Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Wendy Cevola - New colors of the Frank mug by Frankoma now available.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 10,816 replies

I love the headline, "Four altered severed heads are fine tuned".
It reminds me of an old cartoon I saw where a headhunter is playing xylophone on human skulls.

Love the finger hole Severed Head Wendy :lol: You had told me about MP's request for a satin black head. I didn't say anything but I thought it wouldn't look good ~ I was wrong! It looks great :D

HT

On 2013-03-13 08:17, danlovestikis wrote:

This is my favorite picture of Dan, hands down.

MP's head looks fantastic. I like the psychedelic interior. I have a real soft spot for those glazes after all the glaze research I did recently. And I'm going to assume the mouthless head will end up with Dan. It reminds me of the cutouts that have been done by Gecko, Cass, and others. The cutout mouths really make for interesting mugs. You'll get a good view of the glaze through the mouth, so I'm looking forward to seeing what you do for that glaze.

Your in progress reports really show just how much time, effort, and skill go into ceramics, something that may be lost on the uninitiated.

Those heads are looking so good - tapa snake, finger tongue, sewed up mouth, and that interior glaze. Also thanks to Dawee for asking a question I've been meaning to for a while. Of course, the answer's even better!

M
mp posted on Wed, Mar 13, 2013 8:50 PM

Wendy, The Black Severed Head looks amazing! As does everything else, of
course. Thanks so much for taking a special request. MP

All the SH variations look really cool
The mind of Wendy continues to amaze
Dan-O grabbed a couple of great vessels

Jon

tikilongbeach I think I saw that cartoon too.

MadDogMike I'm glad you liked it. MP and I did too.

Hale Tiki Dan was flattered that you liked his photo. He tries really hard to look crazy, well not too hard.
The way it works is if it doesn't have a name attached to it someone can ask about buying it. Or I post it for sale. If it doesn't sell here I ask Dan if he wants to buy it or do a task to own it. I keep him busy and he adds to his collection. So far no takers for those altered severed heads but glazing will make a difference to someone looking.

Each day my tasks are towards a specific goal. What can I do so that I can fire up the kiln with a load as full as possible.

Holler Waller on this thread I repeat myself many times. I do that so that people who are just starting to watch and do not want to look at all my other pages get their answers. Always ask and I'll do my best to help out.

mp you are welcome. Who knows maybe you will make the trip here to pick it up rather than have it mailed. No date yet on when you can have it. I have 30 heads of the run to finish.

hang10tiki it's fun to fool around with these. If a person were to drink from that open mouth it would look like the old version of CPR.

It is still Dan's birthday month so I took him record shopping. At The Beat in downtown Sacramento we found a section for our perfect kind of music. He found a Martin Denny record that he had never seen before.

A few days before I gave him one that I'd gotten from Amazon. This Martin Denny recorded in 1969 is with synthesizers and Dan said it sounds like he was on acid.

Progress Report Wish List #3

I called and talked to the kiln repair guy. He told me how to replace the thermal couple. I had one stored in my shed. He said that's what the error message indicated when I last used the kiln. This is it the guilty piece.

Dan opened the box for me.

I found the back end of the TC (same initials as Tiki Central!) and unscrewed it.

He unscrewed the damaged TC.

We replaced it with a new one.

Back in place. Now its time to test it with a load.

The bottom shelf has 19TikiChef62's bowl. The metal glaze fires at 04 so it goes into this bisque load. Then I will glaze and fire the girls later.

Top shelf are the altered severed heads.

Not a full load but good enough since it is also a test to see if we have repaired the kiln.

March 20th is the first day of spring but I swear it's here early.

I wish you a day full of joy, Wendy

Dan-0
I have not seen that LP either
And your right on about the moog LP

Jon

Wendy,

I am really looking forward to seeing the metalic finish after it comes out of the kiln! (I'm sure you are too.)

T

Like Lori, I'm excited to see the metallic finish. I've seen Amaco's Palladium fire very metallic-looking, from what I've heard location in the kiln will bring out more metallic qualities (middle shelf)- though it sounds like you're using a different glaze. Love all the new pieces- and dig the black severed head, too. And would like to hear both of those Martin Denny albums- when can we start streaming music through TC? :)

Wendy (& Gonzo Dan)~
aMAZing! really, truly & absoLUTEly!
~kele

hang10tiki Dan is still looking for the Augie Colon album Sophisticated Savage. There is another album by this name out there but he wants it by this guy who was in the Les Baxter band. Anyone have it for sale?

LoriLovesTiki I was behind on posting photos so today you will see the finish and its better than I could have hoped for.

