Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Wendy Cevola - New colors of the Frank mug by Frankoma now available.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 10,816 replies

S

Maddy's mug came out fantastic Wendy. I know how frustrating it is to spend so much time making a mug from start to finish only to have issues with the glaze, but your perserverance certainly paid off.
And it's a good thing you took photos of the mug with the dark background. You can hardly notice it's there in the picture of you holding it, it blends into your shirt so well.

The finished mug looks amazing! I agree with Swizzle, it blends into your shirt too well!

Waiting not so patiently for Hale to start telling his story. C'mon Hale!!!

Me like, a lot

Hale, are you going to have time this weekend too fill us in on your side of the story? We are all getting anxious. It is a great story! I want to know how you brought it all together.

We are at the Tiki Kon hotel. Our timing to come early has been great. For the first time we are going to the 1600 booth Portland Expo antique sale to look for tikis. We have found some in the town of Oalkand but all the other towns along the way have been tiki free. No photos until we are home but I've gotten a few cute ones of Dan.

TikiAno GROG is also a cute caveman. I agree it is my crawl army ready to take on some rum quarts. I think a red neon tube top would be perfect!

littlegiles thank you and thank you. I have not heard anthing about Maddy's reaction to her mug so I'm ready to hear from Hale Tiki.

Gene S Morgan I was really pleased that the glaze changes worked out and that Hale Tiki was pleased.

dartharnie wow, all of you (and you) are so very nice to me. I appreciate this so much.

swizzle what a great idea. I could make mugs painted to match the persons shirt so it is hidden as they walk around. I always learn from my mistakes. Remember what Colton the kiln repair person said about Aqua Net hairspray. Next time I'll try his trick to make glaze stick. I look forward to all your projects. Tiki Oasis will not be the same without you.

LoriLovesTiki lets to a YELL. HALE TIKI WE WANT YOUR STORY!!!

lunavideogames lets to a YELL. HALE TIKI WE WANT YOUR STORY!!!

Well dear friends we are off to the hunt. Cheers, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2013-07-12 08:51 ]

Hi Friends, we managed to walk through almost 1600 booths. Some were not open on Friday or setting up. Dan found some tiki treasures but there was almost nothing there. 6 booths had a few tikis. He found one plaster plaque that we think is tiki. When we are home I'll ask for help figuring it out. For $5 we couldn't pass it up.

I was bent over looking at tourist pamphlets at the hotel and a guy named Keith recognized me by my hair! He stayed at Brenda's Tiki Hut for the 2010 Sacramento Crawl and I met him there. It was such fun to see him again. We also ran into Bosco who will be lecturing today.

We got up early for breakfast so that when it is time to help set up Mahalo Tiki's booth we will be ready.

Time to run this will be a great day. It is cool and breezy on the Oregon/Washington border. Cheers, Wendy

Have fun
Can't wait to see photos

Jon

Hi Wendy,

It was nice meeting you today! I love your work!!!! I know you were getting ready to head off on a tour in the big yellow bus, so THANKS for saying "Hi" to my twin brother and I on your way out. Hope you have an AWESOME time at Tiki Kon!!!
-Brian

hang10tiki I've been taking photos but the event has a professional photographer who hasn't stopped clicking since we get here. This event is over the top terrific. There has been a cool breeze along the river, this hotel is perfect for fun times. The event planners have done a wonderful job. We had fun riding a school bus to Trader Vic's for a fun meal.

Today we are back on the bus to see The Alibi, Hale Pele, even the home of Munktiki.

Last night I won a tiki candle at the trivia contest.

You know how I like hugs and this has been a hug fest. CY, Mahalo Tiki, tigertail777, Big Toe, Sophista Tiki, Mikey Tiki, Moai Mike, Polynesian Pattie, I'm leaving out so many.

It's great to hear from you Jon.

Bloody Good I sure wish I had a photo of you and your brother, meeting you both was a treat. Your smiles are infectious. If you get a chance someday post a photo here. I'd like everyone to meet you. Thank you for watching my thread.

It's time to run we have a full day of tiki fun ahead. Cheers everyone, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2013-07-14 08:26 ]

It was great finally meeting you guys in person, not to mention seeing your wonderful work "offscreen". Talking with you guys and some others I met from the board was the highlight of the event! Wanna know something funny? Today for the first time in Goodwill I found a tiki mug ( a tikifarm one) after your generous donation of the Orchids of Hawaii mug I think it started something! Don't worry though I won't become another Dan. :wink:

tigertail777 it was great hanging with you at the event. There should be only one Dan!

