Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Wendy Cevola - New colors of the Frank mug by Frankoma now available.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 10,816 replies

Lots o work for u
Lots o fun for all of us

Thanks for letting us tag along for the ride

Jon

E

I see mine!

S

That is a LOT of glazing to do. I look forward to seeing the progress.

T

Phew! Glad it got there in one piece! Hope Dan enjoys it. Been working a whole lot so first time on TC in a few days. Looking at your pile of bisqued pieces, I'm glad you're glazing those and not me!!!! :wink:

Amazing work, love seeing the variety in your kiln loads, especially the line-up of Bobs.

Thanks for sharing the clay road trip!

littlegiles in our careers it was always hit the floor running and don't stop. I just applied the same work ethic and get it all done.

kingstiedye give us a call on Tuesday. We should know which day would be good for a visit by then. Your shakers are calling you by name.

GROG I was thinking of you and wishing you would post and here you are! I work Dan hard but you should see how many things I have to make for him as pay back. I think he's a happy man.

hang10tiki and a lot of enjoyment for me. I only get to post on the Gallery page when I finish something. Now that's in my future. I wouldn't be here if you all didn't stop in for a visit.

ebtiki yes you do.

swizzle there layers each, you know the drill. I enjoy looking at all your work on facebook and here. You did it!

TikiAno that's a fun name, the Clay Road Trip. You knew that I too wanted one of your Kahiki Fireplaces so that was a wonderful gift for both of us. Now when I think of you it will be the face of tiki.

I forgot to get photos ready before I started posting. I'll be back in awhile. Wendy

I've been working on the Sacramento Crawl mug and I'm getting close to having them all bisque fired. First I have to haul them from the garage

to the backyard where I've set up to sand and fine tune each mug.

It took me a full day to do each of

the mugs.

AT the end Dan would blow off the dust and then I would

load it into the kiln. We didn't give any dust a chance to settle back on the mug. Bottom shelf

and the top shelf. I had 5 mugs that I couldn't fit into the kiln. So I still have one bisque load to do. I better make a few things so that the kiln won't be empty.

That won't be hard because I'm working on the kickstarter project. I just finished pouring all the mugs. Now they are waiting for me to fine tune them all. They will have to wait until I glaze all of the Wish List projects.

It' time to start glazing and my first project was to make glaze tests for new glazes.

Here's a hint of what I'll glaze first. I just picked out the colors.

I borrowed the mold from Mahalo Tiki so I could do a special peanut mug.

Cheers, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2014-04-13 07:54 ]

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2014-04-13 08:46 ]

I recognize that name

:)

hang10tiki since you recognized your peanut mug I'm posting a second time today. Here are the glazing photos of your prize.

First I filled the mug with gloss walnut glaze poured it out and while the last bit dripped off I added black glaze to the bottom and the back wording.

Inside the mug shows the glaze.

Next I wiped off the black glaze leaving it in the wording. Surprise!

I mixed a couple of glazes together trying to get the old peanut mug color. After it fires I'll know if it worked.

I put the glaze on with my finger and

a brush.

I wiped off the glaze on the mug leaving it in the dents and a little on the surface.

Next I painted the boarders top and bottom with the dark walnut glaze that I used on the inside.

When I glazed the outside some brown glaze went into the writing on the back so

I used a wooden pick to gently remove the brown exposing the black glaze.

One day this mug will be in the Honu Hideaway in Las Vegas! Cheers, Wendy

=============================================================================

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2014-04-13 20:08 ]

Yea! Glazing has begun. I love this part. All parts are informative and entertaining but I love the transformations.

• Dale

Glaze Glaze Glaze Yea!! So much fun :)

HOLY KOOKAMUNGA! You two are keeping busy! If I were there I would help with the glazing, that was probably my favorite part of pottery class. :wink:

Hope you keep us in the loop about this kickstarter campaign, sounds intriguing. :D

C

Holy Guacamole!

You are putting out so much incredible stuff.

T

Wow. Can't wait to see Jon's mug fired. As well as all the other new creations!

M

so much fun seeing our mug taking shape.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Wow
What a treat
Just got home from work ( it's my Friday)
Tuned into the Cevola show
And
BAM
My mug is in the spotlight
Awesome
Can't wait to have the THICKEST Custom Peanut mug ever
Love the colors
And it's cool that you are watching yourself on TV at my Hideaway
:) :) :)

Hugs
Jon

littlegiles I guess I'd better keep working...the show must go on! I sure would miss having you all visit and leaving me fun to read messages.