TikiAno Dan doesn't just collect tikis. He was first a album collector. Now he also collects components from thrift stores. He has set up five areas of stereos to play his music. Wherever he is there is music.

WaikikianMoeKele you type really cUtE!

pRogReSs rEpoRt Wish List #3

The metal glaze works really well. Fired at 04 on the bottom level. Slow ramp 12.5 hours.

In the kiln after firing. That's not a hole in the bottom just a reflection.

Out of the kiln. You can see my reflection in this finish. Next I'll glaze the women.

In the same load were the four altered severed heads. None blew up they are all fine and ready to be glazed.

On the shelf are my temperature cones. I had one for 03 04 05. They show me that since we replaced the thermal couple the kiln is firing hotter than what I set it for. They all melted, 03 bent the amount the cooler 04 should have bent. So now I'll have to adjust for that.

Cheers, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2013-03-15 07:33 ]

D

Hello Wendy!

I've been lurking in this thread for some time, drooling over what you create with all of your talent! I so love the altered severed heads, especially the shrunken head and Mr. Snake Mouth! Thank you for sharing with all of us!

I looked online, and are either of these the album you and Dan are looking for? Neither is mine, but I thought I'd at least post the links so you could check them out:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-SAVAGE-BEAT-OF-AUGIE-COLON-Sophisticated-Savage-LP-Martin-Denny-/281072640260?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item41713c2104

http://www.musicstack.com/item/261144680

By the way, the metallic glaze on the bowl is so fantastic! Thanks again for sharing your pictures!

DooWop thank you very much. I went on eBay and did the Buy it Now. Shipping was free. It's good to meet you. I appreciate the help. I had a search going and eBay never sent me a notice. I would have missed this. (: Wendy

PS Dan is reading a book right now and the title is Doo Wop!

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2013-03-15 21:12 ]

The metalic finish is amazing! Like a mirror, that finish!! Can't wait to see it all finished after you glaze the wahines.

LoriLovesTiki you are my only message today, thank you. I'm working on those ladies. I hope to fire this weekend. This is a good one do do with mixing glazes because the women also get a lot of enamel paint and I can then fix attachment messes if they occur.

I went back to Alpha Fired Arts and bought more glaze for the 30 severed heads now that the colors have been finalized. I also found these new colors so I did the glaze tests for them.

Liddle Lola/Darilyn came by to pick up her bar sign. She was in the perfect matching colors to make a great photo.

Sometimes there is a mug that just won't work. This one is for Atomic Chick. All the Mrs. Pac Man's came out just fine but Mr. Pac Man wants to shed his glaze. I used enamel to fix a couple of these areas but then more popped off. So I needed to try a major fix for the 3rd time. First I boiled off the enamel paint.

I wore a silicon glove to hold the super hot mug while I scrubbed off the paint.

Then Dan took it outside and used a wire brush on the whole mug and then rough sandpaper. Hopefully there are no more spots to worry about.

I spent a good part of the day doing all the layering of the colored glazes back on the mug and then this clear.

The rest of the day I worked on the bowl for 19TikiChef62. I put three layers of flesh on the women's bodies and skirt areas.

I filled up the entire bottom of the kiln. Now I need to finish this bowl for the top layer.

Another day of glazing and spending the time with my sweetheart Dan.

Cheers, Wendy

Amazing process shots as always Wendy!

This is the best thread of tc!

Your speed amazes me. Can't wait to see the wahine vessel when it's finished!

Edited to add: I can't believe it's going in the next load. I thought it would be a while until it was done being glazed.

[ Edited by: LoriLovesTiki 2013-03-16 14:46 ]

V

Wendy -

You are the hardest working ceramic artist I know! The pac-man mug is a GREAT concept - I hope you are able to overcome the technical hiccups!

Henrik

PS - do you stilt all your mugs when firing? I used to, but was lost too many mugs to bent/failed pins during firing. Does that ever happen to you? I often wondered if my mugs were either too big, or the pins I had in the studio were low quality.

[ Edited by: VanTiki 2013-03-16 18:40 ]

When I saw the "boiling Bob" title, I thought of Fatal Attraction!
eek!
~kele

[ Edited by: WaikikianMoeKele 2013-03-16 19:34 ]

I've never seen that LP (Sophisticated Savage)
Great cover

Jon

almost forgot, I was out hunting today when I saw an album that looked like a bunch of your models...
:)

jon

zerostreet on your thread too, thank you. I'm always checking out your mugs and paintings.

