Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Wendy Cevola - New colors of the Frank mug by Frankoma now available.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 10,816 replies

Tom Grill, KonaKaiBaby and Tyber Tiki your ceramics are boxed and will ship tomorrow. Thank you all very much, Wendy

===============================

KonaKaiBaby what a wonderful photo. I love seeing where my art goes and who his new friends will be.

I will check out your site.

Come on down to the Hokulani Lounge! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hokulani-Lounge/1110336148981097

==============================

Tyber Tiki what a great trip you had. If you want to share any photos here feel free. It makes me feel really good that you and other do catch ups on my posts. Without all of you there wouldn't be a reason to do this. Thank you and everyone who visits here.

Update on the Sacramento Cap City Crawl mug. 52 of 60 ($80 each) have been sold as of today and I need one too!

One of the experiments I did was to see if a Duncan CN glaze would stay put when painted on top of a Duncan IN or Specialty glaze. It did not. In fact it even ran. So to add color to my Sacramento Crawl mug I must scrub off the sprayed on glaze wherever I want to add a CN glaze.

I cut up a scratchy backed sponge into little pieces. I wet them and scrub with the green scratchy side and then wipe with the sponge. Wash the sponge and start on the next mug. These little pieces last for 2 mugs and then are thrown out.

I times it and I can scrub 5 mugs in one hour.

The white areas are where I removed the glaze. Front.

Palm Tree.

Palm Tree and stake.

Here's one hours worth of work.

When I finish 5 then I put a coat of the Mayco Crystal glaze on top of the over-spray I talked about before.

Five done 55 to go.

At the end of a long day I brought some to the table where

I had put out all the CN glazes I will use for color on these mugs.

This is why I started these mugs the first week in January. I'll need all the time I can get to finish them.

Cheers, Wendy

Update on the Sacramento Crawl mug for October 2015.

Now that the places that need color are ready I start the slow process of painting with CN glazes.

The first color was caramel for the name, tiki and the palm trees.

I'm just working on the first 25 due to lack of space to spread them out. So after this color was done in several coats I let them sit overnight to dry.

The next day I painted all the coconuts.

Then the next day I turned them over and started on all the flowers. First all the red, then the orange and then the yellow.

Done.

Then the next day I started on the birds.

The next day they went outside for a final drying session on this table and

around the corner.

Now into the kiln they went.

They fire overnight and then it takes a couple of days to cool down.

Thank you for the visit, Wendy

Hi Dan and Wendy!!!

IDoVoodoo I hope you make it to the Sacramento Crawl. It would be fun to have you meet more of the Ohana here.

Update on the Sacramento Crawl mug for October 2015.

While the kiln fired and cooled I started washing the glaze off the last 35 mugs.

Kiln Open. Top shelf.

Bottom shelf. I can fit in 21 mugs at a time so it will just take 2 more loads. Then I'll check for those needing more glaze and hopefully I can fix these in one last load. There are always small glitches with glaze and I like to deal with them.

I got to the last one after three days of washing.

Now they are all ready for the glazing marathon.

First mug shows the over-spray. The second mug shows how I painted over the over-spray. The third mug shows how this worked and the mugs look how I wanted them to look.

This shows how the mug will look now that the colors are finalized.

I worked too hard and now I am having back spasms with knots. Mahalo Tiki and Mary came over last night to pick up their purchases for Tiki Oasis. Check out their booth. Anyway I could hardly stand or walk while they were here. I want to glaze so this is a bummer.

I'm still smiling, I wish you all a day full of them, Wendy

Beautiful work. Those mugs are amazing! Hope your back gets better soon.

What Biotron said :)

i guess you're not putting these on facebook now, so i'll put my "like" here. hope you're feeling better!

T

Aloha, Wendy & Dan! I've been on TC hiatus, but just stopped in to catch up on your thread. Holy moly! Wow, I spent a bit of time glazing a bunch of pendants for the SD Ohana for Oasis, and complained the entire time. Wow, I shouldn't complain, the time and detail you put into each and every piece blows me away (every time)!

Love the Sac Crawl mugs, of course! Great to quickly read up, now time for bed!

Biotron2000 thank you. Yesterday and today I am able to walk fine. I just can't bend forward. I'm still working with Dan's help so I'm on schedule with the crawl mugs.

hang10tiki what I said to Biotron2000!

kingstiedye Tiki Central gets my posts first and then later on I do facebook. This is my home.

