Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Wendy Cevola - New colors of the Frank mug by Frankoma now available.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 10,816 replies

taxi home
:)

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2015-02-16 22:15 ]

hang10tiki living in a city like Las Vegas that never sleeps would be pretty exciting if you didn't need sleep. You two sure have fun. I wish I were so young.

===============================

More days on the island of Maui, Hawaii.

We traveled a few minutes south to Lahina. In 1998 I bought a shirt at Cheeseburger in Paradise and it was still in operation.

We walked along the ocean in the town until we came upon

some carvers. What beautiful Honu. hang10tiki I see a turtle I think of you.

The prices were so high compared to the Don the Beachcomber's Marketplace Dan decided to save his money for shopping in California. Of course there's our trip to see Maui Rob and Beachbumz's coming up. I wonder what they have for sale.

We had lunch at Kimo's so we could get a slice of Hula Pie. Oh my gosh it's so good that my heart is going to be in trouble.

In a window we saw a drive to Hana t-shirt. We had decided that once was enough. Little did I know I was going to find a worse road and be trapped for 3 hours. But that's a different day.

There were rocks balanced for all to view. I think a man was working for tips but was gone when we got there.

We returned to our room for a nap for Dan and a book for me. Surprise! The book mentioned that song that the restaurant was named after just having photographed it a few hours back. The book was from 1994 and I'd bought it used. Imagine that!!!

Each day I would get up and sit here to post on Tiki Central. I had a wonderful view and Dan fed the birds.

The next 5 photos are all taken at the Iao Needle. We walked on every path we could find. We met a retired police officer there with his young son. He said his career was on Oahu but now his life is in Maui. Oahu = heavy crime and Maui = little crime. I guess Hawaii 5-O is right on.

On the way back to our hotel we stopped at Maui Plantation to walk the beautiful grounds.

Back at the hotel I photographed a tiki they had as decoration for the stage. I thought what a good tiki to make a mug of. I was to find that this had already been done to perfection by Maui Rob. Did some come home with us? Stay tuned.

==========================

I am having such a fun time making Tiki Wahine's Tiki Bob Marley. That will be up as soon as I'm done posting our trip photos. Lynn gave me such a challenge. Last year her's was Rat Fink at Disneyland.

This years is even harder! Cheers, Wendy

Looks like you guys had a great vacation! I am heading to Oahu then Maui at the end of April. Looking forward to it!

Awesome honu
Awesome Hula Pie, mmmmm
Love all the photos
Need more, need more, more...

Treg- can't wait for your double island trip pics too

Hula pie = yummy!

R

Wendy & Dan - The trip photos are fun to see. Other than Kimo's, I remember being at every spot you posted photos at...so its really cool seeing you and Dan in the same spots....including the bar at Ka'anapali Beach Hotel. Thats one place you can still get served a drink in a coconut.

Don't hesitate to post more Maui photos as people like myself really enjoy seeing your travels.

Wendy-your right about the pattern on the plane looking like the mug...funny. You are also a dear for going back and answering my question...thanks!

lunavideogames Oahu is the island of choice. You could visit Gecko'z and La Mariana. There's so much to do there. Maui is more relaxing. You could visit Maui Rob and Beachbumz. Save up because these guys have excellent tiki mugs. I hope you'll share your photos here or at least give us the link.

hang10tiki that pie is a real killer.

hang10tiki where is GROG?

LoriLovesTiki Florida sounds great. We loved our time there seeing the Mai Kai and visiting Benzart and zerostreet.
Maybe you can find a hula pie there.

RVICTOR gosh I didn't see anyone drinking from a coconut on our whole trip. We did see a stand for them on our drive from the airport. Eye just looked at your thread. It's so much fun to watch you work.

I have to leave for the dentist, back later with photos. Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2015-02-18 09:51 ]

Wendy, I like Oahu best but it seems like everyone I talk to asks why I would go there and not Kauai... I like to have stuff to do, I like the action as well as the tropical scenery. My wife and I went to the Big Island a few times, the first time was for 2 weeks. I was really bored since everything closed early. I am a night owl so if there is nothing to do in the night time I get really antsy. It seems like everyone else prefers to just relax but I already live in San Diego so I have plenty of time to relax.

