Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Wendy Cevola - The repaired mug goes to La Mariana on Oahu

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 10,811 replies

WaikikianMoeKele I always wanted to be a doctor so thank you.

hang10tiki how about calling me to the Honu Hideaway?

TikiTacky that's one of my favorite new glazes. A lichen is an algae and a fungus living in a symbiotic relationship which means that they not only like each other they are mutually beneficial to each other...just like Dan and I. One of my tour guide lines at Yellowstone National Park in the 1970's.

==============================================================

Good Morning. I'm still glazing away so that I'll fire with a full load.

Many projects, some have been glazed and some are in the works.

Here's Dan's Bastard Bob.
He requests that the black looks as much like the original as possible. So I've chosen Pottery Coat by Mayco.

Three layers of Black and white. Simple.

I let this dry, then I refilled both sides again and let it dry overnight.

Upside down is always important or areas get missed.

Now he waits.

==========================================================

When we visited kingstiedye he had put aside two lamps that Dan has longed for. In his new home he didn't have a place for them so Dan was able to purchase them at long last. The Tiki Tony lamp had the base split in two from when the tiki was screwed on. So here are the steps I took to repair it.

First I glued these two halves together with wood glue by Elmer's. I used wide tape to keep the halves together as it dried overnight.

The next day I filled in the cracks with Elmer's wood filler on the top

and on the bottom.

I did this again since wood filler shrinks as it dries.

I had Dan sand it one both sides and then I found matching paint and I began with the bottom.

I did not paint over the
autographed for Bullet/kingstiedye on the bottom.

I mixed four colors together to come up with one that was similar to the Tiki Tony's color and I painted the top.

After this was all dry I sprayed on a matt finish to protect the acrylic paint.

All done Dan found a perfect place for it in the jungle room.

One more view.

Now it's time to turn off the lights. Cheers, Wendy

Awesome lamp...
Bob looking good
Wow u sure are busy

C u soon :)

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2013-11-05 10:51 ]

Lookin' good, Wendy - as always!

You are DEFINITELY Dr Wendy!
You rehabilitate clay, wood & especially anything tiki.
Go, Wendy, go!
~kele

hang10tiki we get to show Bullet/kingstiedye/Brook the lamp on Friday. He and his wife are coming for a visit.

LoriLovesTiki good to hear from you.

WaikikianMoeKele its really fun to save something even when its not alive.

==========================================================================

The other day I bought a small pillow. It needed a pillow case. In a drawer I had a small piece of fabric that I bought years ago. The two fit perfectly together.

So easy. I sewed the cloth into a bag shape.

Then I hemmed the end.

All done except for going through the wash.

==============================================================

New volcano with two tiny tikis.

I picked the volcano's color.

Three layers.

I picked the tikis colors in Concepts underglazes so they wouldn't run.

Close up.

Nest I ran some red lava down the sides

and in the top pot where a flaming sugar cube or dry ice can go.

Now it's waiting for it's time in the kiln.

It's fun to be on the final steps of these projects. Cheers, Wendy

That pillow won the lottery, getting that pretty case.

Love the volcano with tiny tikis painted.
I didn't realize that the smaller tiki's tongue
was sticking out until it was painted. :P

~kele

T

Volcano is erupting with coolness. Can't wait to see it all fired. Great repair job on the TIki Tony lamp- I've never seen those, cool!

Can't wait to see that volcano fired!!!

This isn't just the happiest thread on TC, it's educational, too.

Awesome

WaikikianMoeKele thank you so much for posting. I love reading these messages. It was fun making more tiny tikis. I think LoriLovesTiki got me started on that with her tiny Bob.

TikiAno it is really fun having so many tiki artists making cool items. Tiki Tony's lamp is the only one we have seen. I hope there are more out there.

LoriLovesTiki me too.

Professor G I was just looking at photos of you cooking on your facebook page. I could really enjoy your cooking!

hang10tiki you too!