TikiAno when you have a new little boy to play with there isn't much time for art. He's worth it. I'm happy you check in and let us know what's up. The photo on the Swap page is adorable.

Update on the Sacramento Tiki Crawl mug. Every year I make 50 mugs and 40 sell and the last 10 go slowly over time. This year I made 60 and I only have 1 left and the crawl isn't until October! You'll see on this page that I'm making four more in different colors. If I run out at the crawl I'll have these as backups. I will destroy the mold when 100 have been made. The crawl run of 60 will not have their colors repeated.

After scrubbing off the glaze on areas to be glazed in colors I re-glazed all the caramel areas. Tiki, Palm Trunks and Bali Hai.
35 mugs ready for the next step after I eat my breakfast.

Next I did the bird and the flowers. I use shot glasses to hold the glaze for each color and a paint brush for each also.

I did 6 at a time and then Dan would swap trays for me and I would continue.

This part took 6 hours and I finished all the colors on 35 mugs.

This photo shows areas that lost glaze, in areas that need it, when I washed off the areas that needed color.

The next day when all the birds and flowers were dry I started adding background color to fine tune and to cover the accidentally washed off areas.

Even thought I go over each mug there may be areas that are thin and show up after firing. I will have to do more to those mugs.

More spots covered.

On 8/1/15 I have fired a load. Bottom shelf and

top shelf.

I can do 22 mugs and these had to wait. Tomorrow I'll be glazing them.

When I cast mugs I cast 64 in case any cracked when fired. None did and it left me with four extras. I am glazing them

in different colors as backups in case I run out at the crawl. 58 are already assigned. The mold mold will be destroyed when 100 have been made. 60 in the crawl colors.

I keep repeating this information so that there will be no misunderstandings. Thank you for the visit and comments.

I'm so happy to be near the end of glazing. Cheers, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2015-08-02 10:13 ]

Wendy, we finally made some serious progress on the lounge & Purple Bob is in his proper place now, between my two special vintage Kona Kai mugs!

More lounge pics here:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=49594&forum=20&0

July 24th was my 5th anniversary and when we got home from Key West I gave my husband the mug Wendy made for me. Here it is with the turquoise one that she made in 2012. Aren't they cute together?

Thanks Wendy!!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE them!

KonaKaiBaby it's so fun to see the mug sitting between vintage mugs. One day when Dan and I are long gone I hope our ceramics have become vintage mugs in collections. Thank you so much for the photo.

LoriLovesTiki it's really special to see them together. I really appreciate getting these photos. Thank you.

=======================

Update on the Sacramento Crawl mug will have to wait. I just realized that I never showed the HUGE Maori jar I made for the show at Xiem in Southern California. I looked back through all the pages and found where I glazed it but never the photos of it coming out of the kiln.

Catch up photos.

Tyber Tiki has #1 that he requested on Wish List #5 made to use as a lamp. I need to show #2 for Dan that was made as a lamp.

This is #3 the first one as a jar. It is brown with green highlights.

Cheers, Wendy

Wow. That jar is mind-blowing. Amazingly gorgeous! The detail is astounding.

Purple Bob is very happy amongst the vintage Kona Kai. He is already as treasured as they are! :)

T

Awesome. Awesomer. Awesomest.

Great art Wendy
Hi to Dan-0
See you guys soon
Did u see the new Bali Hai mug? Looks good
It will be avail thur at Bali Hai

Lori- cool photo, welcome back and happy anniversary

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2015-08-04 13:12 ]

TT

Wow Wendy,

We really like the colors of the crawl mug and the Maori Jar looks great...so very detailed!

I've received the Tapa Fogcutter mug and it's become my mug of choice for cocktails. Holds a really nice amount, feels great to hold, and is just simply gorgeous. Thanks so much!

Thanks Jon!

KonaKaiBaby I checked out your new home bar. Terrific photos. I want to hang out there.

TikiAno I smile when I see your name but I'm picturing baby boy Tiki Ari.

hang10tiki cool. It's impossible to collect everything there is that is tiki.

Tyber Tiki always in your debt for making me stretch and make the HUGE Maori. I'm happy to see the blue tapa mug is safely in it's new home. Thank you.

LoriLovesTiki (:

=======================

I had fun making a lot of Tiki Bob hand carved mugs this year. I sold 28 of them to Mahalo Tiki for sale at Tiki Oasis. They will be at his booth.

