Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Wendy Cevola - New colors of the Frank mug by Frankoma now available.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 10,816 replies

S

Everything in this kiln load looks great Wendy, i'm not surprised Dan wants to keep them all for himself. I think the Frankoma Kings Goblet looks good and i especially like the glaze on the Suffering Bastard Bob and the Hula Girls Cannibal Pot.

Crazy output Wendy, love the Hula girls at the Cannibal pot, bowl!
Dan needs to stop hording all the good stuff.

Wow
They all look great
Love the hula girl bowl color
The giant 3 Moai bowl is sweeeeet
Dan-0 is one lucky Tiki Man

Here is a photo of the inside of the Rano Raraku crater. You have to enlarge it a bit to see the Moai embedded in the hillsides behind the lake. The other side of the ridge is where the quarry is.

Everything looks great, but I especially like that moai bowl Wendy!

Love your new lamp so much - 501 is super talented.

T

Wow, great kiln unload photos! I absolutely love that blue glaze on the Hula Girl Cannibal pot. And Intoxicated Bob. And Suffering Bob, and... okay, fine. Looks great all around. So there. :)

Dan's a lucky one! Look forward to seeing more to come....

Add me to the list of people who are jealous of Dan and all his newest acquisitions! I know you make him work hard for them though!

swizzle thank you so much. I admire your work often. Keep on posting please.

Atomic Tiki Punk it really takes a lot of months to get this far. I'm so happy you like them. Dan is a collector. He told me today I am now his favorite tiki ceramic artist. It took four years to get there.

hang10tiki I'm having fun saying thank you. Dan earns his tikis with all the work I have him do. I have one more load to go.

PiPhiRho that photo is so cool. I wish I'd done some Moai on their backs. Maybe next time.

TikiHula Tiki501 is a perfectionist. That lamp is beautiful from every direction. He is talented.
I'm so glad the bowl has been well received. It from the sculpt for the Missionary's Downfall bowl that put me through hell years ago. I didn't toss it after I sawed it in half. I wanted at least one bowl from it.

TikiAno I'm still glazing. I hope to fire in a couple of days. I think I first saw you use that glaze so I dug out the jar. You've done some very special glazing.

I think of you often because I catch Dan putting your chocolate powder in his coffee.

LoriLovesTiki that is so true. He's able to honestly say he works on tiki art 7 days a week. Right now he's working on placing all his new acquisitions into his collection Tiki arranging is his favorite part of the hobby. I'm glad I found some new places for him recently.

=========================================================================

We hung Tiki501's seahorse lamp. It's so wonderful.

Dan and I decided that we had a place that was begging for Jamie's lamp. It was across from the entrance to the tiki jungle room.

Here's the lamp waiting.

He sent us a whole bunch of different colors bulbs. This one was green.

In the end Dan wanted the lamp to be bright to show it off so he chose the while bulb.

The bottom is beautiful too.

We didn't know how much we needed this lamp but now we have it and it looks terrific.

Thank you Tiki501 aka Jamie. He's for hire folks. Cheers, Wendy

The lamp looks great

I forgot to say that the lamp is gorgeous! I couldn't believe how large it was when I saw the picture of you holding it. Amazing.

hang10tiki and LoriLovesTiki

I know Tiki501 will be happy with all the wonderful comments about his lamp. He did an outstanding job.

============================================================

I took all the black velvet photos before Dan could run off with all his "paycheck". Now I'll add them to may Gallery thread.

==============================================================

I'll stop for tonight. I have new projects to post tomorrow. Cheers, Wendy

Wow
Amazing once again

T

That is a fantastic lamp- get to notice even more detail with it being lit up. Wowzers. Also great seeing the Jungle Room with all the lights on (and off)- love it.

And now, a note of advice from one married man to another: Dan.

Dan, while you and Wendy have been married for a while longer than my wife and myself, I can only imagine what would happen if I said to the tune of, "You (to her, not to you, Dan) are NOW my favorite ________." I'd first have to duck, then run!

Okay, I wouldn't have to run that far since she's on bedrest, but I'd still have to duck since something would be flying through the air at my head. Thankfully, she's not a great pitcher so I'm probably still safe.

Okay, just kidding. :) Dan, you're one lucky guy...

Wendy, thanks very much for your kind words re: glazing.

hang10tiki ((((:

TikiAno he gets in plenty of trouble but not over making me wait to number 1. I really still feel that Gecko'z originals keep him in that spot. Dan's just being sweet since he robbed the kiln loads.