=======================================================

Hi Friends, I had the best excuse for missing yesterday. Tiki Hula came over and fixed all the glitches on my computer. I learned so much from him so fast that I was beaming from ear to ear. All of you who know computers well are going to enjoy life so much. I'm lucky to have him nearby. We had fun and when we were done Dan drug him back into the jungle room.

On Wednesday we went to MAHALO TIKI's to see my art hung. We were also able to see some of Roge's chunk lamps for sale.
If you come to the Sacramento area this is our only tiki store and a must to visit.

Here's some of my scrap art up near the ceiling.

Roge's chuck lamps. I think I'll go add these to Marketplace.

I just missed Mary's smile.

===============================================================

This is the Sacramento Crawl mug converted to a Ween mug as a wedding gift from lunavideogames to Nate and Keri.

I started with the insides of the mugs. I'm also working on his second mug.

I started the outside with the mug upside down. Glaze layer 1.

Fist layer done.

Glaze layer two.

Layer three started.

Now that the three layers of brown glaze are done I scrapped some off of the raised Ween face.

After scraping I used a wet paper towel to take off the rest of the brown glaze.

Next I did the same on the back exposing the bisque of the fish and mollusk.

Next I glazed both of them 3 times each.

lunavideogames wanted the Ween face to be outlined in red so that's what I'm painting on here.

All done.

I suggested that we put the fish in water. To make that blend in I used this glaze that had brown spots as if the water has floating seaweed.

All done and ready to fire.

My projects are stacking up for the kiln. It won't be lone now.

Thank you all for the visit, I appreciate them, Wendy

Looking cool! Mahalo Tikis shop is coming along nicely. I will have to make it up there sometime soon.

C

I'm liking this one a lot!

[ Edited by: Clarita 2013-11-08 11:14 ]

Fire up the kiln! Fire up the kiln!!!!!

Not that I'm impatient or anything......

T

I had a great time with you two - two of the happiest people I know :) Glad I could help with computer stuff and mahalo again for dinner, the tiki mug, your tiki room glass, and the volcano and bowl! WOW I am thrilled! I will shoot the firefall thing we talked about this weekend and post photos here.

I was most impressed with the row of ten (?) Sacramento Crawl mugs that you did - each in a different speckled glaze. Seeing all of them together was truely a magnificent thing of beauty! I'm bringing my camera next time and getting some good shots of that group.

Can't wait to see these post kiln color

Glad to see that you're back. I was worried cuz a day without Wendy is a day without sunshine.

I'm really liking the Ween mug. Especially the back & loving the water.
And of course, then there's the cute little tushie! :D

~kele

lunavideogames glad you like it, afterall it is your design, I'm so happy I could pull it off. Tiki is hot in our area so do come visit.

Clarita cool, pat on the back for lunavideogames.

LoriLovesTiki soon, I promise it will be soon.

TikiHula I'm thrilled with how well my computer is now functioning. You are my guardian angel. I'm looking forward to the photos too. I better show off Dan's 9 mugs.

hang10tiki every step is scary work. Will it survive the fire. 7 days and counting down.

=======================================================================================

Last night we had a fun visit with kingstiedye/Bullet/Brook and his wife Sandy. Both of my photos turned out so
well I had to post them both. Come back soon you two.

=======================================================================================

lunavideogames also commissioned a mug for the new bride. She likes Buffy and the vampire slayers and he picked her two favorite characters. One he turned into a vampire hula girl and the other a vampire Moai. I added the bats on the back.

First off I glazed them in dark purple.

First I did all of the outside of the main body of the mug in purple with spots. I added the same to parts of her outfit and flower.

The Moai has blond hair like the man and brown hair for the woman has been added.

Rock color to the Moai and similar to the rocks they both stand on.

Looking this way

and that way.

Three layers of pale skin tone and a few decorations on the belt.

Straw color on the skirt

and the mug is done and set aside until firing.

lunavideogames gave me a challenge and once it's fired we'll know if I was able to do it.

