Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Wendy Cevola - The repaired mug goes to La Mariana on Oahu

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 10,811 replies

That's really impressive I'm looking forward to seeing it glazed.

This is a great thread, I'm not a clay person but I feel like I know alot more about the process now, thanks!

hang10tiki that's our biggest tiki and its very old so we keep it in the kitchen nook. I like Dan mustache free. I'm glad you like the bowl.

19tikichef62 I'm so happy to have fulfilled your wish. Your design got me motivated to mold the bowl I'd started many years ago. I like the top you added. I had to do a very simple tapa design because going behind the heads was very difficult. See below.

Philot sometimes I see Dan's hands shake as these are boxed to ship. He really loved your Temple of the Jaguar bowl. But all these designs belong to all of you and not to Dan and I. 50X not heard that before, thank you.
You don't really think Dan's going to let that one leave the house, do you?

Canvas I think, Oh my, fits this bowl especially when it is all in vibrant colors. Thank you for joining in and posting. I do this each day for the reward of the comments that come in to this thread. Welcome.

Atomic Mess clay is such an ancient art form that I love working in it. You and Canvas are new to me I hope you will continue to come back.

Thank you all for your posts. They got my day off to a good start.

For Valentines Day Dan took me back to the Delta King for lunch. The Delta Queen is on the Mississippi. In this photo you can see the Sacramento River, the Golden Bridge to West Sacramento. The paddle-wheel boat we were on is to the right.

A small lunch and then we walked around Old Town for 1.5 hours. Guess what in two shops we found Maori tiki masks. Just the usual kind but still fun to bring home.

2007 my how time flies.

Progress Report Wish List #3

Severed Head #24 is drying.

19TikiChefs bowl has its tapa ring.

When I was forming woman to sit up straight I did an extra one in case any were ruined. I used Professor G's idea and made a rock base for her to sit in.

I rolled out a slab and built up the rocks. I smoothed the inside.

I used a tool to cut around the rocks.

I used a paint brush to move clay to blend the rocks from bottom up.

I double checked to make sure she would fit when the clay is dry.

I HAVE FINISHED SCULPTING ALL THE ORDERS FOR WISH LIST #3.

I have many pieces still drying. They will be bisque fired along with the Severed Heads. Meanwhile I will begin to glaze each piece. If I don't know your color choices I will contact you as I need them. I will start with the easiest first. I need to test glazes to find what works best to match the Severed Head to the original.

Thanks for sticking with me, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2013-02-15 10:09 ]

Looks like you guys had a wonderful day!
& the pic of you from 2007, what a blast from the past! (I agree with you Wendy, although Dan is a very handsome man, he is even handsomer clean shaven.)

Another wonderful display
of your talent with clay
you have given us today
on the Wendy & Dan Show!

~kele :)

Great 14th
Great update

I am very proud my notion has proven to be of service. Nothing lends a sense of gravitas like looking down from a rocky promontory (they're a little hard to climb on, though, so I hope she's wearing practical shoes).

As always, Wendy, thank you for sharing your creativity and excitement with us.

WaikikianMoeKele Dan really enjoyed reading your post. Me too. All our days are wonderful.

hang10tiki great hearing from you too.

Professor G I love doing the rocks. If I can get yours glazed to your liking then I'll be even happier.

Wish List #3 update.

Severed Head #25 is cleaned and drying.

Time to sand another batch.

I decided to make matching mugs for my great niece and great nephew. These will go with the bowls I gave them at Christmas.

I've cleaned up the nook so I can start to glaze every thing.

It's time to sign up for the Sacramento Crawl mug. I posted this on the Sacramento Ohana facebook page and within an afternoon had 9 orders. I am going to start on this mug as soon as all of the wish list items have shipped.

The mug will look just like this tiki from the Coral Reef in Sacramento. It will say Coral Reef on the back and Sac Ohana Crawl will be carved into the bottom along with my name and copy write date of 2013.

