Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Wendy Cevola - New colors of the Frank mug by Frankoma now available.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 10,816 replies

T

Bummer about those beautiful plumeria trees. They were huge and had tons of blossoms when we were there a few years ago. And no chains.
Are you going to make a Bob bong too? :D

But not this Tikiwahine. This could get confusing!

Great mugs Wendy!

TikiAno one of Dan's favorite trips of all time. I think it was because I didn't run him ragged.
Good to know about the surf board combs. Rasta Bob photo finish tomorrow. Tiki Ari keeping you running?

Tikiwahini look below to see why I was confused with your TC name. I hope you'll like him all finished. I kept him as close to your drawings as possible.

TikiHula the chains looked temporary and I think the trees were just in off season for blooming.
(Are you going to make a Bob bong too?) Is that half a drum? Too late he's done.

Tikiwahine well this is fun. Welcome to my thread. We have a good time here sharing and becoming friends. Stick around and feel free to let us get to know you. I'm happy you like the Wishes of friends whose ideas I make come to life.

========================================

Tiki Wahini I think your Rasta Bob is finished being sculpted. Of course there is always fine tuning once these Wish List Projects dry, then sanding, firing, glazing and firing again.

I rolled out a sheet of clay and left it out to dry overnight. That made it firm enough to cut into this shape.

Then I started forming the hands.

Now it's ready to attach.

I made two arms one I attached to the back of the guitar the other to Rasta Bob.

I stuck it in place and supported it with a bunched up paper towel. I put a plastic bag over it all and it sat overnight.

The next day I went to work on the dreadlocks to add texture.

Tikiwahini requested Tiki Central tapa on his body so I started carving that, oh and with the addition of MJ leaves.

Next I worked on texture for the hat.

I used her drawings every step of the way. Here's Rasta Bob posing with Tikiwahini's drawings. He's all done.

==================================================

Next up...I poured another HUGE Maori lamp/mug. Tyber Tiki You get a choice of either one and Dan will take what is left.

I have to let Dan on the Wish List too because he works for tikis. He doesn't get a choice between the two. I did them differently. Tyber Tiki I'll put up photos every day until it is finished and you choose.

Dan working for tikis.

Out of the mold the next day.

Ready to start carving.

I didn't use a photo for this one I just carved it in a manner that felt right.

Step by Step. Cheers, Wendy

Wendy, Rasta Bob is perfect! Great texture on the hat and dreads. And I love the addition of the left arm!

Rasta Bob is another fantastic addition to the Bob lineup! Love all the detail!

:o

C
cy posted on Fri, Feb 27, 2015 8:29 AM

Fantastic progress you are making Wendy, great details on Rasta Bob! I now yearn for Marley, ganja, and rum mon.

I sure do love getting up to mail!

Tikiwahini great, now he is very slowly drying out. Too much rum!

LoriLovesTiki I have so much fun with the Wish List and all the creativity that you all have brought it it.

hang10tiki back at you.

cy I checked out your carving thread recently and saw your cannibal tiki. Wow! Glad you like Bob.

===================================================

Wish List Progress. This piece is for Paul G. of Australia. He is joining the Brotherhood of the Blue Bob stated by Professor G.

To this one I'm adding a kangaroo and a cassowary.

More palms and

more palms.

The clay is mushy so I just work with it every so often.

I changed the detail of the carving too.

I did the pebbles all the way around the face and

then I sanded them with water on a brush.

Bob is done and is now posing.

===========================================

Progress on the second HUGE Maori Lamp/mug for Tyber Tiki to check out.

Out of the mold.

This time I work with the design over the entire back rather than from one side to the other.

The back is finished. Now just the front is left to do.

After these dry I go back and deepen some areas that water brushing filled up.

I appreciate you notes and visits, thank you all, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2015-02-28 22:01 ]

Awesome.....................

Wow Wendy! I am just catching up on this thread...your progress on wish list #5 is incredible and your mugs in progress look simply amazing! Really love the textured details on Rasta Bob.

You have truly spoiled me by providing an option to choosing between the two huge Maoris. They both look great and I really like what you have done with Huge Maori #2. I'll enthusiastically follow the progress and when the time comes...make the difficult but privileged decision you graciously granted me :)

Thanks again for your amazing work. It is a treat to follow along.

Tyber Tiki

T

Wendy, the more you post the more my mouth hits the floor. The floor needs to be cleaned, so as you can imagine it's not the best scenario for me. Or, it could be better, so please stop with the ridiculously impressive carving. Jeez louise.

Okay, just kidding, but Bob Tikimarley is awesome (love the details on his dreads and his lid/ hat) as well as the newest carve(s). Wowzers.

