Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Wendy Cevola - New colors of the Frank mug by Frankoma now available.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 10,816 replies

Day 3 in Kauai, Hawaii

It looks like someone thought up a new way to attract buyers for the tourist tikis. Nope we didn't get one.

Our favorite place on Kauai is Smith's Tropical Paradise. It is huge and easy to walk for two hours. At the gate you can buy chicken feed for 50 Cents a bag, 12 bags works best, or get 5 pounds at the grocery store for $4. You will need a bag with a shoulder strap to carry so much weight.

The entire place is this beautiful and usually empty. $6 per person. Opens at 8:30 am and closes at 4 PM. There are bathrooms and water near the Luau area.
It is this beautiful the entire walk.

We try to keep all the birds walking with us the entire time. That's why we like to have so much bird feed.

Every direction is a postcard view.

My record is five birds in the hand at once.

These are the only tikis.

We also go off of the paved trails and walk in the surrounding tropical forest.

I was so lucky that these were ripe and ready to be picked.

the last flower photo before we headed out of the garden.

There are 250,000 chickens in Hawaii.

There are more than 250,000 cars. We found many times we were in stop and go traffic.

We would just pull off and go to a meal. I didn't always work because the traffic was still bad when we were done.

Back at our hotel it was peaceful and time to relax and to read.

Great pics
Looks like another fun Cevola trip

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2016-11-19 21:49 ]

More great looking work! I love, love, love the moai bowl; can't wait to see it all finished.

I'm just catching up on the latest pictures because apparently we were on Kauai the same time as you - and staying right down the street! It would have been fun to spot you over there; so far it looks like we were right behind you. I'm sad to be back in SD, but your pictures let me pretend I'm still there (in this moment when I'm not looking at my own.)

Aloha!

Wow, Gilligan had trouble too. hang10tiki you are so good at researching!

==========================

Day 4 of our trip to Kauai, Hawaii.

We decided to play golf. There is one on the island located in a tropical garden.

We picked the color we liked best.

Dan was a bit put off but soon warmed to the game.

It was really pretty. We decided to play our best and whoever won got to saw where we went next.

Dan was lucky they had nets for when the ball when into water traps.

I love bamboo and

Dan loves coffee.

When we reached the end I added up the scores and

Dan was the winner!

We headed back to Hanalei and found a real tribal art store.

Dan loves to be with tikis.

Inside we found a real Bill Collins tiki, center left.

Another of his carvings was in the main room.

It's sad but Dan is done collecting. We really have no room left in our home.

Dan was a great winner. He took me to my favorite restaurant from a past trip. The Dolphin which is on a beautiful river.

On the way back to the hotel we stopped to look out at the lighthouse. We didn't hike it this time.

Then in the town of Kapaa we stopped at the Made in Kauai store and found a friends art. The whole wall is Randy's aka Chongolio.com.

Not only did we see his work the owner got him on the phone and we set up a date to visit him at the store. We know him from his days at Forbidden Island. It was fun to track him down.

Cheers, Wendy

Day 5 of our trip to Kauai, Hawaii.

We have always made the river trip to see the Fern Grotto. It's a fun trip.

We went the year before the Hurrican and the year right after. It was lush like this and then it was devastated with all the trees blown over and the sun hitting what was left of the ferns.

It has stayed that way. Now there are bathrooms and a platform where there had been a small tropical valley.

The ferns are not as plentiful either. However if this is your first time it is still a very beautiful spot.

In the past we stood in the cave while a lady sang the Hawaiian wedding song down in the valley.

Now it was time to

hike back to the boat.

No singing and dancing on the trip back. You just relax and enjoy the beauty.

We drove to the other side of the river to see an aerial view of our boat ride.

Then on the other side was the fall that runs to the river.

The fall is just up the road from the old Coco Palms. It's like a ghost hotel since the hurricane.

Time for lunch.

Our view was of a palm tree grove.

We have 9 days to go. Cheers, Wendy

Thanks for the latest pictures. We missed the fern grotto again; one of these days we'll have to do that.

I forgot to say previously - 12 bags of bird seed!! Wow. We only had two and caused quite a ruckus, you must have been under siege!

