Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Wendy Cevola - New colors of the Frank mug by Frankoma now available.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 10,816 replies

LoriLovesTiki thank you so much, its just years of practice playing with clay. I've learned which tool to pick up to do each step. Water is the best tool of all.

cy all your new carvings are 10's. I love it when your creek brings you wood or you find an old piece in your garage and turn them into tiki treasures.

ZeroTiki you are!

TikiAno this is by far the best shaped tool for use with clay. Never buy the wooden handled version. I bought 10 and within a week I had broken them all. The metal version goes on for years. They come in two sizes and the smaller one is best for detail and carving words. The larger size I use for removing more clay. Don't forget to use water and paint brushes too. Thank you and you are welcome.

Benzart hi Ben, I sent you a long PM, I know it was past due and your post reminded me.

================================

A storm is rolling in with dark rain clouds and thunder. I guess I'll stay in and play with clay. The rain is pouring down now.

More on lunavideogames mugs.

I've added a small fish and later I'll add his tail fin.

The wedding couples names and wedding date has been added. Yep these are after the fact mugs.

Now I've started the Buffy and the Vampire mug. I started at the top and I'm working down. Risky.

Building the body and working carefully to not make any air pockets.

More hair and the start of her right arm.

Close up.

He's going to be a tiki so I'm just starting with a log.

These will drastically change as I progress. Especially her feet. I'm not sure what to do with them yet.

Thank you for the visit, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2013-09-21 13:00 ]

Love the step by steps
As always

Jon-Tiki
:)

Love your work on the Ween mug.
It's unusual but that is usual for you!
~kele

BT

Quite the Zipper Grog, Hope they used a YKK and not one of those cheapies :D
Good to see you are doing well.

@ Wendy, that new mug is looking great. I may have to steal your paintbrush technique, thnx for sharing :wink:

hang10tiki once in a while I forget to take photos but I do my best.

WaikikianMoeKele this project allowed Dan's rear to show up again and when it does I think of you giggling.

Badd Tiki you are so welcome. I use a variety of brushes to smooth my lines.

========================================================

I've choosen my glazes for Something's Fishy Bob.

I start with the darker color on his scales because if it gets on the face I can scrub it off.

Then after the body is done I do the three layers of white on the face and then 3 layers of black.

All done both sides.

I have an ongoing side project. I am working on an index for this thread so anyone can find something to view. Mainly I think knowing where I'm making a mold is of the most use. I'm at page 85 but of course I'll have to type all my notes when I finish writing them down. I should have started this sooner.

The rain here has left and we've had a morning walk. Since starting our new life style three weeks ago Dan has lost 7 pounds and I've lost 5. I hope to never find them again. Cheers, Wendy

I see Grog got a 2 for 1 deal

I almost missed the ring

Glad to see that 3 hours later Grog back to normal

T

Wendy, love that green glaze test tile, can't wait to see Fishy Bob fired.

Jon, funny stuff.

Here are those Munktiki Zombie Hand Bob mugs. I got #18. Sorry the background isn't very tiki, had to take the pics at work or I might not have ever done it :)

hang10tiki GROG terrific.

hang10tiki GROG and Eric October Special.

hang10tiki the ultimate GROG pinup!

TikiAno I agree.

lunavideogames I like your color choice and it is fun to see where you work.

===========================================================================

lunavideogames here's more on your Buffy mug. Let me know if anything about it bothers you.

Today I worked on the woman. I started with her nose and face shape.

More detail on her hand.

Added lips but no vampire teeth until they firm up.

I worked on the skirt and added a belly button.

I made the grass skirt longer.

I added detail to the band and made the skirt grass.

This needed to set overnight before I could do more or work on the male tiki. Would you like a flower in her hair? Wendy

We have a new baby in the family. Born today by my great-niece. His name is Jagger. I hope he's a dancer.

=========================================================================================================
It rained here on Saturday so I thought I'd take a photo of our newest Smonkin' Tiki in Marquesas' style.

I call this mug June Bob because I carved him last June. Here he is glazed and waiting for the next step.

This one I call Worry Bob because his brow is so wrinkled.

Until we meet again, cheers, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2013-09-24 23:41 ]

Congrads on the new family member

I have the same Smokin Tikis outdoor dude from Jason
They are awesome

Love the new Bobs

Jon

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2013-09-24 21:56 ]

Congrats on the new family member! With a name like that I am sure he will have the moves.

Mugs are lookin good! Nice looking tiki too.