Okay, maybe it's time to mop the floor to prevent further, um, situations.

Wendy I know I said this before.. BUT... Your Amazing!! :wink:

Loving the Maori mug and the Bob with the guitar is great. Was working on something similar myself today..

Thanks again for posting the great pictures of your trip, the mugs.. oh yeah and that yummy Mud Pie.. I'm going to have to take a trip down that way soon and have one with the family.. :)

Tell Dan I like the beard too.. :D

Much Aloha

hang10tiki you too!

Tyber Tiki Rasta Bob was a lot of fun to sculpt. Glazing that fellow is going to be a bigger challenge.
I'm so happy you like having a choice. There are differences. One has the club plain while one has it carved with designs. Just small things.

TikiAno this is why I do the Wish Lists. I never would have come up with a Rasta Bob. I'm so happy you are going to take over cleaning the floors for Maya. Tiki Ari likes that too. You are so cute.

Beachbumz thank you for making me blush, it's good for my skin.
I bet your mug will have a ukulele? I'm looking forward to seeing that.
I'll tell Dan about the beard. We are enjoying seeing how his has such patterns.
If only his head had some white hairs it would all match.
The best photos we took were with you two men. What a treat to visit you.

Thank you everyone. Waking up to mail is a treat and it starts me day off energized. You are all so nice and I appreciate it very much.

===================================

Wish List #5. Tyber Tiki they are both done now. At the bottom I have put them together so you could easily figure out which one you would like to have.

Here I have added the side doodads.

The next day I was able to carve them.

This shows the one hand carved and the other carved and cleaned with water on a brush. For this fellow I added eyeballs.

I've begun the carving. One area at a time.

All done all the way around.

I put a hole in the top for the fixture.

Once it is dry I will sand it down to fit. I will also carve a hole in the back for the chord.

Whichever one is not chosen by Tyber Tiki it will become Dan's for his work in helping me do ceramics. He does all the outdoor cleanup rain or shine.

Dan's will be a lamp. I had to figure out how to do this so I decided to carve a top.

It will shrink as it dries so I made it larger than the tiki because the tiki is already dry.

Comparison photos for Tyber Tiki.

Tyber Tiki if you need close ups of any area to help you decide let me know.

==============================

Back to work! Wendy

I

Lookin Gooooooooood !!!

WC

Those lamps are out of the park.
That's no entry level project.

IDoVoodoo I'll have photos for your wishes soon! Glad you like these.

Will carve thank you. Dan's not too happy lifting the 60 pound molds for these big projects. He wishes I'd go back to painting. Maybe I'll do both and then he'll have a few breaks.

=============================================
Wish List #5 Progress Report

Kenneth G. McN's wish was for a mug like #8 that was chosen by Jen Tiki.

I did the top as a mirror image and then changed the designs too.

Here is where I started to remove larger areas of clay.

It's a slow process.

Then I smooth it all with a brush and water.

Now that the grooves are in place I finished the carving.

All done and posing like the ham Tiki Bob is...

==================

The next Wish is Tikiman's. He started with a wish for one Zombie Torch and ended up choosing two.

After I finish painting them with enamel they bake in the home oven for 45 minutes and then cool down before removing.

Here's one in progress.

This black version has silver sparkles that shine in the sun. Here he just looks dusty.

===========================

I'll hope that these Wishes have been fulfilled. I'm on to the next and the next! Cheers, Wendy

TT

Hi Wendy. Dan is right, they both look amazing, so choosing one is really tough. I have stared at these pictures numerous times over the last two days, going back and forth with my choice. However, in the end, and after a fresh look this morning, I have really grown attached to the Huge Maori #1 (the one on the right) as it has progressed through the stages...so that is my choice. Thanks again for the options, Wendy. Can't wait to see more of wish list #5.

Tyber Tiki

Tyber Tiki #1 is yours. It was fun to tempt you with another!

=================================================

When I sculpted and molded the 3 Fogcutter mugs it was so I could do customs without Tiki Bob involved. There are mugs out there that Bob doesn't show at all on the outside but you can see his face on the inside.

A few of Wish List #5 have been made on the new Fogcutter mugs. This one is for Professor G. He ordered 2 this is the first one. The clay dictates where the palms go and how many. None of these palm mugs are the same.

I save all the clay that I cut off cast mugs. I remove any plaster, I dunk it in water and save it in plastic airtight containers. I never run out of clay for doing custom mugs.

I use slip as glue.

Then I form a piece and stick it on.

I use this tool to cut into the added clay and

then I push down. This eliminates dangerous air pockets.