I also sold him the last 7 Zombie Torches with flames. I hope you'll check out Nelson and Mary's indoor booth.

Here are the Tiki Bobs.

=====================================

Dan found a lamp shade for $5 at a garage sale. He asked me to make it work for his Huge Maori Lamp. I found an old semi dried out felt pen and went to work.

Dan's lamp was #2 out of the mold.

Always having fun and wishing you could join us, Wendy and Dan

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2015-08-05 15:47 ]

Dan-0 always had a good eye for hats
But this one's over the top

Your lampshade idea was so clever!

I think someone has a birthday coming up soon
:)

Real soon :)

hang10tiki over the top of his head. Wonderful photo. Hey I have SewTiki's mug packed for Tiki Oasis.

LoriLovesTiki thank you. It sure was easy because the shade was plastic. I would have had to be more gentle with a plant fiber.
Dan said I should make lamp shades out of hay and called them 50 Shades of Hay!

hang10tiki it's nice to be remembered. I'm going to get birthday hugs from you and SewTiki soon.

hang10tiki Dan keeps singing, "Will I still need you, will I still feed you, when you're 64?" He better or I won't make any more tikis for him.

=========================

I finally finished the necklaces. I still have one more step to wrap the cords before the get tangled. I'll cut some cardboard for that. I'm really happy with the glazes.

This is the only war helmet I've made so far. No mold just by hand. The holes are small so I put tape on the end of the chord and used that to guide it through the holes.

First I cut off the flap.

I have a lot of cutting and wrapping to go.

Cheers, Wendy

Great batch of necklaces

3 hrs and 2 min and someone needs a bday cake

HAPPY BIRTHDAY WENDY...

Have a great day
You deserve it

R

Happy birthday to the most prolific mug maker on the planet. Your an inspiration to us all!

A
amate posted on Sat, Aug 8, 2015 10:15 AM

HBD
Love the pendants.

T

Happy Birthday Wendy!!!!!

Stand by, Tiki Ari wants to wish you the same....

T

Wendy, my apologies. Tiki Ari had other things on his mind, so he was mildly distracted during our photoshoot. That, or he just really likes crumpling up and eating paper. Speaking of which, your card did not fare so well.

He decided to go for a crawl...

Then he decided he was "out!"

Look forward to celebrating in person at Oasis next week!

hang10tiki I made my own birthday cake three nights in a row and served it to Dan and I each night. My trick is to take a angel food cake mix and divide it into quarters. Then each night I make one and bake it. Then we have hot fresh cake out of the oven and we are only getting 1/8th of a cake each. It's so good!

Thank you for the Birthday countdown. I think I was born at 4 am. A doctor saved me and then had to save my mother. We both came close to not making it. It's really best to be born in a hospital.

hang10tiki I had the best day ever, see the photos below.

RVICTOR it only seems that way. Dan and I are out done by John Moulder and his wife who have made the mug for Tiki Oasis this year. That alone is 300 plus mugs!

amate thank you, I sent the information via the PM's.

TikiAno Is he going to Tiki Oasis too? I love love love those photos, what a doll and his dad is great too.

lunavideogames if we go to Ocean Beach this week will we find you at the store? Address?

==========================

Last night I had the table covered with all those cords. I figured out what to do with them. I cut a bunch of rectangle pieces of cardboard.

I wrapped the cords around the cardboard and taped the ends.

Then I folded the cardboard over and stapled it together.

Looks good. If I wanted to add a price to the cardboard it would be easy.

I got them all done in an hour.

====================================

How I spent my birthday.
Psycho Tiki D allowed the Sacramento Ohana to set up tables in his backyard to sell fun tikis they no longer needed.

I wore my famous Nick Nolte mug shot shirt. This is our host Psycho Tiki D (somehow I never ran into Amy his wife)

I love tiki events. I just go from hug to hug to hug. Thank you Duane and Amy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2015-08-08 18:13 ]

i didn't realize it was your birthday when i saw you today! glad you had a good one. don't let dan kill any lions please!

Glad you had a great birthday
Looks like you guys had fun

C
cy posted on Sun, Aug 9, 2015 4:25 PM

A Happy Birthday hug from cy coming your way soon in San Diego!

kingstiedye it was a secret. So you noticed Dan's safari look? He's having so much fun not shaving. You should be with Buzzy by now. Tell him we need to visit. Did he do a pinup for Oasis and his fans?

hang10tiki tiki people rock so seeing everyone was a blast. See you soon!

cy waiting for you to arrive. It's going to be a hug fest!