TikiHula and you are so good at it.

tigertail777 I just saw you working to package your Egyptian Theater prints. Very cool. There is a lot to do here. I'll just glaze the Wish List. Then I'll work on Tiki Atari's kickstarter project.

Chippy it won't be long before you see your Maori mug show up here.

TikiAno Tiki Hula, Dan and I will open the first load soon but I need to post more photos before I show the results.

muskrat you have to wait until the crawl to get your mug but you can tell me now if you want it glazed differently. The crawl mugs will look like coconuts, brown and white.

hang10tiki you must be my talent agent, thank you for getting me on a TV show. I grew up acting but its been awhile now. I guess it never leaves you.

================================================

Thank you all for the comments that boost my spirit and make me grin. It's a great reward for posting photos.

================================================

We opened the kiln and found that all the Sacramento Crawl mugs came out just fine.

I hauled them outside so that when I'm ready to wash them they are already there.

=================================================

Next up was a Tapa Bob for Mauka Hale Tiki. This one is an easier glaze. Just filler up and dump'er out.

Paint around the face and then the whole body.

After the face is painted white and the eyes and lips are done it's time to let it dry.

Keep in mind that every step you see is done three times. I don't take photos showing layer one then layer two then layer three.
That's why GROG always says he hates to glaze. He just needs to find a good soap opera and listen to that junk while he works.

====================================================

Now it was time to do Mondo-by-the-bay's Drunken Bamboo Bob. It's a combo of two prior Bob's show in the photo. First the inside.

Choosing colors is always the fun part.

One more color.

Three layers each and done.

Now I'm done too and ready to read a good book called The Historian. 600 plus pages of searching for a Vampires grave.

Cheers, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2014-04-14 20:23 ]

Lookin good

This Mai-Tai was made in your honor

And this one for Dan-O

On 2014-04-14 21:42, hang10tiki wrote:
And this one for Dan-O

!!! Love the custom girl with the eyepatch and real tassel skirt! Too cool.

Thank you, Wendy, for all the awesome work you are doing on the limited edition Innsmouth Fogcutter mugs. As a long time fan of your thread and work, it's a pleasure to watch them take shape under your talented hands.
Mahalo!
Jonathan/Tiki-Atari

D

Both of those Bobs look so good! That Bamboo Bob is just special! I can't wait to see how it turns out!
And that kiln full of crawl mugs is just such a happy sight!

On 2014-04-14 19:57, danlovestikis wrote:

Looking good!

T

Three hours and counting until the kiln is opened and (among other things) the glazed Al Dead bowl emerges in all it's glory! Can't wait...tick...tick...tick...

It's Tuesday and the weather is so perfect today.

hang10tiki and I am honored. Especially that my art has a corner display in the Honu Hideway. Great photo.

hang10tiki Dan sends his thanks.

Tiki-Atari glad you like my hula girl. He was injured in a kiln accident but we think she looks great with the patch.

Innsmouth Fogcutter you are welcome. I've made great headway on the Wish List and your project will be next.

DooWop thank you so much and for your patience too. I keep going over your mug planning the glazing. When I do it I want it to be just right. Soon!!!

MaukaHale It will go into the next load to be fired.

TikiHula two more hours until you arrive and the kiln opens. Here are your glazing photos for the Zombie Torch mug.

==============================================================================

Tiki Hula's been put to work on his own mug.

Finishing touches.

Now the project for WaikikianMoeKele. Tiki Bobette playing with and as Hello Kitty. I hope I spelled that correctly.

This is tiny but I had brushes that fit into all the small areas.

Working with Tiki Hula.

Done and drying.

Next up Mondo-by-the-bay's King's Goblet. Layer one.

Dried.

Layer two.

Dried.

Layer three plus layer one of the black.

Three layers on the black outer bowl followed by three layers of a different black glaze on the lava.

Once it dried you can see the difference in the blacks.

That's it for tonight. Break time is over and it's back to work. Cheers, Wendy

Looking good

Let me slap some glaze on my Zombie Village face, hang10, and I'll look a whole lot better :wink:

Oh snap - tonight was just like Christmas morning! Can't wait for you all to see how the glazing turned out. I was floored! Wendy is just the best!