I hope that Maui is fun, I will make it fun! Of course I am going to see Gecko and Beachbumz and La Mariana might be our first stop even before checking in to our hotel. I will post some pictures for you as well.

lunavideogames I'm like you. Oahu is the happening place. Kauai is wonderful for gardens. On Maui if it is your first time the road to Hana and back is around 6-7 hours but everyone needs to do it once. Don't bother going around the other volcano. Just watch my photos and you'll see the best parts other than Hana we choose not to do it again.

======================================

We are afraid of being late so on our way to Kihei to have lunch with Maui Rob and Beachbumz we went exploring in that town.

At a tourist craft fair on the main road into Kihei we found this closed booth. Wow! I will forever wonder how much these would cost to buy and to ship. We are so lucky to have great carvers right in California and Florida just to mention a few states.

Then we went to the Hawaiian quilting and fabric shop. I picked out this material to make a table cloth. I need more time in each day.

We went down the road and found the Tiki Lounge where we were to meet the men. Next door was the International Marketplace, Maui.

The first purchase was this mask. The lady turned out to be Beachbumz mother-in-law.

Then we found Beachbumz's wife in there shop.

Dan was in heaven.

These were 2 of the mugs he needed for his collection.

We said goodbye and headed back to the restaurant.

We found a good seat and waited for the men to arrive.

Maui Rob and Beachbumz, yippie now we are having fun.

Beachbumz aka Scott brought us a couple of his necklaces. Perfection.

Scott wanted us to all pose for photos for Tiki Magazine.

This is the one I hope he submits, it's my favorite.

After lunch we followed Maui Rob to his office to see his tiki overflow. Later in the week we will see the men's homes and there complete collections.

Aloha friends and Mahalo for the visit. Wendy

PS I'm making great headway on the Wish List

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2015-02-18 13:51 ]

Wow
You two are in Tiki heaven......

Those tikis are huge

The wife likes the quilting shop photo

Love the pics....

M

Wow great Photos, it was fun to have you over!

R

Swweeeeeet! Tiki Heaven is in Kehei right? Great pics. Next time I am there I will have to make it a point to check out one of Rob's tours.

We went to lunch at the Tiki Lounge with Rob & Scott too and it was a highlight of our time on Maui! I won't be back in Maui anytime soon so post tons of pictures!!!

hang10tiki those were huge. I wish the artist had been there with loaded tables. No such luck.
The fabric store was the best ever. The warehouse by the airport had much cheaper fabric that was low quality.

MauiTiki we had a blast visiting with you two. So much so I forgot to see your work spaces with your kilns. Oh no, we'll have to return someday.

RVICTOR yes it was tiki heaven.

LoriLovesTiki a highlight for sure.

==========================================

Here are a couple more days on the island of Maui, Hawaii.

We started out to look for the blow hole up north of Kaanapoli. When we got there we couldn't find parking. The scourge of tourism. I thought let's continue on. We had never driven this far north.

We enjoyed the view and

even stopped for a selfie.

Before long the road became a single lane but we continued on.

Higher and higher and every so often we were on a very narrow lane with a cliff on one side. Of course that's when traffic going the opposite direction would come nose to nose with us. I was always the one to backup looking for a wider space so they could squeeze by. I had to get so close to the mountain side that I was moving vegetation.

Just like Hana we could only go at 10 to 20 miles an hour. However going to Hana there are two lanes except on bridges.

Taking photos was not easy because staying alert was important. At some curves I honked before going around and I swear it saved us one time. We only ran into 5 cars in close to 3 hours on this road before we were back in civilization. This is a drive that's fun one time but never again.

Back in town we stopped at Walmart to buy a photo memory card. This island sure does love it's SPAM. When I was a kid my mom fried it and we loved it too. Dan has never had a beard. On this trip I hid his razor and said, "let it grow".

