Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Wendy Cevola - New colors of the Frank mug by Frankoma now available.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 10,816 replies

Aloha Wendy,
You rock my world!
It was such a pleasure meeting you at Don the Beachcombers last Saturday.

Sorry I thought I got a photo with you, but I think that was YOUR camera! So, here's me with Crazy Al (...and my new gold tooth!)
You are a sheer delight in person! (ah... & on line too, I mean, of course, just this was the first time I got to meet you face to face!)
Anyways...
Big ALOHA from da' Big Island!
Brad Tiki-Shark Parker

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2013-12-11 19:36 ]

Tiki Shark Art thank you so much for the compliments. It was really fun to meet you and to see the excitement your visit generated at Marketplace. Please say hi to Konacat for us. We enjoyed a day with him years ago. Now as little lost tiki said, "get back to painting". We are all waiting for the next step.

================================================================================

MaukaHale Dan's written you a nice long letter that should go into the mail tomorrow along with some garage band music. Keep an eye out for it. He loved the music you sent, thank you so much.

hang10tiki not only that but he parks well too.

What a great community we have with our love of tiki. I smile all day long because of the people I've met at all these wonderful events.

================================================================================

When Dan retired from work one of his gifts was a Tommy Bahama shirt. He tore a hole at the top of the pocket.
I liked this shirt so I repaired it today. I first found a piece of matching cloth. I ran a matching color of
thread back and forth from the inside

and the outside

until it was good enough that he'll still be able to wear it and the hole won't get bigger.

==================================================================================

Back to the clay.

Bob's, bowls, War Gods and a torch. Not bad for a pouring day. I cleaned all the mold lines off of them.

This bowl will be for one of the cannibal bowls for the Wish List. I've poured a few so that a choice can be made. With the top edge or

without it.

The bowl can be cut at any height. Something to think about.

The bags are working well at holding in the water. If only I'd found them sooner.

Four torches.

Many other tikis.

This is all part of the set up for Wish List #4. I'm looking forward to getting started with the custom work. There just are not enough hours in each day.

Thank you all for the visit. Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2013-12-12 08:04 ]

Wendy's Tiki

Dan had a great haul! That Cook Island tiki is my favorite piece. I could wrap him in a blaket and bring on the plane as my "baby!"

hang10tiki you sure know how to find the right image for my activities. I'm always repairing things for Dan. See below.

LoriLovesTiki Dan feels that the tikis are his babies and I'm their doctor. See Below.

Dan bought a reduced price Tiki Roots Rocka mug. It had an air bubble blow off part of its base. I built a new one but I wasn't able to match the paint perfectly. Close enough for Dan. Now the mug was stable on the shelf for display.

You can save mugs for display with Elmer's wood putty. Build it up and let it dry, sand it. Repeat. Let it dry overnight.

The next day you can carve the detail into the hard putty.

Mixed the paint as close as I could to the glaze

and covered the putty and let it dry.

============================================================
The next mug had a large chunk broken out of the top.
Same procedure. The paint matched better this time.

_

========================================================
Dan's last request was for a bucket mug that he'd never seen before. The face has lots of chips.
Same procedure.

I wiped off some paint with a paper towel.

If you repair something feel free to post it here on my thread.

I got a lot done today. I'll share more tomorrow. Cheers, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2013-12-12 22:18 ]

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2013-12-13 08:29 ]

That's so cool Wendy! The second mug (Stacey sold that at the marketplace)
that you fixed up is looking great as are the others, do the repairs last as long as the life of the mug?

Atomic Tiki Punk when just displayed they will last forever. But here's the scoop on use.

The mug Stacy sold for $5 (irresistible) had a lot of damage on the top edge so I would say that it should never be used.

Your message reminded me that I hadn't fixed the paint on the bucket mug. This mug can be used as long as it's not put in a dishwasher or scrubbed. No one would do that to a bucket mug anyway. This was a real $5 treasure. In this photo it is still wet, it will dry Matte or flat.

