Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Wendy Cevola - New colors of the Frank mug by Frankoma now available.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 10,816 replies

As always, total awesomeness with everything you do.

hang10tiki it's a race now with so many mug makers. Just when I think of something someone posts photos and I have to start thinking again! Thank you. U sweet.

VampiressRN no wonder I post. I live for messages like yours.

==============================================================

From 9/3/14 to 9/6/14 we were on a Tiki Road Trip hunting for treasure.

Our first stop was in Gilroy, California, the garlic capital. We had lunch at Black Bear Diner.

This was one of the best burgers ever.

We found this tiki but since the price tag read $325 we passed. It's still there on Main Street in Gilroy.

However Dan did find treasures on other shelves.

In this photo we have made it to Monterey, California. Dan found a mug that he'd never had before. A peanut mug from Monterey!

We had happy hour at Hula's

and tried out a whole bunch of discounted appetizers. I didn't see a sole who knew us and the servers were not Tiki Central viewers. I hope I enlightened them to all the fun here.

The next morning we took a walk to the beach.

In back of us is the pier area of Monterey.

We went to some thrift stores and found this spoon and fork set. $18!

Is Dan a turkey?

Our favorite restaurant in Soquel is the Crepe Place. The back yard is the place to be.

They have a bar area where someone had a creative idea for decorating.

Antiquing in Soquel Dan found bookends that made his day. The Philippines make lots of great tikis.

We walked around on the beach in Capitola and looked at the famous little beach rentals.

Now in Santa Cruz we had dinner at a different Hula's.

It has several different rooms.

The next morning we drove home to get ready for my 45th high school reunion.

Thank you for sharing our short trip it was tiki successful. Group photo for ebTiki tomorrow.

Cheers, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2014-09-08 21:44 ]

Great pics Wendy! Dan with that burger is begging for some photoshopping!

zerostreet I could only wish.

=============================================================

My finds on our trip were all for working clay or for glazing. I've found that makeup brushes work really well so when I see one in a thrift store I get it. This one was one dollar. I also buy kitchen gadgets to scrap clay. I'd never seen these plastic tools before. They were on sale for $3 each so I got each shape.

Here's Dan's trip treasure.

This is the other side of the mug on the table.

Now he is working them into his collection.

====================================================

The dreaded domino effect has happened again. Photos tomorrow! Wendy

hang10tiki you are a master of photoshopping. I save them all.

=============================================================

The Dreaded Domino Effect is Back!
On our trip I could a cheap shelving unit that I couldn't resist. It was the right size for mugs.
I swore I could find a place for it so we brought it home. Well it looks like the nook is getting another place for mugs.
You can see in this photo how Dan is filling up the new shelves with mugs that have been in cupboards for a long time.

Dan came up with the idea of where the shelves would fit but we would need to raise a painting and two wood carvings.
That sounded really good to me because I wanted to swap the painting in the nook for one on the stairway in this photo.

Here's what we needed to move.

I told Dan how I thought we could get the shelf to stay in place so we got some wood strips and he drilled some holes for screws.

I started all the screws in these holes.

I held the shelf in place while he attached the first strip. It wasn't deep enough to hold the shelf so we did the whole procedure again. This time the shelf would hold my weight so I knew it could hold some mugs.

In place. We also put screws into the wall through the blue backing.

Now we put up the artwork above it and

hung the tapa at the stairway.

Now it will be fun for Dan to finish filling all these shelves.

Cheers, Wendy

It never ends

Thought I'd post a happy 1 yr to Grog here if that's ok
11 sept

Look what the lil caveman has turned into in 1 short year

I think that's wonderful hang10tiki. Shout out to GROG...go man go. Show us a photo of you glazing! Cheers, Wendy

G
GROG posted on Thu, Sep 11, 2014 10:54 AM

Thanks Hanger10 and Wendy. Today's GROG "re-birth day" and GROG a year old after open heart surgery.

Here picture of GROG gazing.