Anticipation...............

hang10tiki the tikis do but I'm a mess.

TikiHula has a lot of patients. He will work for many hours to glaze without complaint.

hang10tiki oh oh, I see he's looking like me after so many hours.

====================================================================

I do know that there is repetition in this thread as I do each project. This is also my personal work journal. So here goes again.

It was another day of washing mugs for the Sacramento Crawl.

When I finished you can still see the bottom of the rinse bucket but not the wash bucket. I know I did a good job when it comes out this way. All that dust that comes off would make glaze skips if I left it on.

All done and on clean trays they are ready to join the first batch in my living room.

OOps blurry. I finished off the bottom level and

then added a second layer using trays.

I must be so tired I'm shaking the camera. I covered them to prevent any dust from landing on them.

All my other projects in the works are covered on the dining room table.

Another Wish List mug for Mondo-by-the-bay has been glazed.

This is Volcano Bob.

This is a discontinued glaze that I will miss when I run out. It's perfect for volcanos although it always has a problem when it's fired and needs a second go round.

A little work on the small tiki.

Front and

Back all done.

==================================================
I've been glazing all day. I have a few Wish List projects to go but the end is nearer.

Cheers, Wendy

Here's the next one for Mondo-by-the-bay. It's a Tapa Bob with an complicated glazing to do.

Requested colors were yellow and brown like the top half of Hale Tiki's engagement mug.

I put on a very thick coat of yellow glaze to fill the indentations from carving.

When this glaze has dried 24 hours later I sand off all on the high areas.

Then I use a wet paper towel to scrub off any that is left on.

To these exposed areas I will add the brown glaze. If I didn't remove the yellow first the glaze would be too thick and could cause the brown glaze to run.

I wish my hands were steadier. It's slow going a

tiny little painting at a time.

Tapa Bob's posing for some photos.

The last thing I did was cover the red with Cobblestone. A product that separates into black and exposes the red underneath. It works best for horizontal surfaces. We'll see how it does on the vertical sides.

Since using two glazes of different types can cause separation I also use a clear glaze.

In the case of Tapa any white areas that remain will just be highlights. Covering them with clear makes it water tight.

==========================================================
One more for Mondo-by-the-bay.

This is a Bumatay Bowl with fish fins. First I painted the inside and

out with a Sea Mist blue green.

Then I choose three more glazes to add for the next two layers.

I added those in strips over and over until it was layer thick enough.

The last glaze was added to each of the three Bumatay fish.

===============================================================

Next up is Moai Mike's mug.

I started by choosing the glazes he and I discussed.

I used the spotted glaze on the inside of the mug and coated the outside with the spotted red.

I wiped it off of the tapa lettering. Christmas candy, oh no!

Next I coated the Moai in flat grey and

also did the same for the lettering.

========================================================

ebtiki's Suffering Bastard Bob.

I just started with the white face and black eyes and mouth.

All done and ready to fire.

These were done over several days. Since I know that Tiki Hula is dying to show off his bowl I'm spending time to post more glaze photos at once.

I need to go back to work now so I can finish the Wish List. Cheers, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2014-04-17 08:08 ]

OMG! Two Dan & Wendy shows in a row with no commercial interruptions. HAHA I don't know what to do with myself.

I love the glazing on that volcano and the Tapa Bob is going to so impressive!

Now that you have added more pictures since the original post I made, I have a couple comments/questions.

First...LOVE LOVE LOVE that Bumatay bowl. Seeing the glazes you used on the test tiles I can already picture it.

That Moai Mike mug is crazy! Love what you are doing with it. Does that rank as officially, your largest mug to date?

On the Tapa Bob, do you have to worry about the dust from sanding off the first layer of yellow glaze? I know you are always really careful to clean all the dust off before you start glazing and was wondering if you had to be as careful with the glaze dust. Perhaps it won't cause skipping like the clay dust will?

• Dale

[ Edited by: littlegiles 2014-04-17 09:03 ]

D

Volcano Bob and Tapa Bob... I don't think I could pick a favorite if I tried! They are both so great looking (not to ignore the other awesome projects you have going on as well). I think I just may have a Bob weakness. I think you may have created that weakness, Wendy! And that's a good thing!

MM

Aloha, Wendy! I can't believe how great all the mugs are looking. I may be bias but I think my mug looks the best! You do such good work and it shows how much you love doing it.