The Tiki Roots Rocka mug was a 1/1 hand built mug. So much work and such a beautiful mug that it needed to go into a collection. It could have been left as it was but since Dan will just be looking at it I leveled the bottom. The putty is not as strong as ceramic so it should just be left on display.

So for the most part these types of repair are cosmetic and not structural.

Thanks for asking. Cheers, Wendy

Hi Dan and Wendy!
As always, great visiting with you two at the ITMP. Thank you very much the support, and now, awesome fix-it tip.
I had a corner blow off of one of my lamps and that method looks perfect! Oh, there's so much to learn.
I also love that Scootiki tiki.

Worst sound ever, slurp of an empty tiki mug through my straw!!!

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2013-12-13 19:13 ]

Good job Dr. Wendy! Glad you were able to fix Dan's "babies."

YEAH...mug repair for the love of design...nice job!!!

T

Wendy, maybe I need to start covering all of the mugs I make with Elmer's to cover them up (might improve them???. :wink: Great repairs. Sorry I missed you guys (and everyone else) at Don's, been in the middle of a whirlwind few weeks of work. Too many distractions, not enough tiki.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS - I LOVE ALL THE MULTI-COLORED LIGHTS THAT KEEP POPPING UP IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD.

TikiRootsRocka we always look forward to running into at the events. We are missing the Tong Hut tomorrow. Just too much to do. I started my tiki career by learning to repair Dan's mugs.

hang10tiki woo hoo I got photoshopped and I loved it. Thank you. Did you stretch my smile bigger?
You sure have found a lot of stuff. I keep going to tiki finds to see what you captured for your collection.
I think I see another tiki room in your future!

Thank you so much for the video montage of Dan and I. It's the first CD to play on my new laptop. I snapped photos as I watched it for a second time.

LoriLovesTiki he does so love his tikis and his soup too. See below.

VampiressRN just one a day is all her asks. I hope you are feeling better.

TikiAno I always hope there's another tiki event coming up that we can make it too. I love seeing everyone and Dan loves shopping. I'm still learning how one day at a time. You are doing great, keep at it.

==================================================================================

Today I took Dan to lunch so he could have his favorite bowl of soup. That's my bowl in front.

When we got home he went to work on the dining room which is slowly becoming tikified.

===================================================================================
It's Christmas time so I have to work on Christmas gifts for my great-niece and great-nephew along with all the tikis.
Since glazing tikis and glazing for the kids is kind of the same I want to show how I did them. These match the bowls and tumblers I made for them the past two years.

At the same time I re-glazed a couple of crawl mugs, one for Tiki Hula and also his volcano.

===============

All of the Paint your own stores start with a pre-fired ceramic that you glaze. This time I bought two plates that I glazed at home. First I washed the plates and then while they were still damp I started the project. Moist bisqued wear will grip the glaze tighter.

I started by writing on the bottom with a special under-glaze pencil. Then I covered the words with clear glaze and then the entire bottom with the glaze to match the rest of their sets.

When the bottoms were dry a couple of days later I started an edge design on Nathan's plate.

Now on the front of the plate I added the same design.

Next I filled it in with red by pouring it in the middle and dragging it into place. This works because the plate is moist.

Finished the glazing so then I decorated it with writing and designs with French Dimensions. It comes in a squeeze bottle.

Loaded with Tiki Hula's mug, and some Zombie Torch flames. I'm hiding his last name with my finger.

Fired.

Stepping back. I also glazed Samantha's dish first with one color

and then the next.

I used the French Dimension's to write her name and to decorate her plate.

In the kiln with Tiki Hula's volcano.

Fired.

Ready for Christmas dinner.

Each year they have brought the pieces I've made them before. I hope they do that again.