It's time to go hunting for glaze in my shed. A fun Saturday ahead. Cheers, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2013-02-23 08:32 ]

Hunting for glaze in your shed is like hunting fish in a barrel ~ you can't swing a tiki without knocking over several pints of glaze :lol:

MadDogMike it just occurred to me that I didn't make any money last year because I bought all that glaze and I haven't finished anything on Wish List #3. Soon I'll be glazing all those pieces including the Severed Heads and I'll be replacing all the money that I've spent and have more to spend on tiki events.

All these pieces were dried so I carried them to the backyard.

Dan with ear and lung protection blew off the clay dust inside and out and into the kiln they went.

I went through all the pieces from the last bisque fire and choose those whose colors I already knew for glazing.

Colors and more colors ahead. Fun times ahead, Wendy

I see a God of War on a rocky promontory. The anticipation builds . . .

That's a good looking batch of future drinking vessels...

Jon

OOOOHHHH Goodie, it's glaze time!

Wendy,

As always, please put me down for a crawl mug. Love looking at your thread-and do so often.

Love ya,

PTD

Professor G I love those rocks and I'm thinking about your glazes. I want the tiki to look as if it was made from one of the rocks types that it sits on. White and Blue with Blue Eyes.

hang10tiki thank you so much for all your visits.

LoriLovesTiki I feel the same way when I open the kiln.

Psycho Tiki D

Severed speckled & spotted brain cavity, hmmmmm--thanks for the updates

fun fun fun

HT

Hold onto those test glazes! If they don't end up in Handsome Dan's collection, then in a year or two from now, you can ebay them and pay for all the glazes you bought last year!

Can't wait to see how the tests turn out! Looking forward to seeing everything else you're glazing too. Dig the goblet, and from what I've seen from different artists that are participating in that show, it's going to be pretty great. And there will be some really fantastic mugs/bowls there for those lucky enough to be able to go.

Holler Waller rot, mold, maybe tar like King Tut was covered in.

hang10tiki and freezing water to work in while the wind whipped past!

Hale Tiki Dan loves shopping at home. Yesterday he claimed Beach Bum Bob.

Oh No! I forgot to enlarge the holes for the two Bob lamps and the parts do not fit.

Dan tried to drill them larger but bisque fired clay is so hard it didn't work. What next, I do not know.

I unloaded the kiln. No problems everything was fine.

I washed everything in freezing water. Today it rains so I had to get this done.

Professor G I've glazed your Frankoma War God with rocks. Some rocks match the tan with blue specks. This is another glaze that is not supposed to move when fired.

Side view.

When parts are too close together you can glaze by just pouring it into the space and tilting the object.

Dan claims Bob for his own. He keeps saying he is soooo cute.

More glazing today. I'm working to fill the kiln before I fire. Hopefully tonight! Cheers, Wendy

Dan is right! Beach Bum Bob is very, VERY cute!

T

Wow, they all look great, can't wait to see them all fired. I wasn't sure how to drill through bisque fired pieces, I thought maybe the right drill bit going really slow, or perhaps a very thin sanding block. I looked it up on Ceramic Arts Daily, and found this:

"Clean accurate holes can be cut using silicon carbide grit. I use number 80 which I originaly bought to make volcanic glazes. For the "drill" you need a length of brass or copper rod of the desired diameter. A drill press is needed as a hand held tool is not steady enough. Firmly mount the work on the drill press. The back of the work behind the drill contact point needs to be well supported ( I use a block of wood ) as the drilling pressure cause a break through as the hole gets deeper which results in a rough edge to the back of the hole. Make a small clay dam around the area to be drilled and add a couple of teaspoons full of water, to this add a 1/4 of a teaspoon full of grit. With the drill set at it's lowest speed GENTLY apply enough pressure to start the cutting action, you can tell when this happens as it causes a crunching sound. When the sound ceases slightly withdraw the drill which allows more grit and fresh water to fall into the hole, continue in this manner until the hole is drilled. Provided the water level is maintained there is no dust from this method as the water contains it. "

I'm not sure if this helps- I use a little stone sanding block, I assume one in the right shape (circular file), & w/ enough filing, would eventually get the hole wide. Dan may need a few more Beach Bum Bobs after all that work! :)

Thanks for all the pics! I'd also love to order a Sacramento Crawl mug- though unfortunately I won't be able to make it up there (though sounds like much fun!).