==========================================================================================

I had a Forbidden Island Tiki Crate statue hanging around that didn't look great because of the yellow color, which by the way didn't highlight the writing.

So here we go again. Glazing on top of glaze. It already looks better.

It's Saturday night party time. Dan and I plan to watch a movie and to relax until we work again.
I hope your night is as fun. Cheers, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2013-11-09 16:06 ]

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2013-11-09 16:33 ]

Lots going on over there in Cevola land

:)

hang10tiki you could be a moai because you are one of my rocks. I really appreciate all of you who write here often because it keeps me going.

===================================

Lets see, I start my day without makeup and without doing my hair. There's only so much time and I've got tikis to make!

Well actually I was cleaning our closets and found this "hat" that I bought when I was 10 years old. I'm finally letting go of stuff...but not my 50 year old hat!

===================================

I've finally gotten to the Tiki Bob Sacramento necklaces.

The first step was to paint all the backs black.

Next I made sure that the black glaze was inside the holes but not filling them.

Once they were all done I let them dry overnight.

The next day I painted all of the faces white with Concepts which will have a gloss even though it is an under-glaze.

All done these were left to dry overnight.

On the third day I used Concepts under-glaze to do the eyes and mouths.

I already owe hang10tiki one in this color as well as one for Loki Tiki. Or will this be green after it fires?

Cheers everyone, Wendy

them fangs are great

Holler Waller

Hey Kentucky it's always good to hear from you. I still have relatives in Murray.

==================================================================================

Another couple of days painting Tiki Bob necklaces. Some glazes were used on two because they hang differently. Either straight down or with Bob lying on his back.

All done with the pairs. I put them in the sun to dry.

Close up.

Now I started on the single colored necklaces.

All done and now they also went in the back yard to dry.

I think I have finished glazing all of my projects. Soon I'll be loading the kiln and firing all these tikis.

Cheers of happiness, Wendy

Love the "Hair" :)
All the Bobs look Kool

C u soon

Jon

Haha. For a sec I thought, "boy, her hair sure does look different first thing in the morning..." :)

Even those pendants look like quite a bit of work, but it looks like the glazes are going to be fantastic!

Love the floral fantasy glaze test piece. Can't wait to see the bob necklaces glazed.

I think I said that already! Fire the kiln! Fire the kiln!

I'm waiting impatiently!!!!

I love seeing stuff after its been glazed fired. Like Christmas morning.

Fun "hair"! lol

I love seeing the rainbow of Bobs lying out in the sun the dry.
How can anyone choose just one?

~kele

I love to start my day by opening my mail here.

hang10tiki I felt so mature in that "hat". Bob just keeps on popping up.

TikiHula more work than I could have guessed. I'll be sharing more steps.

LoriLovesTiki some of the glazes were used for the first time. I heard you and I did as you asked!

WaikikianMoeKele when I was ten I wanted that hat in black but they sold our and all I could get was gray.

==========================================================================================================

Loading the kiln.

Top shelf.

Close up.

Bottom shelf close up of lunavideogames Buffy vampire mug.

Whole bottom shelf.

Different view.

Surprise, I've fired the load.

Top shelf with so many Tiki Bobs.

Close up of the hula girl, she will have enamel paint added to finish her off.

Bob's close ups.

I was very careful loading these but I still made two Bob's touch.

Attached is not a good thing.

I snapped them apart.

Loading them to go into the house.

My best friend Norma did all these fun and pretty mugs.

Bottom shelf soon to be unloaded.

Lori I was inspired to the kiln faster by you.

I hope you all like the photos so far.

Cheers, Wendy

T

Wendy, look forward to seeing the crate mug/ statue re-fired, as well as the others. The rainbow of Bobs look killer, too!

Awesome colors...................

On 2013-11-12 15:40, hang10tiki wrote:
Awesome colors...................

What he said!
~kele

T

For helping Wendy with her computer work, she generously gifted me one of her awesome bowls and a very large and cool volcano insert. Here's photos of it in use. I tried 151 first but the flame is too small and transparent blue to look very impressive. So 91% rubbing alcohol is just the thing for a big effect :) Mahalo Dan and Wendy!