I'll be back to tiki's on here tomorrow. Thank you for the visit. Cheers, Wendy

Today I took Dan to lunch so he could have his favorite bowl of soup. That's my bowl in front.

Thanks for clarifying that! I thought Dan was having a bowl of soup with his bowl of soup! :D

Awesome tips for mug repair Wendy, thanks!

T

I admired Dan's Coral Reef mugs with custom glazes so much that I requested my Coral Reef mug get customized too. I thought Wendy would say "Well, maybe after the first of the year". But instead she had room in her next firing and graciously let me pick one of her many glazes and did the makeover and I love it!

Wendy has photos and details of what we worked on today, but it was really fun, and quite the challenge for someone as un-artistic as I am...

Mahalo to you both for everything today!

Nope, that smile is all you
Glad you liked the video
Lots of good art on you latest episode
Is Dan-0 going for a Guinness world record?

zerostreet I think hang10tiki made a photo of Dan's dream lunch. I hope you never need to repair a mug but if you do...

TikiHula perfect timing. I really enjoyed our play day. Dan said it gave him the opportunity to go out and to shop for my Christmas present. He said it's coming from OSH hardware. My man knows me well.

See you next Sunday for the next step. You are very welcome.

hang10tiki that was a beautiful photo of Dan and his perfect lunch, thank you. We love the CD.

=======================================================================

A few days ago I printed all the Wish List orders from my PM's and emails. Then I organized them and even printed helpful photos. I am working on casting the basic mugs and bowls that I will alter. I'm almost done with that part. Maybe 8 days more and then I'll start to customize.

I tape Househunters international and the show was about finding an apartment in Italy. Dan was really quick to see a New Zealand tiki on the wall. I ran it back and took these photos.

Tiki Hula aka Mike came over to work on my computer. After he fixed it I had him take over Dan's duties to help me pour a mold in the garage. Here he is vigorously shaking up the slip.

While I worked on a Zombie's Torch mug He went to work on a volcano in the center of a bowl I had cast ahead of time. This is one of his Wish List requests.

He is doing his own design. I just give him pointers on how to do it.

He is building a special volcano.

It's growing.

Big enough?

Nope not yet. So he added more sticky clay.

Now it was time to hollow it out.

All the way through and out the bottom of the bowl.

Was the bowls sides high enough. Nope not for the amount of drink he wants to add. So he's begun building up the sides.

Next Sunday the clay will have dried out some and he'll be able to work it into what he desires.

So after a fun evening of Survivor its time for lights out.
Cheers, Wendy

Wow! What is he going to have in the middle???? I can hardly wait to find out!

I know....

Ya just need a long straw

lunavideogames he thinks he wants me to make it but I know he can do it. The center volcano is far from done and it's a fun idea. It will change with the next session.

hang10tiki Dan thought it looked like a sombrero chip and dip bowl. I think Mike looks good with your idea.

Working to stockpile for the Wish List #4 projects is a daily task. But now I'm really getting near the end. My goal is to finish this week and then to start making the projects next week.

Every day we pour molds.

Dan does the clean up.

I do as much as I can to prep each cast and then they get bagged and placed on the shelf.

Oh and on these shelves too.

Just a sampling of the days work. On each Zombie Torch I have to build up the top to hold the flame. This mug was missing a chunk.

I repaired where it was missing clay first.

I smoothed it keeping air bubbles out.

Then I began to add clay.

I go around and around until it's got enough added.

Because of this once the rest of the work is done it will be bagged and the clay equalized in moisture.

Here I'm opening a Ren Clark Severed Head mold.

In this view he is upside down.

I cleaned off the mold lines and added clay to the inside of his chin.

I add finishing touches to his curls. These I've poured to alter. I don't know what they will look like in the future.

One more day and more on the shelf. Soon the real fun will begin. I love the challenges that I've been given.
Thank you, Wendy

That severed head mug is scary

Hang10, your photoshop stuff is hilarious :)

With a LOT of help from Wendy I think it's going to be very cool. Unless I already trapped an air bubble in there somewhere and then it's gonna explode in the kiln :( If so I'll just have to start over again...