On another day we went to Kula gardens. This is one place I took hundreds of photos. Someday when lifting molds doesn't work for us I will once again start to paint. I will have many reference photos to use by then.

The garden is owned by a family and they love tikis. Every so often in the garden you will find one, two or three. I'm not sharing them because if you ever go finding them is such a treat.

You just follow the many paths and enjoy a real Hawaii paradise. This was our favorite place.

===================================================

Thank you for letting me share. Soon I'll be posting the Wish List progress. Cheers, Wendy

That Bird of Paradise is very cool!

They sure have some krAZy plants there

:lol:

Wow, I'm just catching up on this thread. Wendy, your work is truly amazing! One of these days we'll have to get in on some of your beautiful mugs.

And thanks for all the Vacation pictures. I'm not a big Maui person, but you sure make it look good.

(Thanks to you too for the photos, too, Hang10 - we never make it to the Double Down anymore; too addicted to Frankie's! Heading back next Week!)

R

Wendy-This past summer we actually drove that north road and the road into Hana on the same day. My wife said the same thing about that road being more dangerous. That was one trip I was glad to have dropped the extra coin and rented the Jeep.

R

Wendy-This past summer we actually drove that north road and the road into Hana on the same day. My wife said the same thing about that road being more dangerous. That was one trip I was glad to have dropped the extra coin and rented the Jeep.

T

Wow, I miss TC for a few days bc of work, and come back and enjoy some Cevola Maui time- well, and Jon's Vegas photos, too.

Beautiful photos, thanks for posting!

LoriLovesTiki the flowers of Hawaii inspire me to paint. If only I had the time.

hang10tiki inspired by Dan's growing beard? You actually made Dan laugh. I think he's cute in this one.

bamalamalu than you so much. I really appreciate everyone who reads this thread. I spend a lot of time here. I enjoy all the posts and making art for so many collectors. 13 days would have been perfect, 17 days caused us to repeat too much.

RVICTOR you must have been tired after that day, wow. So you could go around without retracing your steps in a jeep. I would have gone to Hana if I could have gone all the way around.

============================================

More days on the island of Maui, Hawaii. Our travel agent is Woo Hoo Wahine here on Tiki Central. If you ever need help with a trip she's the one to hire. You don't need to live near her for the job to be well done.

Woo Hoo gave us a $100 gift certificate to use at Mama's Fish House. This place is so well guarded. First you must have a reservation to even park! We passed the first place and the valet took our car away. Then we went to a desk where they checked our reservation and when it was found they let us pass through the gate.

The first tiki we saw was this one. Who made the mug that matches it? Please post a photo.

We walked the trail to paradise. The ocean there was rough on rocks and stunningly beautiful.

The restaurant faces this view.

We walked through this arch to the next sentry.

We were confirmed and taken to our seats at a window. We were thrilled.

We ordered two club soda's $3 each and a crab cake appetizer. $20

A salad for Dan. $20

A salad for myself. $20
C

My entrée $36

My entrée $36

The service, with smiles and personality, was beyond any we have ever had. You use a fork it is removed and replaced. We had all our needs anticipated.

With tax gratuity and parking the lunch (dinner menu had the same prices) was close to $180. Thank you Woo Hoo for this experience. This was the most expensive but exquisite meal of our lives. What made it really special was the best view we had on our trip.

Is there any way to have a meal as good as Mama's Fish House? We tried, we went to Hula's on the Beach.

For lunch we ordered Hula Pie, the second best lunch on the island. We already have this plate hanging in our kitchen at home.

In fact I confess we ordered two. We will be working this off for weeks.

On another day we went to small towns searching for tiki mugs. Here Dan found a green and a raspberry Toby mug.

In an art gallery I think this tiki was $3000.

We drove on past cane fields.

In the next small town he found a Treasure Craft coconut mug that he'd never seen before.

Another tiki for thousands of dollars. Don't we all love our mainland carvers?

Back at the hotel Dan caused a riot feeding the birds some whole grain wheat bread we bought at a store. Dan needed this activity while I post on TC.