The Ween mug looks fantastic Wendy and the Buffy mug is sure to be a hit.
Congrats on the great-great nephew. Someday he'll discover "Moves Like Jagger" by Maroon 5 and you can explain the lyrics to him ('cuz I sure can't :lol: )
"Take me by the tongue
And I'll know you
Kiss me 'til you're drunk
And I'll show you
All the moves like Jagger"

Congrats on the cute little great great nephew person!
My youngest grandson is now 10 months old & walking to beat the band!
Lovin' the June & Worry Bobs.
~kele

hang10tiki thank you, we will see him in a few days. I like having concrete tikis in the yard. Bob's glad you like him's.

lunavideogames I sure hope so I love that song. More on your mug soon.

MadDogMike thank you for the comments and the lyrics. I never could figure out the words, I like the beat and voice.

WaikikianMoeKele first baby in 13 years for our family. It's so much fun to sit back and watch them grow, I'm glad you have one too.
I have one more Bob coming up soon,

==========================================

We had company today. Another tiki collector so we cleaned up our tiki messes and Dan had fun taking her around.
Meet Joanne from Southern California.

I'll post tiki art photos tomorrow. Thank you for checking in, Wendy

): no one to write a note to so I'll just get busy and put up some photos of lunavideogames second wedding mug based on 2 vampires from the Buffy TV show.

Last set of photos showed how I used a big tool to carve the grass in the skirt. Now that it has dried some I've used a steel wire brush to add smaller indentations.

I also added a flower to her head.

Close up. Later when the clay is firmer it can be carved to make the petals thinner.

Next I located a moai in Dan's collection to use as a reference for the man.

Working on the nose, forehead and mouth.

I stopped here to wait for comments and instructions from Treg.

(: Wendy

T

Wow, looking great! Love the detailing in the grass skirt I'm always afraid that any of my detail will get covered up by too heavy a glaze application (besides, your details is far superior to mine)- can't wait to see this one progress. Love the Moai man, too. I can't wait for Lunavideogames to order a wedding mug for me- it's slightly belated but I will relish the gift. :)

Your step by steps amaze me. When I see how you start doing something & I can't see how it's going to end up the way it's supposed to, but you know what needs to be done so that it will turn out perfectly. You are SOOOOO talented!
~kele

TikiAno an IN glaze by Duncan will show up even the slightest scratch on your pottery. So go for detail and have some more fun. This is my third set of wedding/engagement mugs. When he is ready Hale Tiki will share his part of the story that happened at the Hukilau.

WaikikianMoeKele and I soooooooo love your message, thank you.

hang10tiki one of our favorites so far although its hard to beat GROG's chest hair and zippered tongue.

=======================================================================================================

We just checked the weather and we need to beat a monster storm that is on its way to Washington, Oregon and California so we are leaving now. But first here's the update on lunavideogames Buffy mug.

After discussion I will be trimming down the nose when we get back and I'll be adding the ear I forgot.

These are both vampires but only he is ready to bite! I'll be trimming down the teeth too. Clay is hard to work with so at times you make it big to start and trim when it is firm.

The guy has wavy hair and therefore so does the Moai.

The grass skirt is so thick you can't peek through.

I've added lava rock texture to the Moai.

So that's it for the weekend. I have more to post when we return. Thank you always for the visits, they mean everything to me. Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2013-09-27 10:50 ]

Love the grass skirt
Kool look to it

hang10tiki thank you. I think the Moai's nose grew before I took those photos. He needs a lot of work yet. ====================

We made it to Oregon ahead of the storm. We will hunt tikis all day as a reward for Dan coming to see my family.
Tomorrow I get to hold that baby who will be five days old by then.

It is going to rain the whole time we are here and it will follow us back home.

Cheers, Wendy

Medford will get one inch of rain today. So we'll spend it at my sister's and hopefully get to hold the new baby boy.
We searched every antique store in Medford and Talent yesterday and found one shell lei and a hula girl cup in brown. Medford is now a tiki free zone. I hope you are having a good time with friends or family. Cheers, Wendy

Hope u had fun Hunting

Waiting to hear more about the baby boy
& if you two floated home. lol
~kele

Hi Friends, it was a beautiful baby that we held and a rain free drive home. One of my sister's rentals had a tree crash down ruining her fence and hitting a car. We had no mishaps and are home safe. Now we'll rest up and begin again tomorrow. A new month starts. I have some photos saved up to show and I'll start posting tomorrow. Thank you all for the visits, Wendy

Yea woman! enough dilly dally, back to being a slave to art! :)

Atomic Tiki Punk I will work until my wrinkles have wrinkles.