The event has ended and Dan and I are hitting the road for a slow (tiki hunt) trip home. I hope we have the same lucky that tigertail777 had at Goodwill, I'm sure we will stop at some of those.

I took lots of photos but by the end of day one the photographer that Greg and Justin hired has taken 3000 and posted them on the Tiki Kon facebook site. He made us all feel like stars by taking every ones photo constantly. It was lots of fun. This has been a great event.

We got to not only visit Munktiki's home it was as if we were having a family reunion. We've know Miles and Paul for many years and we loved seeing them again.

Well Dan's calling from the lobby below, got to run. Cheers, Wendy

Wendy, glad you had a great trip and lots of hugs. More coming up next month :)

Sounds like a wonderful time was had by all! Can't wait to see the pics.
Some day I'll get to at least ONE tiki event!
~kele

MadDogMike it was wonderful. There are some photos posted by CY on the event page. August hugs on the horizon!

Kele home crawls are super too. VampiressRN has organized ours the last two years and Psycho Tiki D invented it for our area. Maybe you could Ask on the event page if there are people in your area that would open their homes for an hour or two and start a one day home bar tour event. Start small and it will grow. Ours is now three days long and every second is exquisite.

We have continued to have good luck hunting for tikis. We haven't found any in California for a long time but here in Oregon we have found so many that Dan's ecstatic. He's about to throw out our suitcases to make more room.

We are in Newport, Oregon and went to an underwater garden where a diver holds up star fish and other aquatic animals for us to look at, even though it was aimed at 5 year old we had fun.

We leave on the next leg of our journey in a few minutes. More tiki hunting. So far all I've bought is a bag of chocolate toffee and some nuts at a Dollar Tree store. Dan bought those too plus his tikis!

Work is coming closer to us by the hour. I'm missing playing with all the friends, new and old, that were at Tiki Kon but I miss posting and reading your comments here too. Cheers, Wendy

WooHoo! It sounds like You & Dan are having a Tiki-rrific Trip. We can't wait to see your pictures and hear more about your adventures. Safe Travels!!!!!

Wow, Wendy! Beautiful colors!

TikiKon sounds like a lot of fun! I'm sad there aren't that many tiki events near me either, Kele! Last year my husband and I went to Ohana in Lake George. Next year I hope to go back or to something else.

WooHoo so good to hear from you. Soon we'll be hugging at Oasis! Our trip is perfect and full of tikis. We've met a lady in Coos Bay who has a two story antique store and is going to put in a tiki bar and tikis to sell area. She opened a closed store to let us inside and Dan found some fun things.

TikiRootsRocka thank you. Every time I see a vintage Hawaiian Shirt I think of you so its often!

LoriLovesTiki these events keep tiki alive and we really don't want it to go away. Every time one of you write to me here keeps me inspired to keep making tiki art. If no one wrote I'd be so sad.

Thank you all for keeping me very happy.

We are still on the road and we have found some outstanding tiki art and all of it has been really cheap. I recommend Oregon for tiki searches and for TIKI KON. It is also like winter here on the coast. Cold and foggy. Dan's in heaven, me too.

We are leaving now for a petting soon of jungle cats. I hope I come back with my hands! Bye for now.

Grog I hope you are feeling way better today. Hugs, Wendy

https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A1GY8gBYGX3OPV

I just found photos from Tiki Kon's professional photographer. He did some very nice shots of Dan and I.

Our trip is progressing smoothly. We had a wonderfully cold walk on a perfect beach today in Bandon, Oregon.

Cheers, Wendy

Thanks for the photo link
Looks like everyone had fun

:)

G
GROG posted on Thu, Jul 18, 2013 9:49 AM
E

You crack me up, Grog - in my mind, "Windy" is about a very gassy girl ...

I'm looking forward to your pix, Wendy (emphasis on the E) - glad you guys had a fun trip!

Cheers!

e.

T

Grog, ha. Good find.

Wendy, safe travels back, look forward to seeing your pics from Tiki Kon- but the link you posted had great ones.

On 2013-07-17 19:56, danlovestikis wrote:

Our trip is progressing smoothly. We had a wonderfully cold walk on a perfect beach today in Bandon, Oregon.