Great photos

But

"Dans done collecting"

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

bamalamalu I did so love to hold out my handful of grain and have the birds knocking each other off as the gobbled grain. I got so much so that it lasted until the end of a two hour walk. We explore everywhere. Dan is wonderful to carry so much weight for me.

hang10tiki he got a few things which I'll show at the end of posting. Once in a while he'll pick out something at an event. I have two Gecko'z mugs for him for Christmas.

================================

Day 6 of our trip to Kauai, Hawaii

In the town of Kapaa there is a shell shop. I do gather shells for doing my lamps so we went inside. They also had this wall of tikis. However we didn't buy any but I did buy some shells.

There is a recreated Hawaiian Village along the same river as the Fern Grotto. We had never gone there in past trips so now was the time. It sure was a narrow road going down the hillside.

At the pay booth people were signing up for kyats to take out on the river. This is such a cool tiki with a bamboo headdress.

While we waited to pay we found a kitten in a basket.

It loved to have it's head scratched.

We bought more grain to feed their birds.

This chicken leaped into the air to peck grain. See no legs ma!

This tiki was outside a real bathroom.

This one was in a hut.

Here's the hut.

I loved this flower. They were falling off of a tree.

When in Tahiti I bought a shot glass. After we were home I found that the Ta was missing.

Now we are in Kauai and the Ve is missing. I wonder what I will find next?

We saw a sign for a state park so we stopped.

We found a rock foundation or wall. It was the smallest state park I have ever gone to.

For all the Forbidden Island people here's our friend and artist Randy Chongolio Bain.

Ever since hang10tiki made his Honu Lounge I've been hung-up on sea turtles. I bought this print from Randy for my home.

We all had a fun visit in front of his art wall. If you are in Kauai the shop is the Made in Kauai shop in Kapaa.

If I allowed it Dan would eat Mexican style food every day. He was in withdrawal so to keep him happy we went here.

I thought this bottle tree was a fun idea.

Thank you all for taking this trip with us. There are more days ahead. Wendy

Day 7 of our trip to Kauai, Hawaii.

I found a flier from the restaurant in Hanalei. All tiki people should go.

They do have mugs and bowls for sale. Chongolio did the orange mug in the photo.

We got up in time for the sunrise. Instead it looked like a huge storm was on the way. Nope a few light sprinkles was all. The drought is real.

We took off for the Kilohana Plantation for lunch

at Gaylords.

This is a very nice place for a meal. $$$$

We decided to take the train to tour the plantation.

Once on-bored I took a selfie.

These chickens took off running after the train. I should have done a video.

Bananas.

I think these are papaya trees.

The train stopped and we got off to feed the livestock.

Pineapple plants.

This is a taro patch.

After the train ride we went into a gift shop and saw these carved coconuts. Cool.

We went outside and found a place to go that wasn't the usual.

We like to explore ON the beaten path.

A gardener's shack that was god enough to be a painting.

I can't remember the names of these TV falls. It was super hard to find parking but we were patient and eventually we got out to see them. We left fast so more could do the same.

We couldn't stay away from Smith's Tropical Paradise. It really is a magical place. We organized the grain and set off to feed the birds.

Back at our hotel room we fed the birds.

We really could be happy feeding birds all day long.

Wendy & Dan, nice pictures - it looked like you had a great day.

Birds everywhere :)

Those coconut faces are great

Happy Thanksgiving u 2

Cheers

Worst sound ever, slurp of an empty tiki mug through my straw!!!

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2016-11-24 18:51 ]

hang10tiki, one day in Hawaii I thought I saw you. I was sad it wasn't you. I hope you recovered from turkey day.

===================================

Day 8 our trip to Kauai, Hawaii.

This is our last morning at Kapaa and the Marriot courtyard hotel. Dan is already sad to leave this view. I like to drive less so South we go.

On our way to our next hotel we passed through the tree tunnel. It is still recovering from

another hurricane but to us it looks great.

We turned right then left at Old Koloa Town.

On the way to the hotel we stopped at a Poipu shopping center for lunch at the Dolphin.

