to the other girls One waved her own letter and said that’s nothing, I have a new calf !!! Love you Glo

I was second to a calf!

I found one photo of my progress on the Wish List:

Cheers, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2012-08-08 08:55 ]

S

Happy Birthday Wendy!

You are one of the sweetest, kindest people I have ever had the pleasure of calling my friend.

I am so happy that my love for tiki made it so I crossed paths with you (and Dan of course) because I could not imagine living my life without knowing you both.

Thank you for all you have done for me in the past and I hope you have a fabulous day celebrating!

Lots of love and you don't look a day over 40 pretty lady xoxoxox

[ Edited by: SandraDee 2012-08-08 09:36 ]

P

Happy Birthday, Wendy!!

I don't post on your thread very often, but I check it every day, it's truly the best reality show going. It inspires me so much, and some day I'm going to try making at least one mug. Take a well-deserved and earned day off, and always know that so many of us look forward every day to seeing your wonderful work.

Hau'oli La Hanau!!

Paul

HAPPY B'DAY WENDY!!!!!
Get to see you in 8 more days and give you your birthday hug!!!

W

Happy Birthday Wendy, here's to a great day!

Love the Tiki Central Bob.... Love it.

Nicely done.

Happy Birthday Wendy!!! Thanks for all the inspiration!

Happy bday to my favorite purveyor of TIKI...

Now make a wish n blow out the candle

Happy Birthday Wendy!

You are one of the very very few people who inspire, entertain & will leave a legacy
of yourself for many years to come.

Check out the "Ohana" thread for some more B-Day greetings

B

Happy Birthday Wendy!!

Hope it is a relaxing day and fun DAY! See you next week at OASIS!

Happy Birthday, Wendy,

I can't think of a better wish for you and Dan than that you both have the kind of day you deserve. Thanks for providing the happiest thread on TC.

Greg

S

Happy Birthday from down under Wendy. Have a great day. I'll see you in a week.

Happy birthday best wishes on your special day

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 10816 replies