LoriLovesTiki I don't think of myself as fast. I wish I could find a faster way. I'm only working on the bowl for 19TikiChef62 and that's why it is progressing towards the kiln faster than expected. Once it's done I can fire so I'm starting early this morning to see if I can finish it up.

VanTiki
Hi Henrik, you are on the Big Island of Hawaii and I saw your guest house rental web page. Very nice. I have never lost a mug from stilts collapsing but I've lost stilts when too much glaze ran down onto them. I love keeping my glazes close to the bottom or covering the bottoms so I have to stilt and kiln wash the shelves. See you at Oasis?

WaikikianMoeKele I liked the way that sounded and you picked up on that, good job.

hang10tiki Dan's really happy when he finds a good cover and it's even better when the music is great. What a fun monster cover. Dan just watched the movie Creature of the Black Lagoon yesterday and then you post this album cover that says monster voices. He said in the whole movie the creature only growled. dartharnie would like this album.

Progress on Wish List #3 is only for 19TikiChef62's pot.

I now have 4 layers of glaze on the bodies and one on the hair. Here are a few views.

So today I hope to finish this, have it dry, and fire tonight. Hopefully that will happen. Wish me luck, Wendy

More hubba-hubba

:wink:

Good luck!

Good luck, Wendy!
The ladies look delicious!
~kele

hang10tiki no kidding. One day I'll do a bowl with a breast reduction instead of moving the arms around.

LoriLovesTiki thank you and Kele, my fingers are crossed.
~kele

I put the bowl on the top shelf all by itself and fired up the kiln last night. I will open it tomorrow.

Before 19TikiChef62's bowl went into the kiln I glazed all the skirts and flowers in three different colors.

Scuba Bob has been waiting for Marone Tiki to come pick him up. During this wait Dan would gaze at Bob with longing.

When Marone Tiki arrived he had to rip Bob from Dan's hands.

We had a fun visit and Monty didn't ever set Scuba Bob down! Cheers, Wendy

Lookin good...

Ya almost had it Dan-O

Jon

I don't blame Dan, Scuba Bob is one of my favorites!

Dan should have challenged Marone Tiki to some Indian Rasslin'. His ceramic bionic knee would have given him the edge.

HT

On 2013-03-18 07:54, danlovestikis wrote:

GIT 'IM DAN!

Thank You Wendy and Dan for your work in fashioning these mugs. The brothers are now (re)united.

Good luck with the Mr PacMan mug Wendy, that can be so frustrating! Everything is looking way cool! :)

Holler Waller, thank you for the photo. Having them together is wonderful. When dartharnie has all five I'll hope for a photo of his monster collection.

MadDogMike today I'll see if it is fixed or not. The kiln opens later today, photos tomorrow.

Years ago I did a sculpt for Gecko which I called the Bloody Polynesian. He just decided to start making these just as I'm doing all the Ren Clark heads. It will be fun to see how each of us do these. I did the sculpt for him in exchange for a 1/1 head. So these eBay auctions are his. I just get to watch.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/W-Cevola-Severd-Head-tiki-mug-by-Gecko-South-Sea-Arts-made-in-Hawaii-1-1-/140936740959?ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

You all have made Dan feel famous as the star of the Dan and Wendy show. It's gone to his head and now he thinks he should be in a "Got Milk?", commercial.

I'm nearing the end of the wish list. I have one project under the wraps that I glaze today. Then its nothing but severed heads. I did two of the altered today and two more altered after the under wraps project. Then I start on the run of 30.

I glazed the bottoms and insides first. Here I'm pouring out the excess glaze.

I love to use the tops of shot glasses to hold my glazes for dipping. Here I have the three colors I need. Black, blue and pink.

This head has his eyeballs popping out and his tongue extended.

I use this technique only for the red glaze. I squeeze it out and guide it with a brush. I keep it thick this way.

In 9 hours I was able to do both of these. The other has the mouth cut out.

Angled view.

Dan says that I need to keep the show going if he's to get the photo in a magazine. Cheers, Wendy

It looks more like Dan is auditioning for a "Got Pina Colada" commercial to me.

The severed heads are great. Just like your many different Bob's, It's exciting to see each severed head take on an afterlife of its own.

Looks like a scene from The Walking Dead...

Not u Dan-O

This -

After a bad night at the tiki lounge...
~kele

On 2013-03-19 09:19, danlovestikis wrote:
I glazed the bottoms and insides first. Here I'm pouring out the excess glaze.

