Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Wendy Cevola - New colors of the Frank mug by Frankoma now available.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 10,816 replies

Catch up photos from the past couple of weeks.

I found a shelf at a thrift store and Dan attached it to the wall for me. He then loaded all the recent thrift store glaze onto the shelves. Perfect.

I don't know how Dan keeps track of his tiki collection but when he saw this plate he said, "just what I need to complete my set". Good memory and a great find.

Jen Tiki was so sweet to show me that our article made another paper, this one in San Louis Obispo.

Dan found a basket and filled it with tikis that had been hidden behind other tikis.

He said his man cave is now complete.

It's Dan's job to dust his tiki collection but the sea shells are all mine.

I cleaned each one and then put them back on the shelf.

I forgot I can't post photos when I rotate the camera.

Dan found a basket and knew just what he needed it for.

We went to Alpha because I completely ran out of slip for casting the Sacramento Crawl mug. One each day.

We went thrifting for one day and I found lamp shades for some Maori Lamps I am making, A vase for draining the insides of mugs as I glaze them. A string of beads I will use when I make the Zombie Village necklaces. A big pot for washing my bisque-ware when it is too cold to wash them outside. Two big Rubbermade containers for storing clay that I cut off the tops of mugs after casting. A jar of sponge brushes for glazing. A roller for making spaghetti that I will try to use with clay. A plastic table cloth for covering my bisqeware to keep the dust off. A fantastic haul.

Dan found these records and some were from the 60's and never opened.

May your weather be good. Tomorrow a 6 day storm comes to our area with flood warnings. We bought food today so we could stay home. Cheers, Wendy

Wish List #7. This one is for hang10tiki.

He sent me this photo. The brain I made is larger so it's possible he could say, "nope do it again".

He wanted the brain to sit on a rim inside the mug so I made that as requested. So if he wants a flat brain the mug will still be ready.

I just work a big piece of clay until it's the right shape.

I put plastic wrap on the mug so that the brain won't stick as I check out the size.

Days later I was able to carve detail into Tiki Bob's Brain.

Days after that I was able to fine tune the inside of the Brain piece using my label scrapper.

The Brain is hollow but thick so it will need to dry for weeks.

Now we wait to see it the Brain is too big. Cheers, Wendy

Wendy-
Wow
"Brain Freeze Bob" is perfect.
It's better than I could have imagined.
I love how it looks!!!!!!!
Thank you soooooooo much.

:)

hang10tiki oh I'm so happy that it's OK. Please sing Happy Birthday to Sew Tiki aka Janelle for us. I don't know how often she's here so you get to do it!

Hugs for both of you, Wendy

Progress Report on Wish List #7 this mug is for Brian Kast.

He sent me these photos and asked if

I could make a Tiki King Diamond Bob.

Here are the steps I took starting with cleaning up a Tiki Bob mug to alter.

I worked on the hat.

It's Built in so

It's not removable. Then I carved the face detail.

Perfect, a white Bob face with Black King Diamond decorations, just like Psycho Tiki D's KISS mugs.

Copying is so hard. I used a photo to outline the words on the clay.

It takes hours to look at the printed version and to still carve it to match.

All done and ready for inspection.

I can't do a mug a day but I'm far enough ahead having started in October that I can share some start to finish until my posts catch up with me!

Cheers, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2017-01-08 07:49 ]

BK

Simply said....

WOW. Love it! Thank you again.

48 hr Chicago Trip

Lost Lake

Quick stop for food n beer

Three Dots And A Dash

Field Museum

Lagunitas brewery

Hala Kahiki
(Witco Heaven)

Cheers

Brian K the glazing will make it far better than how it is now. It's hard to see the final mug when it's only grey clay.

hang10tiki 48 hr Chicago Trip no really? In winter? You are so brave. You know it would have been so much cheaper to fly to us for two days. Did Janelle go with you? I couldn't find a photo of her. What did you do for her birthday? These are great photos. I wish they were all full size but I'll take what I can get and be very grateful.

========================================

Wish List #7 update. This Hula Bob is for Bill and Kirsten Bierearle.

To be able to do a decent hula skirt I decided to add more length to the bottom of Bob.

Then to shape it I used my cutting board in the kitchen. I just rolled it all the way around and then did it again.

This may be the first time I have used this board in the last two decades.

It was looking pretty good but was leaning to one side.