I can't stand the suspense of the kiln opening so I wait for a few posts down the road from the last one I read. The Bob pendents are beautiful. Tell Noma her mugs are very pretty too, I especially like the fishy one. Really dig how the Buffy Vampire mug is turning out. :)

TikiHula- great photos, I wonder if that's what it looks like inside Wendy's kiln

I was just organizing the photos to share and I erased every one since my other computer broke down plus all those from the summer. I'm trying to get them back from the backup and it's really hard to do. It looks like I need Tiki Hula here STAT!

Wendy

TikiAno as soon as I can find the photos!

hang10tiki I'm happy with them too.

WaikikianMoeKele Tiki Bob and I thank you.

TikiHula Wow, earth must have started out like this. Does this kind of buring leave a residue? When can you come over and save my data? I'm going to unplug the back up so it doesn't erase what it has saved to far.

tigertail777 it's hard for me to wait to post and now I have this horrible problem.

hang10tiki I hope not.

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2013-11-13 11:02 ]

Ack! I hope someone can help you get your photos restored. Did you have a backup?

Thank you Tacky Tiki. I think your push for me to get drop box is going to save the day.

When my first computer broke and I had to turn it in for a month long repair, I still don't have it, I decided to not erase any of my photos from my two cameras. That way when the computer came back I could load them and have both computers up to date.

So today I spent 4 hours organizing all the photos up until today that were in the cameras. I really don't want to do it again. So if drop box works I'll drag and drop all these files and then pull them into place on the other computer. Then I'll grab all the parts that I lost and drop them and pull them onto this computer and then I'm all set.

I do have the backup hard drives on both but it asked me for file names and could I remember them close enough to find them, NO. I'll need a lesson from Tiki Hula. Anyway I like how I organized each file today better so the end result made me a happy camper.

So on to the show!

===============================================================================

I liked this shirt and the man let me photograph it to use on a mug in the future.

Dan likes to call me Goofy, maybe he's right.

===============================================================================

Marone Tiki/Monty set up a Tiki Tuesday at the Mandarin Restaurant. It's fun there because they serve drinks in Libby mugs. The guys said they taste better that way. THis is Dr. Tiki Mojo and Aloha Ha Ha/Lloyd.

Me/Wendy/danlovestikis and Eva. She and Dr. Tiki Mojo just moved to my town. Oh Yeah that's fun.

Marone Tiki/Monty and wendylovestikis/Dan

Rugby Matt/Matt who got his #2 of 50 Sacramento Crawl mug.

Tiki Hula/Mike/Computer Tech who will save me soon.

We had a great time and plan to go on December 10th to the same building as the Zombie Hut in the Lanai Shopping center.

======================================================================

Today I'll start by finishing off lunavideogames two mugs from out of the kiln to completion. As if I'd not been here all day already!

This is what the mugs look like out of the kiln. The Ween mug is finished the Buffy Vampire with Moai is not.

I used Liquitex Glossies to add detail to the Moai's rock and face and to most of the Hula Vampire girl.

Close up.

Setting the enamel in the home oven.

Black Velvet Gallery photos.

I'm going to rest now and I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you for the visit. Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2013-11-13 16:22 ]

They are lookin good Wendy! Thanks so much for making those for me.

Wendy--that picture of you in your hat is amazing--and those lucite & abalone seahorses are INCREDIBLE! My mother collected similar pieces and luckily, I still have a few. Love the hula girl in the kiln worshipping all those fired-up technicolor Bobs!

Don't want anyone to pull a neck muscle

I think all your photos need to have the Wendy touch

lunavideogames I hope your friends will send us some photos soon. I'm looking forward to your posting them. You are very welcome.

mondo-by-the-bay the entire bathroom has these as wall"paper". I like them too but we didn't have them when I was a kid.

hang10tiki I sure wish this problem would go away. Two computers now and no change. My old computer with Windows XP was fine. Window 8 just doesn't work for tall photos. Thank you for the fix.

hang10tiki I would love to go to a party like that. It would be very flattering. Maybe one day. I've saved the photos in my Photoshop file so that I won't lose track of them. Thank you so much, that was fun.