This is the last of the Tiki Bob's to be glazed. I have fun doing PNG Bob's and here's another one.

I've started with a dark brown and I did three thick layers.

After it dried I scrapped off all that I could from the flat surfaces leaving it in the grooves.

Next I choose a Courtyard glaze which always looks old.

I covered the whole mug again with three layers.

After it dried I scraped it off of the face.

Then I used Concepts which is an underglaze (this means it shouldn't move or run) and painted the face parts white and the eyes and mouth black.

Now I have them all ready to fire.

Now it is time to start on the MadDogMike Christmas Album inspired Swap art.

A while back I had poured a big mug and then never got back to make it into something. Now MadDogMike posts this album cover and I knew that the mug shape was perfect for this project.

This is the album.

This is the completely dried out mug.

To make it easier to carve and to prevent a lot of dust I stuck it in a bucket of water.

I carved the information on the bottom and then cut out the woman from a printed photo of the cover.

I held her in place while I used a wooden pick to carve the outline.

Even a tiny point can remove a good amount of clay.

Now I used a razor blade to cut out the paper on the inside of the arms.

I didn't do a great job because one bracelet was so white and that part got cut out too.

I was careful and drew the correct outline while holding the photo in place again. So now I have the first part done.

======================================================================================================================

It's great to be back. I need to unload my camera and also to post these photos again on the swap thread. Sorry, instant replay in the works.

Cheers, Wendy

Good Morning.

It's time to reveal what these mugs look like once they have been fired.

Something's Fishy Bob, June Bob, Worry Bob, Bamboo Bob and Intoxicated Bob.

Tiki Rum Bob.

PNG Eyed Bob

Time to get back to work as always, Wendy

That's a great 5 pack of Bobs

T

I dig that song "5 Guys named Bob." The PNG and Rum Bob are my faves of this set, Wendy! (well, okay, the other Bobs look great, too).

Love the step by step Swap Mug photos- I have to get started on mine!

[ Edited by: TikiAno 2013-10-02 09:17 ]

BT

Oh you got to go to Oregon, I'm jealous. Lived in Ashland for awhile, want to go back and visit :D

Mugs are looking great as usual.

Another bevy of beautiful Bobs from wonderful Wendy!

I'm really drawn to the PNG eyed Bob. He'd fit right in at Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room.
~kele

All of those turned out great Wendy. I think my favs are Fishy, Rum, & PNG

Those are some cool Bobs! I also like PNG Bob a lot but I can't believe how well Bamboo Bob turned out either. The colors are amazing! Awesome work.

hang10tiki they just come out of nowhere.

TikiAno I love your new coasters.

Badd Tiki Oregon is special. We had lots of time alone on the freeways.

WaikikianMoeKele I was happy all the messing with glazes worked out.

MadDogMike I sure do like your pirate ship coins.

lunavideogames glazes are fun and scary.

================================================================================================================

I thank each of you for your positive comments about this batch of Bob's. Most will not make it out of the house because Dan works for Tikis. You all keep this fun for Dan and I.

================================================================================================================

I'm going to take time here to post the highlight photos of our trip to Oregon to see the new baby in our family. He is my great-great-nephew Jagger.

I am always fascinated by this extinct volcano that is near Mount Shasta.

Next door to our hotel there was an antique sale. There wasn't a single tiki but plenty of dogs that we got to pet.

Five days old and beautiful.

We made it to every antique shop and mall in Medford and Talent and this is all we found. The plastic tiki will be a gift for a friends grandson. The mug is a new addition for Dan's collection. The necklace was a real work of art.

We had a perfect trip with a fun visit with family.

===================================================================================

lunavideogames second mug has been a challenge. Trying to make it resemble the vampire from Buffy's show hasn't worked really well. There are some more steps to be added today to pull it together but here's how it is today.

Treg is having this mug made for a woman so it was best to add a top. Here I've added straps.

It works best to make things like flowers thick and once they have firmed up to go back and to carve them thinner.

The face was still too human and needed adjustments. Every time Dan brings me moai's to look at I change the nose or chin. This tiki has had major surgery.

I lengthened the chin and added an ear.

Today I will make his forehead larger.

Friends.

I keep the mug wrapped in plastic so that it will not dry up and I can keep changing it until it is done.

I look forward to your comments and visit, Wendy

Hi Wendy,

I've been busy since school started and haven't had time to post but I've been trying to keep up.

I love LOVE the purplish color on the Worry Bob but don't understand the name. Is he spoken for?

The woman and the Moai are looking great!!!

All the Bob's are great! Really like the mottled purple one, and the bamboo leaves one.