I wish all of you could have the experience of working with Wendy on a project. She is not only a great friend and wonderful conversationalist, but she is "the teacher in school that everyone adores". She gets you started, turns it over to you, and then jumps back in to help out when things are going south. All the while with a big smile on her face. She loves sculpting and it shows!

"But why is the rum gone?!" -Capt. Jack Sparrow

[ Edited by: TikiHula 2013-12-16 22:16 ]

hang10tiki you just keep me laughing and having a good time. I hope GROG doesn't miss his newest spin.

Tiki Hula I'll teach you any time! Actually I was amazed at how you kept working as long as I wanted you too and you kept smiling. You are a really good student and I look forward to Sunday. Thank you for the kind words.

Well I sure do love getting to view and read the posts that show up hear on my thread. I feel well rewarded for the time it takes to post photos of my work day.

Thank you all for the visits and the posts.

Some days just don't go as planned. To start off this first photo shows how I would run clay along the seams to prevent leaks. It takes a lot of time and a lot of clay. It's a bummer that most molds leak even when done well.

I borrowed a peanut mug mold from MAHALO TIKI so that I could make one for the Wish List request of hang10tiki. This view is looking inside the mold.

I decided that I would plug all the leaks from the inside so I just ran some slip along the places where the mold pieces come together. This works as well as the clay on the outside and that's how I do my casting most of the time.

Here's where I made my mistake. The mold was filled and fine but I decided to pound the outside with a rubber mallet to remove air bubbles. The rubber bands holding the mold together were rotten and my light pounding made the seal break and all the slip poured out.

I added a strap and poured again and all was fine.

Out of the mold you can see the seams.

First clean up. When it dries the seams will show again and require a second clean up.

==================================================

I have some chores to do so this is it for tonight. I hope you are all having a good one, Wendy

Crud
Sorry my mug made a mess
You should have called
I would have drove up to clean up da mess

:)

T

All's looking great! Been missing TC with lots of work events- and working on the home bar when I can.

Just got all caught up, everything's looking awesome (as per usual).

Thanks for posting!

Working with you with the clay looks like a fun experience! Do you know those credit card commercials where you can buy an experience? (Like playing on a professional football field or driving a racecar.) We tiki nuts would bid on the Wendy Cevola experience. Activities include making your own ceramic piece, learning how to carve clay, firing, painting, etc. Learning from the master and her assistant! Maybe a shopping trip with Dan too. And a stay in the Buzzy bedroom! Plus lunch out for a giant bowl of soup. :)

LOL

hang10tiki I'll make a new mess if you and Jonelle will really drive here. I'm just glad that I gave away all my rubber bands and just use straps. After this mess I'll never go back.

TikiAno working on the home bar has paid off. I enjoyed your photos.

LoriLovesTiki that was really fun to read. It's fun to see what our lives look like from your perspective.

==============================================================
The best sale ever at Aaron Brothers. Buy one Canvas, any size and get two free of equal or less value. I spent $30 and picked up $90 worth. Now I'll have to find the time to paint.

==============================================================

These photos are for the two Wish List bowls that dartharnie ordered. His kids are drawing pictures of what they want and will tell me which of these creatures should go into the bottom of their bowls and how their names should look on the outside. Derek, don't forget their color choices.

I made a rim around the mold with clay so I could pour this as a sheet.

After a couple of hours Dan poured out the excess slip.

Then it was left on it's side overnight.

The next morning I tipped it out onto the underside of a tray.

These are some of the sculps I did for the chunk lamps that Roge makes. When we was done with them I made this mold. I've made these into mugs and necklaces.

I just use a spike to cut them out of the sheet.

When molding I sacrifice some parts to insure that the sculpt will come out of the mold and that casts will too. So note the fin on the right. It has a piece missing.