===================================================================================

Even the making of the Tiki Bob necklaces has a lot of steps.

Out of the kiln they are carried to the garage.

Dan puts on his mask and dremmels down all the sharp spots on the back from the spikes that held them as they fired.

I noticed that the glaze didn't retain a sharp edge and blended with the white so

I took them all upstairs to paint them with Liquitex Glossies.

I pour it in and then

move the paint around until the entire area is covered with a thick layer.

A few hours later they are all done and drying.

The instructions say wait 24 hours then bake in the oven. I should have waited more days.

Horrors, the paint was not dry and it boiled.

So now 2/3rds of the necklaces need to be sanded and painted again.

I hope to get to that project today.

====================================================================

Now it was time to finish off the Hula Woman.

When she came out of the kiln she had 2 small specks of black on one knee. Sometimes the glazes with crystals can spit. It hit her knee. So I turned them into a few flower tattoos.

Next I started on her face.

Then I aged her skirt.

All done she dried overnight and then baked in the house oven.

Now for her black velvet photo shoot.

It didn't take long for my "will work for tikis" husband to run off with her.

This bowl I made a while back and it disappeared into the tiki jungle room too.

====================================================================

That's it for today. I'm off to the garage to keep on playing with clay.

Check out Tiki Toni's thread. She lives near me and soon she'll be here for a visit.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=46443&forum=18&8

Cheers, Wendy

PS hang10tiki you get a hug for all the fun you bring to this thread

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2013-11-14 09:12 ]

Amazing work as always. I love to read about the Wendy and Dan tiki factory.

Thanks fo da hug :)
Sorry about the Bob necklaces, all the different colors look GREAT!!!
Dan-O has quite the Wahine shelf...
Looking forward to seeing "The Dan-0 and Wendy show" in person, soon...

Jon

tikilongbeach thank you very much.

hang10tiki oh no the grey hair is back. At least you couldn't see my chest! We'll see yours soon.

===================================================================================================

I am so tired. I opened molds and worked clay today.

The Tiki Crate Statue was ugly in yellow and the words couldn't be read.

So I glazed it again.

Now it looks like this.

I can make these in the mug version when I open the next Wish List.

======================================================================
I started with a mug that had the glaze popping off.

I covered it with a silver sparkle and it worked.

Then I covered a brown crawl mug and made it sparkle too.

A while back I made this set but Dan stole the volcano for another bowl.

So then I made a new volcano for the bowl and Dan wanted it but I said only if you give the other one back to me.

So he did and the little tiki volcano went on a shelf and Tiki Hula got the set for helping me with my computer.

Did you see the flaming photos he made?

=======================================================================

Dan's Bastard Bob is done. The glaze came out the same as the vintage Suffering Bastard mugs so Dan's super happy.

In the morning we are saying goodbye to our cat and house sitter and heading to Las Vegas. We will be visiting
hang10tiki and his wife and also Frankie's with our good friends Frank and Sherry. I wonder if he'll buy a mug?

I hope you'll all post photos that keep the thread alive while we are gone.

Soon I'll be opening the next Wish List so think of some hard projects for me. Check out my Gallery page 1 and 9 for inspiration. No worries if no one orders from me I'll make my own projects for Mahalo Tiki to sell at his shop. So no matter what I'll keep busy and post on this thread.

Page One.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=35609&forum=21&start=0&149

Page Two.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=35609&forum=21&start=120&149

Wishing you all a fun time while we go tiki hunting in hang10tiki's back yard. Cheers, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2013-11-15 18:15 ]

Have a great time in Vegas Wendy and Dan! I hope you have time to go to Frankie's. I am sure it'll be tons of fun.

Great page of finished projects
Drive safe and see you soon.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 10811 replies