====================================================================

The last batch of bisque to be glazed before we prepare the house for the Sacramento Crawl.

This Zombie Torch mugs have been waiting for a year since I started with pouring the molds.

These are the last of the Tiki Bob's that I made during downtime when the kiln was firing.

Now I've started the Tiki G repair. Fingers crossed that I can make this stable and look decent. First I cut out clay
to widen the cracks.

I'll let it sit a few days to see if any more areas crack or widen.

Am I the only one or does this remind you of GROG too?

========================================================================

Another day and it's time to glaze the insides of the Zombie Torch mugs. I fill them up to the top and let it sit for 10 seconds and then I pour into the next mug. I put the first one in a vase to continue to drain. I top off the glaze in the other mug.

Sometimes I miss and make a mess. The mug that has shiny gloss black down it's side will have a dark glaze applied that will cover this over and make it disappear.

Each one of these will be done in a different glaze. The are all 1/1's.

Thank you for the visit. Wendy

G
GROG posted on Wed, Sep 24, 2014 5:19 PM

Yep. Definitely looks like GROG. Including the big crack in the chest.

G
GROG posted on Wed, Sep 24, 2014 5:20 PM

Double post. Damitall.

[ Edited by: GROG 2014-09-24 17:21 ]

On 2014-09-24 17:20, GROG wrote:
Double post. Damitall.

[ Edited by: GROG 2014-09-24 17:21 ]

"Damn it all"

• The Spelling Police
G
GROG posted on Wed, Sep 24, 2014 8:00 PM

Ha ha ha. :lol:

At least he spelled "Ha ha ha." correctly and added the obligatory laughing smiley.

GROG double the post, double the fun. Only the chest looked like yours. You be way more handsome than the Zombie.

lunavideogames I bet you look good in your spelling police outfit.

GROG Ha ha ha.

VampiressRN see you soon.

===================================================================

I'm now working on the last batch from the dining room table.

This is the Moai at the bamboo jungle.

The Moai is the same one I use for wall hangings. I originally sculpted it for Roge's chunk lamps.

I picked out these colors. I hope they work out. Concepts by Duncan are underglazes that do not move but still come out glossy.

He gets to be set aside now to wait for his friends to catch up.

The Sacramento Crawl is coming up soon. My goal is to finish this last batch and then get the house ready. Dan is working on the yard.

Cheers, Wendy

T

Love the new Moai mug- and can't wait to see that glaze fired! (as always). I really need to start using underglazes more, thanks for the (continued) inspiration!

Have fun on the crawl, look forward to seeing photos.

Me like Moai

TikiAno if you do under glazes be sure to wet the bisque piece really well. Then do your layers of glaze and when it is dry cover with Duncan Brilliance. The other clear glaze they have is faulty and will make the underglazes run. I ruined a bunch of Bob's when they looked like they had make up running under them.

My fingers are crossed that it turns out.

hang10tiki have you been hanging out with GROG? You sound like a cave man, very sexy.

===============================================

This post is called misc. catch up.

Our friend Joanne came to town on business so I let her pick up her Sacramento Crawl mug early. Saving on shipping is so nice. She promised to hide it away until the crawl is over.

I picked out all these new glazes for the rest of the Zombie Torches that I have to glaze.

I saw these earings made of shells. They should make really interesting inset eye for a tiki. I'll do that in the future.

Dan picked out a nice spot for a pot and palm tree. I told him the wind would blow it over and break it. He didn't listen to me and so I got a "I told you so" moment but it didn't repair the pot.

Then California got some rain and we remembered to use brooms to keep the water shedding off the roof. After the crawl we'll put this away. It has to dry first so that it doesn't mildew.

=================================================================

Back to glazing. This time I did Big Palm Tiki Bob.

I chose this many glaze colors for this one mug.

I did the inside and bottom as if they were water.

The rest of the background is sky.

Then I did Bob's face and started on the palm tree.

I didn't forget the clear glaze, I just forgot to take another photo.

I hope you all have a great weekend.

Cheers, Wendy

It must be the weekend and everyone is out having a good time. I sincerely hope so. May it be the best weekend ever.

We are getting ready for the Sacramento Crawl but meantime I have projects to share. Here they are...

This is Flame Tiki Bob with his removable flame. I used Duncan Concepts that is a non-moving but bendable underglaze.