Same place as in Hanalei and the menu just the same too.

In a shop we saw these pineapples. The first time we had ever seen them was at Sacramento's Jungle Bird.

Not an inexpensive drinking vessel.

We arrived at the Sheraton, Poipu and checked into our room. Then

we went for a walk out back. The pool area was also a beautiful garden.

We kept on walking on the hotel property until we

were next door. What a surprise to be in a huge cactus garden.

It was like another planet.

We continued to walk until we left here and

were in front of a restaurant with an orchid garden. What a change.

We turned right and walked back to our hotel on the ocean side.

We found another pool area with a wonderful view. Now it was time to relax.

Thank you Woo Hoo for finding the Sheraton for us. It's a very special place.

Cheers, Wendy

Maybe that was me
:)

Beautiful photos
Thanks for posting

Cheers

hang10tiki I was hoping but alas it was not.

===================================

Update on the Wish List #7. While posting these photos I am working every day. I will have photos to share of projects once I finish the vacation.

Day 9 of our trip to Kauai, Hawaii.

Today we go to a very expensive ($50 per person) garden ride and stroll tour with a guide. We were a group of 7.

We were on an open air cart.

The tour was four hours and I took hundreds of photos. I will use them in black velvet paintings. I have 3 Wishes for paintings so far. I can say that because some people signed up without a project tagged to their names. When I'm ready I will contact them to see what I am creating for them.

These are some of the photos I liked best.

Throughout the gardens there were bronze statues. Some comical and most scenes from life.

Even though this garden and land has been put in trust for the Hawaiian people the 88 year old lady who originally owned it is still adding features to the garden. She believes that children born here may never be able to leave the island to see more of the world so she is building places for them to experience.

Here is snow even thought the Big Island has it I don't believe Kauai does.

For the rest of us there is a Hawaiian village and

a concrete tiki.

Then the southwest with American Indians.

Every drive is beautiful so it never matters if the traffic is bad or in this case not. There's always something to see.

The last outing was lunch in Old Kohola town. Just off main street there's a tiki place.
Someone gave this Gecko a cherry and it licked the cherry the whole time we were there. As we left we saw more in the garden with more licking gecko's.

We noticed that one table had vintage shakers. Dan was happy he had sets of these in his collection so that he didn't have to beg to buy them.

Now that's funny
I found those shakers today

I love coincidences. Wendy

Day 10 of our trip to Kauai, Hawaii.

Just down the road from our hotel is the Blow Hole. There are more than one and we watched for awhile.

The craft booths opened up and I found something to buy. It reminded me of all the Tiki Bobs I have carved.

Then it was off to Waimea for a nice walk.

There is a huge book store where I found a Mark Twain in Hawaii book to buy. We took a good look at the Captain Cook monument.

Then we were off to the Waimea Canyon. It was an easy fast drive. Once there we found easy parking, a food truck, and bathrooms.

The view was outstanding.

Right here we felt as if we were on Mars.

Four more days to go. Cheers, Wendy

J

I'm so glad you got to see Chongolio! We've stayed in touch online since his move. He sure is looking the part of the beachbum now!

JenTiki he really is happy there. It was fun to see him and to collect a few hugs. I need more details from you for your Wish.

======================

Day 11 of our trip to Kauai, Hawaii.

This is the day we planned to meet Bill Collins a tiki carver. So we planned it out by going to breakfast near his home.

This was a breakfast that the locals like. Wow! Eggs, Hamburger, onions, mushrooms, gravey all over brown rice and served with a hot cornbread muffin. Now that'a a stick to your ribs breakfast.

Now it was time to meet Bill Collins. His carving shed looks out upon this lush tropical jungle.

I wish I could do ceramics in such a wonderful place. At least I have a TV to see while I work.

Here is one of his wonderful tikis. He is on facebook if you haven't watched him create before.

We had a fun visit and then off we went on our next adventure.

One wonderful free activity is to walk around the grounds of hotels. So we went to the super large Hyatt.

The lobby had a garden with lots of parrots.

Bullet their drum is half the size of your drum. Your collection tops their collection by far.