=============================

We just checked into our room for Tiki Oasis 15. We are beat. Photos soon. Good night, Wendy

Wendy, I am taking most of the week off for Oasis. I look forward to seeing you! Safe travels.

Wendy, Dan-0, Treg- see ya soon

i'm flying in friday. i'll be at the hotel by 3. you should definitely come visit at buzzy's!

[ Edited by: kingstiedye 2015-08-11 08:12 ]

T

Wendy & Dan, welcome (back) to San Diego! Look forward to seeing you guys soon- hmmmm, when will you be making your daytime stop at the Bali Hai?

I'm not sure if it's the best idea to bring Tiki Ari to Oasis, but perhaps he can cruise somewhere else to say hi.

lunavideogames we are here and awaiting your arrival.

hang10tiki hurry up we have been pacing back and forth in the lobby waiting for your arrival.

kingstiedye send me Buzzy's address and phone number. I don't think we will move the car after Thursday night. The lot is already packed. We would love to see him tomorrow if we have the information.

TikiAno I'm reading your note too late. We had lunch at the Bali Hai Today. I would love to hold him. I bet he would push me away. If you don't bring him here just keep posing photos and I'll just hug you! If you have them I would really like to buy 4 big bags of your hot chocolate mix. I would surprise Dan with them when we get home. There is NONE better than yours.

========================

Well friends it feels so weird to not be working with clay. We are at Tiki Oasis 15. I'll share photos of our trip when we return home. I just tried and the internet is so slow in the hotel that I stopped after 5 minutes and still no photo.

So sorry, Wendy

Happy (belated) Birthday, Wendy! Enjoy Oasis - maybe we'll run into you there.

If you have any of the petroglyph turtle necklaces left, let me know! Those are irresistible.

T

Wendy, those mugs look spectacular! Nicely done.

bamalamalu thank you it's been a fun birthday month! See you soon.

tjjammer hey, welcome to my thread. Where in Northern California are you? We are in Elk Grove just 14 miles south of Sacramento. Are you coming to our crawl in October? It's a blast. Is that the mug you are referring too?

================================

On facebook I can see so many friends have arrived. Where are you all? I'll be putting a banner up on our rooms balcony tomorrow. see you soon. Wendy

I am working for the next few hours to have the rest of the weekend off. I will be there early on Friday though.

It looks like you have some birthday wishes in the Ohana section. :)

See you soon!

lunavideogames thank you for sending me to the Ohana page.

=================================

I'm posting all the photos on facebook. If you aren't yet my friend just ask and I'll add you to my friend list. When we get home and I have good WiFi again I'll catch up here with the same photos.

=================================

Hi Everyone, the internet at the hotel has speeded up. I can now post one photo per minute instead of every five.

Here goes. These are photos from the first two days on the road to Tiki Oasis 15.

On our way South we stopped at Santa Barbara to visit my nephew, his wife and one of his sons.
Brennan is a glass artist.

These are some of his works. As a birthday gift he let me pick one out. I loved the purple one best and I'll be wearing it at Tiki Oasis. Thank you Brennan.

Including this dragon.

My nephew Kevin gave me a birthday card which was really sweet.

Later that day we walked around Ventura California near our hotel and found this store. Too bad it was closed.

The next day we left for Carlsbad California to visit Polynesian Paddy and his wife Barbara.

If I had a backyard this great I'd never want to leave.

He'd designed and built much of it.

The yard is a garden of fruits and vegetables.

To welcome us to paradise he put one of my tikis out on the table. I felt right at home!

Barbara had prepared cut up fruit from their yard and he had made passion fruit sorbet that was outstanding. He even makes wine and gave Dan two bottles to enjoy on our stay at Tiki Oasis.

While we were dining the largest beetle I've ever seen buzzed us until it landed and

I got these photos.

Polynesian Paddy aka Chuck made this planter out of bamboo for planting succulents.

After a Mexican lunch in a beautiful setting we left to visit

Moai Mike a master gardener. These two men have lots in common and are good friends. Note: my tiki behind him on the right screen.

We had fun in Moai Mikes tiki room that he has built.