Oh, I did get a photo of Big Palm with his green clear glazed face. After the first red glaze I dried them well.

Back in the house I added yellow glaze to the body and flame.

Then its back to the green clear glaze.

=================

You've all met Muskrat this summer as he works on his backyard. He does outstanding work.
He requested that I change this years crawl mug to match his bar. Here it is, his Wish.

=================

After carving the cracks larger on Tiki G's mug I because to force Elmer's wood glue into the cracks.

What a mess.

Then carefully I wiped off the excess.

As it dries it will shrink. I will need to do this multiple times. It must completely dry between applications.

==================

Now it's time to work on the house. We must fine tune it for the Sacramento Crawl.

Cheers, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2014-09-27 13:32 ]

M

i haven't had a chance to check in here for a few weeks and when i do, look what i get.
wendy, the mug looks amazing, cant wait to fill er' up.
oh and by the ways, we aren't hosting the crawl this year but will be for sure next year. we'll hafta have you and dan over for a personal tour.

Lookin good

muskrat I keep mixing you up with Tiki Tonie and Dale. They came for the first time to our home the same week you came over. Ever since then I can't keep you two straight. I love watching your work on TC. We'll look forward to a visit in the future. Meanwhile see you once again at our home at the crawl.

hang10tiki I wish you and Janelle and all my friends here on TC were coming to the crawl. What a blast that would be.

==========================================

I've been busy cleaning out the house of unnecessary things as I prepare for our crawl. Our lawn is ugly and dead because we follow the rules put in place because of the drought. We had a tiny bit of rain and were very thankful to have any.

Now I've done a real Tiki Bob wearing his Shriner hat. This time the hat is not removable.

These are the glaze colors that I chose.

Three layers all over Bob and then I wiped it off the raised parts of the hat.

I did those areas with a yellow gold underglaze. I finished off the tassel and his face.

Then clear where needed.

Here's the tassel.

Dan keeps wiggling his fingers at these new Bob's. I think I'll lose another kiln load. Cheers, Wendy

Wow
Love that Bob
Lucky Dan-0
:)

T

Wendy, love love love the new Bobs (well, and the old Bobs, too). :wink: Thanks for the underglaze tips. I haven't played with underglazes too much, but I've been warned to not use them on bisque ware if the pieces are very dry- they need some moisture to "adhere."

The owners/ managers of the clay studio where I'm a member have a large batch of clear glaze. Haven't tried it yet, but hope to start playing with some soon.

Thanks for posting, and have fun on the Crawl! And I hope Dan starts letting the rest of the world have your mugs. Ha! :)

Love the Bob Fezhead.

hang10tiki I was thinking about our visit to see you in Las Vegas today. We'll have to try to visit again when Janelle is home.

TikiAno that is so right about the bisque. I just put the bisque tiki under the facet first. I'm trying to get Mahalo Tiki to do some underglazed mugs.

VampiressRN Fezheads a good name that I wish I'd thought of in time.

==============================================

The last Tiki Bob to do is Viking Bob.

These are all the colors chosen for him.

He's a blond and even though the glaze looks black it will come out the yellow shown on my glaze test strip.

To give him more of a fierce expression this Bob has eyebrows. His ax has a skull decoration.

All glazed and modeling for you!

Ready to dry for the kiln fire.

=================================

Next will be work on the remaining Zombie Torches minus one that was destroyed. I'll still make another one because the flame is made and waiting.

Cheers, Wendy

Viking Bob looks cool
Dan-0 needs a hat like that
:)

T

Oh, wait, I forgot to add clear glaze (and a beard):

[ Edited by: TikiAno 2014-09-29 23:39 ]

Ano- good 1

Viking Bob looks fierce!

hang10tiki thank you for putting that thought into another head.

TikiAno I love to hear Dan laugh and you sure brought that on. He looks really cute. Thank you.

hang10tiki I second that.

LoriLovesTiki you are right he's a warrior.

===============================================

For many days now the repair work on the Swap mug for Tiki has continued.

It takes a lot of layers before the cracks are filled.

This mug had cracks everywhere.

The GROG view. Cutie.

After days of filling it was time to sand the areas as flat as I could without making the paint peel.

I wiped it down all over and checked to see if the areas were flat.

Now it's ready to paint.

He's a very dark green with white teeth and a gold earring.

I did the flames and background.

Actually I repainted the entire mug.