After the mug has been in plastic for a couple of days and has firmed up I go back and scrape away clay to make it more defined.

Then I smooth the clay with a wet brush.

Professor G on a prior Wish List asked me to add Palms to a Tiki Bob. He invented this style. Thank you sir!

This mug is being carved to match the first one I ever did and it was his blue Tiki Bob that started the
Brotherhood of the Blue Bobs. Did I get the name right?

I first did all of the lines.

Then I outlined the rocky wall.

Then I carved the rocky wall.

Then I smoothed it with the wet brush.

With that done it was time to crave the blocks to match the original.

Just now I said all done and then I realized that I did one more step to this mug to make it match the original. So I just took more photos and here they are.

There are now pebbles all around the beach scene.

One down one more to go! I will not match the trees on the next one nor will I put up a zillion photos of it.
I'm just sharing techniques that I use that will help those of you who are making your first mug.

I hope these help, cheers, Wendy

T

The Maori lamps are spectacular Wendy! So much fun to look at all the patterns and intricate sculpting you did!

I for one love all your tips & tricks! Thank you for sharing your vast knowledge.

The carving on the Maori continues to astound!

Wendy!
Oh my GAWRSH!
So much Wonderfulness to gaze at!
From your island shots to the army of flawless ceramic creations you share and teach us with!
You are the BEST!
xoxo

Dig da detail
U rock Wendy...

I

The more names I see you working on wishes for, the more excited I get !!!

Waking up to so many messages just touches my heart. You all rock!!! I'm lucky to have each of you.

==========================================

TikiHula Tyber Tiki just decided that he wants his to be a lamp. He choose number one. I'll make a topper for him and then I'll drill holes in the back of both. Photos along the way. I love the comments on these thank you.

LoriLovesTiki I look forward to watching you work clay. I can't hardly put it down to do anything else. It's addictive.

little lost tiki you are the best. Whenever I get fatigued I think of all the wonderful art you are able to do and I keep on going. I sure enjoy watching you come up with new ideas like the master piano player!!! I still love birds best. See you soon, I hope.

hang10tiki you carve. How about a selfie with you and Janelle and one of your backyard tikis in the middle?

IDoVoodoo so cute. Let's start today with your HUGE Maori necklace. I'm not sure if I did it right, some of the moons are not as curved as your arm tattoos so you may reject it and I'll start over. So keep on scrolling down.

=========================================

Wish List #5 progress.

Professor G's second palm tree Fogcutter mug. Since I let the clay dictate how they turn out they are very different.

All done and posing together.

Next up is the HUGE necklace for IDoVooDoo based on his personal tattoos.

Here are my reference photos of his arms and drawings he did to help me out.

I use large grain sandpaper to make a rocky surface.

All done and ready for inspection. It's fine to point out any problems. I have to fulfil wishes.

Anyone been here? Next time we go on the Oregon coast we'll hunt it down.

Our tiki broke so now it is on it's side like so many Moai.

My cat keeps me company when I post. She thinks she's hiding.

The matching fogcutters flanking Island Bob are going to be spectacular. Thanks a ton, Ma'am, for the beautiful work.

I

Wow! My necklace looks GREAT! I can't think of a single change!

W- wow, Professor G's Fog-Palm mugs look great.

And the necklace for IDoVooDoo looks awesome.
I have one of those life size Moai necklaces, it always turns heads

Never heard of the Castaways Restaurant and Tiki Bar on Fir Street
I called the number, it's been disconnected.

Nooooooooo, how did your tall Moai break in half? So sad...

Ummmm
Are you sure that's your cat?
I would look behind the curtain......
I think you might have a bear in the house...........

Not to let the "cat" out of the bag early
But isn't someone having a birthday soon :)

T

wha-what? Happy Birthday to someone...

Okay, I missed a few days, came back to see crazy good lamps, superb mug creation, and a mega-sized beautifully carved necklace.

I'm still going back to look at your ease of carving stone shapes into the mug- I've used a press mat but now I really do have to try your technique to see how poorly I can/will replicate it! :)

R

Wendy - yesterday my wife saw the article in Sunset magazine and asked me about it. Then I went and checked your post later that night and saw you were asking about it. Totally wired. Never been but I'll check it out he next time we make a trip to the Oregon coast. Cannon beach is really beautiful, as is most of the area around there.

I LOVE MAIL! Thank you all for the messages. This is so much fun.

Professor G I see your super carved blue palm Tiki Bob posted as a photo more times than any other thing I've ever made. So I am so excited to think of a photo with these three together. I'm so happy you like them. I've improved with practice.