Sweet........

littlegiles you make me blush. Thank you. Glaze dust isn't a problem as long as I wipe it up and it doesn't stick any where it shouldn't. It will not make glaze skips like regular dust will do. I also wipe the mug so that it either comes off or stick.

DooWop Bob is a design that grows on you. At first Dan and I thought it was an owl. Then we saw it was based on an African Mask.
Now it's just a huge part of tiki collections everywhere.

I bet you can guess that I've saved your mug and Tiki Wahini's mug to glaze last. They are the most difficult to do and I want a clean table and quiet before I start them. I'm very close now.

Moai Mike I do love doing this otherwise I'd just sit and watch TV and that's not a bit healthy. You 36 pound mug will be fun for you to drink from, a work out at the same time!

hang10tiki Sweet........

The glazing was the most fun part for me because I could actually DO it and not feel nervous about screwing it up. I couldn't say that about the little bit of sculpting I did - but hey it was my first time. And it's fun to know that you're painting it with a color that will look TOTALLY different when it's fired. That still blows my mind :)

Everyone's mugs came out so awesome and everyone who ordered one is going to be so happy. Wendy impresses me every time!

We had a great time as always. And we had just returned from a celebration of life service for Steve Soto. He was one of our Sacramento Ohana and the nicest guy you'd ever meet in your life. Wearing some of Steve's hawaiian shirts, his brothers told wonderful stories about his life, including how much he liked tiki, Hawaii, and collecting and wearing hawaiian shirts. He had more Munktiki fugu mugs than anyone I'd ever seen (yes, including Dan!) We will miss seeing him at all our future events, but he'll always be with us...

Hula- that bowl is HUGE and looks awesome
You guys did great...
Can't wait to see U drinking out if it

Jon

Wendy, thanks for the clarification on the glaze dust. You and Hula did a great job on that bowl and I can't wait to see how it turns out!

• Dale
T

Beautiful work- can't wait to see them all fired.

Hula, you can come glaze for me anytime... great patience- and detail work on your bowl. Wendy, post glazed photos so everyone can enjoy.... :) :)

Hi Wendy!

I have been busy lately and haven't had the time to be on TC so tonight I got to catch up - 4 pages of Dan & Wendy goodness!!! Everything looks great and my favorite time is almost here....when you start the glaze firings! I swear it's like Christmas morning!!!! Can't wait to see the projects in all their colorful glory. :)

Happy Easter to everyone who is celebrating!

Lori

[ Edited by: LoriLovesTiki 2014-04-18 21:28 ]

T

Thanks TikiAno and Hang10 and Littlegiles. Look forward to meeting you, and hopefully everyone on this thread at some point. I'm sure finished photos are next! Woohoo

"But why is the rum gone?!" -Capt. Jack Sparrow

[ Edited by: TikiHula 2014-04-19 08:50 ]

TikiHula thank you for the tribute about our dearest friend Steve Soto.

See you at 11 am? We are set up for a visit to Bullet's after lunch. See I do take some time off now and then!

hang10tiki and I can't wait until he lights the heads and Fez on fire while drinking from it. However there is more to this story.

littlegiles me too. Here's insider information. Even Tiki Hula doesn't yet know it's in the kiln firing for the 3rd time as I type.

TikiAno soon, soon. He would love to move South and glaze with friends.

LoriLovesTiki Happy Easter to you as well. I love opening the kiln. Right now a batch is still firing away.

========================================================================

Update on Wish List #4.

Cippy's Maori Bob

I started by covering the face in flat black glaze.

Then I wiped it off.

Next I filled inbetween the black lines with a white underglaze that isn't supposed to move.

Next a good Tiki Bob rust red on the body.

All done and ready to dry before firing.

Tavarua Tiki's King's Place of Refuge Goblet.

I started by covering all but the tikis in red with black specks glaze.

The Goblet didn't make it into the kiln but many projects did make it. Bottom shelf.

Top shelf. They are separated to that glazes with chunks can't spit on another mug.

=========================================================

Bullet aka kingstiedye and his wife Sandy came over yesterday. He wanted to glaze his own Wish List #4 request for Frankoma salt and peppers.

Concentrating hard.

First of three layers.

All Done but not in the firing above.

=======================================================

Now it's time to get ready to socialize and to work on more tikis. There are still many photos to post but as
far as work goes I'm down to the last two and hardest projects for the Wish List.