The scar as it looks now.

T

Happy rebirth (???) day, Ernie! You one gazing/ glazing/ (grazing?) caveman. Keep on keepin' on. Hope to see you soon!

C
cy posted on Thu, Sep 11, 2014 12:34 PM

Amazing what they can accomplish with stone tools these days. Glad you are doing well GROG! Always enjoy seeing your work Wendy, regards to Dan!!

Glazing, gazing or grazing

G
GROG posted on Fri, Sep 12, 2014 12:13 AM

Thanks hang10. Did you get those pics off of GROG' facebook page? Thanks for not photoshopping a bra or tassles onto GROG' man boobs.

Sorry your thread got derailed with GROG crap, Wendy. Love ya. :)

What's Facebook ?
The photos were from the Grog calendar

GROG Dan was very happy to see those photos on my thread. He says, "you the man". I say that you look very handsome in those photos. hang10tiki has cart blanche when it comes to posting here. I trust him to keep the tassels off.

hang10tiki Good Job.

================================================================================

It's Friday and tiki time. The Donino Effect continues.

Dan found these tikis for the cubby holes of the shelf. I think they look terrific with the painting above. What do you think?

Tiki decor just screams that no wall remain blank. So I found some screaming spots.

These were moved to a new location.

I had those super carved Moai and the fork and spoon set to hang and these walls were also screaming.

Here's how the dining room ended up. We are gussying up for the Sacramento Crawl.

=========================================================

Speaking of the Sacramento Crawl...my home the tiki factory is chugging along.

All the mugs have the gold highlights and I'm signing all the cards.

VampiressRN settled on the name Cap City Crawl. Cap = Capital because Sacramento is our capital for Sacramento.

It's time to box them up so we can prepare out home for the crawl. I still need to glaze a table load of tiki ceramics too.

==============================================================

I dropped one of the glaze test strips that I'd made so now I'm testing MadDogMike's Magic Mend to see if it can fix this.

The next test will be to fire it.

===============================================================

I told Tiki G if he sent the Swap mug that I made in 2009 I would try to repair the cracks. He sent the mug wrapped in his underwear. I'm wondering how he knew about the tradition that I like Dan to wrap my Xmas gifts this way. Cute and fast! I may have posted this tradition on my thread. Did I?

I've added this repair to my list of projects. Cheers, Wendy

Jon hit a new all time high with his pictures!

GROG - I read your update. Congrats on the 1 year bovine anniversary. Looking good, caveman!

LoriLovesTiki you've been missed. Welcome back.

Where is everyone? tigertail777, dartharnie, ebTiki, Psycho Tiki D, Brenda's Tiki Hut, Chief Bartender, VampiressRN, Dr. Tiki Mojo... Oh and Holler Waller, Professor G, WestADad I could go on for a day.

I appreciate every post that shows up on my thread. I hope to see more pop in's.

==================================================================================

We had a play day with Tiki Hula.
We started with a fun lunch.

At the end of his stay he picked up the puffer fish he had won on one of my contests.

===================================================================================

Progress Report on the Sacramento Crawl mug. The crawl is October 3rd, 4th and 5th. Three days of joy.

My tiki factory home had all the mugs in their corresponding box.

I lifted each mug out of the box and turned it over. They had been numbered in the little white box on the bottom. I took a brown felt pen and colored in the box so that it showed less.

Next I tore 50 sheets of paper from a big roll. There was only one sheet left when I finished so the roll went bye bye.

Then I took one sheet and stuffed it around each mug.

Then each mug was paired with it's numbered signature card.

Now I taped the boxes closed and then labeled each one with the person who was purchasing it at the crawl.

They are all ready for the crawl or to be shipped. My Asian living room is starting to return to normal. I bet you thought my whole house was tiki, it almost is.

Cheers, Wendy

Always so much love goes into your mugs!!!