IDoVoodoo I'm so happy. Soon you'll see what I did with your coconut mug design. Fingers crossed.

hang10tiki when the storm of the century was coming we lay it on its side to protect it. When Dan picked it up he did it from the top of its head and it snapped in half. We didn't win trying to be safe. The storm wasn't much either.

You two men may be the only ones with those necklaces. Dan hung some on the wall.

A bear would be nice. I was a tour guide in Yellowstone National Park.

Yep, soon Dan will catch up to me and we'll be the same age again.

TikiAno I have Tiki Ari's face memorized. When I don't see you here I know where and what you are doing for fun. They don't stay little for very long.

The small paint brush for between the rocks and a large one for running over the whole mug.

RVICTOR we go to the Oregon Coast once a year. My sister and some of her children, grandchildren and great grandchildren live there and we go visit.

See hang10tikis post that the phone number has been disconnected. Maybe they just changed it. Too bad because the Sunset article would have helped them with business.

Last summer we stopped at Cannon Beach and found a dozen bunnies running around. See the little specks at the base of the building, those are all bunnies.

===================================================

Wish List #5 progress report.

kingstiedye aka Bullet your time has finally arrived.

His request was for a Frankin Fink copied from a now defunct companies toy and the hands of another Fink. I was happy that this would require another version of my new Fogcutter mugs. So I cast the one with only a rim at the bottom.

I started by attaching clay for the rocky platform.

I added slip to the clay as glue and pressed the mug into place.

I turned it over and smoothed and added more clay to fix it.

Upright again I began to add more and more clay.

Next I added a belly and a foot.

Side view.

Now another foot has been added.

I formed a head and covered the back with slip.

I pressed it into place.

Now he's starting to look like a something or other.

Next I started building up the trench coat. Since he's a mug I needed to make the coat go clear to the ground.

This is the backside.

This actually took a couple of days. Between steps the clay must be allowed to firm up or you end up with a mess.

More photos on the way. Cheers, Wendy

Sorry the Moai broke
The new Fink is going to look kool

You two sure are popular:

T

Nicely done Hang10 :D

hang10tiki for a moment I thought you thought IDoVooDoo's necklace broke and then I remembered our concrete moai. At least it still looks good on it's side.

Wow I love the letters, thank you for sharing...and maybe putting them in place???

TikiHula I sent you a message.

==================================

Progress Report on Wish List #5.

Tyber Tiki has decided that the HUGE Maori mug/lamp should be a lamp. So he requested the lid and hole so that he can adapt it once it is in his hands.

When I made the first lid for Dan's it took a long time and it wasn't as nice as I would prefer. So I figured out a better way with what I had available.

I had already cast one of my tube mugs and it has been sitting on a shelf waiting for a purpose. I cut off the bottom and set it aside.

I cut the top in half and

wet my fingers and began smoothing it flat.

I put a piece of plastic wrap on top of the clay so I could use Dan's top as a guide for cutting.

Next I folded the plastic over on the leftover piece and put it in a plastic bag for another project.

Now that the first piece was cut I put a lot of sticky clay on top. I cut the top off a tall Tiki Bob mug and

pressed it down into the sticky mess.

I cleaned it up and cut a hole for the lamp fixture.

I put it on top of his lamp and then I

cut more off. I left enough so as it dries and shrinks it will still be large enough.

Then I drilled a hole at the bottom for the cord.

Once I have finished my "work" day for the Wish List I am free to play.

The bottom piece I cut off the mug was just begging to be turned into a bucket mug.

I just had fun playing with this and doing a fast carve of 5 tiki faces.

I just love playing with clay.

=============================

More on Frankin Fink tomorrow. Cheers, Wendy

A double post tonight. I hope that's OK.

Here are all the photos showing how I did the hands on kingtiedye's (aka Bullet's) Frankin Fink.

First I strangled the mug to make a neck. Then I started building up the arms.

I also cut the bottom platform to resemble paving stones.

I added fingers and a shabbiness to the bottom of his trench coat.

Next the sleeves were made shabby and one hand was stitched on.

After the clay had dried enough I was able to use a skewer to scratch the clay fingernails.

Done.

How's that two in one night. Dan pull me away from the computer....Daaaaaaaaaaan!

M

Thanks Wendy for posting photos! It was so fun having you and Dan over. I'm glad you are enjoying your mugs!

I swear I need to spend more time on TC, but then I'd have no time for mug making. Someday when I retire! Ha!

ALOOOOOHA!

On 2015-02-24 09:50, danlovestikis wrote:
Goodbye Maui, Maui Rob and Beachbumz. Thank you.
We had a great time.

These arrived from Maui Rob. The three on the left all alterations of the same mug. It's the tiki from our hotel.