The colors are not the same because the paints I used back then are no longer with me. I chose the best I could.
I thought I was done but then I remembered the palm trees.

Now it's done.

I went to see if I could seal it with concrete sealer but my can which cost $75 was too old and had turned to thick sludge.

I found a new product called ceramic sealer. I tested it on another Sculpey mug and it worked. So this mug is now sealed and drying. Tiki G it will be coming home soon. Keep it warm indoors and it hopefully won't crack again.

The Sacramento Crawl is getting very close! Cheers, Wendy

Love that Viking Bob Wendy :)

T
TikiG posted on Wed, Oct 1, 2014 1:19 PM

Wow Wendy - I'm so Thankful for your attention to detail with the restoration effort its a joy to see the pictures posted showing the process. I'm so happy with the results I must say, with much respect, Thank You again! Take care, G

MadDogMike hey maybe that will be a theme at Tiki Oasis in a few years. I'd like to see you in that costume!

TikiG if you get the chance post a photo here with you and the mug. It should be in your hands in a few days. I sure hope it doesn't get sticky again. Thank you for the compliments they are appreciated.

===================================================

Now that the Tiki Bob's have been glazed its time to work on the Zombie Torches. I'm one short but I'll fix that in the future.
These are all 1/1's with each a different color.

These are all one color front and back.

I made a mug version without the flame when the top miscast.

Some dark glazes change when fired.

Each of these will be a unique color, no two the same.

The Tiki Bob's have been drying outside and

every so often a tray of Zombie Torches join them.

Next up they'll go into the kiln. I have to make sure they are dry inside and out and on the bottom.

Cheers, Wendy

Kiln time

hang10tiki here's the kiln as I loaded it. Did I fulfill your wish?

===============================

I was super lucky that all of the Zombie Torch mugs fit on the bottom shelf. They are far too tall for a second layer.

When I went to put in the Tiki Bob's I found that the thermal couple that controls the temperature was right at the level of the next shelf. It's best to have it clear by 2 inches. Humm what to do?

I pulled the shelf forward leaving a gap.

Then I used the shelf as the support and only had to get a taller post to support the back of the shelf. Success!

I loaded in all the Tiki Bob's and their heads just cleared the lid. Success again! A good day all around.

=====================================================

As I type I can hear Dan vacuuming downstairs. We are doing the final touch ups for the Sacramento Crawl which begins tomorrow.
We are so anxious to see everyone. This is such a fun event.

Here's something that didn't work out.

A few years ago I won two strands of vintage Moai string lights.

I didn't realize they were really big Moai's. We walked all over our home and couldn't find a place to hang them. So back in the closet.

=================================================

Before I started ceramics I would make Dan bowls out of Sculpey clay. What I didn't know at the time was that after a year the oil in this clay would seep through the enamel paint and make it very sticky. I found after scores of experiments that a very expensive concrete sealer would fix it.

After repairing Tiki G's mug I found that the concrete sealer was no longer usable. But I did have this spray. It worked at least for awhile.

Dan said let's do all the things you made 4 plus years ago. He hauled them out to the garage and

I sprayed them all. It would be wonderful if the stickies go away. This is the first time I'd seen so many of these pieces together in one place.

======================================================

IT'S TIME FOR A CONTEST. I WILL SEND ONE OF MY PUFFER FISH NECKLACES TO THE WINNER.

I WANT YOU TO GUESS THE NUMBER OF MILES ON OUR PT CRUISER.

IT IS A 2003. THE CLOSEST TO THE NUMBER WINS. HINT 5 NUMBERS.

YOU HAVE UNTIL MIDNIGHT SUNDAY OCTOBER 5TH TO POST YOUR GUESS HERE.

======================================================

My turn to vacume. Cheers, Wendy

I'd really love to win that puffer necklace!

But I don't know what to guess. Here goes nothing -

97,486 (I would have thought it would be more in 11 years but you said 5 digits.)

fingers crossed

T
Tattoo posted on Thu, Oct 2, 2014 5:44 PM

Hmmmm.... 84376 miles!

T

Hmmmm....I'll be over in a few minutes to take a peek in the garage :wink: Ok I'm not even entering a guess...good luck to everyone.

5 digits is correct. I took a photo of the odometer before I started the contest. I'll post this photo with the winner's name.

Good Luck everyone. Cheers, Wendy

A

Ooh, a random 87534 :)

Love this pic
A table full of Tiki sweetness

I'll say 69,001

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 10816 replies