Tiki-Hula in da house

Lori- I didn't do anything except post pics of The Grog Calendar
I just wish he would stop sending my wife a copy of it every week :)
Here is the KraZy Caveman on the cover shot
Ice Age Grog

Mornin Wendy- dig those coconut mugs, great color...

Worst sound ever, slurp of an empty tiki mug through my straw!!!

Edit spelling before Grig did :)

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2014-09-14 08:36 ]

Great seeing you guys yesterday. You didn't tell them Dan's idea about the shorts? :wink:

Mahalo for the puffer fish due - he's really cool!

I'm so looking forward to the crawl. Let's GO!!!

T

Wendy, the crawl mugs are perfect, look forward to seeing them with their recipients.

Jon, thankfully I changed my rock-mail address so Grog stopped sending my wife similar photos. I know how much cavemen love rocks. :)

VampiressRN I wouldn't be making these mugs without a Sacramento Crawl. Thank you for keeping the tradition going.

hang10tiki I like the flat glaze too but the best part is that they are big and heavy. It will take arm strength to carry one around at the crawl.

TikiHula three weeks until the crawl. Glad you liked this puffer. I saw your facebook post of the race track. Wow!

TikiAno GROGS calendar photos are nothing compared to getting Tiki G's underware in the mail!

========================================================================================

I've started the kiln and I'll have photos of the projects I've been glazing in a couple of days.

This week I've glazed the Tiki Bob Coconut bowl.

The green is clear glaze.

My next project was a Frankoma War God with Small Frankoma Tiki Goblet.

I did it all with a red speckled paint.

The black is a special cobblestone glaze that I've never gotten to work. So it may just make black smears.

Drying in the back yard before going into the kiln.

Close up. See the cracks. It is supposed to separate into little squares. Fingers crossed.

Bottom shelf.

Top shelf.

Yep you guessed it I am firing a small load. Sometimes I can't wait.

Cheers, Wendy

T

....that's what HE said!! ....not me...that other guy...yeah...the guy over there...

"But why is the rum gone?!" -Capt. Jack Sparrow

[ Edited by: TikiHula 2014-09-15 19:31 ]

Tiki Hula who what where why when???

Working on glazing a mug for me. If you come to visit I put you to work!

========================================

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2014-09-15 21:18 ]

That must be the special Hula glaZe

T

Haha Hang10!

Ok Wendy. Get you mind back in the gutter where it belongs! Read the last line of your post and the first line of mine.

And congrats on taking the first photo ever of me with glasses on (even if they weren't mine). I'm officially old now... :wink:

"But why is the rum gone?!" -Capt. Jack Sparrow

[ Edited by: TikiHula 2014-09-16 19:06 ]

Ok Wendy
Checking in
All your talk about eating right put me back on track
Started a diet and exercise program a lil while back
Lost 10 lbs so far
33 to go
:)

Jon

hang10tiki and it worked too.

TikiHula so far I've remembered to take those off for photos. I'll remind you next time.
You want my mind in the gutter?

hang10tiki that's terrific. I'm also practicing getting up off the floor with my hands held up above my head. It's easier slimmer.
Congratulations.

=======================================================================================

The kiln is open.

Top Shelf.

Bottom Shelf.

The Witch Doctor mug that I re-glazed turned out really well. We really like Hawaiian Eye.

Coconut Tiki Bob bowl is now in Dan's collection. His motto is "will work for tikis".

Slowpoke the Alien Tiki Bob is now in Dan's collection. His motto is "you can never have enough tikis".

The Frankoma Goblet didn't turn out. It's a hot mess out of the hot kiln. I'm glazing it again. Dan said, NO Thanks!

The glaze did separate but overall it just didn't look good.

Doing the eyebrows was a big mistake.

That's it for this load but I'm working to glaze another. What do you think? Wendy

E

The Coconut Tiki Bob bowl may be one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen!
(If it went "walkabout," do you think Dan would miss him?)
e.

T

I agree, Coconut Bob is fantastic looking. Wow, good to see the Dan & Wendy Show go back to its PG roots... I was wondering what was going to show up next?!?!?!?