Our trip is not yet over I hope you will gain a few ideas if not pounds looking at our photos.

Cheers, Wendy

AlooooooHaaaaaaaaa Wendy!! :wink:
It was great seeing you and Dan here on the island and being able to hang out a little with you two!!
Wish I would have had more time to show you around and visit some of our "secret spots".. :wink:
Loving all the pictures!! :wink:

Wow Dan-0 found quite a few good items...

Yesterday's sunrise

On today's walk it looked like the Vegas volcanoes were angry

Can't wait for more of your photos...

We LOVED Mama's!!! Expensive but worth every penny! Our only regret was that right after we got there the sun went down and we didn't get to walk the beach in front of the restaurant. Next time we'll go earlier. In the summer the sun sets in NJ late, close to 9pm before it's finally dark. We were surprised to find out how early the sun set in Hawaii in August.

Woohoo! I'm so happy that you & Dan got to go to Mama's. It is an Experience :)

Beachbumz a good reason to return one day how about in 2020? Dan loves your mugs and Maui Rob's arrived yesterday. I get to open the boxes soon. Dan has to wait for an occasion. More photos of our visit with you two soon.

hang10tiki the trip was good in every way but the visit with Beachbumz and Maui Rob were the best times for the whole time.

I love sunsets and sunrises and how fun that you see them on your mornigh walks. We watched Anthony Bordain in Las Vegas last night and thought of you.

LoriLovesTiki oh Lori you have to go at lunch time. The ocean was spectacular.

WooHooWahine thank so much for sending us there. We enjoyed every aspect of this adventure. Even seeing the house that is next to the restaurant. Too bad the owners have so many tourists staring at their home.

===============================

More days on the island of Maui, Hawaii and boy were they fun.

We drove for a couple of hours to get to the national park. We paid our $10 and drove in.

It was 49 degrees outside and the winds were around 100 miles per hour. I thought with a jacket and windbreaker I was prepared.

Look how the wind just pulled Dan's hood off and glued his shorts to his legs. He said he was out of breath by the time he got into the overlook building.

We snapped a selfie with my frozen hand and then he went inside.

I crawed around the base of the building with my side close and snapped photos.

The wind was so strong that I couldn't go near this short wall to take photos.

I would have been blown over. I was lucky to get that one shot before I joined Dan. Then we headed back down.

The next day we headed on foot from our hotel north. Just looking for fun.

Right after finding this tiki pole we found a Don the Beachcombers.

Sad part is that it was gutted and the building used for a luau bar. No decorations.

Later that night we saw this sunset.

Within 10 minutes these photo ops were over. I felt very lucky.

The next day we drove towards the Hana Highway looking for the bamboo forest. We did not find it.
We did find a lot of these signs.

We stopped at a park to watch the ocean.

The wind was fast but it wasn't cold.

During our entire trip the ocean was off limits due to rip tides. We still saw a few surfers and swimmers but we didn't go in.

We found a monk seal taking a nap. Whenever a wave would hit him he looked up and then lowered his head and went back to sleep.

On the way home we stopped at the fabric warehouse. The cloth here wasn't near the quality that was in the quilt shop in Kihei. They did have a wonderful variety of patterns.

We continued on looking for antique stores and thrift shops. We stopped at a CD store. Dan asked if they had any LP's and was sent to the basement.

Nothing was organized and after a few moments Dan gave up and we left.

Dan wanted to use a bathroom but was stopped by the NO TRESSPASSING sign. Not really.

We once again headed towards our hotel. The Maui Plantation is so beautiful we had to stop again. Dan did his hairy tiki face.

It was fun to see baby chicks.

We ran into a tiki carver there but either size or common tourist tikis prevented any from being bought. Beachbumz and Maui Rob still had the best things for sale.

Time to go crash. I'll be back tomorrow. Cheers, Wendy

Crazy wind there......

I'll bet Dan-0 wishes he had a day or two to go through all the records

hang10tiki it's funny but being overwhelmed prevented him from even trying.