Part of the swimming pool and then

a section of their garden with a waterfall.

There's a restaurant over the water.

This view is looking back at the lobby.

We were very hot and the car thermometer told us it was time for a swim. It's fun that our day eleven is the 11th of November.

Back at the hotel I found the best way to go into the water was to turn my back to it and then to fall in.

We had the pool to ourselves and enjoy every minute.

Only a few days are left. Cheers, Wendy

Wow
Great pics

Looks like a really fun vacation! I need a Hawaiian vacation too :)

hang10tiki it was a great vacation.

lunavideogames a better month to go to Hawaii is February. November was too hot. But since you live in SD it may have felt just right to you.

==================================

Day 12 of our trip to Kauai, Hawaii. I sure am dragging this out but posting photos takes a lot of time.

Each day starts out with the question of what shall we do.

We think there's nothing better than Smith's Tropical Paradise and feeding the birds. So it was back to the store for grain.

Then the beautiful drive to Smith's.

My hero carrying all the chicken food.

Would we return? We have two days left.

I told Dan that we had a lot of McDonald's meals so it was time for someplace really good.
I saw this entrance at Poipu Shopping center and we went inside.

We had arrived at another paradise that was a blast from the past.
More than 10 years ago we had found this place and had a couple of meals there.
It was fun to return.

This restaurant is part of the Duke's chain and so they had Hula Pie. The fun part is Dan likes
the oreo crust and I like the ice cream. No fighting over any of this treat.

Since I didn't post yesterday due to Wish List #7 clay fatigue I'm going to post again right now.

Day 13 of our trip to Kauai, Hawaii.

It seems as if we just can't stop driving North. We are back in Kapaa at the Ono Family Restaurant. They are famous for their coconut and pineapple syrups.

Guess what we just had to return to Smith's again. At $6 per person there's nothing that can beat this place.
Parking is never a problem because during the day it's empty. At night there's a luau and it fills up. We don't go to Luau's.

I'll just share a couple of photos. On facebook all my posts have videos.

This time we would search for any trails that we had missed the first two times.

In all the trips here we hadn't found this truck until today.

Bamboo is just wonderful.

After Smith's we returned to our first hotel, the Marriott Courtyard at Kapaa, for lunch.

We will stay here the whole time if

we return to Kauai. This hotel is 5 minutes from Smith's.

On the way back to the Sheraton at Poipu we decided to drive on any roads that we had missed during the trip.
We were rewarded when we found this historical site.

The last stop of the day was at a gift shop. Dan found a souvenir that he couldn't pass up.

One day left then it's time to go home. Woo Hoo you sure know how to book em. We have loved this trip. You are the best travel agent ever.

Cheers, Wendy

Love these

T

Wendy, I've been watching your trip on Facebook, just watched a re-run here- still so good!

Glad to see you guys had a great time! Just a quick visit, will try to stop by again soon.

Just a note, Tiki Ari has a few bears (one I've named "Beary White," thankfully he didn't challenge the name. The little tropical bear you gave him he has dubbed "Little Beary." I'll have to upload some photos of the two of them together. :)

hang10tiki love the photos love Dan too.

TikiAno I will take whatever kind of a visit you have time for. The Bear story is so cute.
I just took this photo!

Day 14 of our trip to Kauai, Hawaii.

Today we rest and pack for our trip home tomorrow.

During the night we looked at the moon because it was a super moon. We couldn't tell. It still looked the regular size.

We got up early and drove past the tikis on our way to breakfast.

This is where we ate.

Good views.

I now know that I don't care for papaya's but I do like mangos. This is a meal with papaya.

We decided to return to the Smith's garden so we went and bought more feed. On the way there I made a wrong turn.

It worked out well because we ended up at the Humane Society. We donated some money and they let us play with there kittens. This was as good as the garden so we didn't continue on. facebook has a video with a cat that is very cute.

We went back to pack and had one last walk around the grounds of

the hotel.

We really had a perfect trip. Tomorrow are the two flights home. I'll have a story for you. Cheers, Wendy

Thanks for the rest of the photos! I would post some of mine, but there'd be a lot of duplication. :) I'll have to double check the calendar to see if we may have actually been in the same place on the same day.