Good stuff all around. The Frankoma mug didn't look THAT off to me, but Dan's eyes know.....

Look forward to seeing how it looks after you refire it!

Yep you guessed it I am firing a small load. Sometimes I can't wait.

:lol: That's what I love about my small kiln :lol: (still haven't changed my elements - someday :D )

Thanks for the shout out Wendy! September means back to school for us teachers and it's the busiest month of the year. June is 2nd busiest. Your thread has me really wanting to get artsy. I think October is the month I get back to the clay. I have open access and it's a sin not to take advantage.

I need to hear more about the healthy eating plan. Neck pain had me not going to the gym all summer. I'm almost ready to go back but I really need to work my eating. I love to snack. Drinking tiki drinks doesn't help the waistline either but it does a lot for one's mood! Any tips from you or Jon are most welcome.

I almost forgot. You asked for a picture of your painting in it's new home. (I'll post it here and on the art swap thread.) It's hanging in my Gator hut right near the Moai wall hanging you made me.

Wendy!

First of all, I would like to thank you for telling Horrors in Clay to send me the best of the 6 variants you sculpted! I won't have a permanent place for the mug until the remodel is finished, and below is a picture of its temporary location. Secondly, the crawl mugs look great! I can't wait to have my own!

Best,

Kraken Hunter Steve

ebtiki it's like having a fun party to read all these messages. Tiki Bob and I thank you. It's good to hear compliments because I make so many Tiki Bob's on the side that I always fear everyone will tire of him.

TikiAno glad you like the coconut bowl too. I think I liked the goblet even less than Dan. I'm layering a glaze on top so I don't know what it will look like next. It makes opening the kiln more fun.

I guess I have a thread that is full of fun posts for every taste. R rated is back on this page with KrakenHunterSteve's kickstarter topless mug. Oh No!

MadDogMike we have three cars (one inherited from my dad) that are close to 19, 17 and 12 years old. When one bites the dust I'll use the garage space and get a small kiln so I can fire a few things each day instead of waiting until I have a full kiln.

Fix your kiln so we can have more fun MadDogMike shows.

LoriLovesTiki please do get back to work on your ceramics. I need more threads to watch. (Little Lost Tiki start posting again.)
Teachers do have really hard jobs. I did some job fairs at high schools to promote Nuclear Medicine and the kids asked really hard questions.

My health plan is by Dr. Ornish. I bought his books on-line. I did it for 1 year and now I'm taking a semi-break by eating some good oils.

LoriLovesTiki I knew my painting was large but it's really large in the photo. Please know I did it for fun so you can always trade it in the future. The goof gives me the creeps.

KrakenHunterSteve It's great to see one of the kickstarter mugs in it's new home. Are you coming to our Sacramento crawl or am I shipping your mug? If I'm shipping PM your address to me ASAP. I'm boxing mugs that have to be shipped now.

============================================================================================================

I was back to glazing. Meet Beehive Tiki Bob.

I finished the three layers of goldenrod and cleaned up. Then I noticed the lid on the other side of the table.

Oh well got everything back out and went to work.

This glaze isn't supposed to have chunks so I may have a surprise coming when it fires.

The next day I added some black to the bee.

I worked on the faces and when they were dry I

covered them with 2 layers of clear. Bob's take a lot of work.

The bowl is fine with or without the lid. I just wanted to have the lines on the bowl match the lines carved on the Bob's. After I did that it looked like a beehive honey pot.

More glazing tomorrow. Thank you all for the comments which are greatly appreciated. Cheers, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2014-09-17 20:39 ]

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2014-09-17 20:42 ]

Looking forward to the glaze on that...it's the Beeez Kneeez!!!

VampiressRN sometimes I'm surprised with how the glaze looks on a piece. I cross my fingers a lot!

===========================================================================

I'm not sure what I should call this bowl. Any Suggestions? The outside is bamboo. On the inside it is islands with volcano's and one island with Moai statues.