====================================
If you haven't followed the Mr. Tiki's wild ride under general tiki you are missing some fun.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=35612&forum=1&start=0&421

Here's my post from today.

Mr. Tiki II has had a rough journey. He checked into our field hospital for treatment of his injured feet.

After some careful debridement I applied

tiki pigment and let him rest.

The next day he visited the danlovestikis tiki jungle room.

Now that he has recuperated he is ready to travel again.

Bye Mr. Tiki II we'll miss you. Wendy and Dan

=========================================

More days on the beautiful island or Maui, Hawaii

Today we walked north from Kaanapoli Beach.

We were on our way to Duke's.

On the way there we passed tents with people yelling in them. We found out it was Super Bowl days. Everyone was looking at TV's rather than the ocean. Poor souls.

Along our walk we passed tiki and

more tikis and

more tikis. We were impressed with how many tikis we saw compared to 1998.

=============================
The next day we were off to see Beachbumz and Maui Rob at their homes.
This is Beachbumz's home.

Some of his outstanding art.

His backyard bar. He fed us cream filled doughnut balls and then we left and went to..,

Maui Robs home.

This is Rob.

These are his works of tiki art that went home with us. Beachbumz I'll show yours when we are home.

Thank you Beachbumz and MauiRob for making our trip so very special.

In Robb's front yard there is a trampoline and Scott's son is very good on it.

Robb showed us all the gecko's.

Scott modeled his tiki shorts.

When we left them we went to lunch in Kihei. Nope we didn't have this burger.

==================================================

More Maui tomorrow. Wish List people I am working one your projects every day. Soon I'll be posting photos of the progress.

Cheers, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2015-02-22 09:27 ]

What no Elvis burger.....

Like the Bearded Dan-0

Great travel pics

Good repair:

hang10tiki you know I created a file for every photoshopped picture posted here. Thank you for adding to it often. Love them.

==================================

littlelosttiki wrote me a note:

========================================
Dearest Wendy!
Where DO you find the time to create and go on adventures and post almost everyday here on Tiki Central? THAT is what blows me away,sweet sister! Thank you so much for all of the inspiration and love and amazement that you bring ALL of us here! and you were in my smiles while i was drawing that bird....how could you not be?

I'll try and get down there in March!
HUGs!

I wrote to him:

You are not only a creative artist. Your writing style is so moving and memorable. I think I'll have to post this on my thread so I can read it often. Thank you art brother. I'm counting on hugs at Marketplace. Wendy

I especially love his painting with birds, thus the content of the note.

More Maui tomorrow, Wendy

Awesome trip and pictures Wendy! Thanks for sharing!

Two days ago it was 70° out, today...

What the....

hang10tiki those are wonderful scary photos. It's never snowed in my area to that depth. Maybe a few flakes fall but melt rapidly. Did you make a snowball? I once froze a ball of hail in my freezer.

zerostreet it's so good to hear from you. We speak often of our visit with you and Benzart. Seeing tiki people on our trips is always the best fun.

==============================================

our Maui, Hawaii trip is getting to the end. I think it will rap up tomorrow. Here's a few more days.
The birds became more acquainted with Dan and started eating from his fingers.

We stopped at a mall to walk around and found this Vespa. Because Tacky Tiki, who loves Vespa's, is a friend we took a few photo for her.

The reason I took 1076 photos on this trip is that I will use so many of them in my art. I love copying tribal tattoos. It was also an excuse to take to young guys about tiki art.

So much of our trip was about looking for the next place to have a meal. This is Lelani's on the beach.

It's kind of funny that there is a hedge that blocks the view of the ocean. Maybe I'm too short to look over.

I found another young man with a tribal tattoo. I could turn both these arms into mugs!

The next day we walked again to Duke's. It about an hours walk from our hotel.

It has a wonderful ocean view.

The next day was cold and overcast. We went to a park with an ocean walk.

I found a penny on the beach. The copped had turned blue.

I love catching waves hitting rocks or

palm trees swaying in the wind.

Believe me there was wind!

