Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Wendy Cevola - The repaired mug goes to La Mariana on Oahu

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 10,811 replies

Towel sitting, coconut Mai-Tai sippin, sun soakin BOB freekin rocks...

Ha... It looks like beach bum farted and knocked the invisible bob on his @$$, sending his hat flying. All the while, dracula is looking on (and I can only assume he's laughing)

This might be my favorite in progress picture now!

MadDogMike he is so relaxed he's forgotten to finish his drink. I like what you have at the end of your posts.

Clay, the oldest and most divine art media;
"And now, from the clay of the ground, the Lord God formed man" Genesis 2:7

SandraDee Bob is very happy you like him. I've put you on the list for a severed head. We miss you.

tikiskip thanks for stopping by. I was just looking at your lamps. They are so creative and beautiful.

TikiAno Love Beach Blanket Bob-o! Another cute name.

LoriLovesTiki oh no, I hope he's not a bomb I've had so many things blow up in the kiln. Wish him good luck!

hang10tiki Bob thanks you for checking out all his belongings. I'm looking forward to making his towel multicolored.

dartharnie you inspire me to do some "set up" photos. This one was candid.

Philot has his Temple of the Jaguar bowl and he was so kind to send me these photos.
His cats checked out the box when it arrived.

Introducing Philot now holding his bowl. I am always grateful for photos. Thank you for sharing these.

Progress Report Wish List #3

I have 12 Severed Heads cast as of today.

Yesterday was a mess. Hopefully we have a mold made.

When we made the mold for the severed head GROG mentioned that he didn't make his molds as thick as we do. This time I decided to make it smaller.
I marked a piece of wood to the size I needed for a mold with an inch and 1/2 of plaster around the widest point.

Dan cut the board for me.

I marked the center and put down the first piece of clay for the mold.

Then I changed my mind after looking at this. I think bigger pieces last longer.

I started building the clay up one side.

I used a wet cloth to smooth it and to clean the edges sharper along the pot.

I built up the other side and pressed in some locks.

Once I had the box put together I added the snakes of clay to prevent leaks.

We mixed plaster and Dan started pouring it into the sides while I tapped it with the rubber mallet to get air bubbles out.

One last tap with the hammer was all it took to knock loose the clay snake and start gusher. I used old clay and it wasn't a sticky as new clay. Lesson learned. I had to take clay and stick my arm in the plaster and press it in place until the leak stopped.

You can see here how small the leaks were but boy did it gush out.

Now I removed clay partway down the sides. I left enough clay that I will have a bottom piece that goes from one side to the other side. That replaced the small round bottom I first made. I painted on mold soap three times wiping he excess away after each application dried.

Once the sides were firm I rasped the top to make it level. You can now see where the opening will be when we pour slip into the mold.

We wait 45 minutes after each pour before was do the next piece. So this time we worked on preparing slip. It always needs water added so now we buy half jugs to leave room to add it. I stick in my hand and mix it until I can tell it has the right amount. That's how I do the plaster too.

This was a very messy day.

Dan to the rescue while wearing his Frog Island Shirt from CY.

Now this mold will dry for at least a month. We have a fan blowing on it 24/7.

Today it a clay day which should be all fun and no huge mess. Cheers, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2013-01-23 10:09 ]

That's it! I'm sending you a better way of getting the bubbles out.
You don't have to use it, but I'm not taking no for an answer!
:)

Wow
That's a lot of work, good show...

Hale Tiki, if it is mechanical I'd drown it in wet plaster.

MadDogMike oh no a senior moment I can't remember what you wrote. But I bet it was nice.

Progress Report:

19TikiChef62's bowl mold is in my kiln shed drying. We rotate it to a different side once a day.

Holler Waller your Tapa BumaBob is finished being sculpted. Now you have a set of two. I'll do my best to also match the glazes. Here are the photos.
Attaching the Bumatay removes a lot of the detail.

So once the mug is leather hard I re-carve the Bumatay. It has a lot of surfaces.

I'm matching Holler Waller's last mug so I printed a photo to copy. I started with the rings.

Then I reproduced the tapa design on all the side.

Now he is off to the dining room table to dry with all his friends.

Back to my clay day, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2013-01-24 12:34 ]

That Bob has a Buma on it's back!