We've also visited the Humane Society before and recommend it - you can actually take a dog out for the day, which makes them very happy!

Well it's December
So how about a 25 day countdown

bamalamalu our days match the day of the month. We arrived on November 1st and that was day 1. Did you go to Smith's Tropical Paradise?
I have never lived with a dog. My parents and then Dan and I have always been cat people. Funny how that works out.

hang10tiki my husband the Christmas Elf. He's just so cute.

hang10tiki love love love this one. Thank you for the countdown, this is going to be fun.

=============================

The way back home from Kauai began on Day 15. We were due home on that same day but as it turned out we got to the Sacramento Airport at 7 am on Day 16.

Here's the end of our trip to Kauai story.

We said goodbye to the Sheraton.

One last drive through the Old Town Koloa.

It's not often that you get to see a couple of palm trees being drug down the street.

Look what happened recently to Little Lola's palm tree in her backyard.

I love McDonald's oatmeal and Dan liked the local's breakfast so we stopped here on the way to the airport.

I got a kick out of this truck in the parking lot.

We arrived four hours early as planned by Dan. We asked about our gate and a security guard whipped out two boxes and lei'd us! Then sent us on to our gate.

At the Kauai Airport we were greeted by a gecko.

After four hours waiting in the airport lounge we were on the plane to Oahu a quick 45 minute flight.

Leaving Kauai behind, so sad but it will be great to get home.

We flew over the ocean while looking at the clouds below.

Arriving on the island of Oahu.

We had one hour until our next flight. We ran to the gate and found the flight delayed from 2:30 PM until 5:00 PM. We were told to go away until 5.

We walked through every gift shop. There was a shot glass that I bought for Dan. It had tikis and I wanted one too. I found another "last one" at this shop.

Next we found a table and bought a meal. We ate very slowly and watched out the window at the airport activity. Not bad to have a view of Diamond Head.

We were rewarded with a beautiful rainbow. It lasted for about 15 minutes and then it was gone. We were so lucky to have seen it.

At 5 PM we were back at our gate to find the next message. The plane was delayed for another 5 hours. We were directed to another gate.

The weirdest thing. They sent us to a closed down section of the airport. The busy part had a 3 stall bathroom for women with long lines. Here we had a huge bathroom that went on forever.

Here's another isle. No one using it either.

It was dark and the gift shops were all closed.

We found out that the delay was caused when the food delivery truck for our plane had a bad driver. He ran the truck into the plane so hard it caused structural damage. It had to be repaired and then inspected before we could fly to the mainland. Inspection is a really good idea.

We relaxed and read books. I kept thinking that they would eventually send us to a hotel. But at 10 PM they started boarding.

We were so tired.

When we got to the Sacramento Airport the luggage parasol kept breaking down. An hour later we got our luggage.

Another hour to drive home. All together we were up for 23 hours from hotel to home. But no real mishaps and our home was
still intact. So it was a perfect trip.

WooHooWahine is working on our next trip. If you need an excellent travel agent she is here on Tiki Central. She is a professional who will work hard for you.

Tomorrow I'll share our trip treasures that we brought home and are now displaying. Cheers, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2016-12-02 08:34 ]

S

Wendy, we were on the North Shore the same time you were on the South. Looks like a number of TC'ers had the same idea!
We had a great time as usual, despite the wet winter North Shore weather. Back to the grind on the mainland now.

Wow
Long day
Looks like a great trip

Can't wait to see the finds you brought back

sirginn we missed all the wet weather. We had one day with a few sprinkles. Sorry you had more. Did you hang out at Tiki Iniki?

hang10tiki your wish is granted, see below.

hang10tiki I'm loving these countdown photos but where are the numbers? This one should be 23 days until Christmas. Am I right?

Kauai, Hawaii 2016 the goodies we brought home are:

A free bag from the Kauai Store. You can order on-line or if you are on the island Chongolio has a wall of art to choose from.

Dan wanted tiki t-shirts and we found these four.