After our walk we drove down to Lahina and a restaurant on the beach called Mixed Plate. Korean Barbeque with white rice and macaroni salad. Now that's Hawaiian. Sounds funny but this was our favorite meal at the International Marketplace on Oahu may years ago.

No hula pie here so we had pineapple upside down cake. It was perfect.

A bit of rain and the day ended well.

===========================================

HELP HELP HELP HELP HELp HELP HELP HELp!!!!

Mr. Tiki needs a new location to fly to. Please check out his link to see if you live in new state.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=35612&forum=1&start=0&422

The first person to agree to take him on will receive one of my Honu necklaces in the traveling container upon his arrival.

When he arrives you take a photo and post it to this link which is under General Tiki. Then you send him to the next person who will do the same.

MadDogMike who invented this Wild Ride wants him to be on the move continuously. We all get to watch and enjoy his trip.

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2015-02-23 08:22 ]

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2015-02-24 10:50 ]

I am sure Mr Tiki 2 has had lots of adventures in California, but he might need a vacation to recover. San Diego is nice this time of year, if you don't find any other place for him, we would treat him right down here, just let me know.

Lots of great advice on Maui livin! I am glad you went on a trip out there right before me. Now I know all the places to go. Looks like you guys had tons of fun!

Hang10- snow in Vegas??? I didn't even know it rained :wink:

J

North Carolina needs a visit from Mr. Tiki, and I'd just love to show him around! Let me know if you need my address.

Jen you are a perfect vacation spot for Mr. Tiki. PM your address which I need anyway and I'll send him and your reward necklace for showing him a good time. Thank you lunavideogames. He hasn't been to San Diego yet maybe Jen will confer with Mr. Tiki to see if that's on the itinerary.

Very cool to get these messages so fast. Cheers, Wendy

J

Address sent! Thanks!

T

Great catching up with you and Dan on Saturday. Folks, the Maori lamp is just the most amazing sculpt I've ever seen. I can't get over the detail and the size of it. SO impressive Wendy! This is your masterpiece (as of today anyway) :D

Put me on the list for one Wendy (I won't be in this tiny apartment forever). Everyone needs to order this spectacular piece!

lunavideogames I thank you and Jen for offering hospitality to Mr. Tiki. The allure of sending him across the country was too great too pass up. I will be sending him off today.

The trip was wonderful. It was the first one where Dan got to have lots of downtime to relax and enjoy a recliner. I like more action. This is the most time I've ever spent at a beach. Next time I'll rent a jeep like RVICTOR and go all the way around the other volcano.

JenTiki he is on his way and I've posted this on his thread under General Tiki. Thank you. I hope you like the necklace.

TikiHula you make me blush. I am super happy with how he turned out and I'll forever be thankful that Tyber Tiki's wish pushed me forward into the unknown.

==========================================

The trip to Maui, Hawaii will finish with these photos and then I'm back to showing the art of the Wish List.
We had a perfect time without any injuries.

This photo was taken at the Westin, Kaanopoli Beach. I'm sharing it so you can see how Dan's, first time, beard is growing.

We spent most of the day watching the waves.

At night it was TV because we don't go out much at night. Between movies this came on and we thought the rock looked like a Moai. OK that's a stretch.

All of the resorts have menehunies that come out in the night to rake leaves and to keep the resorts manicured. One morning we almost saw one. I thought his leaf piles were pretty.

Using a zoom lens this was the view from our room. We were upgraded for free on day one from a garden view to a partial ocean view. I have to say that we looked at this very little so if we'd paid for it that would have been a waste.

We walked on to Duke's for our last meal before heading home. Nope not my footprint.

It was a good day for waves.

This is the view once again from Duke's. I think it was our favorite restaurant view that was affordable.

One last Hula Pie and

one last sunset.

We have an obsession with never being late. Dan said,

"this is ridiculous".

We did get to say hi to a cleaning crew.

So when it opened up we went for a long meal of sandwiches and chips. They were out of bananas for Dan.

We walked for hours through gift shops with

tacky tikis.

Once on the plane I took a beard update photo.