I just added clay

and make it whole.

There is no waste clay. Depending on how clean it is I either save it for making molds or as sticky clay for sculpting.

I just put it in a bag and store it according to how I'll use it next.

Before and after.

Puffer Fish.

They needed the same kind of additions that the turtle needed.

All finished and placed on a board.

I slip the board into a plastic bag and now they'll wait until I get more instructions.

I am working on the Wish List in this way. Making the parts that will become the whole.

I sure do have fun with clay. Cheers, Wendy

Wendy
You might want to check the creatures up close...
Dan-0 might have substituted cookie dough for the slip stuff

mmmmm, cookie dough....nom...nom....nom...

hang10tiki and TikiHula, you both made me think of how fun it would be to have a chocolate mold of these and to cast them for parties.

============================

Back to work for Mondo-by-the-bay, VampiressRN, Corona Contessa and TikiHula who all Wished for a Zombie Torch or mug.

Back in 2011 I bought a mold for Christmas tree ornaments on eBay. I needed a base from which I could make the flames for the torch mug. Even with the mold making the flames proved to be a lot of work. Now that I'm making the last 20 I noticed I was short one flame. So I decided to make three more in case I drop any. That also means that the three ladies above can change the flame color if they want to.

Pouring the mold.

Opened the next morning.

Three ready to alter.

They are very thin at the opening and need a lot of clay added.

First I add it to the inside.

Next I add it to the outside and form the flame.

The three are done and will need to dry slowly.

Now to make Tiki Hula's Zombie mug. I cut off the excess clay.

Side one cleaned up and nipples added.

Side two cleaned up and earrings are added.

A step further each day. Even though the holidays are here we keep plugging away on the Wish List. I have some really fun projects coming up. For one Bob will become a Rat Fink and then I'll be doing another album cover like I did for the Christmas Eve swap.

I will also begin to carve the three cannibals so I can make some bowls. That will require us to make molds. Every day is a busy fun day.

Happy Holidays, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2013-12-19 21:53 ]

Nipples and earrings...

Hard to tell if you are making a mug for Grog or of Grog

i'm surprised at myself, but i'm jealous you're making a rat fink for someone else! i thought that was just our thing, darling!

T

Whewwww, glad she didn't ask me to try and make my own Zombie Village mug :wink: No way I could match her mad sculpting skills!

hang10tiki you've seen GROG's nipples?

kingstiedye I am so happy that you like yours enough to be jealous. Yours will always be one of a kind and totally hand built, no molds.

Tiki biting the Rat Fink Tail.

Pappa and baby.

On the shelf.

TikiHula I thought about it but decided a few more lessons first. Your day will come. See you on Sunday, come hungry I have more coupons.

Wearing his prize for guessing how many different buffets we ate at in Las Vegas.

=======================================================

I have a second ornament mold that I've never used. I thought I might be able to alter them into hats for Tiki Bob so I poured in some slip and swirled it around and then filled it up. Perfect cast. I didn't even use a strap. I had a piece of tape around it to hole the two pieces together.

After sitting over night

they came out of the mold easily.

Gee, I ought to make one more batch to put away. But I'd better strap it this time. Oops I forgot to do the swish it around to seal it. Horrors I've made a mess.

A tiki mess, time to finger paint.

Opening the mold the next day shows that the slip just went right between the two mold pieces. No worries I just cut that off and still have my hat blanks.

The shelves are filling up with Wish List pieces.

I'm running out of space. After our Christmas dinner with family on the 21st I'll be back to stacking things on our dining room table.

Happy Holidays, Wendy

Wow, your stockpile is really growing! Can't wait to see the fun you have with all of it. I love the hats for the Bobs. I think they're going to be super cute.

Wow
That's a lot of clay in ziplocks
How big is the wish list?
How long can u keep the clay in the baggies?