This required a lot of different glazes.

I started with the bottom and the sides.

Then the inside of the bowl.

Next the Moai and a few big rocks.

All done.

Second view.

This is enough for the bottom of the kiln. Now I need to glaze more for the top shelf.

Every day is a tiki day. Cheers, Wendy

P

In a way it kind of reminds me of the Rano Raraku crater. On Easter Island you can go to the Rano Raraku quarry site where all of the Moai were carved and many Moai are embedded in the hillsides. But you can also go inside the Rano Raraku volcano crater where there is a lake and more Moai embedded along the banks of the crater. I have pictures of it. I'll try to find and post them this weekend.

Wendy- looks awesome
PiPhiRho- hope to see it in person someday

T

How about (for the name of bow), "Bamboozled"?

PiPhiRho thank you for this information. I hope you can find the photos to post here. I'd love to see them shared.
I see you are from Redondo Beach. Do you know Kohalacharms?

hang10tiki what kind of fun have you been having?

TikiAno or Rano Raraku Bamboozled?

====================================================

I did the fancy photos for my Gallery section.

The real colors show up better in this photo.

================================================================

This paperback book just arrived. It's next on Dan's list for reading.

=================================================================
This incredible lamp arrived in the mail too. It was made by Tiki501 aka Jamie. We made a trade and Dan and I are thrilled.

We figured out where to hang it today but it will take a ladder and so we'll work on it this weekend.

==========================================================

I have more work done on the back log. More photos tomorrow. Cheers, Wendy

E

That's a gorgeous lamp!

Awesome lamp

The lamp is beautiful and sturdy and only weighs 10 pounds so sheet rock will hold it. We hope to hang it this weekend in the jungle tiki room. It's fun to share Tiki501's skills here. Wendy

So many Bob's!!! LOL

Love the lamp, especially the bottom.

ebtiki

hang10tiki

VampiressRN

I thank you on behalf of Tiki501. If anyone needs a lamp he's a very nice person and a talented lamp maker. Every time someone starts making mugs I love to watch. I hope all the lamp makers will invite Jamie into their group.

===============================================

Vamp you are right. Whenever I have down time I cast a Tiki Bob and play with him. So many ideas just waiting for the right time.

A long time ago MP invented the Suggering Bastard Bob. It looked different from mine but I still asked his permission to use the idea. He granted permission and I have made, with this one, a total of four. I always marvel that they haven't blown up in the kiln with the amount of clay I've added to the Tiki Bob body. One air bubble and KaBoom!

Here are the colors I used. It will end up glossy black with gold specks.

I was asked by Mondo-by-the-bay to do a drunken Tiki Bob. I did this one at the same time and now it's getting glazed.
I decided to do a beautiful turquoise blue.

Now the drunken Tiki Bob and Suffering Bastard Bob were put out to dry out. I see something black on his nose and go in for a close up.

It's this fly and got a couple of photos

I did this three hula girl with cannibal pot a while back. It will be blue/brown when it's fired.

This actually took a couple of days because of the three layer rule.

Top shelf of the kiln and firing away.

Lot's of Tiki Bob's to come. Cheers, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2014-09-20 20:32 ]

Bob in the house.......

hang10tiki when you don't comment here each day I worry about you being lost in the desert. Thank you for letting me know you're OK.

=======================================================

I opened the kiln and Dan helped me unload it. Every time a piece came out he said, "I want this, may I have it?" He's kept every single thing that was in this load. That's why I do the Wish List, those orders he can not touch!

Top Shelf.

The Frankoma Kings Goblet. It looks creepy older now.

Suffering Bastard Bob.

Intoxicated Bob.

The three hula girls at the cannibal pot.

Bottom Shelf.

Beehive Bob Bowl with lid.

The other Easter Islands bowl.

Now I need to take the black velvet photos for my Gallery pages before these disappear into Dan's collection.

How did I do ATP?

Cheers, Wendy

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 10816 replies