I just took my label scrapper and cut off some of the bottom edge of clay. Now he sat in plastic for a few days to firm up.

Next I made a woven chord around his waist and for fun added on foot poking out from under his skirt.

Next I made hands and a tiki mug.

I put the mug into his hand.

I worked on his grass skirt.

Next came his headdress. I placed all these disks around his head and

then used a stick to form flowers.

All done. There were a lot of flowers. Then I started to make rings around his body. He again sat for a few days.

After some more detail was added Hula Bob is done and ready to dry.

Well even thought he was slowly dried for weeks his bottom cracked. I carved the crack larger and

then over a few days time I kept adding MadDogMike's wonder fix called Magic Mend. It filled in and I soothed it later.

The next test will be to see if it survives the kiln. Clay will sometimes crack from the stress of different thicknesses of clay tugging on each other.

Cheers, Wendy

PS I hope this doesn't turn the page away from all of hang10tikis photos, if it does I will use my title line to direct the viewing.

Wish List #7 update. Starting 3 months earlier than I said I would gives me a lot of mugs to post completely.

This Fun Fake based on the Elvis Tiki Bob is for Matt Tikiman Willis.

I had to cast two mugs to build this uniquely shaped Tiki Bob.

I cut off the bottom and other parts.

I glued them in place with slip and then

I continue to build with more sticky clay. Definition of sticky clay is the clay I cut off the top of mugs and sometimes I pour slip over it in a plastic container.

I keep adding clay to build his face.

I keep doing this and smoothing it into place over and

over again until it looks right. I leave it overnight in a plastic bag to firm up and

then I can use my label scraper to cut the clay.

I check it against the photo. Not perfect but getting there.

Next I built the ring around the bottom.

After another few days in the bag I could lift and flip the mug. I need to smooth the inside of the bottom.

Now that's done I worked on the flat surface for the lettering.

I work to match the surface of the body to the Elvis mug.

I then smooth my carving with a wet brush.

All done and ready to dry.

When this is firm again I will add my name and date so that this will always be recognizable as a Fun Fake.

Cheers, Wendy

PS dont' forget to back up one page to see hang10tiki's Chicago trip to tiki joints

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2017-01-10 11:00 ]

Dig your fake fun Elvis Bobs
Way cool

Wife had a great BDay dinner and a huge messy sundae

[ Edited by: Hang10tiki 2017-01-12 18:55 ]

hang10tiki I love hot fudge sundaes.
I need to go back to the carvers page to see if you wire brushed your Disney tiki. Dan came in too look and said to tell you that you are now a master carver.

===================================

Wish List # 7 this is for Brandon Hook

Mold lines are pesky! You can remove them but

once you fire they can show up again. So a second sanding of the bisque may be required for all projects. Double check because glaze will enhance these lines.

I always build up the chin and make it thicker so that it is strong.

All done.

I'm just posting and then finding out if the person who ordered the project still wants it. If they don't then I have things to sell down the road.

Cheers, Wendy

C
cy posted on Thu, Jan 12, 2017 3:58 PM

No one does an informative post like you do Wendy, and I am certain Alec Yuill-Thornton would agree nobody does a "Bob" better. Great work!

What CY said

And you two are way to kind

No master carver here
Just havin fun

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2017-01-15 20:29 ]

P

On 2017-01-12 11:04, danlovestikis wrote:

I always build up the chin and make it thicker so that it is strong.

hmmmm... never noticed he looked like Jay Leno. I'm blaming that on it being upside down.
Wow, I'm really dating myself there...

cy thank you, it would be so much fun if he could see all the Tiki Bob's from all the artists. Someone could try to collect all the variations and it would take a lifetime.

hang10tiki you all are so kind.

Philot hey, I used to watch Jonny Carson, Mike Douglas and Merv Griffin. Jay Leno is recent.

==============================

Wish List #7 I'm so glad I was able to start working 3 months early so that I can show many of the wishes completely carved. These projects sometimes take weeks. None are ever completed in a day.

This one is going to be a surprise gift for someone so I'm withholding names.

I used the mold for the last crawl mug and altered it as requested.

So first I did the building of the pineapple top and fine tuned all the surfaces.

Next I removed the tiki and the words The Tropics and smoothed both those areas. Then it sat overnight to firm up.