Have a fun dinner party

Jon

skip down

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2013-12-21 08:40 ]

Kool
Sounds like the busy schedule continues onward
Can't wait to watch every episode
Have fun with the family and cheers

LoriLovesTiki those shelves represent a lot of weeks pouring and cleaning mugs so I'm excited to reach this point of preparation. I hope I can make it fun for everyone to watch.

I may have to make one of the hats right from the mold. Most will be altered like the flames, a total overhaul.

hang10tiki I'm hoping that they will stay moist in the plastic bags until I use them. There is condensation on the inside of the bags so some moisture is being lost from the casts. Hopefully I won't have problems like the year they all dried out.

I counted the project and I have 26 orders for custom mugs. In addition to that I'm making the rest of 20 Zombie Torches and I'll be working on the Sacramento Crawl mug. I figured out the style I wanted to do and Tiki Hula suggested the tiki. Now Tiki Hula is contacting the man who owns the establishment to see if he'll let me do it. If he can get the man to say yes Tiki Hula will get his crawl mug for free.

We will have our party today and I'm looking forward to the kids using their plates. Then tomorrow Tiki Hula will be here for lesson number two. What a fun weekend. I wish you all one as good.

Thanks hang10tiki, just yesterday Dan asked me if you and Janelle would ever come for a visit. I said that I hoped so but the lure of Hawaii will always trump a tiki jungle room. But we can always hope.

==============================================
I did end up pouring some items that didn't end up with orders attached. So when I finish all the orders I'll make some speculation pieces of art. Here are a few that will eventually need a good home.

I always picked a variety to pour. We started doing this way before I opened up Wish List #4.

Some tikis are so small that pouring out the slip is hazardous. I use a flashlight to make sure we don't close up the opening which causes the glug glug and collapses the tiki.

I also use a small stick to start the slip coming out.

So as I watch I tell Dan to tip, tip more, ok now you can turn it over. He's a great helper.

These are two Frankoma Salt shakers made from the one that survived the fire. The story is on page one of this thread.

The bottoms of these tikis always come out too thin so I use my sticky clay to

build them up. Most casts require additional work, at least mine do.

All done and ready to be bagged.

We also poured a few of the hula girls.

They are Playboy models.

When I sculpted them I had them leaning back too far. So now I give them a tummy tuck.

All done with better posture.

==================================================

Now it's time to make deviled eggs, our great-great-nephew's record is 9 halves, so I need to make a lot.
Then I'll cut up a fresh pineapple. Adding these to Indian samosas, tandoori chicken, Chips, hummus, deli salads and ice cream we are all set with our international meal.

Cheers until we meet again, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2013-12-21 08:41 ]

Enjoy your international meal & time with your family!

Yum! maybe some photos for the food thread?

What ATP said

Wendy & Dan...wishing you and your family a happy holiday season. Stay safe...love you both.

LoriLovesTiki we had a fun party. Sorry ATP and hang10 I didn't take any photos of the food. This is the best one I have.

Nathan Jr. gave up eating deviled eggs in favor of miniature hot dogs wrapped in filo and baked. He said he ate 19 and I think he really did!

The Kale salad was a hit. But remember I didn't prepare anything except the eggs, we just know where to shop.

VampiressRN we wish the same for you, Sandy, and mom. Thank you always for having us to your home so many times for fun and hugs. We love you too.

===============================================================================

Have you ever painted on paper? I decided to gussy up a postcard by flounder and to send it as a Christmas Card to my friend Kohalacharms. He had sent us one with photos of his family that was really nice so I did this.

I used Liquitex Glossies.

I hope I dried it well enough that it won't piggyback onto someone else's mail. I should have put it into an envelope.

=================================================================================

When we make molds I carve the name of the mold into the plaster on the sides. But it's not always easy to read because it's white. I was told use a big felt pen but over time these seem to fade. So now I'm using crayons. I used to get these for Christmas presents as a kid but now I have to buy them for myself.