Wendy,

I can't beleive how BIG the temple of the jaguar bowl is! I knew it was large but when I saw it in Philot's hands I was shocked. When it was photographed alone I didn't have idea of its scale. Amazingly large, seriously!

Lori

T

Thanks for all the mold-making step by steps. Your original one (along w/ Babalu's) are getting me excited to get into mold-making myself (soon). In any case, I stopped in at my local library, and did a double-take. Wendy, you didn't tell me you were making a trip down to San Diego- and with a new Bob?

Look forward to seeing you, and love all the new pieces! :wink:

BumBob lookin good...

Holler Waller there is a Buma on the back of YOUR Bob mug and its all your fault.

LoriLovesTiki the Temple of the Jaguar bowl was the largest thing I've ever made. Thank you for noticing. I had to move slowly and think "be careful" to never do anything to crack it. In the beginning Dan and I would have to lift it together to keep the weight of the jaguars from bending the bowl. Working clay is so enjoyable and fulfilling wishes gives me great joy.

Tiki Ano another Bob idea!!!

hang10tiki thanks for another smile.

Progress Report:

I have number 14 Severed Head in the mold waiting to come out.

I've been working on a secret project during this month and I've almost finished the sculpt. I can't show it until later this year so I'm so happy that I received a photo yesterday that I can share instead. That's my Zombie Torch that Holler Waller is sipping from.

May you all have a day filled with smiles, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2013-01-25 09:07 ]

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2013-01-25 20:59 ]

Looks like a happy holler...

Yesterday was a day of cleaning tikis after opening the molds. Today we pour again.

Another Frankoma War God bowl, this one is for Dan. It keeps him working.

After cleaning off the mold lines I added a thick (air bubble free) layer of sticky clay (clay mixed with slip).

I cleaned the bowl inside and out and cut a hole so air can escape when I press the bowl on top of the tiki.

Once on top I start at the bowl side and press towards the center.

I keep pulling clay to the center and then I smooth it. Once this is leather hard I can remove most of this or carve it into a design.

I will use a small paint brush to smooth the sticky clay under the bowl.

I put a bag over him so that all the clay can slowly dry. Right now the parts are not equal in how much water they contain. It's important to let them equalize or they will crack.

Professor G's War God and rocky platform are dry. Today I removed clay until there was a space wide enough for the glaze on the tiki and the glaze on the rocks. This gap will be filled by those layers.

Poor Dan after this I took him for his annual blood test. They poked him in his left anticubital fossa and then his left hand and then the guy finally got it in his right anticubital fossa. I took him to lunch and then gave him a get well tiki when we got home.

It's Saturday. Another fun clay day. Cheers, Wendy

The war god on his rocky promontory looks nice, Wendy. I love how you keep the classic Tiki designs contemporary and fun.

Wendy, I love watching you work!
Tell Dan that I can appreciate his pain. I have veins that "roll" & they almost always have to use a butterfly needle on my hand for blood draws.
~kele

Hay Dan-O
Next time, when they are all done say
"Ok, my turn"

Like Lori, I was surprised when I saw the size of the Bowl of the Jaguar Temple - it's
Bumatay Bob is awesome and Greg's rocky perch is coming along beautifully.
Tell Dan I feel his pain! Turns out I'm allergic to needles, they induce tachycardia, hypotension, malaise, diaphoresis, and even syncope in me :lol:

C
cy posted on Sat, Jan 26, 2013 4:36 PM

It would be a lot easier to draw blood if Dan would just sit up straight.

On 2013-01-26 16:36, cy wrote:
It would be a lot easier to draw blood if Dan would just sit up straight.

Instead of lying sideways! (darn kids!) lol
~kele

S

A bisqued Frankoma War God statue was given to me by Wendy when i stayed with her in August 2012 so that i could glaze it how i wanted. It took me a while to choose a colour but i finally settled on this black crystal glaze. I hope you're happy with my choice Wendy.

P.S. Everything added since the last time i posted here on your thread looks great. As usual. And yes, that Bowl of the Jaguar Temple is huge. I hope Philot has a drinking partner when he fills that bad boy up.

Professor G thank you. I sure hope it works this time. Do you still like white with blue dots? If you want something else that's OK too. Swizzles statue looks great but I don't have that glaze.

WaikikianMoeKele Dan only has this happen with one guy at the lab. He figures he needs the practice so he doesn't say anything. Then they always have a woman come and she gets it in one try. He said he will sit up next time!

hang10tiki Dan said he'll remember to say "OK my turn" next time.