These last two are Tiki Wahini's Rat Fink at Disneyland and Doo Wop's Creature at Gilligan's Island. I will be working on these
this weekend.

Soon all my time will be spent on perfecting the Tiki Atari kickstarter mugs.

Cheers and happy weekend, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2014-04-19 14:00 ]

=======================================================

Now it's time to get ready to socialize and to work on more tikis. There are still many photos to post but as
far as work goes I'm down to the last two and hardest projects for the Wish List.

These last two are Tiki Wahini's Rat Fink at Disneyland and Doo Wop's Creature at Gilligan's Island. I will be working on these
this weekend.

Soon all my time will be spent on perfecting the Tiki Atari kickstarter mugs.

Cheers and happy weekend, Wendy

Oh, sweet anticipation!! LOVE everything, especially Tapa Bob and your super carved moai. I'm glued to your thread!

C

Oh My! Oh My! Oh My!

Everything looks so fantastic, even though Maori Bob looks the best!!

OOOH, a red glaze with black specs? I can't wait to see that. If I hadn't already had you choose a background for my Moai that would be a contender! LOL (Can you say indecisive?? there are so many good choices...)

Can't wait to see this batch fired.

thanks for letting me do the glaze, wendy. it's weird that the dull salmon color will just about match my shirt after it's fired. lemme know when you're firing and i'll come by.

Tikiwahini thank you so much. These comments motivate me to keep going and going like the energizer Easter bunny. I hope
everyone has a special time with those they care about today.

Chippy I am so happy with Maori Bob. The white glaze is extra thick so it feels great to rub a finger across his cheek and no stubble either.

LoriLovesTiki yours has been glazed, in fact see the photos today. Not the red but a very beautiful blue.

kingstiedye we may open the kiln this afternoon if it has cooled off enough. You are always welcome to come over any time.

==================================================================

Glazing Daze...

dartharnie's Frankoma tea light. Tiki by Joniece Frank. This is the tiki I cut off the South Seas bowl.

First I glazed the inside where the candle will go with bright yellow.

The outside is a brilliant orange with yellow spots. I left the eyes rimmed in yellow.

Speaking of eyes, this is what Dan woke up with this morning. I swear I didn't touch him!

Next up is Miss Monkii's Bumatay mug. First blue glaze

flowed by a second with spots.

All these colors to do the eyes.

Center in black and

the rest is orange, purple and red like Dan's eye.

All done, side view.

Next up are bowls for dartharnie's adored children.
This is Annabel's bowl.

Her color choices with a dolphin on the inside and

a butterfly on the outside.

Her sister Abby like Harry Potter and choice a crest for the inside

and classic colors for the outside.

She also makes wands so I added one on the backside.

As a surprise I made each girl a float necklace to match their bowls.

The next day I added a tiny bit of sparkle glaze to each bowl. I don't know if it will show up or if the names will blur on firing. Time will tell.

LoriLovesTiki your Moai wall plaque is next. Here are your colors.

The Moai will feel like sand paper aka rock. The plaque is smooth and spotted blue.

I even glazed the back with one layer.

This is layer two for the Moai. This now discontinued glaze requires 4 to 5 coats.

Tiki Hula was over and he caught me just as I made a mess. I forgot that I hadn't poured all of the glaze out of
dartharnie's dads New York Yankee's mug and I

dumped it all on the table.

After I cleaned it up I got back to finger painting the mug.

=========================================

Between glazing mugs we went out to lunch and I saw my first real life Bloody Mary. Before that it was only Bloody Maori's.

The we saw a couple of big batches a chicks trying to jump the curve. They shouldn't be out shopping.

At dinner he was back to his whip cream.

This time he couldn't finish it.

==========================================

May you all have a great day, Wendy and Dan

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2014-04-20 08:26 ]

How's the celebrity bowl?

Soon hang10tiki soon, Wendy

Dan-0's eye
Was he coughing?
Or just posing for a mug?

All the mugs look kool

This next photo explains a lot

Worst sound ever, slurp of an empty tiki mug through my straw!!!

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2014-04-20 12:41 ]

T

Yikes Dan. Did you get an eye infection yesterday? Maybe something went into your eye when you were out bike riding? Hope it clears up soon dude.

But, Hang10, I love what you did with the Bumatay fish :)

That was one of the best Bloody Marys I've ever had. Even the garnish was yummy!

Happy Easter everyone.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 10816 replies