Hahahahaha. Of course he did. Despite his impressive collection, I don't think I've seen a Bob with arms and legs!

And just a suggestion on the holes. Diamond hole saws can be found cheap at HarborFreight and online. They'll cut through darn near anything, and might work for ceramic, since diamond blades are usually what's used for ceramic tile.

Good luck!

Lamps can now be sold as a huge mug with a straw hole
:)

Jon

C

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a crawl mug?
The mind boggles. Does it come with a rope to hang around the neck, so when legless on pub crawls you don't lose your precious personal drinking vessel?

The God of War looks good. The God of War looks strong. The God of War (on his rocky promontory) looks confident.

This time, there will be success.

LoriLovesTiki you made Bob blush!

TikiAno I put you an the list for a crawl mug. Thank you for all the information. It goes to show that mistakes with ceramics are not all that forgiving. I'm not sure what I'll do next.

Hale Tiki I did a Suffering Bastard Bob for hang10Tiki that had arms and kind of legs. Thanks for the saw information and wish for good luck.

hang10tiki good idea.

Canvas each year tiki homes in our area are open and serving drinks and food according to a schedule. Last year it took 3 days and 404 miles to reach each home. It was so much fun. To commemorate the event I make a mug that has to do with some tiki place in our area. Unfortunately they have all closed down. So far I've done the Zombie Hut/Coral Reef combo mug, Tiki Bobs Sacramento and the Hawaiian Hut. This year will be a better Coral Reef mug because instead of the Mask I'm making one of their Tikis as a mug.

Professor G I'm so glad you are feeling it. I am too. The blue spots hardly show on the photo but the glaze chart says they will be a good blue after firing.

Progress Report Wish List #3.

I've decorated the mugs I've made for my great niece and great nephew. I used French Dimensions. I hope it doesn't run during firing. The bowls I made for them had this product used on a flat surface not a side.

Since I'm doing a Mrs. Pac man for the same person getting this Pac Man I decided to repaint it with the same colors. It's more of a touch up.

Assembly line time. I painted around the faces first.

Then the bodies. This was done three times.

Now I've started the first glaze test on a Severed Head. I'm still taking orders. See page one of this thread if your not sure if your name is on the list.

At the end of the day my table looked like this. I still need to put clear glaze on all the Bob faces when they are done and also the teeth on the Frankoma statue.

Another day of glazing ahead.

Thank you for all the notes, I treasure them, Wendy

Wendy,
Those Ms Pac-Man mugs are coming along great! Exciting to see. I hope that the severed head glaze comes out looking really good. I just saw my first original "in the flesh" at Gecko's yesterday. He was really nice and I got to see some of your art there and at La Mariana. Very cool!

Sorry about my spelling, difficult to write on my phone :)

[ Edited by: Lunavideogames 2013-02-21 22:55 ]

Wow! Page 184 has more creative work than I did all last year. The Pac Man mug is toooo wild.

lunavideogames I hope to finish glazing this kiln load today or tomorrow. I'm looking forward to finishing the first head.

Robb Hamel you are so kind. SM Bacon designed the Pac Man mugs. I like wishes to come true and my friends have lots of ideas that are fun and challenging to make. Both your new tiki and new building black velvets inspire me.

I started my day by adding clear glaze layers on Professor G's statue.

Next were the three Mrs. Pac Man mugs. I did the faces three layers per face. Then I moved on to the pink bars.

To keep the dots from running I would paint them on one side of each mug then turn and do them on another side for each one. I only got one layer for each dot completed yesterday.

Today I will do 2 more layers on the dots and then paint all of the red strips 3 times each along with the eyes. In the background of this photo you can see that I finished Beach Bum Bob and the Bumatay Bob for Holler Waller aka Tiki Beeki.