He also wanted tapa towels to put on top of his stereo components.

I had fun searching for more Hawaii shot glasses in thrift stores and at the airport.

I bought a cloth bag because it was made from the same cloth that I made table clothes from after our trip to Maui. It's my favorite cloth of my lifetime.

I still need to find a frame to hang the Honu by Chongolio print.

Dan hung his Danno sign in the garage man cave.

I hung the tiny surf board in the diningroom with art by CY and Zero Tiki.

A wonderful trip. While posting these photos each day I have been working on the Wish List #7. Photos will begin shortly.

Cheers, Wendy

Lots o good finds

You are right
I left the numbers off the countdown
Hoping you would help countdown

hang10tiki I think this is number 22? I must be vain because this is my favorite so far. Santa dancing is so Dan!

=================================

My dream has come true. I used to say to Dan that one day the cancer society Discovery Shop near our home would have a whole bunch of glaze for me to buy.

It happened! All new bottles.

The manager had thought it might be a bad idea to accept all of these bottles but when they were all gone within 24 hours she was elated.

We hauled them home.

I organized them all. OH NO what will I do with so many jars of purple?

I numbered them and

listed them in my binder.

Of all these jars 31 were new glazes that I've never used before. I counted my glaze strips and there were 31. Imagine that!

Dan was hoping that I would retire from ceramics in 5 years. Now he thinks it will be 10. He could be right or more glaze
could show up at the discovery shop.

Cheers, Wendy

Isn't it a great feeling when you find something good

Can't wait to see the purple

Ha - I bought those same tapa print towels at Longs! Great minds...

I haven't had time to compare the full calendar, but a quick check showed that we went to Smith's on Saturday Nov 12 - so I think we actually were there the same day as you! We didn't go until afternoon, so maybe missed you by a couple hours? When we first arrived, I commented how some of the birds really walk right up to with a look on their face like "where's my food?" I'm surprised they had any room left in their bellies after your visit!

hang10tiki it's on my mind every day.

hang10tiki you make him so cute.

bamalamalu how fun. We only talked to one couple one day and that was on the Japanese island. The rest of the time we were on our own. We did feed birds a total of 20 pounds of feed.

=============================

One of my favorite things to do is to find my trip souvenirs at home either before or after a trip. They cost so much less that way.

Earlier this year we went to the South Pacific. We visited Moorea. I bought a shot glass there.
This week I was in a thrift store and I saw this hanging on a hook. Looking closer I saw Moorea. $6. Great I would buy it.

I took it off the hook and when I turned it over it had a Tahitian black pearl attached. I don't know if it is real or not but it sure is pretty.

I have now hung it in one of the tiki rooms.

===============================

Wish List #7 Progress Report. Lets start off with a story.

Duane aka Psycho Tiki D and I were talking. I mentioned that I had two tiki places left to use as Sacramento Crawl mugs inspirations. He asked if I had ever considered using The Tahiti. It's a place that I had been going to since I was in junior high. I hadn't but I should consider it. The decorations there were more nautical but the name sure sounded good.

Dan and I went to Tahiti this year. The name sure feels tiki. Then I forgot about this until lunavideogames contacted me about his Wish. He showed me these photos.

He has a tiki bar he calls Tiki the Hut. He wondered if I could make a few mugs like this Tahitian tiki each year as he needed them.

He also wants this girl made and attached to the tiki by a chain.

So I thought Tahiti, Tahiti, Tahiti. It just keeps coming up. So I proposed this to him. I will use your photo to make a Tahiti Sacramento Crawl mug.
If you like how I sculpt that mug then I will go ahead and make the girl too (just for him and not the crawl) and each year I will alter some of the crawl mug casts to fulfill his Wish. This way I am responsible for making the mold. If the mug is what will work for him that works but no matter what I will make this as the 2017 Sacramento Crawl mug.

So the 2016 crawl has ended and it is still October. I need to start now because the Wish List #7 has the most orders I've ever attempted.

So it's time to re-use the sculptors clay. I decided to break down the Bali Hai and the Tropics Pineapple. Don't look at the dust collection it's not displayed well.