The Moai and hula girl is really cool!

So you were caught in the Oregon "hurricane" too? Our electricity constantly threatened to go out, and we had several shingles ripped off the roof. Now we have the cold weather.... Oregon... wait 20 minutes for the weather to drastically change. :wink:

LoriLovesTiki I don't yet know about the Worry Bob. Otto asked for photos because he is interested in it. If he passes I'll let you know. I made all the wrinkles and that's why I called him Worry Bob. That's one of my favorite glazes.

Your is the first thumbs up on the female hula woman with the Vampire Moai. I was getting worried. But I'm now working on it to look more like the guy on Buffy and the vampire.

tigertail777 I just figured out that tigertail and tigertail777 are not both you. Thank you on the glazing you mentioned. The leaves were not as perfect as I'd hoped but I learned a lot. Wow a second thumbs up on the Buffy mug. Now I'm really relieved.

The hurricane was so sudden. It just whipped through and was gone.

================================================================================================

lunavideogames Buffy and the Vampire mug sculpt is a very long project but I'm getting closer. I let the Moai rest while I concentrated on the back of the mug. Treg and I decided that bats would be a good addition.

I found some glow in the dark bats in Oregon and I brought them home as a model.

I outlined one on the clay.

Then I filled in the outline with soft sticky clay.

One filled in.

Different view.

Then I started on a second bat with it's legs retracted.

Filled in.

So the top bat

and the lower bat are left to dry overnight so that I can carve them.

===================================================================

MadDogMikes December Swap

Using a wooden stick with a point I was able to press hard enough on the photo to make an outline on the clay.

That's it for now, cheers and happy weekend, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2013-10-04 17:32 ]

It's back to work for the MadDogMike December Album Swap.

I finished the outline by making the cuts deeper.

Next I just continued to carve to make the girl and skull more 3D.

==================================================================

lunavideogames requested that the Moai look like the vampire in the photo with wavy hair and a high forehead.

This is where I'd left off.

I built up the forehead and the hair.

I've started doing a flower design on her top.

I still need to go back and add a rocky texture to his face.

Close up.

The bats come nice and close to the Vampire Moai.

I've never watched the Buffy show so I don't know if these two are in love or not.

=================================================================================

Today is the Aloha Festival and we are going to attend. Mahalo Tiki will be there so we'll see our friends for the second time this week.
We went to his store this week to see all the tiki art. He has lots to sell and is representing many artists such at zerostreet.

I hope you have a wonderful Saturday, Wendy

Those bats are awesome
Love the update on the mugs

WOWOWOWOWOW....I'm going batty watching your transformations of characters to mug sculptures.

hang10tiki I tried to keep the bats from looking too creepy since the mug is for a girl.

VampiressRN thank you and hang10. I just don't have enough time to do all the projects on my mind but I'm doing my best.

==============================================

The Sacramento crawl is this Fri. Sat. Sun. and we are going to have a blast. Vamp has set up the schedule and it's perfect. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone.

==============================================

Dan and I had lots of fun this weekend. Yesterday we went to the Aloha Festival.
First we visited with Mary and Nelson at their Mahalo Tiki booth. They have on-line sales and a store in Sacramento.

We ran into CD Tiki his wife Diane and Deb.

This cast in metal Golden Bear has been at the California State Fair since I was a child. Every year I got to sit on it but there was never a photo taken. Now I have one because the location for the festival is on the fairgrounds.

We found these three books. The Tattoo book is the best I've seen with every page a big photo. I'm going to use it for designs on my mugs.

======================================================

Today we went to an antique sale on the streets of Lodi California.

Dan found the tiki in his hands and a turntable from the 80's that plays just fine and only cost $10.

Lunavideogames project.

It was time to get out the big grain sandpaper and to finish his face in stone.

Now he's all stone. The Ween mug is almost dry but this other one has to dry super slowly too.

MadDogMike's swap mug based on an album cover project is going forward.

I put the printout of the album cover back in place. Then I used a wooden spike to press on the photo and to make a dent on the mug.

There's what I was tracing.

Shows up better here.

This is the tool I used.

Next I started to carve more detail such as this ship.

That's it for today. I better get to work so I have more to share tomorrow. Cheers, Wendy

"I've never watched the Buffy show so I don't know if these two are in love or not"

I hope they are in love, he is fondling her boob!!! :o :lol:

Looking great Wendy :D

Looks like u guys had fun

Looking very cool! Keep up the great work!
Seems like you and Dan had a bunch of fun. Very cool, I am jealous.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 10816 replies