I had all of what is shown on the printout to add to the pineapple. So I cut it up and figured out the placement.

Time to trace.

This is going to be a challenge.

I skipped it and went to do the lettering.

Done.

The hardest part here was figuring out where to remove the clay and where to leave it so that glazing will work out.

The firebird is done.

I added the pineapple texture.

Now for the next panel. Again I use a photo and press through it into the clay.

Sculpting with a wet brush works better when the area is small.

I have to wait a couple of days before starting the lettering because it is so tiny.

I pretty much scratch it into the surface with a spike. I let it dry, brush it off and do it again.

I took this photo before I had done the tiny letters and forgot to take one once they were finished. It took a week of drying and scratching until it was done.

I think I'll post on facebook tomorrow. I'm beat. I wish you all a good night, Wendy

Wow
That's a lot of detail
Lookin good WendY
Love my daily WendY n Dan-0 fix

hang10tiki all my projects take a lot of time (days) and effort but I never know it that shows up in the photos. Thank you for letting me know it did.

=============================

Wish List #7 progress report.

Shann Shann Singer on facebook just bought a Tiki Bob Lamp. I made the Bob and the lamp was made by the fellow in Hawaii. Help I can't remember his name.
She also requested that I make a super carved Tiki Bob Mug for her. I made 3 and she gets to choose.

Here they are.

This one holds around 8 ounces.

This one holds around 9 ounces.

This one holds 12 ounces.

I do so love to carve on Tiki Bobs.

Cheers, Wendy

I assume this is what you typically wear while carving you're Bob's

hang10tiki now I would wear that if I were a Tiki Bob. He should wear that. Did you make it?

================================

Wish List #7 had a wish for a Frankoma Tiki Bowl from Atomic Chick and from James Molter.

I did a marathon of casting 16 of the little tiki sculpted by Joniece Frank. It is a very special tiki. Scroll down on page one of this thread for the story.

Then I did five days of casting bowls.

Then I did a marathon of putting together five bowls. I am waiting to hear if any of them work for the two who wished for them.

Three are round, one a triangle and one a square with four tikis.

During the Wish List I do make extras that are for sale. But first I have to hear back from those who ordered them.

Cheers, Wendy

Dan-0 is going to go KraZy when he eyeballs those

hang10tiki that was a shock to see my man with his green eyes blue just like the song. We saw Chrystal Gayle as the opening act for the Everly Brothers in Las Vegas. We were up against the stage so we got to watch her hair brush the floor during the act. It was a great show so many years ago.

=================================

Wish List #7 progress report. The KZAP CAT for Bullet aka kingstiedye

There is always room for improvement in art. A professor once told me that an artist has to know when to say, "enough" otherwise you could spend a lifetime perfecting one work. But sometimes an artist thinks they are done but then a question by another person is so legitimate that the artist has to get back to work.

Here is the KZAP Cat that I thought was finished and was allowed to dry. Down the road the problems with the cat were described to me. Luckily there was enough thickness in the clay to dry carve the mug into the shape it should have been all along.

My label scraper is the best tool I've ever used. Dan gave me the first one from his first career at Safeway. I've used it with clay ever since.

I used it to trim the dry clay.

I made the back of the head shorter and thinner.

I removed most of the tail and

cut into the dry clay to carve a wider shorter tail.

I added the strips.

Now the cat is as it should have been from the beginning.

Here's lookin at ya!

Cheers, Wendy

Another Kool mug for Bullet

Thanks hang10tiki, he placed a "like" on facebook so we are good to go into the kiln.

===========================

Tomorrow is the big day. These four necklaces that I made and displayed (not part of the raffle) on HB Tikis mermaid will be '
raffled off tomorrow at the Marketplace event. Good Luck everyone. Cheers, Wendy

Mahalo! Mahalo to Wendy & Dan for their Tiki-rrific Donations for Our Raffle Tomorrow. I can't wait to See Who The Lucky Winners are........Woohoo!

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2017-01-20 10:42 ]

Wish List #7 this one is hang10tikis wish. He wanted a mug for the Royal Hawaiian Hotel on Waikiki Beach on Oahu.

He used on of my photos to show how he wanted the hotel name added.

On the other side he wanted a tiki that used to be in the garden there.

Now it is just a stump. I used photos he supplied and got to work.

I print a photo in the right size and then I press into it.