Cheers, Wendy

That sounds so great compared to the weather that we're dealing with here in northeastern Pennsylvania.
We're in day 4 of a 5-6 day heat wave, & I do NOT deal well with hot weather!
As my mother likes to say, if it's cold, you can keep piling clothes on; when it's hot, you get to the
point where you can't take anything more off & appear in polite society!
~kele

Silly Grog
:)

G
GROG posted on Fri, Jul 19, 2013 2:22 AM

Is that a drink, like a Navy GROG, or a Captain's GROG?

I expect to see Wendy in a mini skirt and dancing with scarves at the next Tiki Kon thanks to Grog's video. :wink:

Hi Friends, Dan and I woke up in Bandon, Oregon yesterday morning and headed down the coast tiki hunting. In Brookings, Oregon we found the greatest tiki treasure of our entire lives. I spotted it in an antique mall booth and after some dickering with the 100 year old owner over the phone Dan bought it for $400. It has an exciting provenance that I'll share with you all once we are unpacked and rested. We started on the road at 7 am and with this purchase decided we had to bring it home. We kept going until we entered our home at 10:30 PM. I am so excited to share with you all but today is meant for bill paying and grocery shopping. Soon I'll be back in the groove. Thank you for all your comments and visits while we were gone to Tiki Kon. Cheers, Wendy

hang10tiki it was a blast. It was a perfect tiki festival.

GROG thank you for the link to the song that was linked to me throughout high school. I had guys saying let me see your stormy eyes! Benzart always writes to me as Windy. I do prefer Wendy although Karen would have been my choice for a name.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHpwzpaFI4g

ebtiki thanks Eric for clearing that up, our trip was one of the best in 35 years.

TikiAno your wall hanging for the swap turned out really well, good job.

WaikikianMoeKele Dan loved escaping the triple digits here for the cool winter weather on the Oregon Coast. I love your mothers saying. Dan's always hot and I'm always cold, we are an odd pair.

hang10tiki and he's sweet too.

GROG when is the next part of your heart story going to start?

tigertail777 I still have my purple felt mini shirt and vest with gold braid from that era. I could find a few scarves!

Now it is time for chores. I sure hope to be back to clay work tomorrow or Sunday. Thank you all for the fun notes you are the best, Wendy

Wendy, glad you guys made it home safe. Excited to hear about your great tiki treasure. Did you have to rent a trailer to bring it home?

MadDogMike thank you. I better get busy on the swap.

Tiki treasure from our trip.

Here's the treasure of our lifetime.
I spot a marquises tiki and run to see it. I saw the price was $500. Upon reading this we understood why it was so high. Even though it was 57 years or more old it was in perfect condition.

While we waited the store called Mr. Williams who was born in 1913 and had just had his 100th birthday. He consented to sell the tiki for $400 and Dan paid the store. We wished they would let us talk to him but they said no.

Mr. Elmo Williams has directed movies that we have all seen and loved.

Here are a few posters from his movies such as Tora Tora Tora, The Poseiden Adventour and 20,000 Leagues under the sea.

He is the man on the left with his wife. He did Zorba the Greek with Anthony Quinn.

Once home we took these photos.
The man.

One side.

The woman.

The other side.

Top of the head.

The carvers name on the bottom.

For now it is displayed in Dan's tiki jungle room.

We found two Kava men from Easter Island. The larger one is super heavy plastic, maybe bakalite? Have any of you seen this one before?

He has numbers on his back but nothing more.

We were in an antique shop when a woman entered and went to the desk to sell this woman. When she was finished we went to the desk and bought her from the owner of the shop. Nothing on the bottom so we can only guess the age, we think 1940's, what do you think?

As you can see we had a blast. We love Greg and Justin's Tiki Kon, the Oregon weather and all the tikis for sale. We missed half the shops we passed due to opening or closing times. We hope to hit those next year. I'll post more of our adventure tomorrow, cheers, Wendy

Cool! I am glad you guys had a fun trip! That is a nice lookin tiki. I am sure that made Dan's day to find it.

Alii Tiki wrote to me on the Tiki Finds page so I wanted to keep track of his information. Thank you Alii Tiki. Thomas Barnes also sent my photos and link to the family and I've asked to friend them on facebook. This is a very special find and we are so excited. Thank goodness for Tiki Central it rocks along with all who join in the fun.

Beautiful score Dan & Wendy !!!