Goodbye Maui, Maui Rob and Beachbumz. Thank you.

We had a great time.

We are now home and we have unpacked all the fun things. These are my souvenirs. The combs are for removing wax from surf boards. I'm going to try them out with clay.

We went to thrift stores and I found some shot glasses. The straws were big and sturdy. Again I use them with clay.

Dan didn't mess around he was after TIKIs.

Close up.

The necklaces were a gift from Beachbumz. Thank you Scott.

More gifts from Scott. Wow, it didn't end there.

Beachbumz aka Scott also gave us the tiki holding the pineapple. A mug we had lusted after. I'll have to figure out a thank you because this was over the top generous. He made all of these mugs and Dan purchased 6. Look how they hide most of our ping pong table.

These arrived from Maui Rob. The three on the left all alterations of the same mug. It's the tiki from our hotel.

Here's the tiki for comparison. How fun is this? VERY!

Beachbumz and Maui Rob have wonderful tikis for sale. They are here on Tiki Central and easy to contact.

One last pretty photo of our trip.

===================================================

Progress Report on Wish List #5. I am working on Rasta Bob or Tiki Bob Marley.

This Wish was from Tiki Wahine aka Lynn. Last year was the Rat Fink at Disneyland.
I started with Bob and a cast ornament that I will make the hat from.

I just start adding clay. The ornament gives me an empty base shape.

The hat is going to look like Mr. Marley's hat.

She gives me excellent drawings to use while making her Wish.

I rolled out lots of snakes for the hair.

More tomorrow. This one is a challenge with the guitar and all.

Cheers, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2015-02-24 10:36 ]

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2015-02-24 12:37 ]

Great trip photos
Great food
And great treasures brought back
Glad u 2 had fun, well deserved!

Rasta Bob looks like a fun 1

A friend of mine is here visiting
He wanted to go to the heart attack grill
Next time you are here, take Dan-0...
Great burger, time to restart the diet, :)

T

Great selfies you two.
And Wendy, I've driven all the way around Haleakala twice. It has a couple of curvy one lane spots south of Hana where there's a giant rock face on one side and a man-made rock wall on the other. It's beautiful because it's right next to the ocean, but I kept hoping I didn't meet a driver coming the other way. Tough to back up.

Oh how I miss those plumeria trees at the Kaanapali Beach Hotel (sniff)

Hang10 - forgot the HAG was in Vegas. No sexy nurse photos? I'll be out there after Mojave Oasis in April and we'll have to hook up for HAG and Frankie's and everywhere else!

Hula- deal

hang10tiki I need to let Lynn know her mug is in the works. I saw the Heat Attack Grill on the news and of course Dan wants to go there. I'll have to hold him back.

TikiHula I backed up 5 times on the other around the volcano road. I was lucky it wasn't too far back.
They had pruned those trees when we arrived and even had chain ropes around them so you couldn't get close. There were only a few blossoms and no scent. You must have been there at the right time.

Visting hang10tiki and his wife SewTiki is So much FUN.

====================================================

Heeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeee'sssssssssssssssssss Mike aka Tiki Hula visiting me while I work on clay.

Tiki Wahine's Rasta Bob based on Bob Marley continues on with my making his dreadlocks.

After they are in place I go back with this tool to undercut to round them again.

I finished attaching them on the back and then

I let them firm up overnight in a plastic bag.

Now that the had and mug are not so sticky I tried on the hat and found that it was much too small.

I dug out some of the clay inside because if it's too thick it will crack.

I also started indenting around the bottom so that it will fit the top of the mug. I also added dreds to the sides of his head.

NOw it's the right size and Rasta Bob is modeling his new hat.

There's lots more to this mug and I'll post those photos tomorrow. Cheers, Wendy

T

Wendy, looks like you guys had a great trip.

Love the Tiki Bob Marley, can't wait to see it progress.

FYI, one would use the flat side of the wax comb to remove surf wax, the combed side would be to break it up a bit to add texture (and make a bit more sticky). :) Just a helpful note for when you and Dan start paddling out!

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.