=================================================================================

I'm getting the parts ready for a Bumatay bowl. Mondo-by-the-bay put it on the Wish List and is trying to decide if she wants the fins or not. They are easily removed.

Poured the slip and let it sit for 2 hours.

Poured it out and turned the molds over. That was a huge mistake.

As the plaster sucked out the water they came loose and fell out on the table. The inside of each fish is still very soft and sticky. They were like suction cups.

After I was able to slide them off of the table I put them back in their molds and went to work to finish the insides.
I added sticky clay to all the indentations at the fins

and around the edges.

I let them firm up overnight

and then I finished cutting off the rest of the excess around the edges.

Two done more to be poured.

Today Tiki Hula is due here to work on his volcano bowl. I'll have photos for tomorrow.

I'm going to start on sculpting for the Wish List while he works. I'm so happy to have fun projects to make.

===========================================================================

Happy Holidays, Wendy

PS I stole this photo. It is of hang10tikis body and GROG's head. It's been so long since GROG checked in here that
I just stole this photo.

Look at all the fun things Gecko has made.

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2013-12-22 10:08 ]

Hey, that's Gecko's garage/ceramics studio! I was there. :)

Thanks to your suggestion and a text from Mauitiki, that is. A highlight of our vacation for sure.

(I'm always thrilled when I recognize a place I've been to in a photo. Silly, I know.)

Glad you had fun and are getting back to your art. Have a great day, Wendy!

G
GROG posted on Sun, Dec 22, 2013 11:43 PM

On 2013-12-22 09:58, danlovestikis wrote:
PS I stole this photo. It is of hang10tikis body and GROG's head.

Nope. Not GROG' head. Jon' head and body, GROG just draw glasses and beard on Jon' face in Photoshop.

Wendy- party, paint and clay. You sure know how to have fun.
Lori- The studio of the Geck is awesome, what did u bring home?
Grog- You are one crazy Caveman.......

LoriLovesTiki I love recognizing places too. We watch Hawaii Life on cable TV and even though we haven't been there in 9 years we still are familiar with many places they show. It's all fun but going to Gecko'z is the best stop of all. We haven't seen this home since they moved. One day we will.

GROG you fooled me. You must be brothers from different mother's.

hang10tiki yesterday was lots of fun. Tiki Hula came over to play with clay and he brought Dan two huge pieces of cloth.

This one would make a nice shower curtain!

===================================================================
Tiki Hula has a vision for a volcano bowl and is willing to work hard to pull it off. However the bowl stuck to the
turn table and so he had to cut it off.

After he lifted it up we put a plastic bag under it so that it won't stick again.

This "volcano" in the middle of the bowl needed some touch up.

Next step cut a slab of clay

and then roller it smooth and the same thickness across.

I had him make a pattern of the size of the top with a bit of an overhang.

Next he cut the clay using the pattern.

All done.

Next he added slip as glue.

WhaLa the slab is in place.

Now he trimmed it so that the size was correct.

Humm is this working? What should I do next?

He made a dip in the top to hold high intensity rum.

Once it was deep enough

he trimmed off the excess clay and check out the next part he wanted to add. What is it?

Back to the garage to cut more pieces of clay.

Cut cut cut.

Loaded up and back into the house.

Time to sculpt.

Don't just sit there looking pretty

back to work!

These will need to be hollowed out so he began the process. Can you see Dan in the background watching TV?

Mike arrived at 11 am and decided he'd let me do a bit of sculpting on his project. I got this far by 9 PM.
Working on number two.

Number one in the bag.

Number two in the bag.

These need to rest for awhile before more detail is added. Have you figured out his bowl design. It's only just begun. Tiki Hula will be back again next Sunday.

=============================================

Doo Wop I'll have photos of your mug in progress tomorrow.

=============================================

Cheers and happy holidays, Wendy

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 10816 replies