I have some info for you about the carver see the links at the bottom of my post here:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=1099&forum=5&vpost=675774

The Kimitete family is renowned as carvers, I think based off the age of yours it was likely carved by Joseph Kimitete, look at the information in the top link in my post (Kai Ehitu History).

http://www.kaiehitu.org/#!history/c1dl5
http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2002/Oct/17/ln/ln24a.html
http://keolamagazine.com/flipview/mar-apr_2010/files/assets/basic-html/page34.html
http://media.westhawaiitoday.com/special-sections/KCF_110411/files/assets/seo/page21.html

Lunavideogames thank you are you going to be at Oasis? We just can't get enough tiki!

I've spent the day glazing and staying out of the double digit heat. Cheers, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2013-07-20 18:26 ]

I think the '40's Hula girl you found proves that the many "Nipples" votes over the past year haven't been because we are a bunch of puerile perverts stuck in arrested development, but rather purists hearkening for the preservation and perpetuation of a well loved tradition.....

yea that's it.

Love the first batch of vacation pictures...And I'm so glad "the wendy and dan show" will have part two very soon.

Wow
Great tiki, great story, great find.
Glad you got it

Jon

Wow...that 2 sided Tiki is gorgeous...great find...congrats Dan!!!

dartharnie a great statement. I'll have to keep the tradition going. Part two coming up.

hang10tiki like your head at Caliente. Terrific finds really make collecting over the top fun.

VampiressRN you too, we are looking forward to seeing your Witco world hung in your dining room.

PART II of our Kon Tiki Adventour and trip down the Oregon coast.

We traveled to Oregon visiting family. We stopped in Oakland, Oregon to go to a favorite shop that always has tikis. It was locked. While Dan got upset I tried to spot the tikis we would miss when I saw the owner. I banged on the glass window and she let us in. She remembered us from a prior visit. Dan found some really good wooden moai.

Here is her display. She also has shirts.

We made it to Portland in three days and checked into the Kon Tiki Hotel. The Marriot Red Lion on the River.

We went the next day to the 1600 booth Antique Expo. In all there were four booths that had a tiny amount of tikis. Dan found this lamp

and this tiki and it made it a good time. We walked for 2.5 hours to find these two.

Tiki Kon starts!

Maholo Tiki who had my work up front in their booth. It's good to have friends.

Car show.

CY in front of his incredible tiki art.

Mikey Tiki and his lady at the Bosko lecture.

Trader Vic's Portland with Gregory who with Jason ran the show. Good Job Guys!

Polynesian Patti and Moai Mike at the bar.

Brunch at the Alibi with Audrey, Dan

and Big Toe.

We toured the Munktiki Home and studio. We have a lot in common.

This is their personal collection of their works.

This is Paul with Dan. We love his and his son Miles work.

Hale Tiki

With a flash it was much lighter.

On the Road Home.

In Lincoln City, Oregon in 2001 Dan found a 2.5 foot tall Kava Kava man in this antique store. This time he found a small one for $18 while in the glass case there was a similar one for $85. He took home the cheaper one.

We found a cannibal fork but it didn't grab Dan so back in the glass case it went. I'm sad.

Then we went to another antique store and found a PNG mask that was so much like Dan he had to have it.

Outside of the Ripley's Belive it or Not building I ran into Bigfoot.

In the pamphlet I found this photo that shows where Aloha Joes got the inspiration for their mug and menu cover. MadDogMike made one for he swap years ago. Post a photo here MDM.

At the next gift store I found a PNG carving. All one piece of wood with two faces an alligator and a bird. $15 a steal.

On to a wild animal park with lots of baby's to pet. This is a bobcat.

Across from our hotel in Bandon, Oregon there was a super cool beach with lots of rocks.

We found one that looked like Dan. First the mask and now the rock. What's next?

We couldn't get into this park because no one showed up to open it. After 20 minutes we left.

We decided to take our tiki loot and head home. The last stop was where we found the tiki with a story that I posted above. We had a wonderful trip.

Next up will be Tiki Oasis 13. Cheers, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2013-07-21 10:35 ]

Awesome pics Wendy, thanks for posting! Must have been a thrill to see the Munktiki workshop!

Yes, I will be at Tiki Oasis! (I live right by the hotel :) ) It will be a good time and Emily and I hope to see you and Dan. Reminds me that I still need to get tickets, so I will do that right now...

Nice pictures. I also like the Munktiki studio picture. I notice that they have some cool colors of the Skull Monkey mug. I have him in yellow and I think he is the mug I drink from the most!