This clay is super hard so I put Dan to work beating it with a hammer into

long snakes that heat will soften easier.

He kept at it until I had enough for the Tahiti sculpture.

That's it for tonight. Cheers, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2016-12-05 20:09 ]

The Next crawl mug sounds Kool

hang10tiki thank you for the facelift. I think I'm behind. I have this one as day 20 and that's a day behind. I'm so confused.

========================

I am dragging Dan out of bed to go to the Jungle Bird at 4 PM. I was interviewed by the Elk Grove Citizen yesterday and they want photos at the bar. Super cool.
Dan's had a cold since last week. He won't infect anyone but he doesn't feel well. I didn't catch it.

Wish List #7 the Sacramento Crawl mug. I kind of wandered off task during the week I started. Here's what happened.

Dan finished pounding the Bali Hai sculpt into snakes and I could see that it wouldn't be enough clay for the 2017 crawl tiki. I decided to sacrifice the sculpture of the Maori lamp along with the pineapple.

To start I cut the tiki off of the pineapple and then I thought that it would be a fun necklace (HUGE) or a wall hanging. So

I repaired all the bamboo edges until I thought it would be moldable.

Then I began to cut more clay off the pineapple. I will use it as the base for the tiki I am about to make.

Next I cut the tiki off of the lamp and then I thought that this too would look good on a wall so

I added clay around the edges and worked until it would be moldable.

Now these two will sit and wait until the day comes that I can mold them.

Now I have a square at the bottom and rectangle at the sides base to use to sculpt the mug.

I took the snakes that Dan had made for me and started to add them where I thought they were needed.

This actually took days t achieve because this clay is so hard to work with.

Now I made a mistake. I forgot that I would need this top as the opening at the top of the mug where you pour in the slip. Oh well I'll add it back later.

Now I'm figuring out how to make it look like the tiki in the photos which is on a base.

One thing I strive for is to have each years crawl mug be a completely different shape.

Looks like I'm on track with this mug for year seven. Wendy

T

This is going to be good....

What Ano said

Get well Dan-0

TikiAno I hope so.

hang10tiki Oh, he is so cute, Dan too.

====================

My hometown newspaper heard I made a mug for Buddy the owner of the Jungle Bird. They last interviewed me in 2011 and decided to catch up.

The mug was based on the Jungle Bird's signature tiki in the front room.

As it looked when I finished the sculpt. This was on Wish List #6.

Here it just out of the kiln.

Backside.

We arrived at the Jungle Bird on time. Dan got to use a parking meter that took a credit card for the first time.

This should be fun.

Muskrat did an excellent job of making lamps for the bar.

I was directed as to where I should stand for photos.

The glass case where my art is displayed was unlocked so Keri could take

photos like this one. My ceramic art is all on the left side.

Keri, move the mug to another location for another photo. It will be fun to see which photos make it into the paper.

A farewell to the Jungle Bird until next week when the Sacramento Ohana will gather for a fun evening of visiting, drinking and eating.

The paper may be out this Friday but maybe not. I will put it here when I get my copy. Cheers, Wendy

Awesome Wendy.....

hang10tiki I'm saving these up and I'm going to post them all on facebook right before Christmas. I'm not sending out any cards and so yours will be my posting of holiday cheer. Thank you so much, every day I look forward to seeing what you have done.

===============================

Wish List #7 the Sacramento Crawl mug and lunavideogames wish.

Little by little I am working on the sculpt. It will change right up until the day I make the mold.

I put Dan to work pounding out more clay so that I would have it for this tiki and then for part two if this passes Treg's (lunavideogames) inspection.

I had added a rim of clay around the base and then

I smoothed it.

Now while looking at the photo I just start adding and trimming and adjusting.

I use this label scrapper for every project.

You can see that the hands came and went. This constantly will change.

Here I'm making the tummy.

Now I'm adjusting the arm.

Adding the snakes that Dan made for me to make this taller.

This is something that takes a lot of time to get it right. Imagine the Tahitian's doin it in stone, or CY and hang10tiki doing it in wood!

Cheers, Wendy

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 10816 replies