I hope to finish the first Severed Head glaze test today. I finished the skin yesterday. I better go pour another head.

Cheers, Wendy

G
GROG posted on Thu, Feb 21, 2013 10:28 AM

GROG need you to come glaze GROG' ceramics. GROG hate glazing. Not too fond of cleaning up greenware either, but really enjoy the sculpting part.

Looking good Wendy, keep up the great work. Dan, bake her some more cookies, she going to need a good reward.

G
GROG posted on Thu, Feb 21, 2013 10:37 AM

Damned Tiki Central double-post.

[ Edited by: GROG 2013-02-21 10:47 ]

Yippee glazes...I really like the Mrs. Pacmans...Again it's probably the primary colors, but maybe it's the hours and quarters dad let me have at the arcade when I brought home A's on my report cards as a kid

G
GROG posted on Thu, Feb 21, 2013 10:46 AM

[ Edited by: GROG 2013-02-21 10:46 ]

You are so talented Wendy! And such a hard worker, you seem to get so much done. I am really excited to see the test glazes on the new Severed Head mugs! It's a cold, rainy day here in So Cal, perfect for hot out of the oven cookies.

I can't wait for you to load the kiln for a glaze fire! This batch is going to be amazingly good, I can feel it.

GROG Dan did as you said and baked cookies. I finished glazing a load, fired the kiln and went to work a heads that have been stacking up. Thank you.

dartharnie I got a quarter an A too. I need your color choices it is time for the monster trio to be glazed.

Dawee Tiki the kiln will be cooling down and I'll be able to post photos Sunday morning of the first severed head. Photos below.

LoriLovesTiki me too. There is a lot of variety in this load.

Progress Report Wish List #3...now we are getting somewhere

I didn't start my day well. I unscrewed the cap and then I shook the jar.

It was worse than it looked. I had to take another shower and then mop the floor and clean table.
I started with the mouth and teeth. The tongue got one more layer than the rest to make it darker.

To make that messy black on the face I added glaze and then smeared it around with water on a paint brush.

The hair is black, pink and blue. The original mugs had red cold paint (enamel) added for the blood. This part comes off if the mug is used a lot or washed in hot water. I decided to use glaze and to see how that looks. Then it is permanent. If I should stick with how the vintage one was done let me know. I have the enamel that they used so I can do it their way too.

I didn't have a self glazing under-glaze for white so after using it I had to put a clear glaze over it.

This is how many different glazes and how many layers I used for this one head.

Mr. Pac Man and his two wives.

I painted the red trim on each mug three times.

Done and drying. Sometimes the clear glaze needs to be done a second time. I won't know until they come out of the kiln.

It was very windy yesterday so I used it to dry the mugs so I could fire them.

Bottom shelf.

Top shelf.

That's all folks! Wendy

G
GROG posted on Fri, Feb 22, 2013 12:41 PM

You are a MACHINE!!

GROG has shaken glaze bottle with the top unscrewed before. Messy. Messy.

Oh GROG if only I were a kiln. I went to check on it this morning and a warning buzzer was going off. Error message E---d.
It means the zones were not firing correctly. I called for a repair and both workers had called in ill on the same day. So now I can't get a repair scheduled until Monday.

I'm going to set it up again and see if it was just a glitch. So tonight I'll try once more. My last repair was in November. What a bummer.

): Wendy

HT

That is a bummer. Sorry to hear that Wendy. The head looks amazing. I'm so excited. I can't wait to see it!!!

Also, I say no to the cold glaze. It does come off, and I think that it'd be better for it to be permanent. Guess it depends on how it looks fired, but personally I'd rather have it as a glaze. It'll help to make it more your own too. Just my 2 cents.

Sorry the kiln is being uncooperative
The head looks sweeeet lil lady

Jon

C
cy posted on Fri, Feb 22, 2013 3:17 PM

Fantastic new work Wendy!