Here's the tiki for comparison. How fun is this? VERY!

Beachbumz and Maui Rob have wonderful tikis for sale. They are here on Tiki Central and easy to contact.

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2015-02-24 10:36 ]

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2015-02-24 12:37 ]

Wendy, you truly are one of my FAVORITE Artists. I love all the detail; and it's so blatantly obvious that you put all kinds of love and care in to your work. I can't wait to hang out sometime.

Skol!

A two episode day? AWESOME
Love the hands.

MauiRob you and Beachbumz do exquisite tiki work. See you in the future.

IDoVoodoo that sounds like fun but I have to tell you that once here Dan will nab you and off to the man cave or jungle room you'll go! Your note brought a huge smile to my face but not as huge as your necklace.

=====================================

Progress Report for Wish List #5.

kingstiedye's (aka Bullet) Frankin Fink project.

Yesterday I showed the hands held behind his back. Now I'm "backing" up to the front that was started first. I wouldn't want you to think I amputated his arms.

This is how the front looked once I finished the long trench coat and feet.

I started adding details.

Side view.

I started to build out the arms and

elbows.

Now he rested overnight in a plastic bag to firm up.

The next day it was time to work on his face.

Mouth outline and bolts in neck.

Next I did the detail on the shoes.

Creepy grin.

Now I built up a ridge for the eyeballs to sit inside.

Time to let him sleep.

Thank you all for the visits and comments, Wendy

Lookin good
Dig those shoes
:)

Woohoo! Put Another Candle on Your Birthday Cake......Happy Happy Birthday Dan!

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2015-03-09 20:14 ]

hang10tiki the shoes were really fun to do, I'm happy to know they were noticed.

WooHooWahine I'll remind him that he needs to do that. Right now all he wants are tikis and more tikis.

==============================================

Progress Report on Wish List #5

The Frankin Fink for kingstiedye aka Bullet is finished being sculpted. Glazing will be a huge challenge but for now it just has to slowly slowly slowly dry out to prevent cracking.

I worked to finish the eyes and brow ridges.

Now it was time to give the guy some teeth.

Some done.

All of them done.

Hair and head stitches.

Close up.

All done and posing.

Now that he has dried some I'm fine tuning his teeth

and the FF letters. Very carefully I shave off dry clay.

Now the letters look better.

kingstiedye did I fulfill your wish?

=======================

Next up will be IDoVooDoo's coconut with his personal tattoos on the front and back.

Cheers, Wendy

He's pretty fantastic Wendy. Can't beat a great Fink! His hair and the shape of his head turned out great - love the stitching!

That's one good lookin fink

And

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAN-0
Hope you have a great day
Cheers my man...

Be sure to eat a big piece of cake
Or something

Worst sound ever, slurp of an empty tiki mug through my straw!!!

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2015-03-08 07:05 ]

R

Happy birthday Tikiman!

Tikiwahini the art I copied had it all. Hopefully I can glaze this well enough to match the toy. I'm so glad you like it. kingstiedye is on a trip so he hasn't looked at his Wish yet.

hang10tiki I think I need to make a Tiki Fink. I'm thinking it through. I loved carving Rat Finks out of bars of Ivory soap when I was a kid. These Fink projects take me back in time.

Dan's having a wonderful birthday.

RVICTOR Dan's says Thank you very much.

Dan thanks everyone who sent him birthday wishes.

=================================================

Progress report for Wish List #5. This project is for IDoVooDoo and it is the last one to be sculpted for the Wish List.
Now everything needs to dry slowly so that I can bisque fire them and then glaze and fire them again.

Step by steps for the Tiki Torture Bamboo Bar Coconut mug for IDOVooDoo.

One side of the mug has the tattoo from one side of his neck.

He had this print and it really helped.

I'm not sure what part of his body has this art but it will also go on the coconut.

This is how we hoped to make it. It didn't turn out like this but I hope it will still make him happy.

Dan and I poured in the slip filling the mold.

Dan gets to do the clean up.

Two hours later he poured out the rest of the slip.

The next day I opened the mold and

cleaned off the mold lines.

I started with the skull on one side and then I decided to work

on the other side by starting the octopus. I cut a slab of clay into the basic body shape and attached it with slip as glue.

Then I added very soft clay to form the shape.

Close up.

IDoVooDoo wanted a 3D mug of his tattoos. If this doesn't work out for him then I will start another one from scratch. If I don't fulfill a Wish then there's no obligation to take it.

More on this project tomorrow. Dan's nap is almost over and we need to go play some more for his birthday. Cheers, Wendy

===========================================

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 10816 replies