Ugh...I've had night like this! :wink:

dartharnie his milk mustache was from a Sweet Lassie at our favorite Indian restaurant. The first time it happened he didn't know until I told him. Then I thought why not take a photo to share. It was fun to change the heads. I'm looking forward to seeing them glazed.

hang10tiki Dan was glad you clarified that message.

WaikikianMoeKele I hope not!

Loki-Tiki may it be the last.

The kiln opened and here's the news.

Looking in is always fun. I had to hide some undercover projects that I'll show one day in the future.

I checked dartharnies Dracula and I found a glaze crack in a new place.

Using a dental pick I was able to pull it lose. I will glaze and fire it again. All the other repaired spots were perfectly fixed and invisible.

Sometimes luck is with me. Chippy's mug came out and is perfect.

I copied the badge emblem as much as I could. I just noticed I need to put the spear in the woman's hand.
I'll bake this enamel to set.

Inside the mug. I had fun choosing the glaze.

I did traditional colors for the Bob's that will become lamps.

Here's the group together waiting to be taken into the house. Pac Man popped glaze off in two places and the face bubbled. I'll try one more time Atomic Chick.

I'll be back tomorrow. Cheers, Wendy

We may make it to the Don the Beachcomber's sale in April, I know a lot of you could come there to pick up your mugs...
SM Bacon, lunarvideogames, Chippy anyone else?

I'll be back tomorrow. Cheers, Wendy

Chippy looks sweet but I can't drive 55
:)
Love the color on the Bob lamps
Thanks for the updates

Jon

I recognized this as the Indian buffet :D
Got my fingers crossed for those glaze issues to resolve

It will probably not please Chippy that when I see his mug, my first reaction is, "CUTIE" & I want to put little flowers around the brim of his hat!
Oh well, probably the 70's (I did graduate from high school in 1974) free love & hippie child in me coming out! lol
~kele

Wendy, that bowl looks great! The metallic glaze on it makes it look metal and reflective. Very cool.

I hope that you guys can make it down to the International Tiki Marketplace. Everyone would love to see you and it is always fun times! Dan & Wendy show live at Don the Beachcomber! :)

T

Wendy, the latest looks great! Chippy's mug is indeed awesome, your attention to detail continues to astound- and impress me. I can't wait to see the Bob lamp progress (the Bob lamp cometh?- too literary?) Dracula is looking super sweet- the last photo (in particular) showcases how very b&w he looks. Love it.

Unfortunately I won't be able to make the Tiki Marketplace this time around- work calls on that day- look forward to seeing updates and photos if you guys can head down there.

C

Sometimes words just do not convey the appropriate emotions.

Thank you so much Wendy. Thank you.

You took a simple idea and made it into something very special.

Thank you.

Dave: I hope the wife lets you display that one, in the living room, with spotlights on it! :D

[ Edited by: tikilongbeach 2013-03-22 09:02 ]

hang10tiki sweet? Yes I think Chippy's sweet. You are too!

MadDogMike we had fun taking you there. You need to come back for another visit.

WaikikianMoeKele its fun to see Chippy get this attention.

lunavideogames I'm pretty sure we are coming. We need to set up the house sitter first. I'll bring Mrs. Pac Man. More photos below on the bowl.

TikiAno we'll miss you at Marketplace for sure. The lamps/actually a torch are a challenge for we who are inexperienced at buying parts. We'll make a good go of it. Chippy himself is awesome.

Chippy thank you. Who drew this picture? All I did was copy his inspiration and he should get the credit.

Big Kahuna that works for me!

If I've made or are making something for you including the run of Severed Heads let me know if you are coming to the April 6th sale at Don the Beachcombers.

19TikiChef62 here is the lesson of the day concerning the mixing of glazes with different firing temperatures. The metal glaze is made to fire at 04. So the first time in the kiln I did that and it came out very shiny. Then I glazed the women who had to fire at 06 which is cooler. This temperature took the metal glaze and made it pewter rather than shiny. I like it better I hope you do.

Where the woman attached to the pot came out really well.

This bowl is far from complete. I will be doing designs on the skirt, tattoos on the bodies, a ring around the band on the pot and faces on the women.

Mr. Pac Man will not co-operate and is driving me crazy with small areas of glaze popping off. I had Dan dremmel, sand and wire brush him one last time.

Then I glazed him again. I'm trying this many times (4) because I have space in the kiln. The Mrs. Pac Men were no trouble at all.

The kiln is still not working right so the repair man is due here in an hour. I'll go glaze while I wait for him.

Cheers, Wendy

tikilongbeach I just saw you posted when I did. I like those ice cubes...take note Chippy!

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2013-03-21 09:38 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 10816 replies