I can't believe the kiln is working against us! Darn it. Doesn't it know how many people are monitoring it???

I hope it's fixed quickly or even better, fixes itself!!
(fingers crossed)

Hale Tiki all is well. I prefer the real red glaze too. I hope it looks good.

hang10tiki all is well.

cy all of your carvings are fantastic. Thank you.

LoriLovesTikis all is well.

Hi Friends, I thought about the error message that had shut down my kiln. It said that some zones were not within 100 degrees of each other. I use an aero-vent that pulls air in from the outside to make the hot air in the kiln circulate better. It has been in the low 30's each night (that's when I fire) so I thought maybe it is too cold to use. Last night I set up the kiln and left it off. This morning there was no message and the kiln said it had completed its task. So by Monday morning I'll have it opened and we can see the results. Thank you all for your messages.

I've completed enough heads to make a run of 30 that look like the Ren Clark version. On top of that I made extras in case I ruin any. I also plan to do some 1/1's in my own colors and with modifications.

I've been so busy that I just kept the heads in plastic bags. Yesterday I took them out to clean up.

We need to go to Alpha to get slip. We've emptied all these jugs on projects.

When I fine tune I finish off the waves of hair by adding clay.

Now they are on the dining room table drying.

Today I will begin glazing dartharnies monster trio.

Thank you for the visit, Wendy

"I've been so busy that I just kept the heads in plastic bags." - W.C. Quote of the Day :o

That table looks sweet...

Jon

Can't wait for that kiln to open!!!!!

Hi Friends, so sorry to have missed posting yesterday. We've been very busy since Sunday. It started with a terrific visit from Steve Soto (on Tiki Central he is Steve Soto), funny. The rest of Sunday and Monday I glazed. I opened the kiln and found most were perfect but a few had tiny skips or blending of glazes I didn't like. I just got right to work on them. Then I glazed the monster trio. Into the kiln they all went and are at this moment still firing due to a late start last night.

I'm going to go pick up my best friend since 7th grade and bring her here. I promise photos tonight. Wendy

dartharnie the head is baking in the kiln along with your Mummy, Invisible Man and Bela Lugosi. Photos tonight.

hang10tiki I lie awake at night thinking of the best way to attack that table and get the work done.

LoriLovesTiki me too!

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2013-02-25 09:00 ]

I am besides myself giddy knowing the monster trio are getting that much closer to swimming in rum!

Lots of photos for you dartharnie.

In this kiln load there were a few tiny glaze skips that I fixed and put back to re-fire. That load is still cooling. Those that made it just fine have completed photos here.

This is my glaze test mug and all the colors match the original. No need to make another glaze test for the run. So now I'll just have fun playing with the extras that I made for testing. I'll have better photos when this is out of the kiln tomorrow.

Dan's Beach Bum Bob is now enjoying his drink and waiting to find where Dan will display him.

Holler Waller's (aka Beeki Tiki) Bumatay Fish bob is finished.

My great-nephew's mug is finished but his sisters is in the next load.

Professor G did I fulfill your wish or is this a nightmare??? This ends the out of kiln presentation.

Now for dartharnie's monster trio. He'll add these to his Wolf Man and Frankenstein mugs.

The Mummy. First Coat of dark brown.

Wiped it off.

Second coat of light Gray with specks.

Third coat on half of the cloth strips. Yellowish with bigger specks.

Bela Lugosi the Vampire. Black first.

Close up.

White shirt, vest and tie. Brass buttons.

Close up. I have not put a clear glaze on the shirt or face yet. I wanted to see what he looks like in white first. If dartharnie wants a bit of a human color to the face then I can still do that. So this will fire one more time to complete it.

The Invisible Man. Four glazes.

Another view.

Into the Kiln last night.

I'm looking forward to your comments. I do this because I love to read what you write here. Thank you, Wendy

All outstanding Wendy, but I am really drawn to the Invisible Man, superb! So talented! (Love Dan's Beach Bum Bob, too!)

Hope to see ya both soon!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 10811 replies