I am working until 5 today, but I am determined to get to the Tonga Hut tonight, so I am going to drive quickly to LA after work. Should be fun! I will try to take some pictures.

Wow
Awesome finds
U guys rock

Jon

Wendy, looks like you had a great time. Glad Dan got lots of loot as his collection was looking a bit thin in places :lol:

Here's a pic of that Aloha Jhoe's mug I did for the Menu Art Swap a few years back (with a drinking straw in his right "horn")

W

Looks like such fun! I'm thinking the t-rex may have eaten everyone at the park to let you in. Makes me miss the dinosaur that used to be near the Dixon exit, or Milk Farm rd. off 80!

T

Wendy, sounds like a great trip- welcome back! I hope you didn't have to rent too big a trailer to haul back all of those finds along the way! Congrats on a great tiki hunting trip!

Dan's posing took away all need for photoshopping (well, except for Jon's work)- thanks, Dan! :wink:

Jon, great job on "BigGrog," and Mike, love that (older) Art Swap piece!

BT

Looks like a really fun trip, thanks for taking us along :D

(I also noticed that giant lizard looks a bit like Dan too, something strange is going on here, you need to get his DNA checked, he may not be of this world)

WooHoo....Tiki-rrific Pics Wendy!!! SoccerTiki and I are planning to attend Tiki Kon next year. We can't wait!!!

Loved being able to join you on your travels via the pics.
Everyone looks like they are having such a wonderful time
(including the dino & sasquach!).
Glad you got back home safe with all your tiki treasures.
~kele

Wendy ... great bunch of photos ... You should write a book: "Tiki Travels With Dan" .... You are masters at tracking down tiki deals ..... Gene

zerostreet it was fun to see Munktiki. Their downstairs is all tiki and the upstairs is tiki free. We had many work spots in common. They are super nice people and we've missed them since they moved.

lunavideogames I hope there will be photos of Marketplace and Tonga hut to see. I'll check later today. Monkey mugs are fun in any color.

hang10tiki GROG hairy now that's different. He's cute either way.

MadDogMike thank you so much for posting to make my story complete. That is a great work of tiki art. We are looking forward to seeing you and Teresa at Oasis.

Woodtiki I remember Milk Farm. My parents went there ordered steaks and got ground grain. They never would go back so I missed visiting it and now it's gone. I never saw the dinosaur.

TikiAno we haven't found tikis like that in years. I am always amazed at all the tiki finds posted by Buzzy and Psycho Tiki D from California when we can't seem to find any here.

(Dan's posing took away all need for photoshopping (well, except for Jon's work)- thanks, Dan!) He got a kick out of this, he really laughed.

Badd Tiki I've always thought that about Dan. He's so quiet around friends but when its just him and I he's a nut. I love nuts.

WooHooWahine, oh you are going to have so much fun...with us. Dan has been imitating Soccer in lots of his photos. See you at Oasis. We are so lucky to have your Marketplace and so many great events to attend.

WaikikianMoeKele we have everyone here in mind when we take our photos. We love sharing and are so happy that everyone enjoys our travels.

Gene S Morgan I would really like to have this tread on a DVD. If Tiki Cental went away I would feel lost. We were very lucky to find these tikis and we are elated.

Thank you all for your messages, I really enjoyed reading them all.

The MadDogMike Swap is almost here so I jumped on it yesterday and glazed my swap art. It was not easy and I'll show you the steps here. Some worked and some did not.

First I hauled in all the glazes that I would need.

I sat and thought about how I would get the glaze in place.

First I used a funnel to get it past the woman.

I tipped the bowl to cover the sides. I couldn't get it to go on the backs of the arms and the rest of the body and that needed to be done.

While I thought about that I put glaze inside of the woman.

I painted the skin on the woman to see how much I could cover. Then I put a baggy over the bowl and secured it with a rubber band. I turned it upside down and ran it over her back and the backs of her arms.

Now I cleaned her up and added more glaze to her face and body.

All done with here now I started on the bowl.

I aged the bottom of the bowl by rubbing glaze on and then off.

Top view.

Front view. She's ready to boil in the kiln poor thing.

Cheers, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2013-07-23 09:44 ]

T

Wowzers. Wendy, looks awesome! Can't wait to see it/her come out of the kiln.

Yes, I've always wondered how Buzzy finds that stuff at swap meets here in SD- I must be going to the wrong ones... :)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 10816 replies