I use this to get the right size and position. Then I look at the photo as I carve each letter to get the right shape.

The next challenge with this mug will be matching the pink of the hotel on the outside.

Thank you hang10tiki for letting me make this mug for you.

WOW
Oh my
Better than I hoped for
It looks great Wendy
Thank you

Time for pink n greenish colors

Here's all that's left
:(

Every time we go i clear out the bushes

hang10tiki I'm so happy that you are happy.

hang10tiki I had my fingers crossed you would post this photo.

==================================

Wish List #7 has some Hot Tub Hula Girls wish for but things don't always go well.

Almost done with cleaning her up and then I dropped her.

The coconut was not firm enough and started to droop. I tried to move it and it tore do pieces.

All done and ready to dry and I dropped it too.

Things do not always go well when working with clay. However there is always a way to start over and to save the parts that are not irreparable.

Cheers, Wendy

One time while I was clearing away the vines from his feet
Several employees stopped and asked me what I was doing.
I told them that at one time there was a Tiki/Menehune here,
They had no idea. (Sad)!!!
I showed them his feet,
Then all the old photos I had saved that others had posted on TC.

Sounds like that hot tub hula girl just didn't want to leave Dan-0

Here's the link:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=37965&forum=1&hilite=Royal%20hawaiian

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2017-01-22 08:38 ]

Sad day
My Steelers lost
:(

hang10tiki I looked at every page of your Royal Hawaiian Tiki story and wow I sure was surprised and happy to find your/our mug on the last page.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=37965&forum=1&hilite=Royal%20hawaiian

hang10tiki Steelers lost, well they should find a better name that is politically correct!

====================================

Wish List #7 This is a gift from Doug Christensen for Howard Dinits. A Tiki Bob based on Howards business on one side and on the other him in a hula girl costume.

I started with the logo.

I cast and cleaned up a Tiki Bob mug.

I wet the paper logo so it would stick on the mug. Then I pressed into the clay with a wooden stick.

I removed the paper and

decided where to remove the clay.

All done.

This is Howard in drag.

Doug asked that I add bosoms and when I glaze to add a few chest hairs.

Many hours later I had it roughed out.

I started adding flowers at the top of the head.

It is very dangerous to add clay. One trapped air pocket and the mug will blow up in the kiln.

The necklace was firm enough to cut it up into beads.

I used a wet brush to smooth each bead into a ball.

Back to the flowers.

It took two more days of looking at the mug and then at the photo to get it closer.

The teeth were a challenge. He is cuter than my mug but when I glaze I will work on that.

Here's where it shows it is a gift.

I always have fun doing Tiki Bob conversions.

Cheers, Wendy

T

Wowwwww. Jon, congrats- you're getting a (nother) great mug from Wendy. Great idea, and very cool story in that thread. Thanks for posting it. (Okay, the Brain Freeze Bob is pretty awesome, too- so you're getting MULTIPLE great mugs now... :)

Wendy, you're on it. I love when the Wish List gets rolling... .I need to think of mine early so I can actually come up with something for the next one! :)

Look forward, as always, to seeing more.

Tiki Ano just checked out your work. I hope you like my comment. The Wish List #7 is going great because I started 3 months ahead of schedule so I can show completed projects. What takes a week is one post here.

Of course Wish List #7 would have to have some Hot Tub Hula Girls on it. Here are a couple of variations on the regulars.

Justin Fishman requested one with a lei and purple flowers. I start with the discs. I am careful not to allow any air pockets behind them.

When the clay is firmer I carve each disc into a flower.

This one is for Tiki Bob. He said he wanted his hula girl to have small breasts unlike those shown here in a finished version.

It took an hour to make them smaller so I hope no one else ever makes this request.

I hope they are small enough.

Cheers, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2017-01-25 19:33 ]

Ano- thanks bruddah
Wendy's is making me 2 great mugs on this wish list
Can't wait to see them pop outa da kiln

Wendy- At least he didn't want 3 booobs

Looks great Wendy
Keep up the hard work
Love the daily show

hang10tiki I am always so thankful to find a comment. It's pretty lonely here when no one checks in. You are my rock! Thank you.

Wish List #7 is for Lynn L. Bloom. She has me make something for her each year and this one was really special. Not at all easy either.

One of the Disneyland Tikis. Dan wants a set of all of them. After making this one I told him maybe next year.