This was the first time we have seen a Timber Cove tiki. Wow!

We had a fun visit until it was time to leave for San Diego. By guys see you at Oasis.

This is the calm time to be here. Soon it will be a rip roaring party unequaled in the world of tiki parties.

It's so much fun to share with all of you. I hope you enjoy seeing our tiki travels. Cheers, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2015-08-13 14:51 ]

After a good nights sleep it's time to run around. It's Tuesday August 11th, 2015.

We started by going to Ocean Beach to hunt for tikis. I could have gotten Dan a Tiki Man sign to go with my Tiki Girl birthday card. This was the best booth.

Then it was onto Morts for a photo op with the famous tiki out front.

Next to Bali Hai for lunch.

I took a selfie at the table.

Afterwards we walked around outside. Nice view of San Diego.

We enjoyed the tropical foliage.

Had to get the sign in this photo.

Back at the hotel I took a photo of Dan peering over the balcony.

From up there we can see the stage being put together for the event.

The next day August 12, 2015 Tuesday we drove to Temecula to antique shop. In 30,000 square feet we found these two tikis which we didn't buy because Dan had them already.

Back to the hotel we went to the Islands lounge for hamburgers. We ran into Danielle Mann and

Evan her fiancé. They will marry here on Friday with Crazy Al officiating. The legal ceremony will take place when they are back home in Australia.

We ended up with a really fun party with fellow Australian and dear friend Swizzle aka Robbie showed up to join us.

Where else can you go on vacation with hundreds of your friends? Cheers, Wendy

This is today August 13th, 2015. We started our day by driving to San Diego Old Town and having a fun Mexican breakfast.
Then we walked around. We did this so early that everything was locked up. The best part was that it was cool outside.

We returned to the hotel and I prepared to hang my banner. This is the first time I've had a place to display it.

I put it up with ties, it was fast and easy.

The view from down below.

Before I could even post here Freddie Coester a friend from Oahu took this photo when I spotted him and put it on my page on facebook. I LOVE the digital age. Looks like I have no teeth!

I ran downstairs to grab Freddie and Buzzy before they could escape. I'll get a new pinup for our Buzzy bedroom this trip.

Back to the Islands lounge where I found Mondo-By-The-Bay sitting with Swizzle having a visit.

Soon we were spotted by Tiki Bob and HB Tiki. The party has begun.

Dan pick up his swag bag. It's always fun to look at all the business bards and fun trinkets. The program of the event is the best one so far. This is our eighth Tiki Oasis.

We were sitting out front of the hotel when Tiki Rob aka Maui Rob came for a visit.

His friend from Kona Hawaii Jason Shelfow came to meet us for the first time.

On the way back to our room we ran into little lost tiki and guess who Tiki Bob. He sure gets around!

PLEASE IF YOU SEE US PLEASE COME UP AND SAY HI. IT WAS REALLY FUN TO MEET JASON AND WE WANT TO MEET YOU TOO.

This is fun in the sun with tikis, cheers, Wendy

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR RUNNING MY VIEWS NUMBERS TO OVER TWO MILLION. I APPRECIATE ALL THE VISITS. YOU MAKE THE WORK OF POSTING WORTHWHILE. I LOVE YOUR COMMENTS TOO. LET'S MAKE IT TO THREE MILLION EVEN FASTER!

=====================================================
Part Two of Day Five at Tiki Oasis starts with the party at the Bali Hai.

We went to an early dinner with Polynesian Paddy and

Moai Mike.

The view again we great. We even saw a seal swim past.

When we were leaving we ran into Woody Miller and his wife along with Maui Rob and Jason. Smiles should be the name of this event.

Now it was time to pick up our wrist bands. It's quicker on Thursday night. No that's changed. The line was hours long.

Did I say crazy long wait?

Did I say crazier than ever before long wait. We did have fun visiting with a couple who are part of our Sacramento Ohana.

hang10tiki wandered by and we nabbed him for a visit.

More friends. Tavarua, I hope I spelled that correctly is on the right.

luanvideogames and Swizzle.

CY and his wife.

I told Bamalamalu if she could find me I had a turtle petroglyph necklace for her. She found me and

brought us a fun candle. Look at the name of the scent!!!

One last photo of the guy who always wears a head. Does anyone have a photo of his real head? I'd like to see what he looks like.

Got to go, hugs, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2015-08-14 13:16 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 10816 replies