MadDogMike the bowl is huge. I guess I should have taken a photo next to a Bob. I love it when you all share photos.
I think Dan had your reactions to shots but only after they poked him 8 times at two different labs. After the 8th he had to lay down for awhile. I intervened and had him go run hot water on his hands. I put on the tourniquet and said poke him right here. They got it.

cy he promises.

Swizzle not only is the glaze terrific the photos are too. Thank you for posting. Your visit was such fun. We hope one day you'll do it all again. Meanwhile keep turning out your wonderful ceramics.

Progress Report:

#15 Severed Head is waiting to get out of the mold.

I've canceled Dan's bowl. Instead I've made one for the Tonga Hut show coming in March. Hopefully this won't blow up.
First I cut a hole all the way through so that air can escape from PELE.

I cut off her arms.

Hair has been added to fill in the holes left by cutting off her arms.

I attached her to the bowl and added flames. I carved on the base to look like the top of a volcano.

Overview.

She's been bagged to dry. The flames were so soft I left them exposed to air.

Chippy's mug came up next on the Wish List. I started with the hat.

The sombrero converts to many styles of hats.

I added the ring to hold it on.

I added clay to the base to make it thicker and then I carved in his name.

Plastic wrap keeps the two parts from sticking but allows me to check the fit.
I put a disk on the front of the hat that will become the badge.

I had a very fun day making these. I hope you all had a fun day too. Cheers, Wendy

Wendy, I sent you a p.m. but the gist of it is that I want the statue to be the Wendy-est War God possible. I want it to have the Wendy treatment, to be all Wendy-fied, to be truly Wendy-Plus-Ultra-Deluxe. Wendy it up, Wendy, and I'm pretty sure to love it.

Wait
A bowl for Dan-O, then no bowl for Dan-O
Sorry Dan-O
But then I see the Dan-O revenge
Sharp flames come out of the bowl at eye level to treat the person who gets "his" bowl a lesson

Lots going on...lookin good

Jon

Wendy,
You are always and truly an inspiration to all of us arteestas out there. Checking your thread is always great!
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
~Zero

HT

Poor Dan, he looks so sad to have blood drawn. My wahine made the same face on New Year's Day when I woke her up early.

Man this Zombie Brain (new drink) is taking it's toll.

That's a hell of a glaze on that War God. It's like the negative of the Wish List White with Blue spots.

Hope all is going well guys! I've been a little busy playing bed nurse and responding to important emails.

Professor G what a fun challenge. I won't forget the blue eyes and white teeth.

hang10tiki poor Dano it's another pour day for him with lots of molds to fill up.

ZeroTiki thank you so much. I wrote you a note on the swap page.

Hale Tiki she's a lucky woman to have a human alarm clock.

Progress Report:

15 Severed Heads drying.

19TikiChef62's bowl mold. I use a kitchen chopping tool and a rubber mallet to separate the pieces.

The mold is still saturated with water and soft.

So far it looks like it will work.

I put these pieces back together and strapped it. Now the fan blows into the opening non-stop for weeks.

Chippy's hat. I've started the badge.

It now has its points. The center design will have to be enamel because it is so small.

Matt the cat wanted a Matt the Cat Bob.

Here he has his mustache and goatee.

On the back I've put on enough clay to carve the flowers. His bar name will go here.

Dan's baking chocolate chip cookies while I work.

It's 7 PM and I'm still working because those cookies gave me way too much energy to waste.
I'm copying Matt's hat.

One mold can be used in so many ways.

Well I knew the mustache wasn't quite right and then I put on the hat and saw that it is too small. Dan I need more cookies!

Another clay day ahead. Wendy

"Progress Report: 15 Severed Heads drying." funny!

Matt's portrait Bob is turning out great.

Also, this may be the first time there's been a law enforcement tiki!

In addition to all his other hard work, Dan BAKES YOU CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES????!!!!??????

::::::dead faint:::::::

He's the man!

Lori

Lookin good

WOW!! Just amazed at how you keep coming up with new ideas...fantastic. Thanks for sharing.