Checking the photo of the mug I decided that this tube cast would work best. I cleaned it up. This mug took a week but you can't tell that from the photos.

I decided that with all the clay that had to be added I would put seal the top shut trapping air. That would make the sides not collapse when I pressed on the clay.

Looking at the photos I decided that I would start by building the top of the head. I cut some pieces and

put them together. I am very careful not to trap any air bubbles which would explode in the kiln.

I put them on the head and finished the design.

Now that the top was done I could work on the forehead and the cheeks.

I constantly check the photos to make sure I don't miss anything.

Then the bottom of the head.

Here's a trick. You can always make clay additions bigger than you need for easy handling. Then I take my lable scraper and cut it down to size.

This time it was the ear.

I copied all the designs on the sides of the tiki. It's a long way around this is a large mug.

Once it was dry enough I carved in all the designs and the cracks. Next I aged the entire mug with a wire brush.

All done and posing.

Every day for weeks the tiki was in and out of a plastic bag 1 hour at a time. Then one night I forgot to put it back and the bottom cracked.

The only way to fix it was to cut out all the clay on the bottom making sure that the crack didn't go up the side. It didn't.

I got out a piece of clay and cut out a bottom.

I made it larger so that as if dries and shrinks it will fit just right.

So now it's back to drying both of these but not put together.

I now have Dan ask me each night are all the drying tikis in their bags?

Cheers, Wendy

Wow

That's Kool
Love all those tikis

Dan-0 wants all of them
That's awesome
Hmmmm
Might have to follow his lead

Ps- are all the drying tikis in their bags?

Worst sound ever, slurp of an empty tiki mug through my straw!!!

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2017-01-25 21:26 ]

Wow Wendy, that....is....awesome! Maybe my favorite of all so far! That's a masterful sculpt. I love the look of the texture of the wood. I know what I'm asking for when the next wish list comes along! Thank you!!

Sounds like you are going to be Disney busy

U must be up to some fun...

hang10tiki any mug that has clay added to it has to be dried very slowly or the pieces will crack. So most of my Wish List mugs have me up and down putting them into and out of plastic bags. Your tiki as of today is 1/2 of the way to being dried. Maybe in another week it will be.

Tikiwahini I am so happy that you are pleased. The glazing will be hard but it will really pop by then. Oh that reminds me to go to the carving page to see if hang10tiki has aged his Disney tiki yet. Yes it is one of this series and it looks so good.

hang10tiki I have to do 3 black velvets of these tikis so I may have them memorized by the end of this Wish List.

hang10tiki we made 3 molds today. One was tiny, one was 1 piece and one was 2 pieces (fingers crossed that this one will work. We are so tired and achy that it's 7:30 PM and we are both heading to bed.

I wish we were on a trip.

=========================

Photos soon. Now I need rest. Cheers, Wendy

I've been really working hard but it so much fun because I started 3 months early and so I continue to be able to post each project in full. One day the posts will catch up with me but for now it's all easy to just pick a project and to put it here for view.

I ran out of slip again so it was off to Alpha Fired Arts. We are so lucky to have this place.
These Beatle ceramics are HUGE, bigger than life. They were done by ceramic artist Tony Natsoulas.

This isle is my favorite. Every jar is a 06 glaze.

While I shop the store Dan goes to the warehouse and

gets all our slip jars filled half way up. That way we can shake them before pouring and if necessary add water.

This Wish List #7 project is for Barb Lawrence. A cannibal pot with a hula girl wearing a lei.

I store my post upside down in a plastic bag until I am ready to use them. This keep the shape from collapsing.

I put the girl inside and then I start to

build the lip.

I add her hair and

The handles and she is done.

The thicker the clay the longer in and out of a plastic bag to dry. I have many projects in plastic bags.
The in and out is a daily chore.

Cheers for the day, Wendy

Outstanding

hang10tiki we thank you!

========================

One day a week we take a break from making tikis and go treasure hunting. Here are a few catch up photos from those excursions.

We went to a restaurant on Jiboom Street near Old Sacramento. There was a totem pole out front that had one face that looked tiki, the rest were wolves and eagles.

In this thrift shop there was furniture and records. Dan searched for an hour and came up with 12 albums and

these are those that were

South Pacific.

In Old Sacramento at Evangeline's I found these finger puppets that I will use as model when carving.