T

Wowzers. Love it all. Well, I wouldn't mind some chocolate chip cookies... oh well. Professor G, love that request/order- and I can't wait to see the Wendiest mug ever. I'm sure it will make everyone smile. Wendy, I'd love to get on the wish list, I'm batting around a few ideas (okay, that was kind of a (wheel) clay joke. It's too late, but I'm up catching up with the Wendy & Dan show- and digging it.

Fun post Wendy, watching that mug for our favorite CHP officer!

Holler Waller after I open molds today I will say, there are 16 severed heads in my home.

Hale Tiki I've tweaked them.

LoriLovesTiki I've read your message to "Dan the man" and he loved it. He takes good care of me. I'm very lucky.

hang10tiki you look good!

uncle trav I come up with a few but the Wish List are designs thought up by those who share their wishes.

TikiAno you are able to make your own tikis and you are doing a fine job of it. Thank you.

Atomic Tiki Punk he is protecting us while smiling just like Bob.

Progress Report Wish List #3:

I sculpted the flowers on the back of Matt the Cat's Bob mug. The name of his bar Keno Kai and Sacramento will go inside the ring of flowers.

Then I went to work to increase the size of his hat.

I added clay over the whole thing.

I forgot and rotated my camera. Windows 8 has a major flaw when it comes to photos. Now that hat is the right size.

Now I've started 3 Mrs.PacMan mugs for Atomic Chick, SM Bacon and lunavideogames. See the map SM Bacon made for me to copy? A lot of steps.

Thank you all for your notes, that's what makes this super fun. I read them more than once. (: Wendy

Cool! Can't wait to see the progress on this one :)

All of them are looking good Wendy! You are a mug making machine! Seems like you make at least a mug a day. Amazing! Do you keep track of how many you make in a year? I bet it is a lot. Keep up the good work!

WOOHOOOOO!

Lunavideogames asked a great question!

How many mugs did Wendy & Dan make in 2012 That would be an excellent contest question!

Math's not my forte but that's a mighty big number!

A ga-zillion, and they all rock...

lunavideogames I keep records for taxes and I add up all the numbers but I've not counted how many mugs.

Hale Tiki WOOHOOOOO!

G
GROG posted on Wed, Jan 30, 2013 9:33 AM

A. 5
B. $1,563, 685. 73
C. $3.57

P

NO pictures?!! We're all gonna go into Wendy withdrawal!!!

I'm pretty sure Grog's got his numbers backwards. More likely it's:
A. 47
B. $6,372.18 (gross, not net)
C. $15,732.11 (maybe off by an order of magnitude)
B - C = uh oh.

I'm really looking forward to seeing your work on the lei Matt the Cat's mug. That looks like a lot of fiddly little detail work.

@Wendy: I see what you did there. Very funny!
And who knows, she may be who I get in the latest mug swap!

A - 380
B - 33,000
C - 9,000

Is B gross or net? Before supplies in total sales or how much you took home in profit with the supplies taken out? Thanks :) I'm probably too business minded...

A) 26
B) $6,324
C) $1,024

GROG you naughty Neanderthal. You can't vote twice even if you did use the same numbers.

It's great to see all of you voting. Net vs Gross question. It's the amount of money that came to me by way of checks and Paypal before subtracting the cost for supplies. I'm not figuring in miles and gas, hotels and kiln repairs.

I don't want to cause withdrawals so here are a couple of photos.

These are the prizes.

Here are the 16 Severed Heads done so far and we just poured another one.

One more rule. Only one set of votes per person. Cheers, Wendy

Let me introduce to you the TikiManFrond family, to the left is stu ( ku's cousin ) then there is esoteric ralf
and Hot Head tom he is the first tikiman in the family oh and a newcomer he isn't finished yet so im looking for a name and personality if you got any suggestions great.these fronds all came from my backyard and they just sort of grew on me.the outline has been burned with a saudering iron no ink pen then i made colors with a stain and stained them no paint then i used some resin epoxy on teeth and other areas and finish coat of polyurethane
then they started having personalities and became the tikiman frond family and still growing

Gee, that's a hard contest!
I think the original question was hard too. If I can figure out the answer to that question I can ballpark the answer to B. A's probably the easiest, there are a limited # of days in a year and it does take time to fire and cool.....
The answer to C is probably way too much but you want a #.

Math's not my subject but I'm off to crunch some numbers.....

A- 52
B- 30,000
C- 10,000

And I'll bet I'm the last person on page 176

Jon

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2013-01-31 07:30 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 10811 replies