At Sears I was looking for big grained sand paper. I didn't find that but this wheel had a great texture for pressing into clay.

I was able to use a serrated knife to cut off pieces for use.

Here's a close up.

At a thrift store that was closing you could have an entire box filled for $5. Dan got a lot of albums and I bought a net.

After cutting off all the straps I will have plenty of net for hanging a mug on the frame of my black velvet painting for the next Tiki Oasis art show. Then the next one and the next one and the next one......

At another shrift shop we hit not gold but copper! From Chili.

A close up of the Moai.

We didn't start going to thrift stores until this past year. We now know that was a huge mistake!

Happy Hunting, Wendy

Good finds
Looks like u 2 had fun hunting
Cheers

At first I though u got Dan-0 some rain boots n gloves

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2017-01-29 12:41 ]

hang10tiki, Dan got tired of being my model. I was so happy to find a replacement. If these were big enough I know he would wear them.

============================

Awhile back I bought a lot of glaze from the Caner Society Shop. Now it's time to do the glaze tests so that they are ready to use on projects.

I took one jar from each color.

I put the number of the glaze on the bottom of the test strip tile I had made in the past.

I lined up the first set of jars. After vigorous shaking I also stirred them with a knife. Each jar has it's own brush.

All done with the first set.

Close up. The bottom strip has 3 layers, the middle 2 layers and the top 1 layer. This is all good information when it is time to glaze a project.

I also got a whole lot of these little squeeze bottles of glaze and so I did a few tests to see if it stay sharp or spreads.

Same here plus I did a 50 50 mix of white and pink to see if I can get a lighter pink for hang10tikis Royal Hawaiian mug.

I lined up the next batch. These jars were tall and narrow so I used bamboo skewers to mix the glaze.

Then to paint the stripes I would mix and pull out the skewer and take glaze with the brush from its side.

All done.

As I pull the bamboo skewer out I spin it between my fingers and almost all of the glaze returns to the har.

I had a few Jungle Gems that were new that also needed tests.

All of these are now ready to fire.

Wish List #7 Two Mars Attacks mugs, one female Martian and one Male Martian. This is one of Dan's favorite movies so I used his VHS tape as a guide along with some photos from the internet.

I started by cutting out an outline of the woman's body and attaching it to the mug.

I was careful to not trap any air as I worked to fuse the edges and to build the body.

This is very small so a lot of the time I worked to sculpt it with a wet brush.

I just keep adding clay here and there.

She has lots of hair to add, also detailing the face is important. Her lower face is peeling off exposing teeth.

These next photos just show how I would add and subtract clay trying to match her picture.

These photos cover many days of work. I have to let the clay firm up between additions.

More to come. Cheers, Wendy

T

See? You can learn lots about people with a just one line or two sometimes. "Mars Attacks" as one of Dan's favorite movies? Noted.

Actually, the movie is pretty cool, and now I want to see it again. I think I only saw it once in the theater.

I've also learned something from your photos- keeping ceramic forms "closed" to strength them when working on them. Interesting, and great advice. I'll have to try that out!

Beautiful work, as always, Wendy. For Jon's Royal Hawaiian pink, why not mix the Stroke and Coat glazes? I've done that a few times, and the color is pretty true pre and post firing.

TikiAno one of my glaze tests is a 50/50 mix of white and pink to see the result of mixing them. He needs a pale pink. I was told that Stroke and Coats are the best ones to mix. Looks like you know the same information. Thank you for confirming what I was told.

Dan loves campy Science Fiction movies from the 50's and Mars Attacks was a big budget movie based on those. Thank you for your comment on the mug too.

Wish List #7 the MARS ATTACKS! mug is finished after another weeks work. It is so much faster to not copy someone else's work. This was all copying.

I accidentally learned a new trick. I have put photos side by side.

When I first started I did one letter at a time. Now I have figured out how to place a band of clay and after it firms up in

a bag overnight I can carve into it the letters I need. So much better.

Done with the letters.

I added spaceships.

At my fingertip you can see how tiny I have had to make things on this mug. I use a painters brush to place and attach.

Next I had to carve a whole lot of cows running from the flaming countryside.

Finished and ready to slowly dry for a few weeks.

Do you like the photos side by side or just one after the next going down the page?

Next up will be the male version of this MARS ATTACKS! mug.

Cheers, Wendy

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 10816 replies